Neverwinter Forest Unsettled
24 Posts
Ooc — Sable
Private 
For @Kavik!

Clouds continued to linger in the sky, darkening the day even before sunset arrived to herald the night. Within the forest of intertwined pine trees, it already felt like dusk, and Coriander stopped to narrow her eyes and strain through the growing darkness as she peered around her. Despite how welcoming the forest had looked when she’d entered, she couldn’t shake a eerie sense she had now.

With her head low, the unassuming wolf resumed her careful walk, stepping lightly and silently upon the soft forest floor. Her eyes, seemingly darker here in the shadows, shifted, searched, and even occasionally looked back over her shoulder. Cori saw nor heard anything unsettling, but this thick and growing darkness felt...uncomfortable. She wished she’d thought to travel it during the day. 

Even as her nervous thoughts suggested she turn around and leave, she didn’t stop moving. No, she had to keep moving...even if it was just to eventually circle around and follow her trail back out.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
He had been looking for ways to work of his negative energy, and he found that exploring the areas around his new territory served that purpose well. Kavik found himself in the wooded area not long after the sun had set. The forest here was denser than the forest on the plateau, forcing him to move across the soft ground at a slower pace than he liked. Nose to the ground, he took in the scents of the forest and its other inhabitants and was soon met with the fresh scent trail of an unknown wolf.

Had they been closer to his pack's lands, the presence of stranger would have caused him some unease, but they were far enough away that the scent created only a sense of curiosity. He moved to follow it, and was soon met with the sight of a sandy-colored female. With a chuff to announce his presence, he stopped a short distance from the other wolf and waited to be acknowledged.
I'm no good without you
24 Posts
Ooc — Sable
The longer she traveled through the forest, the more nervous she became. Coriander swore the shadows were thickening, and in certain places she was even sure she saw them move. Whether it was just a creature retreating from her approach or something of an ethereal build, she wasn't sure, and on the unlikely chance it was the latter she really didn't want to find out.

Her nerves had her so fully in their grasp that, when she heard the quiet chuff of a fellow wolf, her immediate reaction was to visibly jump. As her heart skipped a beat, the rest of her jolted in place, her head swinging around to stare wide-eyed at the patient, stoic-looking individual staring her way. Just another wolf! A sudden swell of relief surged through her at knowing she was safe.

...followed by a burning embarrassment. Cori's ears folded in a meek apology as she turned in place and offered a rueful chuckle. "I'm sorry, you startled me," she explained, seeing no way he wouldn't have noticed her start, "I thought I was alone."
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Although he had attempted to make his presence known, it seemed he had still startled the female. I should be the one apologizing. I did not mean to surprise you, he replied with a bow of his head. She smelled lone, and the last thing he wanted to do was make her feel uneasy. Taking a few slow steps in her direction, he added, I'm Kavik. I mean you no harm. My pack has recetly settled nearby, and I was just exploring the surrounding territories. 

His emerald gaze studied the female briefly. What brings you here? he asked a second later, wondering what might possess her to go wandering through a dark forest at night by herself. Not that she seemed weak or anything, but she did seem somewhat on edge, and he worried she may be in some kind of trouble.
I'm no good without you
24 Posts
Ooc — Sable
The male, Coriander realized, was gentle and polite despite his strong, stoic look. He spoke in a calm, measured tone and postured himself to make it clear his intent was simple and lacked any ill-will. The gesture wasn't lost on her, and she relaxed a little at a time until it became noticeable with another sheepish smile. Thankfully he didn't seem put off by her jumpiness.

His inquiry was easily answered, and she did so without much forethought. "I'm Coriander. I've just been wandering," Cori stated, "I don't really know why or where I'm going. I just am. These woods...earlier they looked nice. Not so scary. But then it started getting darker..." The wolf trailed off, her amber-brown eyes looking up and away as she took in the dark, thick forest that surrounded them. Now, with company at her side, it didn't seem quite as foreboding.

She chuckled and tipped her ears back with another note of embarrassment as her attention returned to the male, Kavik. "I should have probably thought this through better..."
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
She was a wanderer, or so he assumed by her statement and the fact that she was here by herself. Nice to meet you Coriander, he replied with a dip of his head. Yes these woods are a little unsettling at night, Kavik added, his emerald gaze scanning the trees around them. It was his first time in the forest, but it was clear that the night changed the feel of the area. 

Would you like some help getting out? He asked. The alpha could easily trace his own scent trail back out of the forest. It was likely not the same place she had entered, but at least she would be out. Once back in the plains, the female should be able to find her way to wherever she was headed without much problem. If she couldn't, he could most likely point her in the right direction.
I'm no good without you
24 Posts
Ooc — Sable
It was a relief to hear Kavik agree that the night atmosphere changed the feeling of the forest. At least now it wasn't all in her head. It really does though, Coriander mused, taking another second or so to pan her gaze around them through the trees and watching the way the shadows gathered in the deeper sections. She was wary of becoming lost within them.

Which made the offer of assistance all the more appealing. Cori's ears perked and her attention immediately fixed on the male wolf, her thanks already written in her eyes. "Yes. Please." There was no hesitation, no uncertainty to whether she should accept help from this relative stranger. Anything would certainly be better than wandering alone in the dark, with only the shadows for company, and with no idea which direction she ought to be traveling in.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Alright. Follow me, the Alpha responded with a quick nod of his head before turning towards the direction he had come. He walked for a few minutes without saying anything, occasionally placing his nose to the ground to take in the scents and make sure they were heading in the right direction. He turned to the female after a few minutes, emerald gaze friendly, and asked, Where do you come from, Coriander? He figured it wouldn't hurt to get to know the female while he was helping to lead her safely out of the shadowed forest.
I'm no good without you
24 Posts
Ooc — Sable
She realized as Kavik turned that he was retracing his steps, leading her wherever it was that he had originally come from. Though it was in a different direction than she'd been traveling, Coriander lowered her head and fell into obedient step behind him, with only a cautious glance given back over her shoulder. She told herself it didn't matter he was taking her a different way; very soon she would be back under a clear sky and that was more important.

A distracted silence settled between them as they walked. Cori's attention continued to shift about, eyeing the shadows with a wary eye and still sending occasional quick looks behind her. The soft voice of Kavik interrupted the quiet, a welcome reprieve from the encroaching darkness, and Coriander gave him her attention. "From the south," she explained. "My family kept a home near a forested river canyon. I think this is the furthest north I've ever traveled."

And the furthest from home I've ever been. She felt a little pang of homesickness, for the familiar life she'd left behind in search of one better suited to her needs. She wasn't going to find it by missing the ill-suited one she'd put behind her, however, and Coriander tried to keep her thoughts in the here and now. "I don't think I've ever been in a forest as thick as this one either."
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
As they moved though the trees, the female stated that she was from the south, which was quite the opposite of where he had come from. His home had been a ways up north in an arctic mountain range. Well, the winters here can be very cold. My pack is just east of here on the plateau if you find yourself needing a pack come winter, he offered. It was safe to assume that any wolf from the south would probably not survive a winter here on their own, and he would hate for Corriander to find herself in potentially dangerous situation in the unforgiving cold season. At her second comment, the Alpha nodded his head, Yes, this forest is abnormally dense, he replied. Thankfully, his scent trail was still easy to follow; he could see how easy it would be to get lost in these trees.

Finally, they reached the end of the forest, and Kavik lead the other wolf out into the grasslands. He stopped a short distance from the trees and turned to the female. Have you been here before? he asked. He didn't know where she had entered the forest, so this place could be completely foreign to her. If you need help finding a certain area, I can probably give you some directions, he offered. He had traveled a good amount of this side of the wilds recently and could probably be of some use to her.
I'm no good without you
24 Posts
Ooc — Sable
Cold. That was going to be interesting. The two winters she'd so far encountered in her southern home had been mild, quite tolerable and fun in the small challenges they had provided. It made her wonder what she should expect here in a few months, and whether she was ready to face it. "Thank you," Cori answered with a distracted thoughtfulness, her mind turning next to the pack Kavik had mentioned. What must that be like?

She didn't ask but kept to her thoughts as she followed her guide, eventually becoming aware that they had reached the end of the woods. Her relief was apparent as she strode more confidently out of the trees and stopped to stare back at them over her shoulder. She was going to need to be more careful about the places she explored.

Kavik's inquiry brought her attention back toward him, and she shook her head even before she panned her gaze across the new grassland before her. "I'm not sure where I'm going, really," Coriander answered truthfully, her shoulders rolling in a shrug-like gesture, "but it should be easier to travel here. Less scary, anyway." She smiled somewhat sheepishly and pushed through her lingering embarrassment. "Thank you. For helping me."
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Kavik nodded at her answer. It was no problem at all, he said, his tone genuine. There is a pack in the mountains, and quite a few on the other side of the range for you to choose from if that's what your next plan is. he added. If you plan to explore the flatlands a little, beware of the pack in the south, the Alpha warned. He never forgot what his mate had told him about the pack and always made sure to warn any wolves that might find themselves in the area. Anger bubbled in his chest at the memory of his mate's horrible past, but he quickly brushed it away, not wanting to alarm Coriander. 

Like I said, if you find yourself in need of a place to stay during the winter, please feel free to come to the plateau, he said. They would never turn away a wolf in need. He studied the female, concern evident in his expression. Are you sure there's nothing else I can help you with? he asked, wanting to make sure she knew he wouldn't mind in case she was holding anything back for fear of being an inconvenience to him.
I'm no good without you
24 Posts
Ooc — Sable
Helpfully, Kavik mentioned a few of the other packs that resided nearby, options that she could consider if her interest in joining one deepened. Coriander was curious, no doubt, but she hadn't yet made up her mind. Even in her inexperience, it was a big commitment, and she needed to be fully ready for it if she wished to join one. She was also grateful to know which one to avoid, and nodded her head as she soberly added the information to her memory.

Plateau. That must have been where this wolf and his pack lived. Cori smiled, grateful to have that particular option available to her, a sure place to stay with at least one friendly individual to make the transition easier. Kavik offered assistance once more, and she thought his expression looked nervous. A bit of that same nervousness slipped into Coriander too, causing a bit of anxiety to churn in her stomach. Should she leave him? He'd offered help, a place to stay. And she'd been lonely lately...

"I'll...I'll be okay," she answered, sounding a little less than certain despite managing to muster a rather weak smile, "The worst is behind me now. I'll stay away from the southern pack and...be more careful about my exploring from now on." Cori thought quickly, reluctant to depart now that she was free of the forest. Trying for nonchalance, her head tilted a little and she made herself ask, "Is there anywhere special I should try visiting?" Maybe Kavik had recommendations, hot spots she should see. Maybe it would make setting off again easier.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Coriander stated that she would be fine, and Kavik took her word for it. She seemed capable enough, so he had no reason not to. He thought about her question, mentally going over the parts of the wilds he had recently traveled with his pack. There is a valley to the southeast of the mountains you can see in the distance. There are a couple packs out there, and the area is beautiful and the prey is bountiful, he explained. He had a sort of fondness for the area, as it was where their journey had started, and where they had met the wolf that would eventually be their beta. 

The alpha glanced towards the mountains before resting his gaze back on the female in front of him. There is also a pack in the mountains if you're interested in staying there. It is also just as beautiful there, he added. He was unsure whether or not to mention the pack at first, given their history, but everything had ended peacefully, and he wouldn't discourage anyone from joining their ranks. If you do decide to spend time in the mountains, make sure to watch out for bears, Kavik warned. The Sunspire wolves had warned them about a mother bear and her cub, and he felt she needed have her wits about her should she decide to pay that area a visit. 
I'm no good without you
24 Posts
Ooc — Sable
Coriander was delighted to hear that Kavik did have recommendations. She made mental notes about the features of the southeast valley, and was encouraged to hear that more packs resided out in that area. So many packs... This place is much more populated than home was. It seemed even more likely now that she would be able to find a band to eventually join, a pack that might actually suit her needs.

And the mountains too! Cori followed Kavik's gaze in that general direction, wondering where that particular group of wolves was hidden. She felt surrounded by potential new friends, a drastic, positive change from the skittish loneliness that had crept over her within the forest they'd vacated. She smiled optimistically to herself, finding the thought of continuing on to be much less scary. Whichever direction she went, she was starting to doubt she would be alone for long.

"I will. Thank you, Kavik." Her tail swayed in appreciation against her legs. "Your pack is lucky to have you," she added, genuinely feeling that his kindness and generosity were all worthwhile traits. Maybe...maybe she'd swing back around to see his pack later. If the rest of the wolves there were like him, Coriander thought it must certainly be a lovely place to live.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian

He gave a bow of his inky head in response to her thanks, feeling it was unnecessary; she needed help, so he was glad to be of assistance. Her praise took him by surprise, and he wasn't really sure what to say. He shrugged his massive shoulders a little. I often think of it the other way around, he answered with a twinkle in his green eyes. It was a genuine statement for sure. He always considered himself very lucky to have found a group of wolves willing to follow his lead and help he and his mate establish a new home.

It was nice to meet you, Corriander. Good luck in your travels. If you need anything, feel free to call for me at the plateau, the alpha offered. Their pack was always willing to help anyone in need whether they wanted to join their ranks or not. 

I'm no good without you
24 Posts
Ooc — Sable
It appeared he was humble to boot, and his statement earned a small chuckle from Cori. Perhaps he was right too. Maybe he and his pack were well suited for each other, and there was plenty of luck to go around. I want that, she realized wistfully, adding yet another expectation by which to gauge a potential group a good fit for her personally.

"I will, thank you," she promised with a nod of surety, "and thank you again for your help." Though a thread of longing tugged within her, resisted the thought of leaving the kind Kavik behind, Coriander dipped her head once in formal farewell and turned to leave her newest acquaintance. She consoled herself with knowing where he and his pack resided, and vowed to seek him out should her further travels prove fruitless.

I'll be okay, she reminded herself, casting one quick glance over her shoulder before setting her sights ahead and resolutely moving on.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Kavik bowed his head in response to her thanks. He watched her leave, dipping his head to her when she glanced over her shoulder. When she was out of sight, the alpha turned and headed in the direction of the plateau. Part of him hoped she found her way back and maybe joined their pack; she seemed like she would fit in well. He hoped wherever she ended up, she would be happy, though. With no more hesitation, he trotted home, ready to be inside his borders again.
I'm no good without you