Whitebark Stream Imbolc 2020
77 Posts
Ooc — Fira
Pack Activity 
Hello! This pack activity is OPTIONAL, obviously! Daylily is explaining the holiday of Imbolc and suggesting things wolves might like to do to celebrate. There’s LOTS of info in this post. If it’s too much or confusing, here’s a link to more info about what Daylily is talking about. https://www.groveandgrotto.com/blogs/art...s-holidays  If anyone would like to participate in the celebrations, please make separate threads as opposed to responding to this one. Feel free to tag Daylily OR NOT! You can thread with whoever you want, or do Read Only, or whatever! In regards to THIS thread, you can just pop in here and reply with your character listening to what she’s explaining and stuff.

Daylily was feeling nervous, for she would have to stand in front of the whole pack (or at least the pack members who showed up) and give a big speech about her religious beliefs and the holy day of Imbolc. She had never really had to teach others about her beliefs before; everyone in Oakstead had at least been aware of them, and most had celebrated the holy days even if they weren’t religious themselves. She worried she would not be able to get across all she wanted to; she worried some would think she was trying to convert them, which was not the case. Imbolc was a day of renewal and cleansing; anyone could participate, religious or otherwise! She tilted her head back and gave a howl for those who might wish to join in the festivities.

Once those who were to gather had come, she cleared her throat and began. She was nervous, true, but also excited and determined to explain as best she could. “Hello,” she began, her voice wavering. “Dawn has given me permission to set up a little… meeting to explain one of my religious holidays to you, to see if anyone might like to participate. No one would have to convert, of course In my homeland, there were many who were secular and still participated in the festivities.” She cleared her throat. 

“This time of year is called Imbolc; it is a holiday that celebrates the knowledge that spring will arrive soon. It is not spring yet, but almost. On Imbolc, we do things like clean out our dens, check caches, and go on walks to see if we can spot any greenery poking up through the snow. If we’re religious, this is a time to appreciate the return of the God, represented by the sun. The Goddess—the earth—has been sleeping all through winter and the God is soon to return and wake her up. So, this is also a time of renewal and rejuvenation. Those who are religious may wish to take some time to rededicate themselves to their religion and their gods. If not, this time may be used to rededicate oneself to a goal or a trade one may be going after. Also, to celebrate the return of the sun, it is traditional to watch the sunrise or sunset… o-or both, if you wish.” 

Daylily smiled nervously, realizing she’d been talking for quite some time. “Really, this day can be celebrated however you wish, and participation is optional, of course. Kora and I went looking for a place to start a garden in the spring, if anyone would like to see that. It is too cold, yet, to plant seedlings, I think, but it is nice to have the idea in the back of your mind.” She looked around at those who had gathered. “Anyway, that’s all the information I have for now. Please seek me out later if you would like me to answer more questions.” With a respectful bow of her head to those in attendance, she turned and left.
323 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
On his arrival, Artyom greeted Daylily with enthusiastic sweeping of his dense tail. He shot her an encouraging smile on sensing the girl's obvious anxiety, one that brightened his eyes with silent communication: you've got this.

He remained silently unsure as to why the tawny yearling had requested an audience with the pack, but held onto his curiosity as other Whitebark wolves began to trickle in. Artyom watched for the faces he knew somewhat better - @Eights, @Kora, young @Minnow and of course, his mate @Dawn - though he was sure to offer pleasantries to all.

Daylily began little awkwardly, sharing some insight to an event that she and her kin celebrated. The gilded ranger listened, his ears high atop his crown, keen to show support to the timid yearling despite his own lack of religious background.

Truthfully, he felt he could take part in this. He believed in no gods but figured it would prove a good opportunity to get to know those in the group he'd not yet met, and better solidify the bonds with those he had.

As the meeting came to a conclusion, Artyom took the opportunity to speak up: "I would like to see this garden," he offered, earthen gaze scanning the gathering in search of Kora, who'd recently "saved" him from stepping on a plant that was potentially dangerous. He was curious to learn more of what she knew, more so how one could use the flora to aid others.

44 Posts
Ooc — Kaiya
One could hear the nervousness in Daylily's howl, or at least Kora could. She wasn't too far away so getting there was not a problem. When she did get there only two wolves had arrived, though she saw a few in the distance coming to attend. Considering Kora didn't know but a few wolves so far she took a seat that was near both Artyom and Daylily. Turning her lilac gaze to the nervous wolf speaker she let her eyes do the talking: It'll be okay. I believe in you, you can do this. 

Passing over a simple nod in respect to Artom she gave him a quick smile then did the same for Daylily. Spotting a flower a few steps away Kora stood and retrieved it with as much grace as one could manage. She didn't need to stop and think of what to do with it before walking towards Day. Kora stopped in front of the woman before, if she allowed her to, sticking the gorgeous flower behind her ear. All of this in hopes that Day would remember one of the traditions Kora had told her about; Putting a flower behind one's ear to grant them good luck. Before turning to go back she whispered "You got this!" in her friend's ear complemented by a smile and a wink before heading back to her seat and prepping herself for the speech.

Her friend spoke about one of the traditions Kora had already heard about, Imbolc. This time with more details, Kora still listened intently. Ears perked and stature unbreakable the woman sat with all intentions of making Day more comfortable during her announcement. She nodded when Day mentioned their garden and grinned in case the woman passed her a glance. It was all over too soon as Day nodded and walked off. Then Artyom spoke whilst scanning the crowd, locking eyes with Kora. "I'll show you where it is. C'mon!" she offered with a smile before getting up and hobbling in the direction of the two ladies' chosen spot. If Artyom hadn't immediately followed, he would be able to catch up. 
Kora has a limp and doesn't usually walk on her right forepaw, walking with three legs instead of four, so you're always welcome to reference that! When she speaks Maori it will look like this! <3