Bramblepoint the winding road
you ain't seen nothing like me yet
391 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Botanist
Private 
@Finley - maybe we back this up a couple days so it doesn't interfere with the current timeline? doesn't do much good for them to arrive at an empty RHC lol.

Hemlock had left their little troop tucked in the forest, although against her best interests she'd felt that they were on to something. They were moving down towards Teaghlaigh, towards it's grave, and that meant that perhaps the pack Lagan had been a part of was somewhere on the other side of the mountains. She wasn't interested in leaving Tapat behind but she knew that the boy desperately wanted to see Lagan again and if she could find the Caldera she would feel more comfortable. At least she would know the people that her eldest might be left with. 

Another freaking forest later and Hemlock was exasperated. How was it she'd never noticed how many there were? Or was it that she was almost happy to have their tall powerful presences to watch over her family and now it was like leaving her children with strangers; every moment that she was beyond them it felt like she might come back to another tragedy. Still, she trusted Ceallach and Tapat to at least keep the children safe even if she didn't know from what - she was just glad that the winds weren't so bitter and cold as they had been on the island. Maybe they'd never had a choice. Maybe it was the most logical move. 

She let out a soft breath as she broke from the treeline on the southernmost side of the Bramblepoint. It was completely unfamiliar to her - although she had crossed some of the terrain trying to find Roarke. She only vaguely recalled the lake and Sebastian and Andalusia - they'd been looking for their lost people, too. Now the terms were very different and for the mother, it came with the horrific realization that they were the lost ones.

available for naturalist and medical threads just tag her!
i grew a human and unfortunately as a horrible side effect lost an organ - as such will be slow from time to time.

[Image: naturalist_master.gif] 12/20
2,311 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Advisor
Master Coach
sorry for the delay! holidays amirite

It wasn't often that Finley left the borders of the Caldera anymore. She had given up her Scout title quite a few months ago, but she'd given up the actual hobby long before that. She would never admit it to anyone, but she missed it desperately. The greater Wilds held just as much fascination to her as it ever had. The excitement of adventure still pulled very strongly at her, but she had long ago learned that she couldn't trust herself to answer that call. She was too easily swept away in it and she simply couldn't afford to fall back into bad habits, not with an entire pack to care for.

Fin wandered further than usual today only in the interest of tracking what her nose told her was a small group of deer that she was assuming had inadvertently separated from a larger group. The trail told her that they weren't too far ahead of her - perhaps half a day, at most. The Blackthorn meant only to follow long enough to determine which direction they had gone upon reaching Bramblepoint before she would turn back and send her packmates after it. Willing the group hadn't headed towards Blackfeather, anyway. She paused to give a glare to the dark forest that hovered upon the horizon in the far distance, allowing the thought to distract her enough to allow another scent to prod at her consciousness.

The alpha tensed as she turned to peer through the trees. The scent was wolf, but a moment's inspection told her it was not Blackfeather. Better sense told her to move on, but she moved forward in search of the stranger anyway out of curiosity. Falling back into bad habits indeed.

It took Fin a few minutes to find the woman. She seemed pretty travel worn, and the scents of other wolves she carried upon her told the alpha that this one was not alone in her journey. She narrowed her smooth, chocolate eyes as she shifted into a guarded posture and stepped into view of the other. Fin chuffed to get the stranger's attention before getting right to business and asking "Who are you?" She didn't think this one would be a threat, but she wasn't willing to take the chance so near to her own borders.

391 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Botanist

Hemlock did not expect solitude for long - not when she could smell on the wind the scents of many more. Oblivious to the rise of tension in the wilds at large, she had no idea of the expectations for war. It was nice in that sense to only have her own issues to focus on. To her though, Hemlock felt like she was drowning - there was not enough air in her lungs to support her needs. Nor, more importantly, the needs of her children. 

Before too long another female approached and while they were on a neutral playing field, Hemlock did not respond with abject submission. Her stance was proud, if not refined, hardened by her experiences. The question wasn't unexpected either - it was a common enough one to have when it came to strangers passing through the world at large. "Hemlock Kali," She answered smoothly. "And you are?" it was an expected response after all given a typical interaction. "You live near here?" Again, almost boring and utterly expected - but still Hemlock was curious about things. 

i grew a human and unfortunately as a horrible side effect lost an organ - as such will be slow from time to time.

2,311 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Advisor
Master Coach
Sorry for the delay! Congratulations on your little one btw :D:D

There was no threat in the regard the other woman took of her, but Fin didn't relax just yet. She introduced herself and was quick to ask a question of her. The alpha hesitated before answering. It was still possible that this female was somehow working undercover for the enemy, and yet she really didn't believe that of her. Maybe she was going soft in her exhaustion over this whole thing. Or maybe it was because something in the woman's scent lead Fin to believe that she had children with her.

Yeah, it was probably the latter.

"Finley Blackthorn," she answered, the tension in her posture beginning to fade, "I'm alpha of a pack to the South." She paused before a frown settled onto her features and she asked, "Are you trying to settle in these woods?" Fin was ready to deter her from it if that was the case. First and foremost because of Blackfeather, but also because it was a little too close for comfort to her own claim.

391 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Botanist
thank you! The tiny overlord is the most amazing thing I've ever had a hand in haha. Also confusico because I swear I replied to this!

The pack to the south. She didn't know what pack it was but she was hopeful still. At the question Finley posed Hemlock shook her head. "No - my children and I have taken up residence in Neverwinter forest for refuge. I was trying to find Redhawk Caldera on behalf of my eldest son Tapat - he had a...... Well. A crush that lived there named Lagan." Hemlock felt herself smiling despite the reality of her situation just because of how pure Tapat was and how pure his emotions were. 

She would ask for more details if she was anywhere near the right pack and it wouldn't hurt at all for her to get some details about Lagan if she was, right? Either way. It was a mother's prerogative to snoop and neddle in their children's lives.

2,311 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Advisor
Master Coach
Finley's brows lifted in surprise at the woman's unexpected words. Not only was she looking for her pack, but for her son as well. A smile slid across her muzzle to match the other female's. She had heard something of her son's love interest. It seemed that it had been a while since they'd seen each other last. Perhaps that was about to change. Timing could've been better, though.

"Ah, well, you're in luck," she replied with a smile, "That is my pack, and Lagan is my son." She felt a glimmer of pride at saying those words.

391 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Botanist

Hemlock was equally surprised by the woman's admission, her tail wagging a few times. It was the first stroke of luck that the family had in what felt like months, and she was going to cling to the feeling. The fact that she had found the woman and by proxy Redhawk Caldera was astounding enough but the fact that she was Lagan's mother was just the icing on the cake. "What luck," Hemlock mused. "My Tapat has memory issues - he struggles and has no short term memory. The fact that he remembers Lagan at all, especially after so long, means that he truly must be special." Hemlock said with a grin. 

"I believe Lagan was the one who visited us, Tapat would most likely have gotten lost - I unfortunately never met him when he was there." Hemlock was eager to learn more about him. Not that she didn't think he was fine, upstanding young man, but it never hurt to learn more about the boy who her boy was so obsessed with. 

2,311 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Advisor
Master Coach
Fin saw the reflection of her own excitement on the other woman's face. This was kind of fun, actually. Only two of her kids had found a partner so far, but Fin had no idea who Thur's or even Rannoch's parents were let alone get the chance to meet them (fun fact: she totally knew Scimitar). It was interesting to get a perspective on her kid's significant other from someone who loved them just as much as she loved her Lagan.

"Yeah, Lagan takes after me that way - he loves to travel. He's a scout for our pack," she said, "Scout and Caretaker. He loves kids. He actually helped my mate and I raise our godkids after their parents died." She paused, wondering if she should tell the other woman this, but... why not? "You know, he asked me once about wanting to have kids of his own and I'm pretty sure he was asking with your son in mind."

391 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Botanist

Hemlock hadn't had someone grown to talk to in months it seemed. She hadn't exactly sought out anyone's company either - reclusiveness felt almost natural to her at this point. Having Finley there and having an adult conversation was so welcome - but of course it fell to their children. It was natural to most parents it seemed and Hemlock wasn't going to back off either. "Tapat has helped me considerably with my children as well - my wife died, and my husband had to handle business in his natal pack." She explained smoothly. It didn't even seem to register to her that she might need to explain her unique marriage, she was too focused on Tapat and Lagan. 

"So, do you wonder if we may be in-laws someday?" She asked with a little glint to her eyes. She wouldn't despise the possibilities especially of grandchildren but then Tapat wasn't old enough (Was he? She didn't actually know when he'd reach maturity. He'd always be her baby) and they'd have to have a surrogate. "If you can direct me I can bring Tapat to visit." Hemlock was eager to see how they all interacted so she could judge the family that might end up as part of hers. 

2,311 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Advisor
Master Coach
The woman's comment about her wife and her husband illicted little more than the smallest nod from her, and that was more from sympathy over her loss than any feelings towards the romantic relationship. Fin was a pretty worldly, open-minded creature. Plus, she'd lived with Peregrine for years. She'd never blinked an eye at his sexual appetites or family arrangements, and so she wouldn't at anyone else, regardless of her own more traditional preferences in those arenas.

"I hope so," she answered with a grin, "I think it would make my kid very happy, and I'm all about that." Considering all the loss she'd experienced with her children, it was her only desire now in life to see them happy in whatever way that was made possible. Boys dating boys, girls running off after boys, little boys and little girls doing battle with each other like little gladiators. It was all good.

"Just head South and you'll find us," she answered, "The Caldera looks like a mountain with its head cut off and it's sitting right in the middle of wide, flat plains, so you can't miss it."

Shortly thereafter, the conversation came to a close and the women parted ways - Fin for sure, but likely both eager to return to their sons with the news that they had seen one another and that they may soon be reunited.