Lion Head Mesa Pangur Bán and I at work
33 Posts
Ooc —
Limit Two 
AW :)
With the blood of the doe staining the grasslands at the feet of the mesa, he sought to lay claim to his first section ot territory within the Kinta Flatlands. He'd felt drawn to the area as he searched for a mountain range to call his own- and found himself flanked by massive peaks on either side, which rose up into the clouds in the distance to the North and South of him. He would prefer to live on those slopes- much more rugged, and bringing with them the promise of food sources such as mountain goats and elk, whereas he had no idea what might be living at the tabletop plain, so he had made a kill at the base of the rise, and had for the most part, consumed it- when the defending champion showed himself. 

What transpired between the two cougars was some time of sizing one another up from a distance, hissing insults and screeching threats until they drew near enough to one another for the flex and arch of Virtute's spine, and the ripple of ample muscle beneath his pelt to prove him to be the superior of the two. With shrieks and yowls echoing off the hillside he chased his smaller opponent away from the territory he claimed in this bloodless, but nevertheless very vocal brawl, sending the younger, smaller male scowling into the flatlands. 

Victorious, he finished what he could of the doe before burying it, and climbed the slope of the mesa, covering the surrendering male's border markings with scent markings of his own- proclaiming himself as the new king of Lion's Head Mesa. Their spat would no doubt have caught the attention of the locals- but he had no fear. Emboldened by his success and fattened by the meal he'd just eaten, the new king leapt into the strong boughs of an ash tree, and sprawled calmly in its embrace so he could watch the sun rise over his new kingdom.
Máscara del diablo
461 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
Vanity still had hope in finding the child.
She'd set out at a fast pace that morning, looking for any remains of a trail.
If thay'd gone up the stream, which was likely because there wasn't much down it, then she'd suspect that the thief would take the kid up.

It had been such a long time since the mountainous woman has been posed with a challenge such as this, and took it with every ounce of her being.
She hauled her ass up the steep slopes, looking for the rock falls and places she did not want to get stuck.
She found this exhilarating. Rewarding.

Then, her ears caught the squabbling cries of cougars.
Perfect.
She'd studied them often in her time in the south, and from them, she learned a lot about how to fight and hunt - lending her to some very useful skills.
Her pace was slower now, but nonetheless urgent.
The fight had already ended, but there was the trail.

A tail of smaller paws went one way, larger ones another.
The victor's trail.
She followed the larger pawed trail, eyes seeking for the tanned form of feline.
Alas, she came upon none.

Wolves never seemed to look up.
Not even Vanity.

She paused at a tree, taking a breather in the shade. The air was cool, but there was humidity in the air that tired her.
then she remembered what she was here for. The pup.
Above, lurked the cat she sought for moments before.

| | | |                              "Common" "Spanish"
33 Posts
Ooc —
Silently, he composed his thoughts about his newest kingdom, gazing out over the misty horizon which sprawled at his feet and in a function purely feline, he came to the conclusion that everything he saw was therefore his claim. As a rational beast, though, he knew that defending the mesa would be more than enough for him- what with it seemingly being a sought-after location- so the dragonspine ridges of mountains at his flanks could wait to be explored (and possibly claimed) another day. 

He considered the size of his previous foe, and found himself wondering how much success the male had had at attracting females to mate on this lonesome incline, and figured that it was more lilely than not that he'd found none. He'd been young, inexperienced, and likely claiming this place simply because he hadn't been challenged for it before. Females would likely dwell more commonly in the larger mountain ranges- but he wouldn't have to worry about them until winter. He could spend his summer here, free of torment or challenge, and fatten himself up for the next breeding season. 

But that would depend on how many other carnivores visited his turf, and he watched as one in particular made her way up the incline toward him. She seemed to have caught his scent, as she was more or less following his trail- a peculiar thought, that- but as he stayed quiet still and silent on his perch, he assumed that she hadn't spotted him yet. He bit his tongue as he watched her draw closer and closer- until she came to the point where he had begun marking the mesa as his territory. Dogs; how much dumber could they get? There she was, standing just below him. He could simply drop down upon her in an instant, pin her and grab the back of her neck and be done with it. But given his recent success at claiming a territory, he was in a decent mood. 

"Given the fact you are the very first to trespass into my territory," He began, speaking with a tone that was both velvety and articulate, knowing that he would likely startle her. He hoped to; he wanted to use her surprise to his advantage. He stood up and looked down at her with a calm, gaze, though the tip of his tail twitched, hinting at a more mercurial side of his personality. "I'm inclined to grant you forgiveness- so long as you turn and leave, now." He said, accenting the last word with a hiss, and crouching to illustrate just how ready he was to pounce- and send her away with a brutal reminder of how impolite it was to ignore a territory's boundaries.
Máscara del diablo
461 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
A voice, from above, crooning and so very distinctly feline, sent Vanity darting away from the tree at a seconds notice.
She glared up, not hearing the thud as it lept down yet, watching it lecture her.
Arrogant cat.

She tilted her chin up, considering her options.
A good start was that he seemed to be in a good mood. Secondly, he hadn't come down yet.
But she didn't want to piss him off more.
But Vanity still wanted to learn something from a cougar in these lands.

"Teach me something and I'll never return, unless invited."
She dared to tag on that last part, though knew it was extremely unlikely that a cat would invite a wolf for dinner.
She hoped it was something that would aid her in war, or would this cat teach her by leaping onto her?
Vanity took a few more cautionary steps back.
33 Posts
Ooc —
Skittering back, the wolf retreated to a distance which she likely thought to be safe- though she might have underestimated the fact that he was a mountain lion- and therefore a record-holder in the world of jumps and leaps. Still, she'd made a smart move; while it would only take one, maybe two bounds to reach her- he was no longer guaranteed the same, direct hit he would have been able to acheive had she remained at the base of his tree. 

Her demand caused his eyes to narrow into pinpoints, but he wasn't terribly offended by her audacity. He'd warned her, and she'd moved back. He was amused that she dared demand something of him, on his territory- and that she was also bold enough to suggest that she might return, knowingly treading once more in a kingdom governed by an animal much stronger than she was...He he wasn't foolhardy enough to have his ego dashed, nor was he choleric enough to have the torch of anger lit. He remained where he was, though he sat up out of his crouch as though to illustrate that he did not intend to leap into action. He knew better than to risk his own health due to battered pride. 

"Dauntless, aren't you?" He commented, his words implying that it was perhaps meant as a compliment, though there was no denying the thinly veiled threat behind his tone. He chortled, his voice a deep, sinewy rumble. She'd moved back a few steps, which indicated that perhaps she feared the effect her words might have- as though she simply expected that he would launch himself at her to teach her a lesson physically. So he slid back into his relaxed position on the bough, lying somewhat like the sphynx, ready to utter riddles and simultaneously prepared to pounce and devour those who answered incorrectly. "Very well. What sort of lesson are you looking for?" He asked. After all- a good teacher must also know to listen to their pupils.
Máscara del diablo
461 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
She dare not reply to his comment.
His actions are too dynamic for her to read. She crouched slightly, mimicking a cougar. Tail slashing the air left and right.
She represented a pissed off kitty - or so she thought from what she studied.

She was overstepping, far for what she was.
A lone wolf who once had a mountain where she could be at peace with cougars. And a pack behind her.
Here, she was a lone wolf, sizing up this particularly large and certainly experienced male.

"some hunting tip I'm sure your wiseness has developed, or a move that could save my life - from your kind or my own. I don't care if you think I can't do it, I'll learn."
Even if he outright attacker her, she could be ok. 
Could be, not will be.
33 Posts
Ooc —
She wanted hunting advice, and he took a moment to consider her demand. He might have been more inclined to share his wisdom with her had she requested it, rather than demanding it from him. And while he wasn't terribly moved by the threat that she might return, and felt fairly certain that he very well could simply kill her and be done with it...Virtute was not the least bit interested in risking his pelt for his pride. Rationally, he knew it would be easier to satisfy her demand than risk having her, plus a few of her other doggy friends returning just for kicks. Canines were simple like that; and he knew better than to tempt them toward violence. 

He regarded her with a cool, even gaze, before he stretched and yawned, as though to show his boredom. If nothing else, it would be a clear sign of just how little he felt threatened by her, and that he was, indeed, humoring her. "If you're looking to avoid being hurt or killed by one of my kind," He spoke thoughtfully, "Then I'll tell you to mind my border markings, since you seem to have forgotten your manners." He said, his voice a soft rumble. She'd meandered directly into harm's way by coming this close, and it was a lesson, apparently, she hadn't been taught earlier on in her life. "Not all of my kind are as forgiving as I am- and on any other day I might've simply dropped down on you from above...That is how I kill my prey...And I am very good at it." He said. Her weak threat deserved little more than a simple statement of the truth. "I am not satisfied with having you come so close to my territory, so in return, you've earned an answer that will do little to satisfy your curiosity. Be grateful to have been given that- oh, and your life. Ta-ta now," He said, assuming that she would take the hint- and show herself out.
Máscara del diablo
461 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
Talk talk talk.
That's what all cats were full of.
Winding, meandering words that diverted from their real point and honestly became a real bore if you spoke to them often.
And this one was obviously no different.

Her ears tilted back and forth, thinking.
Cats didn't like to hurt each other. They didn't like getting dirty, and neither did Vanity really.
But he gave her a tip at least, hunting from above.
She'd seen it, but today she only realised the gravity it could give her in a fight or hunt.
"I have no doubt," she replied to his proud statement that may have also been a warning she didn't care for.

But of course, she always liked to push her boundaries further than expected.
Vanity feinted a lunge, lurching her body forwards and slapping her paws down in front of her, but made no move to actually strike the cat.
33 Posts
Ooc —
Not sure what odds to use for rolling dice for cougar vs wolf...feel free to PM me and we can sort that out if you'd like.
She didn't seem terribly pleased, which didn't dissatisfy Virtute, who remained where he was, looking down at her, assuming she might simply get bored of him at some point and leave. Still, the pinpoint of his pupils followed her, reading her for any signs of aggression, and keeping a tally on how far she was away from him so that he could estimate how many bounds it would take from his position in the tree's bough to reach her. 

But she would close the gap herself- in a bearlike motion which caused Virtute's whiskers to twitch in amusement, bringing a smile to his features. "Thank you," He purred calmly. "For confirming my suspicions," He said leisurely. She had- after all- brought herself well within his reach, and so, without any further hesitation, he leapt directly at her from his perch, slipping from the boughs like a silky ribbon and reaching directly for her with his long, outstretched limbs. She'd walked right into his grasp- and now she would pay for her arrogance.
Máscara del diablo
461 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
He lept at her like she'd expect him to do.
They always pounced.
And she expected it.

Because she'd already got a grip on the ground before her, she could throw herself backward and miss his outstretched claws, waiting to drag her into his clutches so he could kick her guts out.
She sidestepped, then lunged herself, hoping he may be unbalanced from relying on her being where he expected. She could perhaps make him fall on hit butt or something, but she knew she wouldn't last long against him and will have to run soon.
33 Posts
Ooc —
He'd have to give it to her- she was fast, and he had already briefed her about how cougars attacked...So he landed on the ground, and crouched, using his long, thick tail to balance himself, but the wolf was at his flank in an instant with her snapping jaws. He felt the pierce of keen canines above his hip. He yowled and spun, to pull his haunches free from her grasp and used his momentum to whirl around, and lash out with his dominant paw- aiming a powerful slap at her shoulderblades meant to scythe through her flesh, and send her scuttling away. Should that not cause her to turn and flee, he would be prepared to launch himself again.
Máscara del diablo
461 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
Her eyes widened as the paw swept for her. There was no escape this time.
The long claws raked from the top of her shoulder, nearly down to her chest.
The force sent her reeling, struggling to stay upright as her flesh burned.

In all her time, she'd never been this reckless and now suffered from it.
She fell backwards quickly, tail tucked and ears slicked. Yeah, she'd fucked up.
Vanity knew she had to go. And go now.
So without another snarky remark, she turned and ran fast. Cats would rather lounge than chase, otherwise, they'd not be ambush hunters.

Vanity didn't look back.
Lol! Thank you so much for this thread <3