Blacktail Deer Plateau lost lost lost
"Once you've met someone you never really forget them.
131 Posts
Ooc —
Private 

Where had he gone?

Normally, Sorrel was on top of her game when it came to searching out her brother, but it seemed like something had gone awry. She woke up, expecting to find him beside her (or at the most, a few yards away) but he was nowhere to be seen. It was probably nothing, she thought; if he was gone, then he would surely come back. After all, how far could one wolf roam?

Sorrel paced uncomfortably back and forth with her tail lashing behind her while she tried to figure out how she managed to sleep through his wake. There was no use in worrying herself, but she couldn't help it. So many changes, new faces here and there; Kieran was all she could count on. Being as such, Sorrel plopped herself down in his normal spot and waited, occasionally yelping quietly in hopes that he might hear.
"I'm dreaming! I'm dreaming!"
Chihiro, "Spirited Away" (2001)
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
He'd heard that there were new wolves around, but hadn't yet had the chance to introduce himself. One of them, he knew, was a patient of Pema as well as a sister of Kieran. The male was glad to know that the girl had found her way back to her family, and was eager to get to know the new addition to his own. The Streiters had been there for him since they'd first met, and thus, any blood of their was as good as blood of his own.

So when he caught the scent that had been intermingled with Kieran's so often lately, he followed it to its source, helped along by the soft whimpers that the girl was voicing.

"You alright?" he asked, nosing his way through the trees and finally coming upon the girl - a girl who seemed oddly familiar to him.
[Image: CYEyvJP.png?4]
What's Mine is Ours
131 Posts
Ooc —
Sorrel immediately climbed onto all fours in one swift, albeit painful motion. She was on defense initially, having been startled by the large male who now stood before her, but something about his presence was able to calm her. It was something she had noticed since being around family again; there was no need for fear. If she ever needed anything, she wasn't alone. Addy was only a call away. At least, Sorrel hoped he was.

After a moment or so of examining the older gray brute, Sorrel nodded her head. I'm okay.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Okay was one word for it. By scent alone, the male could detect that she was edgy and malnourished - malnourished by his standards, at least. And something else. "You smell - " he began, and then paused, ears flicking forward and back as he tried to place it. Finally, he found the name that went with her scent.

"Sorrel?" he asked, his heart leaping into his throat. "Is that really you?"

He remembered a scared little girl hiding in the bushes, just a little bit younger than his own children had been at the time. She was brown in his memories, but here and now, she was only a voice. One that sounded far different from the little-girl voice he remembered. Could it really be her?
What's Mine is Ours
131 Posts
Ooc —
Sorrel nodded her head, unaware that she'd just confirmed something marvelous. To her, it was logical that he would know her name; seemed like everyone knew she was Kieran's sister at least, but it hadn't occurred to her that her name might have made it through just yet. Your name? She tilted her head to the side, really getting a good look at the clearly aged brute. 

Again, there was something soothing about having him around. Not to the same degree as Kieran, of course, but there was something about him that seemed familiar, or safe rather. She didn't have the initial fear that she'd had with everyone else, and in part, that frightened her even more than he ever could.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
"Grayday," the male replied, though he doubted the girl would remember his name. His voice turned gentle, then. "You were young - I don't expect you to remember. You were only with me for a week or so..." He thought back with regret, having not looked for Sorrel as long as he should have. He'd had his own children to worry about, and other things on his mind. She'd deserved better, but what could be done, now? "I found you in the brush, and took you home and fed you - but a while later, you disappeared. No one knew where you'd gone."

He wanted to ask her, now, but refrained. "A few weeks after that, I ran into your brother and father," he said quietly, realizing with a jolt that a lot of pain and heartache could have been saved if he'd looked after her just a bit more closely. "I'm sorry I lost you, Sorrel. It shames me."
What's Mine is Ours
131 Posts
Ooc —
Sorrel didn't understand, and maybe she felt bad for it. Maybe bad wasn't the word. Maybe it was more of a guilty confusion; the memories, they were all so blurred. The name sounded familiar, even vaguely so, and it would have explained why he had this tranquil effect on her, but Sorrel just couldn't put the pieces together. Regardless, he apologized, and she knew better than to leave someone hanging after they'd put themselves out to be heard. For what? she asked, slowly stepping forward to get a better look at the man's face.

There was a clear look of forgiveness on her face, or sympathy, rather. I g'went with Maman. I lost her now. Sorrel looked away then, thinking back to how she and Maman had separated. That was something else she couldn't quite piece together, but maybe that was for the best.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
She did not offer verbal forgiveness, and Grayday, being mostly blind, could not see it writ across her face. But that was okay - he did not seek it from her, and instead, found a bit of redemption in her next words.

"I'm glad you weren't alone," said the male. "I still wish I'd done a better job looking after you. But now you're here with your brother and father, and we can get you back into fighting shape."

These words were a comfort to him. She was unhealthy now, but she would soon be as chubby as Easy. It would be alright. "What happened to Maman?" he asked, wondering if this was something he could help with. The woman might be dead - Sorrel hadn't been clear - but if she was not, they might be able to locate her come springtime.
What's Mine is Ours
131 Posts
Ooc —
Sorrel backed away a step while her head hung low, shaking slowly as she thought. I don't know. But she did know. Of course she knew; she knew, but she didn't understand. And if Sorrel didn't understand something, she didn't speak on it. That's how it had always been and that's how it would always be. So she lifted her head looked at Day through her baby blues, I don't know.

His other words then made it through her mind, giving her just enough perk to forget that they'd just been talking about Maman. We can get you back into fighting shape. Sorrel thought that this meant that they planned on having her going toe to toe with other wolves, being a real combat master of the woods which made her giggle. To even suggest that she might have some sort of skill as a mercenary, oh goodness, that was hilarious. I'm no fighter.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Her response was sad and a bit chilling, but Grayday didn't pry. He had a feeling that the wolf she was speaking of had probably died, but he wasn't going to ask. Come springtime, she'd hopefully either indicate a desire to search for the other, or they could all move on with their lives. There was a chance Grayday might not even be involved - perhaps the Streiters would handle this on their own.

"Not of wolves. But life is a fight, and right now, it looks a bit like you're losing," said Grayday with a bit of wry humor. "But you're with us, now. We'll get you nice and fat for winter, and come springtime, things will look much better." For he could tell that she was not wholly settled in this land. Perhaps she was not wholly settled in her body, either.
What's Mine is Ours
131 Posts
Ooc —
Sorrel thought on his words for a moment, trying to take in their meaning. Grayday was a kind wolf with an energy akin to that of a father. She didn't see much of her own these days — sometimes, she would go to see him on his patrols, but the two were hardly ever together aside from that — so she appreciated the idea of having someone who she could use in the meantime.

Another comfort was knowing that he wasn't a stranger; even if she didn't remember him, she trusted that he was telling the truth. After all, he had both Addy and papa following him, so he couldn't have been too bad. Sorrel gave a sheepish smile and replied with a nod of her head, Okay, nice and fat.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
She seemed to get it, then, and Grayday wagged his tail at her response. In his mind, she was still the tiny girl he'd plucked from the bushes, and something about her pattern of speech only reinforced that. Sorrel would be lucky to ever become an adult in the leader's eyes - something that would become very clear in the next couple of days.

"You were crying before," said the male, settling down where he stood. "Do you want me to stay here for a bit while you rest? Or did you need something?"
What's Mine is Ours
131 Posts
Ooc —
Addy, Sorrel whispered, suddenly remembering her earlier distress. Grayday's presence had served as temporary relief from the stress of her brother's absence, but his reminder had brought it all back. Mwen pa konnen ki kote li te ale. Not here, she whispered. Again, she knew that it was better to be rational — a hunter would more than likely be on a hunt, nothing more — but Sorrel couldn't help finding the most outlandish possibilities and running with them. Stay, Day, she asked, hoping that Grayday wouldn't leave her.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday's ears flickered at the unfamiliar language she spoke. French, he guessed, because that was what Kieran sometimes spoke. He was on the verge of asking what she'd said, but it didn't seem like it'd been very important. If she wanted him to understand something, she'd probably say it in English, right?

"I'll stay with you until Kieran gets back," he agreed with an easy bob of his head. He didn't like the idea of her out all alone.
What's Mine is Ours
131 Posts
Ooc —
We can wrap this up, if you'd like

Sorrel nodded her head after a moment's hesitation. She didn't necessarily want Grayday to be there in that moment, but he provided the promise of protection, safety. When Kieran came back and it was just the two of them again, Sorrel would be able to breathe a breath of relief, rather than the quick bursts of anxiety she took now.