From the corner of his eye (ATTN: Yildun)
<small><i>avatar by lieu</i></small>
67 Posts
Ooc — Charmy
Post ran away with me...

this used to be my playground
this used to be my childhood dream
this used to be the place i ran to
whenever i was in need
of a friend
[size=3]why did it have to end[/size]

“That’s so interesting to me,” he replied, tilting his head slightly to the side. “I was taught the opposite; that black is all the colors combined and white is the absence of color. It’s fascinating to me that there are different interpretation of all things color. Sometimes I do wish that I could actually see…” It really was fascinating to him, especially since he couldn’t actually see things for himself. He had to take things at face value from what others told him.

His tail swayed a little more behind him when she said that she’d like to see him in action. Yildun had never before offered to actually hunt for someone, but it just seemed like the right thing to do. He didn’t want her to think that he was completely helpless just because he was blind. Granted, he couldn’t hunt large prey or hunt in a pack hunt like the other members could do, but he could still hunt none the less. It was just a matter of making absolute sure that he knew the exact layout of the land to be able to avoid running into something or stepping in a hole. “I almost have the territory memorized. I will definitely let you know when I’m ready.”

She asked him if he’d like to talk about his father and his smile faltered. The sadness began to wash in around him and his ears slicked backward a little bit. “My dad was everything to me,” he responded, giving a soft sigh. “He was my protector, my provider, my teacher, my best friend. He encouraged me to learn, helped me on my first time hunting. I remember it clearly. It was a squirrel that had already been slightly injured. My dad helped by not helping and only giving encouragement as to which direction I needed to go. It was the most awesome feeling when I caught it. I had pounced on it and, in my excitement of catching it, almost forgot to actually kill it. Dad had to remind me.” He laughed, softly, as he remembered that day.

He missed his dad. So very much, he missed his dad. It was hard being without him, honestly. Having to rely on everyone else and ending up feeling more like a burden than anything. Even when others assured him that he wasn’t a burden, he still felt like he was. “He took me to this place that was adjacent to our pack lands that was flat and without trees so that I could run,” he continued, a faint smile touching his face. “It was the first time I ever felt the wind on my face. He ran with me. It felt like… it felt like I was flying.” Oh how he had enjoyed that entire afternoon with just him and his dad, flying across the field without a worry or care in the world. It had been amazing.

“When he started getting sick, he would forget who I was,” he hung his head as he spoke. “I didn’t understand why or what was going on. It seemed to drag on and on. And the longer it went on, the less he remembered me. That’s when Julooke stepped in and took over taking care of me. I know the loss of our parents has been hard on her, too… combined with having to take care of me. I feel like a burden more often than not…”

<i>"Sometimes there is no darker place than our thoughts, the moonless midnight of the mind."</i>
171 Posts
Ooc —
Yildun seemed to wilt slightly, yet he obliged her and began to describe his relationship with his father. The two of them had shared a special bond, not unlike the one Koontz had developed with her own father. Her lips twitched as he recalled his first hunt, then his first real run. Koontz had similar memories, though she imagined hers were quite different than his, that his contained many more sensations than her own.

He described the deterioration of his dad's mind. Dementia, she thought without saying it aloud. She frowned. It was bad enough to lose somebody, yet watching their mind go prior to their death was like adding insult to injury. Koontz shuddered at the thought of her parents forgetting who she was. She knew her mother had once had amnesia and had, in fact, never recovered some of her lost memories. The yearling shivered again.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Yildun," Koontz said, lamely but genuinely. "Don't worry. I won't let you be a burden," she assured him lightly, making sure to inject some playfulness into her voice. "I mean, that's why I came here: to figure out just how you can best contribute to the pack. Do you think you'd be interested in being a Dreamserpent, after all, or shall we go in a different direction?"
67 Posts
Ooc — Charmy
whenever i was in need
of a friend

“I haven’t been able to be not sad since my parents’ were found. They died together.” Luckily for him, he hadn’t been the one to find them, nor had he had to see their bodies at all. It had been hard enough on him as it was. “I haven’t talked about any of this with Julooke because she’s got enough of her own to deal with. I know she’s taken it all really hard, too, and it can’t be any easier on her to have to help with me on top of it all.” Yildun sighed, allowing his rump to touch the ground behind him.

It was hard to think of himself as anything but a burden. Granted, he could hunt but not with the pack and nothing bigger than a plump rabbit, but that didn’t make up for not being able to do anything else that others with sight could do without problem. He couldn’t defend himself. He couldn’t defend the pack. How could he not be a burden? Her question pulled his mind away from the depressive thoughts that were running through his mind. “I’ll do it,” he finally answered, giving a nod of his head, thinking about how she’d said she’d help him with it. If it weren’t for that, he wasn’t sure if he’d be so willing to at least give it a try.

<i>"Sometimes there is no darker place than our thoughts, the moonless midnight of the mind."</i>
171 Posts
Ooc —
When Yildun agreed to do it, she said, "If it doesn't end up being the right fit, we'll find something else for you to do." Although he could and should take this as reassurance, Koontz didn't say it simply for that reason. Her pack could not afford to have a member who didn't contribute, so they would have to find something for him to do, even if it wasn't something as typical as fighting for the pack or providing food, et cetera.

Koontz sensed that she had worn out her welcome with Yildun. He didn't seem to be tired of or bothered by her at all, though the conversation seemed to have worn on him a bit. Especially the talk of his dead father. Out of respect, she decided she should go. It would also give him time to ponder his new duty while it was fresh in his head.

"Well, I have some things I have to do. I'll check in with you soon and see how it's going," the young Alpha said amiably, rising to all fours and preparing to go. She paused, wondering if it would be in poor taste to say something like, See you later to a wolf like Yildun. Unwilling to risk hurting his feelings, Koontz smilingly said, "Smell you later," instead. She knew he would hear the friendliness in her voice, as well as her light laugh, as she turned and walked slowly back across the plateau.
67 Posts
Ooc — Charmy
whenever i was in need
of a friend

He was appreciative to what she added and he gave a nod to show that he understood. Yildun knew that he was going to have to try to do whatever it took to try to make this job work because he also knew that there wasn’t a whole lot of options for him and he really didn’t want to continue to be a burden to anyone. No, he wouldn’t allow himself to be a further burden to anyone, be it Julooke, Koontz or the pack as a whole. What that would mean in the long run was yet to be determined, though, because it really could have meant anything.

The sightless young male was ready for solitude again but he didn’t want to be rude and ask her to leave. It seemed, though, that he wasn’t going to have to anyway as he listened to her saying she had some things to do. This was not hurting his feelings, at all. After having spoken about his father, bringing all those emotions up and to the front again, wore him out, emotionally. “Not if I smell you first,” he half-heartedly teased back. He could have gone into how he’d hear her coming long before she actually arrived but decided not to. “And thanks… for talking with me and for listening and stuff.”

After she’d gone and he couldn’t hear her anymore, the sightless young male rose from his sitting position and retreated to the hidden den he’d found for when he wanted time entirely to himself. He’d end up remaining there for the rest of the night, avoiding anyone and everyone for the time being.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »