Morningside Cuesta On The Edge
Though the outlook be bleak, I remain undaunted
19 Posts
Ooc — Guardian
Private 

Adrastos sat at the top of Morningside Cuesta, only a few inches from the edge, with one paw hanging over. This seemed to be some sort of metaphor for his life. Adrastos was always on the edge of something. Be it the edge of danger, the edge of life and death, the edge of a fight or the edge of love. He had lived all seven of his years always treading on thin ice, or narrow cliff sides.

A warm spring breeze plucked at his slate grey fur with caressing fingers, causing the slightly longer hair on his neck and part of his back to sway and undulate like grass on a plain. His ragged ears twitched to the side or behind him, catching every nuance of sound in the area. Though it looked like the wolf was lost in thought, gazing over the edge of the cliff, Adrastos was very much alert. He hadn't survived this long by not being aware of his surroundings. 

Today was a beautiful day with the sun playing peek-a-boo with the big, fluffy clouds. Adrastos had been enjoying exploring this new land and had unexpectdly almost wandered over the edge of the cliff here. It was very decieving landscape. After the slight heart attack it had given him (though he would never admit it), he decided to rest here for a moment.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
That's it, Grayday thought sullenly; we'll have to start marking the borders.

He'd resisted the idea, at first, but his children lived and played and slept in this land, and here there was a stranger, right in the thick of it. Grayday had no idea how long he'd been there or from whence he'd come - only that he looked comfortable enough on his ledge.

The father trotted toward the unfamiliar form, making no effort to conceal his presence. The wind was blowing in his favor - which was how he'd detected the stranger in the first place - but he made sure to approach head-on, not wanting to give the impression of sneaking up on the older wolf. And though he kept his shoulders relaxed and his hackles flat, he couldn't keep his tail from flagging in a wordless warning: You don't want to tangle with me.

But more than that, Day didn't want to tangle with him, and so he stopped a few yards away from the other wolf's ledged and looked up at him, curious and wary.

"We've got cubs in the area, so I'd appreciate it if you moved along," he said politely and without preamble, hoping that the other wouldn't be obstinate about it.
He will loosen up, probably!
[Image: CYEyvJP.png?4]
What's Mine is Ours
19 Posts
Ooc — Guardian
Adrastos heard the other approach, before he saw him. The slight scrape of a nail against a pebble or perhaps the crunch of rock under paw. From his perch he watched the male approach, purpose in his step. Adrastos had not scented a border line or even seen anyone during his approach to this area. Surely he hadn't accidentaly tred upon pack land?

The older wolf's sharp silvery eyes noted the subtle body language of the gray male. Stiff enough to be wary and ready for anything, but not aggresive enough to elicit an immediate response from Adrastos. When the male spoke, it look everything in him not to chuckle. Hell if he was going to move on before he damn well pleased. It may look like he eats pups for breakfast, but he didn't.

"Have I wandered unknowly into claimed land?" Adrastos asked, his deep, gravelly voice holding a hit of amusement.

Teehee! Fun!
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
"No," he easily admitted, ears swivelling uncertainly as he sensed that this would be one of those encounters. Already, he gleaned that the older male was not in any hurry to leave. "My family's just passing through, but we've been settled here for a couple weeks, and we're thinking about staying for longer."

While he spoke, he scanned the stranger, taking careful note of his scent and appearance. Though he was not close enough to see clearly, Grayday could tell that the other was heavily scarred. Great, he thought to himself, not only do we have a stranger around, but a stranger that likes to fight.

But despite the man's appearance, Day could not yet bring himself to feel any particular way about him or his continued presence.

"So it's not exactly claimed - I'd just appreciate it," he went on, realizing that he'd paused his explanation to examine the stranger. "Because if you don't, I'm going to have to figure something else out."

At this, he allowed his tail to wag just a little, because it was a joke, partially, but it was also the truth. He'd hate to have to move the man.
What's Mine is Ours
19 Posts
Ooc — Guardian
The slate gray male stood then, still listening to the other's words as he spoke them. He bent forward, forearms on the ground and rump in the air in a big stretch, before sitting on his haunches. His ragged ears folded against his skull, then righted themselves again. He felt the urge to yawn as well, but suppresed it as he really didn't want to come off as rude and flippant.

Adrastos watched as the male paused and looked him over. He had no illusions as to what he saw. Averaged sized, monochromatic pelt, heavily scarred muzzle, missing half an ear while the other one mostly intact, but torn. He was all lean, hard muscle beneath his thick pelt. He wasn't pretty, but he had other skills.

He nodded as the other's oration began again. He respected that the male was concerned about his family and did genuinely want to keep them safe. He didn't know Adrastos and if he was a threat to them. A rumble formed from his belly as he chuckled. Indeed, if he planned on making him move, his pups could find themselves fatherless.

Adrastos stood. He would leave. Such is the life of a loner. Such is the life of a male with no family or friends. "I do not mean you nor your pups any harm, young one." He began, turning to leave. "In future, I would not tell the next stranger you happen upon that you have children in the area. They may not be as amiable as I."
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday backed up as the other male stood, giving him space to come down from his perch - and himself enough space to put up a good defense, if the other planned to attack. But Day sensed no aggression from the other, and found himself chuckling heartily when he spoke.

"It's been a long time since someone's had occassion to call me that," he exclaimed, tail wagging at the thought. Truthfully, it hadn't been a term tossed around much when he was a lad, and his own father had called him "buck-o" more than anything else - but somehow, he was still reminded of his father. "How old are you, anyway?" he wondered, his tone a bit admiring as he glanced over the other once more. Signs of age were written clearly over the other's face, but he seemed strong and limber.

"I'm Grayday, by the way," he added, ignoring the other's quip about the kids. Wolves would find out about them one way or another - this wolf would probably be able to smell them on his coat, considering how close he stood.
What's Mine is Ours
19 Posts
Ooc — Guardian
Congrats on COTM! Well deserved. (:

As Adrastos turned to leave, many thoughts came to mind. Would he be outcast everywhere he went? Granted, his current exile was his choice, but he had thought that by now he would have found another pack to settle in or at least a mate. What was this though? After he spoke he heard the other gray male chuckle. Adrastos swung his head around to look and indeed the male's demeanor had changed, tail wagging.

Adrastos allowed a slight smile to creep upon his maw and his own deep rumbling chuckle sounded from his chest. "Seven long years." He said in answer. No one had ever asked his age before, but he wasn't offended. Something about this younger male called to him. He nodded once. "Well met, Grayday. I am Adrastos." He spoke his name, head rising and shoulders squaring up a bit. Perhaps he should stop feeling sorry for himself?
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
"Four," Grayday offered, now sizing the other male up once more. Seven years? he thought, something a bit like relief blooming in his chest. If he can look that good... "But I'm already going blind," he added, ears falling back. He'd be lucky to make it to seven, and his pack... decidedly not. He hated to think of losing the sense completely, and being unable to function without a helper by his side.

"So, what brought you out this way?" he asked, wondering if Adrastos had left to avoid becoming a burden, as Grayday planned to do when he was old. But the male still looked to be in fighting shape, and Day doubted he would be labelled as a burden anytime soon. Where was his pack? Shouldn't a man like this be surrounded by his grandchildren?
What's Mine is Ours
19 Posts
Ooc — Guardian
Seeing as how he was going to be staying a bit in conversation with Grayday, Adrastos padded closer to the male and sat upon lean haunches. Four the younger one said, offering his own age. Adrastos was about four when he faked his death and left Rizduruk. Twas a good age, a prime age for a wolf. Adrastos frowned when Day mentioned that he was losing his sight. What was causing blindness in such a young soul.

"It is a shame to hear that, Grayday. Have you seen a healer?" Perhaps an experienced healer would know how to deal with such things or create some sort of salve to aid in such. Adrastos didn't know. Healing had never been a forte. Admittedly, he knew enough battlefield medicine to stop bleeding and bind wounds, but that was all.

Adrastos considered Grayday's question, as there were several answers. Adrastos decided to choose a less complicated one for now. "I am newly come to these lands. Been a loner these past three years."
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
"I've seen 'em," he replied, flicking his ears indifferently. It is what it is, he thought to say, but at the last moment, he didn't. Obviously, this would be more common sense than wisdom to someone of Adrastos's age. Yet not all was as expected with the stranger. He was not on an errand, away from his family for a short time. He'd been a loner for three years, something that caused Day's heart to thump unevenly for a moment.

"That's a shame," he replied, having a particular hatred for being alone. He didn't know how Adrastos felt about it, but even at four, Grayday was a self-centered creature, often unable to see past himself. "I guess... there's no reason you need to go. You seem like a good kind, and I don't mind if you take your time here. If you want, I can tell everyone to give you your space, but I wouldn't mind it if you came to stay with the rest of us," he offered, hoping he wouldn't come to regret this decision.

"Mind, I've got those pups counted," he added, trying for a bit of levity.
What's Mine is Ours
19 Posts
Ooc — Guardian
A mountainous cloud slowly eclipsed the spring sun, causing the day to darken slightly for several minutes. It was a bit of a relief, for Adrastos was beginnning to get a bit warm, even though he had shed out most of his winter coat. His torn ears laid back in sympathy at Grayday's short statement. How very frustrating it must be, to seek a cure and find none.

"I wouldn't mind it either." He remarked at the male's invitation to stay with them. It would do him good to meet some other wolves. "I can hunt and fight, for that matter, if your cubs ever needed protection." Then he chuckled, a deep rumble sounding like heavy stones moving against each other, at Grayday's humorous statement, tail wagging as well.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday regarded the other male a moment longer. Though his tail was still wagging, he was deliberating still, wondering if this was the best choice for his family; if Adrastos was really who he said he was. There was something about the other male that he liked, and that would have to be enough for the time being. He'd just have to keep a close eye on him until he was sure of the other's intentions.

(After all, he knew how well a monster could hide in the skin of a wolf.)

"Lemme show you where we're at," he said at last, turning toward the sunny slope they'd been lingering on for the past few weeks. "I'll introduce you to anyone that's there, and then we can give you a good rubbin' down for anyone that isn't," he decided, knowing that their mingled scents would vouch for the male if he ran into someone he hadn't met.
What's Mine is Ours
Family is not an important thing. It is everything.
223 Posts
Ooc — Ambz
*Throws Sylvas in*

He patrolled away from were the others settled, doing what came natural to him, deciding to keep a look out. His amber eyes watched the land till they finally settled upon two figures, lingering within the distance. The mercenary came to a slow halt in his stroll, his lean head tilting to the side as he observed the pair for a second, then without anymore hesitation, his large paws guided him onward and quickly. His rounded ears listened to the fading noises of the gathered wolves behind him as he jogged forward to meet the two wolves up ahead, one of them, Sylvas knew to be Grayday, but the other was unknown.

Slowing his gait to a walk as he approached the pair, panting softly, Sylvas offered Grayday and the other silver colored male a polite dip of his head, ”Grayday.” He said with a wag of his tail, though the mercenary's bright amber eyes looked toward the nameless male warily, his focus on the stranger, ”Is this a friend?” Sylvas asked curiously, now falling silent as he peered between them both.
19 Posts
Ooc — Guardian
Sorry for the slow reply...Life has been busy.

Adrastos knew Grayday was still a bit leery of him, for he had a slight torn look upon his face, as if he waged an inner debate. He must have made his decision because his eyes cleared a bit and he spoke. Older male turned as Grayday did, about to lead him to where the others had settled. He nodded, acknowledging that he had heard the other. He was glad that Grayday had accepted that he wasn't a threat so far. It was about time Adrastos had friends, allies...maybe even family.

A shift in the wind on the warm spring day brought the scent of another. Shortly after scenting the odor, Adrastos watched a brownish young male jog towards them, the slow himself to a walk. Adrastos did his best to appear non-threatening as the other approached. He even wagged his tail slightly, but kept his silvery blue eyes upon the male.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
No worries! I've been busy as well.
Grayday didn't feel any need to change or check his stace as Sylvas approached, unlike how he'd felt when approaching Adrastos. He'd reached a certain level of comfort with the other male, and assumed that Sylvas - easy-going as he was - would be neither offended nor intimidated by whatever posture he chose to take up. They were equals, and Grayday afforded the other male the same courtesy.

"This is Adrastos," Grayday introduced. "Adrastos, this is Sylvas - and yeah, I'll call him a friend." I'm pretty sure he won't eat the children was silently communicated to the other father through this exchange. But, obviously, I'll keep an eye on him. Grayday wasn't really sure how much he was getting across, but these things seemed like natural answers to natural questions, and he hoped Sylvas would simply assume that he'd thought about these things.
What's Mine is Ours
Family is not an important thing. It is everything.
223 Posts
Ooc — Ambz
Sylvas watched as the stranger offered him a friendly wag of his tail as he approached and the mercenary simply returned the gesture with a gentle wag of his own, along with smile to match. And slowly, as he peered back to Grayday, the male's brown ears arched forward as his friend's voice sounded over the silence, finally introducing the other as Adrastos. When the introductions were done, the young male gave a polite bow of his head, ”It's nice to meet you, Adrastos.” He said gruffly, the mercenary straightening himself as his amber eyes glanced back to Grayday when he then confirmed Adrastos to be a friend.

The brown male gave his head a firm nod and gradually looked back to Adrastos, his tail giving another wag as he replied gruffly, ”Well, a friend of Grayday's is a friend of mine.” He stated as he returned his stare back to Grayday, he was one wolf that Sylvas trusted fully and his golden eyes had read the other father's previous subtle signs, ”I guess, if you're a friend – you should meet the others.” The mercenary suggested, a singular ear twitching as he quietly glanced between them.