animal smells and porcupine quills
marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
As Sitri addressed their next problem, Mordecai peered back to the deep cover the herd had seemingly lodged itself into. The fact that they couldn't see them was a problem. But it was easily remedied with the suggestion provided. Mordecai nodded to Sitri and this time gave the surrounding landscape a good look. Figuring out which way they could go without being seen was a gamble, but it was simply one that the pair would have to make. Hopefully the cover in the Spine would mask them from their potential prey.

“Let's try circling around them. That should put up higher up than they are. We might be able to see them through the tree cover,” he whispered back. Then, as quietly as he could muster, Mordecai began to slink off their trail to the depths of better cover, and started for the higher side of the foothills. There was little doubt in his mind that the herd had chosen to cut through the dips in their basin-like region, if not for water then for the advantage of having cover from the very wolves that lived within.
[Image: warrior_master.gif] [Image: gamekeeper_master.gif]
Why should I apologize for the monster I've become? No one ever apologized for making me this way.
361 Posts
Ooc — Danni
While Mordecai was looking around, Sitri was doing the same thing, he looked around trying to find a place that they could play peek and boo with the herd. He sniffed at some of the foliage, shifted his weight to gauge the different types of sounds that could be heard.

Sitri nodded once and he followed behind Mordecai, quietly. His large shoulders slightly slumped as he took in his surroundings. Trying his hardest not to be seen or heard by the animals that lay beyond them.
marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
I went with a minor powerplay on this; if it's not OK, let me know and I'll make edits. I hope you're feeling better too! :C *sends good healthy thoughts*

It took some time, but the pair managed to move around the herd without piquing their interest too much. But it was also probable to say that they were aware that they were being watched. Stealth wasn't Mordecai's strongest suit, but it was efficient enough at it to remain unseen against some sets of prying eyes. He suspected the same went from Sitri. Their movements were out of necessity. Up along the higher reaches of the Spine, they were able to better spot the herd and take stock of their numbers. It wasn't perfect, but it would do.

“There's quite a few out there,” he said finally, taking his eyes from the herd and returning them to Sitri. Even now, the quills that remained jutted from his face seemed almost painful to look at. How he could stand it even at this length, Mordecai couldn't have fathomed. He would have been pawing at them endlessly, as though that would really aid removing the irritant. “I don't know if we should take the chance to catch one or two of them, not without some others. Maybe we should let Jinx know. If the herd sticks around, she might want to call a hunt for them.” He was thinking aloud, but wanted his fellow hunter's input and his tone implied as much.
Why should I apologize for the monster I've become? No one ever apologized for making me this way.
361 Posts
Ooc — Danni
I'm feeling a little bit better, still got a cough and extra tired, but okay...tomorrow will be the true test when i go back to work. But thank you

Sitri was a little better than most at staying hidden, having done so much for his former queen that involved stealth. However, he was not the best far too large and burly to be completely invisible so to speak. He kept a weather eye on the prey they were scouting as they went around them. Hoping that they did not spook them.

Sitri shook his head there are babies...to protective we will need more than just the two of us. THey will rip us apart with their horns and hooves. he grew quiet and quietly counted and measured in his minds eye. There's one there with a limp, and that one there on the other side it's old. Those two might make good targets when we do come back.
marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
As someone who also has to go back to work tomorrow... good luck! I'm gonna nudge this towards a fade here, since I think this was a precursor to the OS hunt.

Mordecai felt a frown form on his face at the words that Sitri offered. Not out of disappointment, but rather at the aspect that there was little that they could do on their own. Still, with the herd lingering at the fringes of their territory, it was also an opportunity that he didn't want them to pass up. Licking his lips, Mordecai took note of the injured ones in the herd all the same. That young would have been prime too, but he'd settle for the old just as well.

“We should go and find Jinx then. I don't think they'll make too much headway while we're off doing that, and hopefully when we return to them we'll have the pack with us.” He gave a nudge to Sitri's scarred shoulder, and slowly turned away from the herd so that they could make their way back to the better half of the territory. Mordecai wasn't sure where Jinx would be, but he was sure that they could find her quickly. And with any luck, she'd be pleased enough to want to call on a hunt.