Phoenix Maplewood I feel it in my bones.
2 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 

Due north of the tangle that dominated the boundary between the world's edge and the interior, there were massive stone protrusions. Most of them were thickly layered with moss or at least partially buried by earth, creating an irregular hillside - like a sprawling gravesite on the edge of the maze. She'd spied the near-black mess of trees from the cliffside and became intrigued; the way the morning mist settled between the trees reminded her of the grotto and Usha was briefly smitten. It took most of the night and early morning for her to get as far as the plateau that rose out of the mist due south of those stones, but once she made it Usha could spy upon the entire valley from the vantage point the ridge afforded her.

It was breathtaking. The morning mist had begun to drift and fade by afternoon, but there was still a sheen to the greenery and an enigmatic glow to the foreign surroundings. The wide open sky overhead was perfectly blue — she looked skyward as she roamed further along the ridge and as she began to climb down, Usha realized there wasn't a cloud in the sky. The vast, vibrant, glorious blue of the sky made her grin like an idiot. It was a good thing that Willow and Nettle were back home — they'd surely be making fun of her by now.

The wolf was nearing her limit as she marched her way south-east, seeking shelter now. The open sky was beautiful until one realized the dangers of it. It was a good thing Usha wasn't as burly as some wolves, or as dense with coat, because she was feeling too warm and exposed beneath the beating sun.

It was only spring! Usha wondered if the summers in this land were going to be much better; her home had been termed the summerland but when compared to the warmth here, it was nothing. She didn't carry herself with the same swagger or energy as she roamed, now. The girl knew she was hungry, thirsty, and in need of some shade - so when she finally spotted the infernal reds and golds of yet another forest, she was more stricken by its proximity than its appearance - and made herself run most of the way across the uneven landscape until she passed beneath the boughs, sinking in to the chilled shadows of the maplewood with a sigh.

It occurred to her afterwards that this was a prime location for a pack — but after some cursory glances and a little investigation, she couldn't find any sign of other wolves. A part of her felt relieved, but deep down Usha knew her mission would fail if she didn't find more bodies soon. For now she focused on finding somewhere to rest her tired body, and once she had done that, she'd get to work hunting down something suitable to eat. She slowed her pace to something more casual as she investigated the shadows, bends in the natural paths, and even gave a few sniffs to some of the older maple trees - having never before seen such colors on any tree before - until finally deciding to settle in a heap on the ground.

Please read the disclaimer on Usha's profile before you reply.
Messages In This Thread
I feel it in my bones. - by Usha - April 29, 2019, 12:30 PM
RE: I feel it in my bones. - by Katora - May 17, 2019, 10:19 PM