Stone Circle Lay me down to sleep
391 Posts
Ooc — Chey
Private 
@Mawk forwarded about 6 days.

She knew she was dying. She had gone from being able to patrol and catch small game to barely being able to move around the den areas, to now being laid up on her side inside her den. Her breathing sounded horrible even as well as it was and her fur was hot to the touch with fever. Her eyes stared out glassily into the trees of Easthollow. She wanted to go now, she didnt want the pain dragged out like this. Perhaps she would see Burr again and be able to be the mother she had failed to be in life. Maybe Rowana too since she had also vanished. Yet the one thing that kept her sucking in air and fighting the sleep was Mawk. "Mawk....Mawk...Mawk!" she kept trying to bark out his name until finally the call echoed enough she prayed he would hear.

She needed to say goodbye.
Deceased
323 Posts
Ooc — Belle
;-;

Something was wrong.

He had known it for a little while, but he thought perhaps optimism might clear his thoughts, might heal what he could not bear to lose - but his foolish mind had been wrong, and he knew it. The man had not slept, and it showed on his features; he looked terribly worn, and his mind was beginning to become plagued with doubt. He often dreamed of Illecebra, and his lost family, those who were among the dead and those who had disappeared into the autumn's fog, never to be seen again. His heart hurt, it felt like a deep wound in his chest, one that he could not reach to heal, and it made him feel weak - perhaps he was not a warrior after all, was not a protecter. Who, exactly, had he managed to protect?

He heard his name on the wind, and at first he had believed it only to be his mind, playing tricks on his tired soul - but it was repeated, and it grew louder as he walked, more real. Snapping out of his trance, Mawk began to race toward the sound and only stopped once his mate materialized into his vision, as beautiful as she had always been, and yet looking terribly lost. This was not right. She was not okay. He could see it, in the glassy surface of her eyes, the feverish shaking of her pelt; she was sick, but he did not know how to cure her. "Cebra, cebra, i'm here. It's okay, i'm with you."

The man nestled himself close, frowning as he felt the burning skin coating her body. Should he find a healer? Surely they would know what to do. His breaths were becoming short, panicked as he did his best to comfort her, to show her he was there.
391 Posts
Ooc — Chey
She was so scared he hadn't heard but her call had taken more effort then she could handle at the moment which was scary in itself. She lay there wheezing and coughing until blood spattered the ground with phlegm in it's midst. Then a shadow crossed her den and she rolled her eyes upward to see him. The moon glinted off his Amber eyes and she felt her inner panic still. Her breath caught and she stared at him, drinking him in and she smiled like she never had before. Of all the things she wished hardest, it was that she could just have a few more pain free days with her love. It was a wish not to come true, she knew she was dying and that it would come quickly now.

As he pressed into her she whined, moving into him like he could hold her soul to her body. "Mawk..." she whispered, eyes rolling up to drink him in again. How did she tell him what she knew would happen? That he'll lose her like they both lost all their children. "I'm dying Mawk. Been dying for a week now. I don't know what happened" she decided (in a very Cebra fashion) to just be blunt with it. "I'm sorry... I'm sorry all I've done is hurt. I love you so much. I don't..." she cut herself off. She didn't want to go. Saying it would only hurt more as there was nothing either one could do about it. "Please find a way to be happy. Don't let life do this anymore. Get out of here if you have to. Just be happy. For the both of us." speaking was starting to be hard, her breaths shortening and coughs starting to rise in her chest. She prayed Mawk wouldn't actually be there to see her die.
Deceased
323 Posts
Ooc — Belle
Splattered blood pooled around his love's paws, staining them red, and he felt as though he himself was bleeding, too. As though, while the pair lay there in despair, a part of Mawk's heart had withered from his chest and fallen into Illecebra's grasp; perhaps, then, she would keep it as she passed. Maybe, in some strange world, it would allow a part of him to remain with her, even in death. They would never be truly apart, not for one moment.

"I'm dying, Mawk."

Her words swirled around the scout's mind, embracing his thoughts, but only a choked sob could tumble so tenderly from his muzzle, falling as the tears did from his cheek. No, she couldn't die... He could bring nothing but silence to her mournful goodbye, apologising for her sins and her mistakes - It took a great, heaving intake of breath for a sentence to form on his lips and even then it was wavering, pausing and pained. "No... you healed, Illecebra... You loved... and you fought, and you did a damn good job of it." The sorrow, it was a powerful wave, crashing over his body until he was limp, drowned; the water crept into the crevices of his mind, pulling back with them handfuls of memories, like a washed up book of his mate's life. Her successes, her failures, her very existance and all that she had brought to the world. She had brought him happiness, love, she had brought him children - and they lived on in his heart, just as she would. "I love you too... I love you so much. I will not forget about you, not ever."

"Please find a way to be happy."

Another trembling sob wracked his body, and he pressed closer - if only to feel her warmth before it was gone, if only to feel her spirit at his side for the last time. Her energy was fading and he could see it in the very breaths she took, short and wrought with coughs, splutterings of blood and phlegm. She was dying, and she was dying before his very eyes. Mawk placed his head lovingly on her shoulders, wrapping himself around her as if for protection, a blanket of comfort for her last moments. "My sweet Illecebra," He whispered, so terribly soft. "Thank you... for b-bringing me all that you have. You gave me hope, and I... I will honour your life as b-best I can." It came as a whine, though a silent part of him begged her to stay, begged her not to leave him here; if she had to go, could she not take him with her?

He knew it to be impossible, but it did not cease the ache in his chest.
391 Posts
Ooc — Chey
No... don't cry a wave of pain surged through her and she whispered softly, pressing her face into his fur. How much more could this man of hers endure? How much pain would he have to go through? She hated that this would cause him even more. Yet despite his pain he spoke words of comfort, building her up like he always did and she gave a wheezy laugh her eyes gleaming with humor for a moment as she pulled away to look at him. Yet in a moment of clarity she understood, she wasn't horrible she was just mortal and like all mortals she made mistakes and failed at times. But where she had failed she also fought and survived and always came back to those who loved her. She did good. Was good. "You're right.... I've never been as horrible as I think myself to be. I did as good as anyone could under the circumstances life threw at me" the words were filled with acceptance and it seemed that acceptance brought her peace, as her body relaxed into the den floor with a heaving sigh.

It was then she realised she didn't want to die alone. She wanted him here, she wanted him to be the thing her life ended with  since truly he was the first thing it had begun with. This need struck her to the core as he said he loved her and she whined, wishing she could curl into him like a pup to it's mother. A pain stabbed through her ribs as she inhaled, resulting in loud and harsh coughs that she turned away from him to get out. More blood, dark crimson and looking black on the den floor came forth and she collapsed back into him panting with strenuous effort. "Don't go...please don't go." she whispered the plea, now scared of the end. Everything she had done in life would be simply memories, everyone she knew and loved would live on without her. Would he be happy? He needed someone to love, to care for. "Onyx...we haven't seen her in a long time. Since..the snake. Why don't you seek her out? You both need someone to love." she felt it click in her heart, another wave of peace settling within her. She was tired now, her whole body felt weighed down like it was sinking into the ground. "Mawk Saefyn....thank you for showing me goodness in life. I won't leave your side if there's a way I can watch over you" her voice grew slurred as she faded, eyes slowly closing.
Deceased
323 Posts
Ooc — Belle
A surge of sorrow tore through his chest again, seeing the way she slumped, and retched, and heaved. His love's time was closing in, but her words left him almost stunned - a warm feeling rose in his stomach and it took the man but a moment to place a name; proud. Mawk was proud of her. She had done all she could with what she had been given, and life had dealt her the difficult cards, the ones that others dreaded. Cebra had fought long and hard, and he was immensly proud of what she had achieved. Her passing would never be forgotten, and he swore to tell her story to whoever would listen. "Yes... yes you did."

She began to cough again, chest heaving with the blood that splattered from her maw - she tried to hide it from him, but it was not something that could be masked so easily. The sounds filled his ears and the scent of sickness plagued his leathery nose, but the scout did not leave. Her begging only kept him closer, brushing his tongue tenderly across her forehead, aiming to soothe her as best he could. "I-I won't go. I promise you I won't go."

Onyx...we haven't seen her in a long time.

Mawk's heart gave another pang of regret, of guilt - he ought to seek out his sister, it was true, but he must stay with his mate for her last breath. For now, it was all that mattered. But, in promise, the man quickly uttered his word, "Yes, I will seek her out. I'll tell her how brave you were... how brave you are." Then she gave him her thanks, and his eyes began to widen as her own closed, embracing at last the warm blanket of darkness that came with death, the peace of resting with the earth.

He was still, almost as still as she was; the silence was crushing, but he felt a glimmer of relief that she had found tranquility at last for all her troubles. She was safe now, even if the tears did roll down his cheeks. Even if his heart wanted to burst.

"I love you, Illecebra. Forever and always."

Thank you for playing Cebra the way you did! I absolutely adore her (and mawk does too), so it's sad to see her go but we had some amazing threads and i'm overjoyed to have been able to steal so many of them. I had great fun, and I hope you did too! RIP Illecebra <3