Heron Lake Plateau I Hear the Wind Call My Name
97 Posts
Ooc — Bryndel
All Welcome 
Owen rubbed at his eye, clearing the sleepy seeds from it and making sure that it was in just as full working order as the other one. It had lagged behind initially, taking awhile to realize its partner had opened, and Owen was still somewhat preoccupied with a concern that it might forget to keep up with the other little blue peeper, since it had already demonstrated its tendency to lay down on the job. Having two eyes was important. It let him keep a closer watch out for den invaders, and to make sure Mommy was where she was supposed to be, and even stopped him from being trampled by some-sister-or-other on occasion—or, okay, trampling upon them himself, which with the exception of Kite he did kinda tend to carelessly do once in a while himself.

It also gave him depth perception. Owen squinched up his rusty little muzzle and took a few bold steps closer to glare with all the heat his tiny blue eyes could muster at the nearer edge of the den entryway. He had gotten up the courage to go past it a few times by now, but ever since his nose's first violent encounter with that earthen corner he had never really quite trusted it. While it had never yet swooped over and bitten him while his back was turned, he suspected that it could and would if only it was feeling ornery enough, which made him overly cautious of letting his tail face the thing unless there was a comforting adult leg or two resting inbetween it and him. Besides which, the last time he'd mustered up the will to slip past the thing, he'd encountered that bizarre feathery white thing that had gone all psycho on him; he wasn't convinced that malicious dirt wall hadn't gone and summoned that monstrous critter behind his back just to spite him. ...Not that lurking here in the den was any special guarantee of predictable safety, true; strangers came and went more than Owen liked, and none of them were anything like as good as Mommy, with their bellies so dry and empty of milk. And some of those had been very strange strangers indeed, too, in his opinion, though at least the monsters that actually entered the den were usually benevolent monsters, so far as Owen could tell. He didn't quite trust anything that could change its shape at will from bird to wolf and back again, though. Downright unnatural, if you asked him.

From everything he had seen his sisters had been a lot more careless about all of this than he himself, no matter how he tried to forewarn them of the dangers he spotted. The great outdoors were beckoning, however; somewhere outside in the Great Beyond Owen could hear the cheerful calling of birds, the clackety-scratch noises of scurrying insects, the whisper of the breeze's fingers trailing through through the greenery—not to mention the amazing array of smells! The sun-warmed earth seemed deceptively welcoming. But Owen knew that no matter how inviting it might look, or sound, or smell, there were absolutely things he could not trust and all sorts of weirdoes he might encounter out there in the great big world. So he stood there silhouetted in the entrance, shooting the corner of the entryway another quick little narrow-eyed stare and puppyish growl of warning before shifting his eyes to the golden-haloed exit to the outside and trying to decide if it would be worth it to attempt stepping through that siren-songed portal once more today.
Messages In This Thread
I Hear the Wind Call My Name - by Owen - August 04, 2018, 02:39 PM
RE: I Hear the Wind Call My Name - by Quixote - August 10, 2018, 02:09 AM
RE: I Hear the Wind Call My Name - by Owen - August 19, 2018, 01:54 AM
RE: I Hear the Wind Call My Name - by Quixote - September 07, 2018, 11:32 PM
RE: I Hear the Wind Call My Name - by Owen - September 14, 2018, 04:43 AM
RE: I Hear the Wind Call My Name - by Quixote - September 16, 2018, 01:06 AM
RE: I Hear the Wind Call My Name - by Owen - September 17, 2018, 03:04 AM
RE: I Hear the Wind Call My Name - by Quixote - September 25, 2018, 10:32 PM
RE: I Hear the Wind Call My Name - by Owen - September 28, 2018, 04:13 AM
RE: I Hear the Wind Call My Name - by Quixote - December 09, 2018, 12:45 AM
RE: I Hear the Wind Call My Name - by Owen - December 27, 2018, 04:40 PM