Ocean's Breath Plateau If there's discretion that you'd not abandoned, now's the time
But inside me, there is a light…
118 Posts
Ooc — Mantra
Sumac was immensely grateful for Raindrop's presence, the feeling of her weight pressed against him offering him a steady source of reassurance. Yes, he was doing the right thing, regardless of the outcome. This was a clean slate, a fresh start - from here on out, 'Mac resolved to be above the board, ensuring his actions were in accordance with his personal code of ethics. The fear abated a little at this thought, and resolution began to steady his quivering muscles.

The young man's ears focused intently as his wife spoke, having only words of praise for him. 'Mac dared to allow his gaze to dart upward, catching a glance at Rodyn's expression. Though much of his face wore an expressionless mask, his eyes were stern, austere - and had their places been switched, Sumac felt certain he'd wear the same look.

He winced, squeezing his eyes shut as Rodyn accused Raindrop of taking advantage of the situation. So much of him wanted to raise his voice in protest, throwing all of the blame on himself and redirecting the alpha's displeasure back onto himself. Prudence sealed his lips, recognizing that any backtalk would only be to both their detriments. 

Then, Rodyn shouldered some of the blame himself, his demeanor easing somewhat, and 'Mac found his respect for the other man elevate. Rodyn seemed to be a steady, compassionate, and humble leader - someone the mountain boy found he could come to respect fairly easily. Perhaps this truly was the best place for him.

And then, the pronouncement. Rodyn would not chase them away; in fact, he welcomed 'Mac into the fold. And his penance? Join the alpha on his hunts, helping to bring down larger game and replenish the pack's stores. Sumac lifted his head slightly and gave a few eager waves of his tail.

"I'm honored, Alpha. You are m-most generous. I will gladly join you on these hunts, and I will make it my mission to help replenish our r-reserves," he replied, his voice growing stronger with determination.
…Even in the darkest night