Redhawk Caldera Globes and maps
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
Elwood had done his best to keep his cool, at least for Eljay's sake. He didn't let his son see how worried he was, but he was finally reaching a breaking point. Finley had been gone for two weeks and there had been no sign of her near the borders. He wanted to go and search for her himself, but he couldn't bear to leave Eljay; the boy was already distressed by his mother's absence. Besides, he was no outrider -- he didn't know his way around the territory beyond Redhawk Caldera.

So it was with grim determination that he threw his head back and howled, requesting @Wildfire's presence. He trusted the youth and knew that she would be more than willing to go looking for her missing aunt. She was young and ambitious, and beyond that, she had spent plenty of time scouting as of late; if there was anyone that was familiar with Great Bear Wilderness it was Wildfire.

He waited on pins and needles just outside his den, one ear cocked back towards its entrance. Eljay was inside napping, but he knew that the minute the boy woke up, the questions and tears would resume.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Wildfire woke, slowly surfacing from sleep. She yawned and smacked her lips, her eyelids fluttering. They shot open rather suddenly when consciousness poured over her like ice cold water. She stared blankly at the branches overhead as she suddenly remembered that Sebastian was gone and Finley was missing. Heart heavy, she slowly picked herself up off the cold ground, sighing as she rose onto all fours and gave her red pelt a good shake. Magpie had left not so long ago too and Dove had died shortly before that. It just seemed to Wildfire like her family was falling apart around her.

Her parents and godparents were supposed to be the firmest fixtures in her life, yet no one had heard from Finley since Wildfire's own encounter with her at Nocturne Summit. The youth stopped to drink from a puddle, the water settling into her stomach like a cold fist. Something must have happened to prevent Finley from returning home; there was no other acceptable explanation. She wouldn't just walk out on her mate, her child or her godchildren like that.

As if reading her mind from afar, Elwood's voice rose into the air, summoning her. Wildfire promptly finished her drink and loped toward the Beta pair's den. Her step hastened when she realized he might be calling her to tell her Finley had finally come home. But when she came around the bend and saw him standing outside the den, alone, her heart sank even further than before. She drew up beside him, offering a nudge, her amber eyes sad, worried and curious.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
Anxiety settled into Elwood's stomach like a fist as he waited for Wildfire's response. He couldn't imagine what would have kept Finley away from the Caldera for so long -- especially considering she was nearly as attached to Eljay as the boy was to her. Something must have happened, and the Beta male's mind whirled with all of the possibilities. Had she been attacked? Injured herself? Gotten sick? Or worse?

He started when Wildfire approached, although he had been eagerly anticipating her arrival. He blinked, drawing himself back into the present as his niece came to stand next to him, touching him gently with her nose. She didn't speak, but her expression indicated that she already knew why he had called her.

"Hey, Wifi. I have a favor to ask of you," he said solemnly, stiffening slightly as he heard Eljay give a little groan behind him. He looked back, but luckily the pup had just turned over in his sleep and hadn't woken.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Uncle Elwood mentioned a favor. It strongly reminded her of when Peregrine had called her to go search for Pan. Realizing this must be what he was about to ask, Wildfire's lips pursed. She nodded. Of course she would go out and look for her aunt. It was a fantastic opportunity, getting to put her trade to use in a way that directly benefited the pack, but she didn't concern herself with that just now. Out of anyone presently living in the caldera, she was the most qualified to locate the Beta female. It was a daunting task but an honorable one.

"What is it?" she asked despite already knowing. Perhaps he would have a particular request or condition. She added, "Anything," to let her godfather know she was prepared to do whatever he might ask of her.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
He paused only long enough for Wildfire to gently press for more information, reassuring him that she would accept any task that she gave him. In that moment, Elwood found himself marveling at how much she had grown up. He had known her in her first days of life, when she was a tiny, colicky pup -- and now, here she was, nearly an adult in age and certainly with the maturity of one. Although he was endlessly worried about what had happened to Finley, he at least felt confident in his niece's ability to track her down.

"It's Aunt Flea," he said, referring to the childish nickname Wildfire had bestowed upon her godmother long ago and which she still used. Somehow, it felt appropriate in this situation. "She's been gone two weeks now. She said she would only be away a couple of days. I'm worried about her, and I want you to see if you can find her," he said, golden eyes pleading.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
She hadn't realized it had been so long, though she should have known, considering the time table of their encounter at Nocturne Summit. Something had definitely happened to the Beta female. Wildfire felt her stomach clench with fear for her aunt's safety. Elwood needn't have looked at her with pleading eyes. She would have done it regardless, yet if Finley's life was in the balance, she would not only set out directly but she wouldn't come home until she found her godmother.

"I'll leave right away," she told him. "I'll find her, Uncle El." Even if she was hurt or worse, Wildfire would figure out where Finley had gone and what had happened to her. "I'll bring her home." Hopefully she would be in one piece when that happened but Wildfire would do her duty no matter the condition in which she found the silvered she-wolf.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
*tries to stretch to 10 posts*

The young outrider was quick to accept her task, however daunting. In that regard, Elwood was relieved; he knew that Wildfire would never deny his request, but he was happy to have the verbal confirmation of her acceptance. At least there would be someone out there looking for Finley -- and this particular someone was skilled in spite of her youth.

"I know you will," he replied, wanting to believe that she would be successful. In reality, the result wasn't so cut and dry. Elwood wasn't sure what would be worse: not finding Finley, or discovering that she had been injured or even killed. Taking a deep breath to calm his own nerves, he said, "You were with her at Nocturne Summit, right? Maybe she's still somewhere around there. Either way -- I want you to check in with me in a couple of days, okay?" The very last thing he wanted was for something bad to happen to Wildfire while she was searching for Finley.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
I think we can both post once more after this and we should hit it?! *tries to math*

"Yes," she confirmed when Elwood reminded her of their impromptu encounter at the nearby mountain. She would definitely check there, as well as plumb every corner of Great Bear Wilderness. "If I'm not too far away, I'll report with a howl. I'll come back..." She paused, pondering. There was so much land to cover, it would take weeks to properly search. Hopefully she wound find Finley long before then. "Five days. I'll meet you at the borders and let you know what I've found." Or haven't, she mentally added, though she didn't want to drag down her godfather with that tidbit of pessimism.

"If I haven't found her or at least a clue by then, I'll take Raven out with me," Wildfire decided aloud after another short and ponderous pause. "But for now, I'll head out by myself. Is there anything else?" She made a motion as if to leave, yet she lingered in case her uncle had any parting instructions. "I'm sure I'll find her, Uncle El." Mostly because the alternative—that Finley should just disappear forever—was unthinkable.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
Perfect! For some reason I was thinking we would be short one post, lol. *can't math*

Five days. It seemed like an eternity, but Elwood convinced himself that it was a manageable goal. It was at least the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel, and hopefully he would only have to appease Elwood Jr for that much longer. He nodded, giving his approval, and then pricked his ears as Wildfire elaborated. In the case that she couldn't find Finley in that time, she would recruit her sister to help. He didn't want to think about that just yet, but he accepted that she had a plan in place just the same.

"I think that's all," he said slowly. He gave her a small, tight-lipped smile. "Thank you, Wifi. Be careful."
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
"I will. See you soon," Wildfire said, offering him a crooked smile before turning and swiftly heading toward the borders. She tried to decide which direction to go the whole way there. She reached the outskirts before reaching a decision, so she slowed down and lingered indecisively for a few moments. The rippling waters of Lake Rodney caught her eye and she decided to head that way. She started to lope toward the distant shore, nose dropping to the ground as she began her search.