The Sentinels come to my arms, my beamish boy!
24 Posts
Ooc — markab
the conversation does not get more comfortable with time, even though by all respects it should. but it has been long months since he has held a conversation with anyone besides himself, and he is a poor conversation partner. not that it was necessary that he be alone with only his thoughts for company to realize such a thing.

you are fine, caligula insists to himself as she turns, sweeping her gaze over the burnt-black forest. it is beyond pathetic now that he struggles with something as simple as a face to face conversation – as simple as a single wolf in the rain, smaller than he, clearly brandishing no more ill-will towards him than a passing insect might have to offer a stray blade of grass. even her speech is earnest.

yet the part of him that has kept him alive this far sees her, and insists that these are the thoughts of a fool. there is no such thing as safety. everyone who smiles must, at the same time, bare their teeth.

caligula takes a breath.

“i am fine,” he pronounces, as though the act of speaking it instead of thinking it will force it to become truth. “i am just…” what was the word… “jumpy.” yes. that was it. “i apologize,” he tries. “i did not expect to find others here, of all places.” there are few things quieter than the aftermath of disaster. caligula does not know how long ago the fires swept this forest, but even in the dark it is clear that there is little beyond char and ash. not a place to find game or shelter; not yet.

he tries offering a wobbly smile that is, at the best, horribly awkward to view; he knows it the moment he feels it curl over his muzzle and abandons it quickly, before it can make things worse than he already has.

“new to the area, yes.” he continues, before the pause can become too awkward. “so i am afraid i do not know much about…how things are here. and i suppose that…” he stops again, briefly, to struggle with the phrasing, “is something you could help with?” ah, the joys of simple and uncomplicated social interaction. nice job.

Messages In This Thread
come to my arms, my beamish boy! - by Sugar Glider - June 02, 2020, 10:35 AM
RE: come to my arms, my beamish boy! - by Sugar Glider - June 05, 2020, 12:51 PM
RE: come to my arms, my beamish boy! - by Sugar Glider - June 08, 2020, 09:55 AM
RE: come to my arms, my beamish boy! - by Sugar Glider - June 09, 2020, 08:40 AM
RE: come to my arms, my beamish boy! - by Caligula Wolf - June 11, 2020, 02:59 AM
RE: come to my arms, my beamish boy! - by Sugar Glider - June 11, 2020, 11:12 AM
RE: come to my arms, my beamish boy! - by Sugar Glider - June 25, 2020, 09:27 PM
RE: come to my arms, my beamish boy! - by Sugar Glider - June 30, 2020, 09:43 AM