he came and stole the wild
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Private 
Attention: @Gannet!
Weather: 18˚ Clear throughout the day.

Rannoch had an itch that couldn't be satisfied. An hour had been wasted, and the discomfort still prevailed; he was growing desperate. Ocean-like eyes darted across the blanketed territory, and wisps of breath danced from his muzzle. An inkling emerged unexpectedly from his silent contemplation: he hadn't attempted to use a tree trunk to his advantage. Without hesitation, Rannoch eagerly sought the nearest stalk. 

He rubbed himself against the rough hide and felt relief almost instantly. "Ahhh," he sighed, leaning into the bark as he wriggled his shoulders. In time, Rannoch hoisted himself onto his hind-legs so that he could scratch both shoulders at once. As far as he was concerned, he was occupied for the foreseeable future—he had finally found the remedy to his dry skin.
a crime so old as the sky and bone
he came untied, solid as a stone
all is almost lost and it starts to show
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet hadn't seen a whole lot of Rannoch since joining, or Liffey for that matter. He wasn't bothered by this - they'd traveled and had family, and he was preoccupied in his attempts to gain a healer's trade.

But today he wanted to go visit his friend, and he was on his way to say hello to Liffey when he spotted Rannoch in a rather unusual position. He froze and watched, perplexed, as Rannoch rose up on hind legs against a tree.

Are you okay? he asked at length, approaching from the side. If he was hurt, that didn't seem like the safest way to take care of it.
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
(Most thread titles come from Into the Fire from the Scarlet Pimpernel)
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Note: Congratulations on 600 posts with Gah-nay! <3

Despite being caught off guard, Rannoch's shimmying persisted—it felt too good for him to stop. "Oh, Gannet, hey!" he greeted, turning his attention towards his packmate. 

"I'm pretty itchy—it started out of the blue this morning, and it's been driving me crazy—" Rannoch replied, addressing Gannet's concern, "—this seems to help, though!"
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Oh. Gannet watched a moment longer, then questioned have you tried water? It was cold to be taking a dip, yes, but sometimes the water could relieve an itch like nothing else could. It got rid of extra fur and soothed dry skin, and in spring Gannet had done it often. Not in the large waters anymore though, not since... well.

Have to wait though, I guess he added, looking at the sky and ruffing his fur up subconsciously against the chill.
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Water? Rannoch paused his shimmying, and cast a curious glance in Gannet's direction; he hadn't considered that remedy. "I haven't," he replied, contemplating the benefit, "But, yeah, I think it'll have to wait, too," he decided. 

"Do you know of anything that might help while we wait for it to warm up?" he asked then, feeling the irritation along his shoulders return. Rannoch needed relief, and he needed it as soon as possible.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet had to really think for a moment on that. Water worked because it was cool and soothing on the skin. What else would have that effect?

There was usually a plant, but he didn't know of any that could be found right now off the top of his head. I'll ask, he resolved, thinking of his plans to visit Elysium again. Someone would know. But maybe fish?

He wasn't sure why, but something about fish sounded right. If Rannoch ate it it might help. It at least couldn't hurt, until he found out more.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
"Fish?" Rannoch repeated with blatant curiosity; he hadn't considered anything beyond herbs and scratching. "If you think it'll work, then I'll try it." Although living in Blackrock Depths had given him a strong aversion to consuming fish, he would do anything to make his itching go away. 

"Is there a particular type I should eat?" he asked, wondering if they'd be able to find some within the hollow.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He didn't think so, and shook his head. No, any. There wasn't too much difference between the different kinds. I can ask for more too. He was beginning to form a list of good questions to ask those who knew a thing or two, and he added that to the list of questions worth finding out.

I might have to travel to learn, though, he added, wondering what Rannoch might make of that. He wouldn't until the weather was nice, but he couldn't imagine anyone here might mind. Treason hadn't seemed like she hated the idea.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Alright, he'd stomach it. "Sound good," Rannoch lied, "Thanks, Gannet." 

What Gannet said next was unexpected, and it caused Rannoch to momentarily disregard his discomfort. "How soon?" he asked; he wasn't opposed to the idea. "And how far? the questions came easily, "Will you need somebody to travel with you?"
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Not unless they want to, he replied, indifferent to it. He didn't mind traveling alone. When it's warm. It was semi but not there yet, and he didn't want to leave them with expectant mothers and questionable weather. Not far, just around. I want to learn as much as I can. He assumed different places would have different knowledge and for now would stay close. Eventually though... perhaps he could seek knowledge further out.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
"You have my support," Rannoch endorsed; Gannet's excursion would benefit the pack, he was certain. A sharp tickle flared upon Rannoch shoulders, and quickly, he re-directed their conversation. "So... this fish," he began, rolling his shoulders, "Should we go and get it?" 

"It's really starting to itch," he elaborated with a chuckle. Although he could have easily left and gotten the fish himself, Rannoch wanted to keep Gannet's company for a little longer. It had been some time since they had last spoken, and he wanted to see how his packmate was doing.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet enjoyed fishing quite a bit and immediately nodded, smiling. If we fish, and it isn't cold, the water could help too. he answered with a wide wave of his tail, then set off immediately in the direction he knew water to be. If Rannoch led a different way, he'd follow, but he thought nothing of choosing.

He was silent as they walked, as usual. Idle conversation wasn't really his habit. However, if Rannoch wished to ask questions, his friendly demeanor displayed clearly he'd have no trouble getting answers.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Although the thought of swimming in the midst of Winter didn't sound appealing, Rannoch was ready to try anything to alleviate his itching. "Yeah, we'll try that too," he replied, liking that there was an alternative to eating fish. "I wonder what brought this on," Rannoch then wondered aloud, realizing that he had never been quite this itchy, "Sure, I've itched before... but nothing like this." He tilted his head, and looked to Gannet, wondering what his perspective on the matter was.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet wasn't sure how to answer, so he didn't. Skin care wasn't something he had a lot of knowledge on, and outside of imagining what instinctually might help, he was at a loss.

Because of this, Rannoch's question fell into amicable silence as Gannet continued on with him towards the river.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Gannet's silence was unsettling. "But, I'm thankful that you're helping me out," he elaborated, filling the uncomfortable silence. "Have you always been interested in medicine?" Rannoch couldn't recall if Gannet had been a medic when they lived at Moonspear.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Luckily for both of them, Rannoch picked up the conversation. Gannet did not mind the silence in any way, and did not find it uncomfortable, but it would be a pretty boring thread if he was left to drive.

Rannoch's question was an easy one to answer. No. I didn't know before. He'd had no clue what he wanted to do with himself prior to settling on this path. But I knew I like to help. This makes sense. He looked at the plants around them as they walked, but none seemed a useful sort. What do you like to do? Rannoch was a leader here, but aside from that, Gannet knew very little about him.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
"It does," Rannoch agreed; he had previously considered a similar path. "I like to help, too," he elaborated. "But, I'm not smart enough to be a medic," Rannoch wasn't disconcerted by this truth, "It takes a special wolf to be a medic, and I think you'll be a fantastic one, Gannet." 

"I like helping in a different way," he clarified, clearing his throat after a pause, "I like helping keep the peace, and teaching the younger generation." Rannoch liked being supportive—he believed that it was his biggest strength.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Everything that Rannoch said made sense aside from the comment about not being smart enough. Gannet didn't believe it took intelligence to make a healer - just a willingness to learn and to help best he could. Did that mean he was smart? He didn't feel any moreso than Rannoch seemed.

That takes a smart wolf too, he said, frowning slightly. He didn't realize that Rannoch was being flippant and didn't think he wasn't good enough. Teaching. He wasn't smart enough yet to do that but he was learning, and eventually he would get there.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch considered Gannet's words for a moment before speaking. "You know, I guess you're right," he replied, his expression thoughtful. "I guess I just focus my knowledge on different things..." he trailed, realizing that perhaps he wasn't giving himself more credit. "I just always was intimidated by the sheer amount of knowledge that medic's hold—all the herbs, how to use them... it always seems like so much to me." He shrugged, unable to find the words to articulate his thoughts further. 

"I guess I just didn't think that my teachings felt as smart as medicinal knowledge," Rannoch resolved.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
It's all a lot, Gannet responded with an understanding smile. He did not like to see Rannoch's underestimation but he wouldn't judge it. Most didn't realize their worth, or felt like they couldn't. Gannet had learned for himself that he felt most worthwhile when he had helped someone else feel worthwhile, so by making Rannoch see this, he felt better as well.

Teaching is a lot. He paused as an idea took him. When I learn what I should learn, could you teach me how to teach? he asked suddenly. He wanted to spread the knowledge he gained to others, but he'd never tried reaching before and wasn't sure he was up to the task.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch smiled; he'd be honored to teach Gannet. "Of course," he replied. "Just let me know when, and I'll be here for you, Gannet." Although the time between now and when he'd be able to teach was undetermined, Rannoch was excited about the opportunity. 

The two wolves trekked further into the territory, their conversation continuing until they found a suitable scaled-morsel for Rannoch to eat. Once Gannet had fully instructed Rannoch about what could help, the two parted ways. In time, he would find that the remedies would ease him of the irritation.