Shadewood Dreams seem so real
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
There was little to no evidence I could find about deer, specifically bucks, fighting back against wolves. I searched and searched but couldn't find anything conclusive. I've seen a buck defend itself with one wolf but two is a different story. So maybe a dice roll? Or would it be just as realistic for the buck to simply run? I don't know, what's your opinion? 

Although Rye still had concerns about the buck, he knew deer were much more likely to run than fight. At some point in his youth Rye witnessed a female deer leave her fawn behind in order to escape. A harrowing sight, it opened his eyes to just how brutal the world can be. "If there is one, it will probably run like the others, too focused on survival than his females. We can't not alert him, I don't know a wolf out there that could quietly lead a single deer away. " He said. For a moment Rye gave in to the thought of fighting back against the buck but that was the lack of sleep and hunger speaking on behalf of the brain. "We should get moving before the herd wonders away too far."

Knots twisted in his stomach for the hunt they'd soon begin. Rye knew he didn't have the energy for it, the only thing that would be his save and grace was adrenaline. However that could only last for so long, his steam would run out just as quickly as it formed. Rye took lead without a word in advance to Effie, he was too consumed with the possibilities and outcomes of the hunt to remember the hunting lesson. He switched between contemplating about the hunt and tracking; his nose often dipping down to pick up scents before moving on without a word. 

It wasn't long before the scents became stronger and calls from the deer could be heard in detail. The deer were grazing and wondering while the fawns played in the mix of the adults, a peaceful sight ready for chaos to erupt. Rye got down low and scanned the herd, looking for the eye catching antlers atop a deers head, and there it was. Two thick beams with multiple tines protruding out of it at odd angles, they looked nightmarish. Yet, so soft? Rye inwardly questioned the sight before him and took a moment to correct his weary brain. His head slowly bobbing up, down and side to side, trying to get better angles. There was no way that buck had fur on its anlters. With a little bit more looking/straining with his eyes. No, yeah that was fuzzy antlers.

His tail began to wag, the revelation was brilliant and soothed most of his worries. "That deer has fur on his antlers so, his threat level goes down a few notches. Hopefully at least." A shread of doubt still wormed its way through. He wasn't entirely sure if the antlers would be less deadly but he wanted to believe it. "We should still be wary of him but the new odds are probably in our favor." He explained with suppressed excitement in his hushed voice. 

Now was the precursor to the main event, they needed to find a female that was easy to take down. After looking through the lot Rye liked the look of the doe in the back. Thinner, slower looking and duller in color than the bright browns next to it. "You see that one towards the back? Its coat is darker than the rest." Rye gave Effie a moment to find it before quietly speakin again. "I believe that one's older, I'm not sure but that looks like our best target. What do you think?"
"If you lose yourself, your courage soon will follow.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
Messages In This Thread
Dreams seem so real - by Rye - June 10, 2020, 10:13 PM
RE: Dreams seem so real - by Effie - June 11, 2020, 10:43 AM
RE: Dreams seem so real - by Rye - June 11, 2020, 03:11 PM
RE: Dreams seem so real - by Effie - June 12, 2020, 07:45 PM
RE: Dreams seem so real - by Rye - June 12, 2020, 11:05 PM
RE: Dreams seem so real - by Effie - June 15, 2020, 11:34 PM
RE: Dreams seem so real - by Rye - June 18, 2020, 02:20 PM
RE: Dreams seem so real - by Effie - June 19, 2020, 11:15 PM
RE: Dreams seem so real - by Rye - June 21, 2020, 04:27 PM