Blacktail Deer Plateau I've loved and I've lost
74 Posts
Ooc — Danni
@Finley

Black fur of darkest color lay on a frame thin from years of fighting and living and now dying. Rickety shoulders and creaking paws made loud noises as silent footfalls fell on the ground. At least to the large elderly male they were loud. He was tired, and weary and he just wanted to die, but his body and his soul and his heart, they just weren’t ready to give in yet. So he strode through the plateau an old bent man, graying with age.

He shuffled slowly, the arthritis and the displasia and everything else causing severe pain at every step, but he didn’t let anyone know how painful it was for him. Preferring to keep a happy face on, if one was to die of age it should be rejoiced not dreaded. Because if you lived this long plain and simple it was deserved and you were a fighter.
2,311 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Advisor
Master Coach

Pinecones were so much fun. Fin wasn't sure how long she had been at her little game, but it was probably longer than she would have been proud to admit. Though the pinecone had no life in it, you would never had guessed it by the way the girl pawed at and danced around it. With a clear white paw, she batted at the cone sending it skittering across the ground with her chasing after it. Once it rolled to a stop she pawed at it a little more before reaching down and clasping it in her jaws. With a light flick of her head, she tossed it into the air and the chase was on again as it bounced across the grass.

The sound of heavy steps caused her to pause her game as her gaze shifted through the trees to land upon a dark shape hobbling slowly along. A deep breath told her in an instant that it was Sun Spark. The scent made her tail begin to dance and in a moment she had abandoned her toy and was off to prance lightly up alongside him.

"Heya!" she chirped brightly as she approached. It still hadn't occurred to her that the old wolf had come to the Plateau to die. Likely the fact would horrify her and she'd become insufferably awkward. She didn't do well with negativity, whether it was the angry or sullen kind. It was actually something the habitually cheerful woman tended to avoid.

74 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Sun Spark heard running steps and mentally braced himself to be run over, thinking it was his granddaughter, but it wasn't. Though the girl in front of him was just as exuberant as the other girl. He watched as her tail wagged and he chuffed gently at her.

Hello Miss Finley. "ow are you taday chile? he smiled at her. he wasn't about to mar her mood by telling her he was dying. He was happy to just spend the day in quiet speculation and conversation. He had a lot of stories and knowledge he'd share it all if they wanted it, including the girl here in front of him. W'at were you up ta chile?
2,311 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Advisor
Master Coach

Finley felt a tingling warmth in her chest as the old wolf turned to her and smiled that gentle smile of his. Something about being in his presence made her feel like a little pup again, snuggling up at her grandfather's side on quiet Summer evenings. It was rare for her to feel the pang of nostalgia and the ache of missing home, but she felt it then in his presence, as short-lived as it was.

Dandy as always, Fin replied when asked about how she was doing. The Blackthorn rarely had a down day. Once every great while, she would be moody and sullen for no reason whatsoever, but she kept to herself those days. Other than that, it was glee and excitement besides the occasional irritation that came naturally when interacting with boys.

I found this really neat pinecone, she said as a second question was posed, speaking eagerly like a child proudly showing off a new treasure, I played with that for a while. Longer than I should probably admit... but then I heard you going by, so I thought I'd visit. Are you up to anything special today?

74 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Sun Spark did not know the pang of homesickness the girl felt, but he could relate. There were days especially lately where he would remember his own family and miss them. His grandfather and his grandmother, his parents his siblings. All his brothers in arms. Yes he remembered them all well.

Sun Spark chuckled at her answer Dandy as always He was glad for it. There was so much sadness in the world anymore. He was glad that another wolf besides himself, and his daughter and granddaughter could find happiness in their day to day lives. I am glad fir it chile. He grew quiet.

At her next admission he laughed outloud, in pure delight. Ain’t nothin’ wrong wif playin’ anyone who tells you dat is lyin’. It’s good ta stay young at ‘eart child. he continued to snicker shaking his head. He himself played until he couldn’t anymore, occasionally he would still kick his heels up, though it wasn’t nearly as high as it used to be or as virile. I jus’ walkin’ chile. Fancy a conversation? Or a game? Or a story? He didn’t know if he could do a game, but he would try just for her.
2,311 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Advisor
Master Coach

She felt pleased that Sun Spark was approving of her sport. She certainly wanted his approval, even though she didn't particularly know why. But, she didn't lend much thought to it, for he was talking again in the slow, soothing voice of his.

A story? she repeated. She lifted her brows as she studied him, betraying her eagerness at hearing him spin a tale. It would be interesting to hear a story from the man who had taught Blue Willow, especially when she was so skilled in the art herself.

74 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Sun Spark had never thought of his voice being soothing, he had actually hated it once upon a time. His language barrier was clear, the cajun in him just didn't want to let up. His ancestors all talked slow and steady and usually poorly. He tried his best, and he was an intelligent male, he just talked real slow.

he chuckled Ya a story. Do ya 'ave a pref'rence or you jus' wan' me ta spin ya a yarn? He waited he could tell he countless stories, if she liked one thing over another he'd tell her that. Lions and Tigers and bears oh my so speak.
2,311 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Advisor
Master Coach

Fin gave the old wolf another broad smile as he graciously accepted her request. She pondered his question for a moment, reminiscing about the tale Blue had told her of Coyote and how much she had enjoyed it. She had no doubt that Sun Spark knew more stories about this character, but in the end decided that she wanted to hear whatever he had a mind to tell her.

"Weaver's choice," Fin responded finally with a wink. She wasn't a storyteller herself, so it was probably better to leave the decision up to the expert.

</style>

74 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Sun Spark chuckled and returned the wink at her. He shuffled his feet a few times and took a few deep breaths and then he looked at her and he began.

Now Wishpoosh da monster beaver lived in the beautiful Lake Cle-el-lum w'ich was full of fish. E'ery day, the animal people would come ta the lake, wantin' to catch some fish, but Wishpoosh the giant beaver drove dem away wif many threats and great splashin'. He acted as if he was threatening others an splashing in the water. If dey refused to leave, Wishpoosh would kill the animal people by dragging dem deep into the lake so dat dey drowned. he gave a savage growl and acted like he was killing some poor beast.

Now Coyote was very upset at Wishpoosh for the way he treated the animal people. he made a sad face. Coyote decided dat he would kill the monster beaver an' so he went to Lake Cle-el-lum with his claws and his teeth and started to fish. As soon as Wishpoosh saw dis upstart wolf invading his territory, the giant beaver attacked. Coyote threw himself at the beaver and he got him good. Immediately, Wishpoosh dove to the bottom of the lake, dragging Coyote with him. Sun Spark acted like he was fighting with a giant creature in the bottom of the lake.

He continued ot pretend like he was wrestling moving and writing around on the ground to far into the star to realize he was old and tired and he would hurt in the end. Well, Coyote and Wishpoosh wrestled and tugged and fought each other at the bottom of the lake until the sides gave way and all the water rushed out, pouring out over the mountains and through the canyons until it collected in Kittitas Valley and formed another, larger lake. He made a whoosh sound with his maw and then drew pictures in the dirt to look like water splashing down and then a lake. Coyote and Wishpoosh burst forth into the new lake, shouting and wrestling and fighting each other with renewed vigor until the second lake gave way and the water rushed out, joining in with the waters of several rivers to form a massive lake at Toppenish.

He continued to wrestle and showed his teeth and claws and growled and moved around quickly striking at an imaginary foe. Wishpoosh the monster beaver would not give up the fight. He bit and clawed at Coyote and tried to drown him in the massive lake. Coyote fought back fiercely, and at last the massive lake gave way, the water roared down into the meeting place of the Columbia, the Yakima, and the Snake, where it dammed up into a lake so huge none has ever seen its like before or since. He made a large lake and then made a dam with his paws and held his paws up to show size difference.

Coyote and Wishpoosh dragged at each other, pulling and tugging and ripping and biting until the dam gave way and a huge wave of water swept down the Columbia River towards the sea. Coyote and Wishpoosh were tumbled over and over again as they were swept down river in the mighty wave of water. Coyote grabbed bushes and rocks and trees, trying to pull himself out of the massive wave. By these efforts was the Columbia Gorge was formed. But Coyote could not pull himself out of the great wave and so he tumbled after Wishpoosh, all the way to the bitter waters at the mouth of the river. He pretended to tumble and move and writhe in water, pretending that he had no air.

Wishpoosh was furious. He made an angry face. He was determined to beat this upstart Coyote who had driven him from his beautiful lake. The giant beaver swept all the salmon before him and ate them in one gulp to increase his strength. Then he swam out to sea with Coyote in pursuit. The monster beaver threw his great arms around a whale and swallowed it whole. Sun spark made his cheeks bulge and swept things into his maw and then patted his stomach like he had a full belly.

Sun spark made a whimpering noise and cowered down like he was afraid. Coyote was frightened by this demonstration of the monster beaver's strength. But he was the most cunning of all the animals, and he came up with a plan. Turning himself into a tree branch, Coyote drifted among the fish until Wishpoosh swallowed him. Returning to his natural form, Coyote took his teeth and claws and he wripped and chewed the sinews inside the giant beaver. Wishpoosh gave a great cry and then perished. Sun spark pretended to be a log then he pretended to rip something from the inside out and then he played dead with drool hanging out of his mouth.

He yawned, Coyote was tired after his long fight with the monster beaver. He called to his friend Muskrat, who helped drag the body of Wishpoosh to shore. Coyote and Muskrat cut up the giant beaver and threw the pieces up over the land, thus creating the tribes of men. The Nez Perce were created from the head of the giant beaver, to make them great in council. The Cayuses were created from the massive arms of Wishpoosh, in order that they might be strong and powerful with the war . From the beaver's ribs, Coyote made the Yakimas and from the belly the Chinooks. To make the Klickitats, Coyote used the beaver's legs, so that they would become famous for their skill in running. With the leftover skin and blood, he made the Snake River Indians who thrived on war and blood. He pretended to be ripping apart some animal and throwing it to the winds with a toss of his head.

Thus were the tribes created, and Coyote returned up the mighty Columbia River to rest from his efforts. But in his weariness, Coyote did not notice that the coastal tribes had been created without mouths. The god Ecahni happened along just then and fixed the problem by assembling all of the coastal tribes and cutting mouths for them. Some he made too large and some he made crooked, just as a joke. This is why the mouths of the coastal tribes are not quite perfect. Then Sun Spark bowed and his eyes twinkled at the girl and he chuckled

'ow was dat story m'girl?
2,311 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Advisor
Master Coach

Fin tended to not have the longest attention span, but although Sun Spark's tale was a lengthy one, she held tight to every word. She was delighted to see that he too actually acted out the different parts of his story. It had been her favorite part about Blue Willow's technique and quickly became the same for the woman's father. His silly faces made her laugh while his struggles with unseen enemies made her rather nervous. He was an old wolf after all, and the last thing she wanted was for him to end up hurting himself in an effort to entertain her.

Her concern was swiftly forgotten as the tale continued on and came to a close on a note that was a little morbid, but all around just silly. She gave a couple of short barks of laughter as he finished his tale, a smile on her face that wasn't likely to quit. "I loved it! You and Blue have such talent," she said earnestly. She almost asked the man to take a bow for his performance, but then thought better of it remembering her concern during his story.

</style>

74 Posts
Ooc — Danni
The girl gave him his rapt attention, and he did his best to do right by her. If someone was willing to give their time and their attention. Well then they deserved a good story and performance and he strived to do just that. Year's of practice and memorization.

He chuckled T'ank you chile. W'at are your plans now? M'girl? I find i've worked up a severe hankering for somet'ing ta eat. He would go find something to fill his empty belly after the went their separate ways, unless she wished to join him.
2,311 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Advisor
Master Coach

Fin gave him a silly grin, her face scrunching briefly with amused curiosity as he used the word "hankering". She truly enjoyed the odd cajun-y way the old man spoke. It was unlike any dialect she had heard before in her travels. It was like a soothing and fun song dancing in her ears whenever he spoke, which made his story-telling all the more enjoyable to listen to.

"It just so happens that I've been putting together a cache not too far from here," Fin replied with a proud wag of her tail, "Follow me, my good man!" With that, she turned their direction a little more to the North and padded off. It truly was not far, for only a few minutes later she was leading them up along side of a little creek that trickled between the trees on its way down the mountain at the Plateau's back. She sniffed around at the banks for a little while before her nose spotted the familiar abandoned beaver set, a remnant of days when the little creek had been much larger and more alive with wildlife.

Fin dug into the pile of sodden wood for a little while before stepping back to reveal the treasures it held. A couple of fish and some scraps of smaller mammals. "It's not much, but we've had such a tough time bringing down larger game that I thought it best to start stocking up on the junk," Fin told him, feeling a little bit embarrassed at how meager the stock was. She glanced to him hopefully, wanting nothing more than for him to give her a pat on the head and tell her what a good girl she was.

</style>

74 Posts
Ooc — Danni
IF Blue has children and I decide to play one I will have a cajun child....i will :D haha

He chuckled at her small smile. He imagined it was probably his accent, most that he met liked it. It was an unusual dialect, he knew that, but it was his and he enjoyed it. It was something that set him apart from all the others.

Wonderful Chile. He followed behind her with a creaky gait. He stopped a moment to sniff at the water in the nearby creek, and some of the aquatic plants. He caught sight of the beaver dam and smiled. Well i'll be innit dat jus' a part of nature's bounty right dere. He studied the sodden wood as she dug around in it.

Sun Spark smiled Dat chile is a good enough stock pile. It would feed a few pups fir a few days. Dat is a cache ta be proud of chile. He gave her a smile and a lick to the side of her muzzle in appreciation if she would let him.
2,311 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Advisor
Master Coach
Fin will love the crap out of that chile :D Last post for me! Bye Sun Spark *sob*

Finley beamed with pride as the old wolf complimented her cache. She also went ahead and read into his comment on the abandoned beaver set and took that as a compliment on her ingenuity in turning it into a safe place for the food, and so she got to be doubly pleased with herself. Her tail wagged to a quick beat as he planted a lick upon her muzzle. A soft whine of pleasure escaped as he moved back and she turned her eyes to gaze fondly upon his friendly face.

"I should probably get back to work on filling it up, but please feel free to take whatever you need," Fin encouraged with a smile. She didn't fill the cache so that she could hoard it, after all. "Thank you for the story!" she said, leaning in to nose affectionately at his chin. She lingered a moment to catch whatever words he had to share before departing. If Sun Spark thought this little cache was impressive, she could only imagine the compliments she'd get once she really got to work on it!

</style>

74 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Sun Spark smiled as her tail wagged, and he didn't mind that she took all his words as a compliment, he didn't mind at all. The girl deserved all the compliments that she could get. She was a good girl and Sun hoped his passing didn't hurt her to badly. Especially hoped it did not damper her optimism, which was so hard to find these days.

Sun Spark smiled, and sat down with a small nod. t'ank you chile. Right now dough I 'ave to rest dese ole bones. I will eat dough soon enough. He watched as she walked away and he smiled, then he sat and let time slowly pass by, until he was ready to grab something to eat and then a nap sounded good to the old man.