Neverwinter Forest follow the beat of another conundrum
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Osprey took the notice of Mordecai's tiredness and as he settled down to his haunches, she did the same. Out of politeness and because she was a little tired from standing too. The easiest way to make her happy was for someone to take appreciation of her so-called "mission". Many people didn't understand, what a joy it was to see a story unfold before one's eyes, to be a part of it so much that, while your body remained, where it was, your soul was flying high and above the ground. It was a beautiful and breathetaking experience and she felt a little pity to all, who couldn't feel something similar.

"I don't have favorites - I love all of my metaphorical "children"," she said a fond smile gracing her expression. "Picking out just one would mean that someone else would get upset. No child deserves to feel less loved," she explained, feeling that she had become a little to excentric and that she migth scare her companion. "Though they like to show off - therefore make the task easier for me - and, of course, free me from the responsibility of upsetting kids - choose a theme and I am sure tha one of the kids will hop out in the front," Osprey offered her companion to make a choice himself, because it was too hard for her.
marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
Amusedly, she announced that it was simply not that easy. He grasped the reasoning why just as easily and it only further lent itself to his amusement. Treating stories like children, that was definitely a concept that made perfect sense. For a moment, it made him wonder if that was the way his mother had done things, because she had never seemed to pick favorites. His father tried not to, but it was always clear to Mordecai that he favored some better than others. He had always listened to them all the same, however.

“How about a creative one? What kind of story can you make out of this place around us?” Her prompt inspired him to appeal to both of their curiosities. After all, she had claimed to be the witch of the wood up until minutes ago, so certainly something must have inspired her to let her own imagination run loose. He could definitely see why too, because there was not very much in the old wood that Mordecai did not consider as haunting or ghastly, or even something that held the secrets and stories of old locked away beneath ancient deep roots and mossy covers.
[Image: warrior_master.gif] [Image: gamekeeper_master.gif]
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
The fellow didn't make it much easier - the description was very vague. All stories are creative - Osprey wanted to tell him, but held back, because not all people were so deep in the story-making processes as her. Uncreative stories were even harder to make - and even that demanded at least a bit of creativity.

Surroundings... her expression change to a thoughful one, as she let her gaze wander around the dark forest. It was a pity that she couldn't see more than the darkness and moonlight revealed - surely the place must have been beautiful during the daytime. On the other hand - maybe this was just the point. Darkness. Travellers. Light.

Immediately she thought of the story she had made together with Ty and somehow the ending of it clicked together with this one. "Once upon a time... there was a kingdom located right here, where we stand. It was an old one, the wolves here had lived here for hundreds of years - they were strong, noble, smart, but very proud. In their eyes no one was a match for them. They were the best and they made sure that everyone knew it.

Before I proceed, you have to know that witches are neither good or bad. They are witches - good, when they desire so, sneaky, when they need it, and righteous, even though the way they achieve is not always... entirely acceptable. So - there was a witch of the older kind living nearby. She had her own lands - borders were respected by all of the creatures that live nearby, the kingdom wolves included.

However over the time they grew too proud and too daring and they decided to banish the witch from her home and take her land as theirs. Therefore - one morning all of them went over to the witch's den and called her out. Old and cranky she came out and eyed the wolves in an unfriendly manner. She listened to their demands and thought for a very long time. Then she said: "You can't make me leave - don't even dare to try that. Yet, if you prove to be as clever and great as you say, then I will give you these lands as a gift. If not - I will take your kingdom.

The wolves thought for a bit and then accepted her rules - for how could an old hag beat them? The witch on the other hand smiled and sealed the deal. "There will be three challenges.","
here Osprey stopped and looked at her companion. "Can you guess, what they were?" she asked, inviting him to join the process of story-making.
marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
Oh, I love this story already! <3

As she began, Mordecai allowed himself to be swept away with the story. It was not hard for him to lose himself in that regard, because if it were truly one thing that he found he did enjoy, it was always a story. Stories of travel, of adventure, even some of danger. It was as though he had never completely outgrown the love of hearing a story. Not that any one should, of course. If it were but one thing passed onto a fair amount of the children between Leviathan and Chena, it was a love of a tale. Perhaps it were those stories of their past that had inspired many of them to venture out on their own. In Mordecai's case, this had been partially true.

When she posed a question, he found himself dawdling, searching for a response. Her story had conjured up the very creatures she spoke of and readily, he thought of vices and virtues. The very things that all of them possessed and put to use, for better and for worse. “Would one of them have been humility?” he suggested at first, following up with yet another one. “Or perhaps temperance to control their want of the witch's lands.” He only remembered some of either category, but it was safe to say that the wolves she had conjured up in his mind were driven by greed, if not lust. Pride was a given as well.
[Image: warrior_master.gif] [Image: gamekeeper_master.gif]
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Humility, temperance, pride... Osprey nodded, accepting her companion's suggestions, but finding a little difficulty in going on with the story. Coming up with quests was easy, as long as they involved a "physical" challenge - such as speed, keenness of mind and being excellent at something. However, when each quest needed a meaning behind it, especially for the person to learn, then it got complicated. However, she was an avid story-teller and didn't give up on a story, just because the one, who listened, wanted to see something more in the story.

"The witch told them to return the very next day. Wolves went, but the old hag spent all evening and night, wandering through her forest, thinking and plotting. When the morning sun graced the lands, she had come up with three quests, which - she was sure - the kingdom wolves would fail to accomplish. Truth to be told - she had no intentions of giving up her lands, even if they winned. Witches are like that - unpredictable," she said with a knowing smile.

"The wolves came, ready to take any challenge in order to banish the witch. She greeted them and led them to the place of the first quest. It was a big river, the stream was strong and wild, anyone, who would attempt to cross it, would fall to his or her death. She turned to the wolves and said: "By the end of the day find a way to make a safe bridge over the river." The wolves were confused at first, but then went on planning, while the witch settled herself down on a big, flat rock and watched them working.

They tried a lot of things, but anything that they attempted to build was simply swept away by the stream. At the end of the day - angry, frustrated and tired - they admitted their failure to the witch. Also telling her that this was cheating - that this had been impossible. The witch, however, quirked her eyebrows, smiled and then - without a word - went over to the riverbank, murmured some magical words and over the next few moments rocks and pieces of tree appeared from all sides, arranging themselves in a safe bridge, which the stream was unable to tackle. Then she turned to the wolves and said: "Impossible by men, not so by a witch. All you had to do was simply ask for help."

Of course, the wolves were angry to wit's end and swore under their breaths for the way the witch had tricked them. She - however - told them to return the very next day. They still had chances to prove themselves to her. Anger faded over the night and the very next day they returned to her, determined to beat the witch this time. She led them to a clearing, where there was..."
Osprey paused briefly, thinking about the best way to continue. She didn't have a single idea for the next quest, even though she had plotted out the rest of the story already. "...a big maze made of various things - bushes, stones, trees - tall walls, all arranged so that it was no easy task to get out of the maze, once you got in.

The witch told them that there is a secret about this maze and you have to reveal it together. If they managed to find out, what it was, before the sundown, they will have accomplished the quest. The wolves got in the maze without having a second thought - all too eager to find the treasure, but not too eager to stick together. They began to argue, split up and all too soon were they lost, unable to find their way out. At sundown the maze disappeared into thin air and the witch reappeared, casting an amused look at the wolves. "The walls of the maze were easy to move at some points - had you stuck together and worked at the team - you would have found this out soon enough."

Needless to say that the wolves were infuriated - they understood that at this rate it was impossible to win her. Therefore without a second thought they attacked the witch and killed her, tearing her in pieces, her blood painting the grass and their pelts crimson. But they didn't know the simple rule - that you can't kill a witch without a good reason. If you do - you get punished. This is what happened to each of the wolves that had put their paw in slaughteringher. The droplets of her blood turned into flames and very soon not only the grass was burning, but the wolves as well.

They attempted to run, but, wherever they set their paws, wherever the witch's blood fell, flames appeared, destroying everything in their way. It burned for three days and nights, killing every living soul of the pack, as well as making their lands barren. The only place that remained unharmed was the witch's lands, protected by her magic. Over the time - the lands recovered, the memory of it's past inhabitants faded and over the time many packs tried to settle here, however, not for too long, because all kinds of troubles struck them. The rumor says it that this forest is still under the witch's curse and, as long as her soul has not forgiven to those, who did her harm, no one will settle here ever again,"
she finished the story on a little morbid tone than she had intended at first. But as the night went on, the feeling that you didn't quite belong here grew stronger.

"By the way - on windy nights one can hear the howls and screams of those wolves, there have been people, telling that they have met spirits of them, wandering through the forest, never finding peace. And, if you are keen observer, it's not impossible to catch a glimpse of the witch, see reflections of her magic," she added, suddenly turning her attention to a loud screeching noise somewhere in the darkness.

She stood still and listened for a while, slowly regretting that she had told a horror story rather than a nice one. Because at this moment it was beginning to feel as very real and she began to have a hard time controlling her irrational part of her mind. "I will be going," she said, turning back to her companion, sounding apologetic a bit. This fellow - scary at first - had turned out to be a nice one. Too bad it wasn't a day-time that their meeting had taken place. "I hope to meet you some time again," she told him, before turning around and disappearing in the surrounding darkness, eager to reach the plateau as fast as possible.

ooc: I went ahead and drew it to a conclusion. Thank you a lot for this long thread and I hope to have another one with your character in the future! Happy New Year! :)