Swiftcurrent Creek Please help me chop this tree down
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Private 
Tracking the herd of deer that frequented the creek had become sort of an obsession for the alpha. He had already grown to know the territory as well as he had once known the plateau, and part of knowing the land was learning the patterns of the prey they shared it with. It was early; the sun had just peaked over the mountains to reflect on the water like little diamonds. Kavik was perched near a perfectly-sized rock that hid his large form from the herd as long as he was lying down. He had woken long before the sun this morning, and after a quick inventory of the family to ensure that all six were there and still fast asleep, he had padded quietly from the den. His intention had been to work off his restless energy on a patrol--something he had always found helpful, but the scent of the herd had changed his mind. Now he poured his extra energy into studying the deer, trying not to think about their last pack hunt and how disastrous it had been. One mistake had injured @Rosalie and nearly cost them the meal. He forcefully pushed the anxious thoughts from his mind, focusing all of his attention on the quietly grazing beasts on the other side of the fast-flowing creek; he didn't wish to think of that this morning.
I'm no good without you
~ the outsider ~
183 Posts
Ooc —

She wasn’t sure what had taken over her to wander from the den at this hour, but as she roused herself, she noticed the large male that was becoming a staple in her life had left. Curiosity peaked; Rosalie rose gingerly avoiding putting weight on her injured left shoulder. Despite the injury, Lie had had a blast on the last pack hunt, and a smile came forth as she remembered the exhilarating event. This has been her first genuine pack hunt, and the presence of her packmates had made the meal so much sweeter. She felt at home, and she liked it.

Looking back toward Alessia and the babes Lie let her know she would be back in a minute, to which the dark pelted mother simply nodded and reminded her to bring her a meal. With a small laugh Lie nodded and headed out, nose to the ground she sought out the large brute that was missing from the family picture.

Lie was less conflicted about their relations; the man had wormed his way into her family. Having helped her back to the den and retrieving their latest healer to help her, Kavik had been attentive to her injury. Obviously worried. She knew she was fine, the injury rather minor considering everything that had happened to her. But it was nice to have someone care, even a little.

Slowly the scent of the pack mingled with that of the herd, and Lie wondered if her the alpha was tracking the herd once more. Being of smaller stature had its advantages in this situation, as she caught sight of Kavik. Although there was little way for her to make her way toward the man without startling the herd. Instead she waited, happy to simply watch with him.
1/5
5/5
~ i haven't played that song since my wife died ~
lie can be pp'd by anyone listed as family on her profile

"common", "french" 1/5 posts
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
He picked up her scent almost immediately as she neared the herd, tuned into her just as much as he was the rest of the family. He waited silently for her to join him and just as he began to wonder where she might be, a flash of gold and brown made him turn his head; she was there, watching the herd, and he realized she wasn't able to come any closer for now. If his instincts were correct and the deer stuck to their normal pattern, he knew they would soon drift a little farther away, making it possible for him to move closer to her as long as he was quiet. So for now, he just offered a nod of greeting in her direction before turning his attention back to the grazing beasts 

It was a while before they had shifted far enough away for him to safely move, but the two of them kept their positions. He was content to do this all day, but he wanted to check on Rosalie's injury as well as make sure she hadn't been seeking him out because she needed something. So with cautious eyes on the still-unsuspecting animals, Kavik slowly got to his feet and padded over to her on silent paws. When he had settled back down beside her, he nodded once more. Rosalie he said first, careful to keep his voice low. How is your shoulder? His eyes fell to the appendage in question, making sure it didn't look worse than the last time he saw it.
I'm no good without you
~ the outsider ~
183 Posts
Ooc —

As seafoam green eyes wandered the large beasts, Lie found the action relaxing. She tried to understand what Kavik might be looking for, there were several cows who appeared to be pregnant. Instinctively Lie knew that to be good for the wolves living within Swiftcurrent. Her children wouldn’t be lacking food as they lost their milk teeth. The two wolves sat for a long period of time, simply watching their prey, until finally they had moved off enough for Kavik to tiptoe over.

He settled alongside her and Lie offered him a small smile and a dip of her head in greeting. “Morning Kavik.” Glancing at her shoulder, there was a small gash but it was mostly just a bad bruise. More annoying than anything. “It’s fine, not the worst injury I’ve ever had.” If she could have shrugged without wincing she would have, but she new any sign of pain might send the man into a panic and so she kept her signature shrugs to herself.

“Thank you, for helping me.” She was slightly embarrassed by admitting she need help, but he deserved it. She wasn’t 100% sure but she was pretty sure he blamed himself. Even though there was nothing he could have done, and she was happy. It was a minor price to pay to feed the pack that had become her home.
1/5
5/5

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Still his gaze lingered on her injury, even when she assured him she was fine. Alright, good, he replied hesitantly, at least glad to see she was still able to get out of the den and do things. Still, he wondered if she was just being stubborn, but he didn't press her; she was an adult and if she said she was fine, then he would respect it...at least outwardly so. Secretly he would keep an eye on things and make sure she was actually continuing to get better. He shook his head at her thanks; it was completely unnecessary. Of course, he replied. It was the least I could do. He had tried to manage the mess of a situation, but he had been unable to keep her from getting injured. Guilt made him return his gaze to the deer, watching them as they easily kept their formation. It took him a lot of studying, but he had started to notice certain things about the way they were grouped. Anytime there was a member of the herd that made them vulnerable in some way, Kavik had noticed that they stayed towards the center. He had formed some theories for this as he turned the observation over in his mind. He thought one reason was that, in the event of an attack, they were protected from the initial blow, giving them some extra time to run away. He had also noticed that being in the center of the herd made them harder to spot from anyone watching from the outside, and he wondered if that was part of their strategy. Even now, the few pregnant females were tucked into the center, the swell of their abdomens barely visible through the bodies of the other deer. But Kavik had been watching for a while, and his patience had paid off; now he knew to keep an eye on them and any other members that he noticed hanging near the center of the group. 

He turned back to Rosalie after a few minutes. Were you tracking the herd, too, or looking for me? he asked. He hoped she didn't bring any news of trouble, but he would deal with whatever needed to be dealt with, especially if it concerned her or any other members of the family.
I'm no good without you
~ the outsider ~
183 Posts
Ooc —

Of course the man brushed off her appreciation, Lie raised a delicate brow. Obviously, she wasn’t quick to praise, and she believe he should take the thanks with grace. But she was quickly realizing that taking wasn’t part of who Kavik was.

He turned his gaze from her, and she gave an unseen frown. Ignoring his question and the herd for a moment she observed him. Looking for something that might be wrong and coming up empty. “What’s wrong Kavik?” Although her voice was quiet there was a demanding to her tone, he had been walking on eggshells for the last few days and Rosalie wanted to know why.

“I was looking for you.” There was not point in worrying the man, everything was fine at home. The pups slept and Alessia was hungry, everything was normal. The admission that he was the one she was seeking held a deeper meaning, a sort of acceptance, that she was worried.
1/5
5/5

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Her question drew his eyebrows together. The alpha wasn't one to share his burden ever, but she had asked, and he knew from past experiences that lying or playing off her concern as if nothing was wrong wouldn't help anything; it definitely wouldn't be good for the delicate bond forming between them. He wanted to further that bond, not damage it by insulting her and acting as if she hadn't been correct in her observation that he was sulking a little. He sighed softly before admitting: I just...feel like I could have prevented your injury, He looked away again. I'm not sure how exactly, but perhaps I should have controlled the situation a little better, he continued, eyes still trained on the herd. And the fact that she had been looking for him made anxiety spike in his chest. You were? I hope everything is okay, he added, concern spreading across his dark face as he turned back to her. He had been gone from the den for a while even before she came, feeling like the children were in capable paws with their mothers, but what if something had happened while he was out here hiding from his worries?
I'm no good without you
~ the outsider ~
183 Posts
Ooc —

Her jaw fell at his explanation, she honestly hadn’t expected him to say anything. So shocked she almost missed his panic. “What? Oh yea. No everything is fine, Alessia and the children are fine.” Rosalie was quick to reassure.

“I wanted to make sure you were ok.” Lie further explained, “I can see you are; you’re just being stupid.” Bluntness was often the best way to go, it was what she was best at and so she took the easiest path. “Accidents happen in hunts, at least that was my understanding.” She tested a smile, and tilted her head trying to coaxes reaction from the man. “And as you can see.” The petit woman indicated to herself, “I am just fine.”

Honestly she wasn’t sure why she wished to help Kavik, it just seemed like the right thing to do. She didn’t like it when he was moody, she was supposed to be the moody one.
1/5
5/5

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
He visibly relaxed when she confirmed that everyone was okay. Her next words made his eyes widen a little in surprise. Even if she was kind of right and did seem to be fine regardless, he felt the need to reply: I don't think my being concerned about you is stupid. The surprise in his expression had only been brief, and it was now replaced with a slightly indignant raised eyebrow. I am well aware of what can happen during a hunt, but that doesn't mean I don't feel guilty when a packmate gets injured, especially one that is part of my family, he added, turning to watch the deer. A few of them raised their heads and looked around, spooked a little by some noise unheard by the alpha; they soon calmed and resumed their grazing, and he continued to think about what she had said. Sure injuries happened sometimes, but he felt like he was supposed to protect everyone, so when someone was hurt, he felt like he had failed them in some way. The need to protect was even stronger with his family, so to see Rosalie injured had been even harder to accept.
I'm no good without you
~ the outsider ~
183 Posts
Ooc —

“Ok, ok I get it.” Everything she had been observing since their last confrontation came to a head. Maybe he was just that good. She could still feel the skepticism, but it was slowly slipping in to an admiration. “But, Kavik… don’t beat yourself up.” Glancing at the herd she wondered what the deer had heard. Her ears perked, before she glanced back at Kavik. “You’re more fun when you’re not so gloomy.”

Leaning in toward him, she nudged his shoulder and smirked. “You might start to scare the children.” She held in a giggle at the man’s expense.
1/5
5/5

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
He wasn't sure he would know what to do with his time if he wasn't beating himself up over his plentiful mistakes. It wasn't the first time he had been told that either, but as with most things, it was easier said than done. Surprise crossed his face again when she referred to him as fun. He never thought of himself as fun, but he supposed he always had fun playing with the children. He looked down at her when she touched his shoulder, surprised at the contact. He couldn't help the smile that played at the corner of his mouth with her last statement. A low chuckled moved from his chest, and he shook his head a little. I guess we don't want that, he teased. You probably do that enough on your own, he added next, he smile growing a little into a smirk.
I'm no good without you
~ the outsider ~
183 Posts
Ooc —
He chuckled and that was enough for her, giving him an amused look, she playfully frowned. “Oh ya? Well I think I’m their favorite.” Lie laughed at her own statement, and threw her head back. A deer raised it’s head and looked toward the sound. The herd startled, shuffled quickly, not in a stamped but wary of what lurked in the shadows.

Her glee dissipated as she turned her attention to the rumbling deer ahead. “Shit! I’m sorry.” Lie lowered her head in embarrassment, and wouldn’t be surprised if Kavik abandoned her in favour of following the heard. With her shoulder that was no way that she could keep up.
1/5
5/5

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
He returned her playful frown when she stated that she was the favorite, about to make a comment about how he was pretty sure their favorite was Alessia since she was the meal factory, but then she was laughing and he was distracted. He watched her tilt her head back, not even remembering the deer were there until he heard their hooves on the ground as they were startled away by the sound of her laughter. He was glad to hear the sound from her, especially after how tense things were between them when she first came to creek; he didn't even care that deer had been spooked away. He playfully shook his head at her. I'm done tracking them today anyway, he offered, eyes glittering with amusement. He probably would have tracked them down again had she been able to follow along, but he would much rather be in her company; he was enjoying the way she was taking his mind off things.
I'm no good without you
~ the outsider ~
183 Posts
Ooc —

Surprised by his willingness to stay, she glanced back at the obsidian man. “Really? Well's that convenient.” Lie stood and turned away walking away from Kavik, after limping a few feet away she glanced back at the man over her shoulder. “Come on. I need your help.”

Alessia said to bring her food; might as well bring enough for the three of them to eat something. There was also the fact that the pups were starting to lose their milk teeth. She had found one just the other day, Lie didn’t know who it belonged to, but it was time. They were ready to start weening. With Kavik’s help she could bring enough food back for the whole family.
1/5
5/5

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Surprised by her words once again, he watched her get up and start limping away, curious interest on his face. When she requested his help, he was at her side in a few strides, glad to do whatever she needed. Of course, he said once he was beside her. What do you need help with? the alpha asked as they walked. As they moved, he snuck furtive glances at the shoulder she was limping on. He wanted to ask whether or not it was a good idea to be out here moving around so much, but he was pretty sure he knew how that would go. At least she had asked for his help in whatever task she was planning to do; he would just make sure to take on the brunt of the work regardless of what it was. It hopefully wouldn't seem too obvious since it was something he would do anyway with anyone really, always willing to do more than his share when his packamtes or wolves he cared about were involved.
I'm no good without you
~ the outsider ~
183 Posts
Ooc —

She didn’t notice the quick glances he was throwing her, to concentrated on her gaunt and keeping weight off her leg. She could tell this was going to get tiring quickly, the constant annoying twinge.

Lie spared him a glance, and a smile. “Food obviously. Your mate is hungry.” By now he might realize she had led them in the direction of the nearest cache. “And our children too.” She continued to explain, “I think Alessia would appreciate us bringing them a solid meal, and start them off milk.” Lie smile thoughtfully, thinking about Alessia. “Don’t you think? She tried to keep her insecurities to herself, and include Kavik in parenting and taking care of Alessia. She was trying to let him into their special world.
1/5
5/5

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Luckily, they arrived at the cache after not too long, because he almost broke the promise he made to himself to remain quiet about how much strain she was putting on her injured shoulder. The mention of Alessia and the children stole is attention, though, and he nodded as she explained that she needed help bringing food back to them. I think that sounds like a good idea, he replied, moving to the cache to start rummaging through things; he certainly didn't want her to try and pull stuff out. There were a few rabbits, a turkey he had put in there just yesterday, a couple of weasels; it was pretty much the usual. He sniffed through the carcasses, only wanting to select what was freshest. The turkey was the first thing he pulled out, and he stepped back and dropped it on the ground. I caught that yesterday so it should be pretty fresh, he explained as he dipped his front half back inside the cache. He pulled out some of the more recent hares and then he found part of a deer that, upon further inspection, appeared to be fairly new to the collection. He lugged it out and set it next the pile he had formed in front of Rosalie. How does this look? he asked. It seemed like it should be plenty, but he would let her inspect it before they carried it back.
I'm no good without you
~ the outsider ~
183 Posts
Ooc —

Before she had a chance to even think of looking through what was to offer in the cache, Kavik had already started the task. Sitting back an amused smile on her lips, she watched him rummage, her tail sedately sweeping behind her. The turkey caught her eye, and she just new the kids would have fun inspecting such an interesting creature. But he kept going, pulling out more and more. Once he seemed satisfied, he turned to her, asking her to inspect his work.

“I think the turkey and the deer are plenty.” Although she suddenly thought that perhaps her was fairly hungry. She couldn’t imagine how much food he must have to eat considering his substantial size. She wondered about Helios, the boy appeared to be a carbon copy of his father, Lie realized just how much that boy was going to need to eat. “Are you hungry?” Seeking out his wellbeing wasn’t meant to be habitual for her, but she could help the question tumbling from her tongue.
1/5
5/5

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
You're probably right, he said, picking up all the rabbits at once and dropping them back into the cache. As he backed up to look at her, he paused at her question, giving a shrug of his inky shoulders. Not particularly, he replied. Truth be told, had been too restless to eat much this morning, and he figured he would be hungry later and find something to eat then. I'll get something later probably, he quickly added, not wanting her to concern herself anymore with his sporadic eating habits. He looked down at the pile once more. Are you okay to carry the turkey because I think I can mange both, he asked. Surely it would be more difficult for her to make the trek back to the den limping and carrying the turkey. He scooted the bird closer to the the deer remnants, preparing to figure out a way to carry both as he waited for her answer, already pretty much deciding that he would most likely not let her carry anything. But he asked for formality, so it wouldn't seem like he was worrying about her when she had already told him she was fine.
I'm no good without you
~ the outsider ~
183 Posts
Ooc —

With an arched brow she looked skeptical at his dismissive behavior, particularly about his eating habits. But who was she to pry, so she left the topic for another day. Instead Lie simply nodded, perhaps she would have to check if he actually ate something later. AH! What was she doing!? Obsessing for no reason. He was a grown man, he could take care of his damn self. “Fine, you can take care of yourself.” Her insecure bitchiness taking hold for a moment.

“Of course I can take the turkey. I told you earlier, I’m fine.” Her renewed stubbornness wasn’t going to bode well for her shoulder, that was for sure. The ache she had started with had slowly grown, walking so far to find Kavik and then to the cache and now back to the den. The woman was tired, but she couldn’t give up her independence. So used to caring for only herself provoked an instinctual repulsiveness to help.
1/5
5/5

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Apparently he had struck a nerve with her. He didn't understand why she was so worried about whether or not he ate? He had fared pretty well up to this point, even if he did forget to eat sometimes. But when she insisted on carrying the turkey, he stepped in front of the pile. I know what you said, he replied, not caring anymore about trying to hide his concern. But you have to be pretty sore by now, right? he asked, his voice softening. He was honestly worried, and she seemed to be too stubborn to accept help from him. I don't want you hurting yourself anymore than you already are and like I said before, I can manage carrying both. He looked at her, his jaw set in an equally stubborn line. He wasn't prepared to budge on this.
I'm no good without you
~ the outsider ~
183 Posts
Ooc —

She couldn’t admit it, not now. Perhaps five minutes ago before this became a pissing contest, but now? No. Now she had something to prove. Lie could pull her weight in this pack, she wasn’t here simply to stay alongside Alessia anymore. That was a bonus to the protection and family like atmosphere that she had recently discovered here at Swiftcurrent. No, now she wanted to stay, and to do that she had to prove herself.

“Well Kavik… you apparently weren’t listening. I thought I might remind you.” She tried to ignore the kindness that was flaring in his green gaze, but she couldn’t bring herself to look away. To stubborn to be perceived as submitting. “Since we are both fine, I will take the turkey.” She didn’t ask for permission, instead she took a step closer, ready to snatch the bird from the brute. “I might be sore, but I’m not an invalid. I can hold my weight.”

Somehow this man had a way of revealing her deepest fears and insecurities. The idea of being expelled had pushed her to do many things in the last month. Many things which had benefited her greatly, leading to her development as a person. She couldn’t lose it not now, not when she was so close to having everything she had ever dreamed of.
1/5
5/5

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
This has nothing to do with whether or not you can pull your weight, he started, eyes tracking her movements as she shifted closer. I know you can pull your weight, but you're allowed to go easy on yourself when you're injured, Rosalie, he added. But he knew she wouldn't listen; he could see it in her face. So, before she could move any closer, he picked up the turkey and grasped the deer and began to move towards the den. It was kind of a lot to carry at once, but like he said, he could manage. He had certainly dealt with much worse. His pace was slower than normal with the added burden, but he thought that was good because then he could also keep an eye on Rosalie whether she wanted him to or not. Her pace was sure to be just a slow with her limp.
I'm no good without you
~ the outsider ~
183 Posts
Ooc —

The audacity! Before she had a chance to do anything, the idiot snatched everything and tried to walk off. She easily brushed off his words, not taking the to heart. She was still new here, and she would help. Kavik had was already doing enough!

Shocked at her own thoughts, she was frozen. Blinking through the confusion, she wondered when her opinion had changed. When had he become a staple in her life to the point that she would try and relieve his burden? A month and a half ago she would have done anything to be rid of him. Angry with herself for letting him in, she turned an furious eye on the man as he slowly walked away.

Admittedly he was walking as fast as she was able to. But her stubbornness clouded the rationality of her injury, and so she did something stupid. Ignoring the pain in her shoulder she ran after him, latching her teeth around the leg of the deer as it dragged on the ground. Suddenly stopping her moment, she pulled backward, in an effort to force Kavik to drop his load. Now, she was mad, glaring seafoam daggers at the alpha of her pack. [HEY ROSALIE…probably not a good idea]…
1/5
5/5

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
He hadn't been walking long before he felt a hard tug on his mouthful, causing him to stop and clamp down so it didn't fall from his mouth. He whirled around to face the infuriating woman, holding on tight to the deer and the turkey as he moved. He could surely pull her to the ground; she had to know that, right? She was every bit as stubborn as he was, and he, honestly, couldn't remember the last time he encountered someone like that. Most just did as he asked because he was the boss, but he wasn't the boss of Rosalie, nor did he want to be--well, except for right now when he was only trying to help her. Why didn't she just listen to him, dammit? He held onto to his end of the carcasses but didn't pull, afraid that he would hurt her more than she most likely already had running over here and tugging on the deer like she was. His unyielding gaze locked with hers and he held his ground, refusing to let go.
I'm no good without you