Wapun Meadow The delicate art of bird herding
105 Posts
Ooc —
@Liri and @Siqsa Takes place the morning after this thread. Let me know if I should edit anything here, as I know there is some pp. Also, we can determine success or failure via dice, or we can all just catch a bird, I don't care either way.
Sorin had led his new companions out into the meadow as the first rays of morning sunlight touched the ground below. Liri and him had discussed the hunt the night before, and had filled Siqsa in when they had all woken. Now, he looked out out across the wide meadow, his nose searching for any scent he could find. The pheasants he was searching for would be most active at this time, although they would be harder to locate given the winter conditions. Nonetheless, Sorin was hopeful.

"Keep your ears open for any cackles, and your nose sharp for scent," he murmured quietly to the two, before striding out into the snow covered meadow. He inhaled deeply, trying to pick up on any scent. Unfortunately, no scent came readily. However, he had hardly expected it to be so easy.

He continued on, only just aware of his companions, totally focused in on the hunt. Stalking pheasant took extreme focus, if one wasn't careful, the birds could be long gone by the time any scent was picked up. Thus, it also took a good deal of patience. He roamed on the plain, zigging and zagging so as to cover as much ground as possible while still going in a general westerly direction.

Finally, he picked up on scent, and stopped quickly. He took a good whiff, guessing around four or five birds. Perfect numbers for the three of them. He followed the scent more carefully now, going slower as the scent became hotter and hotter. The birds led them on for a ways, before suddenly the scent became incredibly fresh. He stopped quickly, gesturing with a slight flick of his tail for the others to do the same.  

Sorin scanned the area ahead, seeing the large bushes that stretched on for many paces before giving way to more grassland. He had no doubt the birds where holed up in the bush. "Siqsa you're the ambusher. Stalk your way around the cover in front to the other side. Wait on the edge, but don't sit right in front of the bushes. When I give the signal, get ready to grab a bird on the fly."

Sorin waited a while, wanting to give the other man plenty of time before Liri and him started pushing the birds. While they waited, Soirn gave her instructions. "I'll set the pace, so just try to match it. If any bird strays away from the main grouping, herd it back in towards Siqsa. Don't push them too hard though, they'll flush early if you do. Better to take it easy." He waited to see if she had any questions before starting the stalk.
Messages In This Thread
The delicate art of bird herding - by Sorin - February 21, 2019, 02:08 AM
RE: The delicate art of bird herding - by Síff - February 21, 2019, 02:37 AM
RE: The delicate art of bird herding - by Sorin - March 11, 2019, 10:05 PM
RE: The delicate art of bird herding - by Síff - March 15, 2019, 01:24 AM