Sunbeam Lair It feels good today
A dragon will never bow down
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Private 
HERE WE GO AHA @Noctura

Ever since the move, she'd hardly been around her tribe mates. Often she was busying herself, wandering along the borders and then trekking through the lair itself. Whatever wolves had been gathering in the nearby canyon appeared to have departed, perhaps heading to freer lands. Still, she was not yet ready to forget of the territory, watching it from a distance every now and again as if she were attempting to catch a thief red-handed. Of course, no regulars were ever seen hanging around it, but the girl remained cautious all the same. A repeat of what had happened at the dome was not something she sought, but was something she would do everything in her power to prevent. She had been lucky that the dragon king had followed, but strongly believed he would not do so again. A second chance had been given for her to honour a promise made within a dream, and a third could not be foreseen.

In spite of everything, however, Asterr had decided to take the day off from patrolling. Every now and again a break was needed so that she would not wear herself thin, and so she'd chosen to spend her time, instead, with her tribe. As the dragoness padded through the woods, though, the only one who came to mind was Noctura. It had been quite a while since they'd spent time together alone, which was an issue she strove to remedy. With that in mind, her muzzle had been directed towards the ceiling overhead and a call released, her voice meant solely for the large male. She knew not just yet what the day might hold in store for them, but figured it could be planned as it progressed.
You're a mirror with two faces
Two sides, simple as that
Thread titles are from Hyuna’s “How’s This”
belonging to the night
175 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Astronomer
Ah, torment. It was a part of him now, but not permanent. It was like a wound desperate to heal, or some gooseweed stuck to his fur. In a way, being tormented was a part of who Noctura was, but he had been free of it when roaming alone, a recluse unable to cause harm to wolves unfortunate enough to step into his path. But he'd joined Ryūjin and now there were wolves around every corner — including those Alphas, that warrior pair who'd driven them from the Thunder Dome. Noctura had tasted the blood of both of them, and he had not meant to. Asterr had not bid he attack. He had been following a violent instinct and that was all. He had not yet been punished for this (either by himself or by Asterr), and this was why he was tormented.

The dragon's call sounded in his heart first — and then in his ears, Asterr's sweet howl filling the sunlit caves. He walked to her without thinking, of course, and when he saw his leader he said — beautiful stranger. He had called her that once, and so this was a melody of nostalgia in his cavern-deep voice, paired with the observation that they had not talked alone for a while.
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
The time spent alone was short lived, her call being responded to promptly. It made her happy to see him, though whether that be because of their lack of time together as of late or feelings she'd yet to grasp, she did not know; the answer was unclear to her for any number of reasons. No matter, she did not dwell on that for very long, instead using her time to offer to him a wag of her tail. "You flatter me," the girl crooned, a smile quickly falling into place across her maw. "Thank you." Though directed at his compliment, the tone she'd taken to using seemed to imply it was for far more than those words alone. It was for everything, truthfully, from his joining the tribe to that very moment, when he'd come at her request. It seemed as if he'd been there for everything, and for that she was truly grateful.

"This place is unlike the cavern at the dome," she stated, gaze slowly trailing along the trees that surrounded them. By the time her eyes had returned to meet the male's, there was a glimmer of joy within them. Saddened was she over the loss of their previous home, but she strongly believed that no happening of the world was without a purpose. Perhaps they had been meant to settle within the lair all along, and all she'd needed was a little shove to get them there. "But there is beauty to it, would you not agree?" The dragoness moved nearer to him, her steps as careful as always though, truthfully, they no longer needed to be. "Would you like to explore this place further with me?" Asterr had rather enjoyed their first, and last, journey of exploration together. She'd been able to learn more about him, as well as behold a marvelous sight. It was an experience she longed to recreate, and hoped she would not be prevented from doing so.
belonging to the night
175 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Astronomer
Flattery... only in a topsy-turvey world would that be the word to describe what Noctura was capable of. He didn't correct her, of course, for he knew her words to reflect her humble personality. Asterr was a very modest girl, unaware that she was dazzling. It all contributed to the shine, of course — and of this she was unaware too. For when Noctura thought or spoke of her beauty, he wasn't simply referring to the delicacy of her features or the grace of her step, but to her magic. Inside and out.

I agree on both counts, he replied — there were distinct differences between the two territories, but at the same time some shared features. And at the invitation to explore this concept further, Noctura did not hesitate. It'd be my pleasure.

The tall male walked at her side, following her more experienced lead. It is strange to think, he began, gaze cast out over the peculiar woodland, that this is the second place I've called home in as many months.
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
If only she had been born a reader of minds, the girl surely would have been left with a rather warm face and heated ears. She'd never considered anything beyond her outward appearance being taken into account when complimented, as she'd never been near to someone like Noctura. In her place of birth, various magics had been acknowledged and even practiced, but to compliment someone for such had never been a common occurrence. It simply was what it was, there was no need to inflate the egos of young wolves that possessed within them a great deal of power. Even she, the dragon's keeper, had never been bestowed a compliment for her gift whilst growing up. Words of encouragement, jealous rants over how lucky she was, and several more, but never a compliment. Thus, she was left unable to see beneath the surface of his words, despite however wise she'd been brought up to be.

Nevertheless, with his meaning being unknown to her, it was offered no attention. What had acquired a great deal of her focus, however, was his agreement to her offer. She'd responded with a gentle swaying of her tail, glad to have him at her side during a time of exploration once more. It was pleasant, really, to have him so near, but for why she was unaware. Never before had young Asterr dabbled in what it meant to develop affectionate feelings for another, as her days had been filled with lessons and her childhood taken away. Never did she complain, of course, but perhaps being left to develop small, one-sided crushes on those older than herself back then could have prepared her for what she was currently going through. Ah, but that was in the past, and could not be changed. The girl was left to figure it all out on her own, and thus far had done a fairly moderate job; she'd recognized that there was a bond between them, but could relate it only to being a product of their mutual loyalty towards one another.

As they began to walk, she grew excited. Even if their trek was uneventful, she would still have gotten something out of it, as she would have spent a great while with the man. "I am confident that this will be our final home," the yearling voiced, offering him a brief glance before looking back to the path ahead of them. "I do not like war, but I will not allow for us to be driven out of this place. I do not believe we have any neighbours this time, but it is impossible to say that we never will again." To move again was, without a doubt, out of the question. "Even if we acquire some in the future, I would like for you to know that I will not let us be chased away so easily for a second time—I will not let you all down." Even as she spoke of such unfortunate things, never did a smile fall from her lips.
belonging to the night
175 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Astronomer
There was something special and right about walking side-by-side with Asterr. Not in terms of equality, for both thought and instinct had made her his leader without question, but in terms of companionship. Noctura had never felt so comfortable around another living being, which wasn't saying much given that the recluse had never had much in the way of companions, but he still knew that she was no ordinary friend. Talking with her felt similar to howling beneath the northern lights or walking by a serene shore whose ocean whispered to him. Their connection was magical, and while Noctura was aware he was very much a romantic who saw magic in many things, he did not feel this conclusion was an exaggeration.

He believed in her confidence that this was their final home, of course, but was beginning to realise that dragons could not manifest in the physical sense (not that she had claimed otherwise). Had he been a young boy, Noctura would have wondered why the dragons had not come to protect the Thunder Dome, but he knew now that they were deities, and they worked through their vessels, not with wing and flame. "I will not allow for us to be driven out of this place." That wasn't a dragon at work, that was Asterr. "I will not allow it." In that moment, Noctura marvelled that she did not have a thousand wolves at her paws. Perhaps one day she would.

Your promise moves me, and I believe in it entirely. And if violence rears its head once more, you can rest assured that I'll fight for you and for Ryūjin. But I... he hesitated. I wish I could be rid of my brutal instincts entirely. At the battle on the borders it shamed me. I was no civilised mediator, I was a beast and no more.
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
There was a feeling that seemed to rise from the depths of her chest whenever she found herself in the male's presence. It was similar to how she'd felt towards the elders in her place of birth, for within the ever-burning flame she could detect an unquestionable respect, but beyond that it seemed... strange. It was greater than what was felt towards the ones who'd taught her, the feeling being something beyond that which her mind could reach. It was not something meant to be understood, only accepted, which normally she would have no qualms with. With Noctura, however, she felt herself wishing so desperately for answers. That someday soon she might wake to find all of her unasked queries had been answered, in spite of her rational side declaring such a thought to be the ramblings of a fool.

It was difficult, to say the least, when it came to pushing her feelings to the side and out of view. While she was well versed in the art of neutrality, something about the ember burning within made it impossible to be smothered. It was special, she'd eventually come to realize, and didn't wish to leave her. There was little more she could do aside from blindly accept it, and yet the girl continued to try and give herself an alternate route. Another way out, if you will, that might enlighten her to exactly what it was that was going on within her. It was not her mind that burned, it was not Draco, but her chest—never before had something of the sort happened, leaving her somewhat confused, but also comforted.

Asterr was welcomed back into the real world as the deep baritones of her companion seemed to caress her ears, placing her usual, soft smile right across her maw. "Never can we leave behind our past selves," the girl began, looking to him. "We can try to forget them, to move on from them, but a piece will always linger. I do not believe your actions were shameful, they were merely an echo of the self you are trying to leave behind." No matter, he had remained Noctura throughout the entire ordeal, he had remained her dear friend. "I do not condone violence—this is something you already know—but... I cannot say I am upset with your actions against the ridge wolves." It had been for the protection of the tribe, after all. Noctura had tried to do what she'd been unable to accomplish. He had tried to protect them all, even with the price of spilt blood having been left to dangle over his head.
belonging to the night
175 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Astronomer
As they walked among subterranean trees whose beauty seemed to both ignore and beckon them, Asterr and Noctura were as atune with nature as they were with each other. And perhaps that was nature too.

For never had a friendship felt so natural to Noctura as what he had with the raven girl. In some ways it was almost peculiar to feel so guided by one so young, but she had wisdom far beyond her single year, and spoke to his heart in a manner no other wolf had — only the phenomenon of magic had ever communed with him like this before. Still his shame from the battle on the borders persevered, and he'd long considered the dark act of banishing himself from the pack, but his lure to Asterr felt even stronger than the very concept of home. So he hadn't managed to bring about the punishment he thought he'd deserved.

She was oh-so-right in her words — utterly true. She was beginning to know him as well as he knew himself — perhaps even more so if there really was potential in him that she could see and he could not. But... Your words mean so much to me, Asterr. But those echoes... are dangerous. The moment I saw that dark wolf threatening you, I didn't even stop to think — my instinct drove me, the sad instinct of a natural killer. If that same instinct one day drives me to hurt one of our packmates... or, dare I think it, hurt you in any way... I couldn't live with myself. Isn't there a part of you that thinks it dangerous to keep me?
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Within the vast world, little things ever appeared of great danger to the girl. It was her upbringing, perhaps, the cause behind her lack of fear, that drove her to see few threats in her midst. She was not oblivious, anything but, actually, but merely preferred the good of the earth, rather than the bad. Her thought process was strange, to some degree, but oddities were the equivalent of norms to her. She had to stifle a chuckle at the male's words, if only because, to her, he couldn't be any more wrong.

"I could never picture you as being a danger to keep amongst us," the girl voiced, stealing a glance his way. "Instincts may drive us, even protect us at times, but that does not mean we are unable to fight against them." That's to say, on the off chance he ever lost control, she felt confident in his ability to harm no one within the tribe. "I know you will not harm me, nor any others within our home. You may think otherwise, but I... I am certain you could never do such a thing." As far as Asterr was concerned, she had all the necessary evidence to support her theory, too. It had been instincts controlling him during the encounter with their old neighbours, and yet, never had he turned his anger upon his fellow tribe mates. Even when she'd recklessly placed herself between him and the dark leader, he'd stopped in his tracks, rather than bulldozing right through her. Whether he'd realized it or not, Noctura possessed control, and such was a belief the dragoness would never let go of.

There was also another matter, or perhaps it was several. "I trust you, Noctura. I trust your judgement, your actions, that you would never turn on any of us." She couldn't even imagine him acting in such a way strongly enough that her opinion might be changed. "I value your presence here, too. I am certain that you will never cause trouble for us, and I could never imagine you leaving." Asterr did not want for him to leave, even on the off chance that it might be best for her tribe. Never in her life had she been selfish before, but where the man was involved... she felt herself deserving of serving herself, even if it was only a small bit.
belonging to the night
175 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Astronomer
Walking with Asterr seemed as natural as breathing. They fell into step without effort, for he was tall and slow and she was small and nimble. And so they were equal in both grace and speed, as if she belonged at his side and he belonged at hers... could he be so brazen as to feel this?

Such was the ease at which they walked and calmly explored the sunlit ground, speaking came just as naturally. He listened to her every articulate word, and was inclined to believe them simply because it was she that uttered them. But perhaps that was enough. Perhaps he had to have faith that there was a possibility that she knew this aspect of him better than he did. He had the empirical, she had the abstract. He had known himself to be a worthless savage, but she knew him to be something else. Something that she had a part in creating.

I won't leave, he summed up his feelings on what she had just said. Of course, what he had really meant to say was "I won't leave you".

But I've been dwelling on my own misguided musings for so long now. We haven't spoken of you for quite some time...
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Never before had she doubted his loyalty to the tribe, and never would she need to. He had stated that he would never leave them, she had heard it clearly, clinging to each individual word. The thought alone that someday he might decide to depart left her feeling hollow, to sum it up, and made her want to ensure such a thing would never happen. If at any time that meant turning a blind eye, she knew she wouldn't do anything but exactly that. Of course, she was not convinced that he would ever give her a reason to do so, which allowed for her to focus better on the present. Between the words he said and his presence at her side—she felt she could ask for nothing more, for she knew not what else to ask for. "Hearing you say that makes me feel... euphoric," she'd murmured soon after, flashing to him a quick smile before looking ahead once more. It had felt strange to say such a thing, as well as understated. The knowledge of his plans to stay made her feel something that she could neither describe in words nor motions, and that made her certain that he was an important being in her life.

As it often went, the topic of conversation was directed her way, and she did not fight it. While speaking to the man about his thoughts and plans was, perhaps, a favourite activity of hers, Asterr knew she could not simply take. For balance to be achieved, one must give back for all that they've taken away, and such was a principle that she would not turn her back against. "That is true," the girl had mused. "Is there anything in particular that you would like to speak about?" There she paused in her steps, looking to him with a gentle tilt of her head. He was given the reins of the conversation, for she'd silently offered to him a chance at bringing forth any topic he very so pleased. Truthfully, the dragoness was quite interested to hear what he might come up with, as her expression displayed rather clearly.
belonging to the night
175 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Astronomer
The word euphoric ran with a curious kind of truth in and of itself, dwelling deep in his heart and giving it a kind of intense weight. It didn't make him feel heavier or bogged down, though — it just made him feel as if something abstract dwelled within his chest and it was big and real and ever-growing. Did he question it? No. What Noctura and Asterr had was, in his mind, perfect, and he did not want to think about their friendship in a manner that might change it. It was rare to find something flawless. He was reminded, once again, of the Northern Lights.

When the girl asked her question, Noctura knew that she was so honest and (albeit composedly) expressive that he could ask most anything and she would answer. What did he wish to know? Oh everything. Her thoughts, her feelings, her inner musings. But as they paused in step, the sweetest silence falling for a few thoughtful seconds as they stood beneath the canopy and — above that — a blanket of sky that had swiftly become dark, only one question was voiced: what is your favourite star?
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
It was true that she'd answer nearly anything, if only because the question would have come from him. She wished not to keep anything from the man, but for why she was not certain. It was something she did not question, either, accepting it for what it was and carrying on from there. It'd do no good to question herself, of all beings, and she'd certainly never question him. He had quickly become one of her most trusted and loyal tribe members, and so for that, she would accept anything that arose whilst in his presence. Whether it be something so abstract that not a single word could be placed upon it, it did not matter. As long as Noctura was involved, she was well and at peace, feeling as if she could move through life as if on but a gentle breeze.

The question presented was one she'd not been expecting but, even still, needed little time to answer. "Draco." The name had rolled off her tongue with practiced ease, for the name had been apart of her life long before she'd even been conceived. He was a constellation, but also a mighty dragon, and he dwelled within her very being. Of all the stars that dotted the night skies, he would forever remain her favourite. With such thoughts, however, came her own curiosity. Moments after, she'd returned to him his own questions, asking, "Do you have a favourite as well?"
belonging to the night
175 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Astronomer
The evening had spawned above them as if to follow their conversation. Right now they could see it through gaps in the canopy, and although true darkness had not yet fallen, the navy was deep enough to present the stars like fireflies dancing over dark water. Of course, he replied with the faintest smile of realisation as Asterr gave an answer he should have guessed. He looked to the north and caught a glimpse of some of the stars within her favoured constellation. The dragon.

I admit I've recently developed affection for Draco too, he said softly, regal head pointed skywards as they walked slowly onwards. So many constellations mean something to me, and I find them moving, but I have often spotted Libra in my travels. The celestial phenomenon meaning balance, which is how it should be. Late last year I even saw the Sun herself join the constellation of Libra.
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
These two are adorable, hehe~

Never could she recall a single time in which she'd not favoured the dragon of the sky, for their existences were intertwined. She could never be upset with him, she could never claim another as being her favourite—there had only ever been Draco. As of late, however, things were changing. While the mighty beast remained her favourite, there was a close second in his midst. One of which he actually approved of, or so was what she'd concluded based upon her desire to be near to him whenever possible. It was Noctura, of course, for within him she could see a mighty presence, along with the soft nature she knew him to possess. Driven by instincts or not, she felt she knew the true him, and such was the being she'd unknowingly grown quite attached to.

When he'd mentioned having grown fond of Draco, too, she'd felt her heart flutter. It was an unusual sensation, and something that was entirely foreign to her. Still, no traces of her uncertainty were permitted upon her face, for she'd wished not to ruin their conversation by wondering aloud what it was that had caused such a thing. Instead, she'd focused upon her companion, eager to forget the feeling had ever been there. "I will admit that I know little of the stars and constellations," she'd voiced, speaking only after he'd finished his response. "Would you mind telling me more about them each night? I wish to learn of their meanings, just as I have learned of Libra's." Anything concerning dragons had been taught to her, as had everything relating to Draco in particular. The rest of the stars that filled the sky each night, however, remained unknown to her. They'd never been apart of her lessons, save for some insight as to how one might use Polaris to navigate during their travels.
belonging to the night
175 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Astronomer
Eeee~

He was not sure when, but it seemed they had come to a halt, perhaps because they'd found a place where the canopy opened up above them and displayed the evening sky for their thoughtful considerations. This area of Sunbeam reminded him so much of Thunder Dome's great interior, and from down here the sky looked even higher. In moments like this, it seemed as though the whole world was perpetually bathed in star-strewn darkness, all for a life of sky-gazing.

These two sky-gazers regarded each other, but they may as well have been looking at the stars still — such was the bright silver of their eyes. It would be my honour, he replied, eyes unmoving from hers. To think they might spend time together each evening... Noctura had never dared hope for such a schedule of good-fortune. My only fear is that I might run out of constellations to show you. There were a million stars in the sky. But if each star symbolised one evening with Asterr, a million was not enough.
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Wanna wrap this up soon and maybe start a more recent one? ^^

Gleeful she had been upon hearing his words, for the proposition presented was easily accepted. It was she that should be honoured, or so was her belief. Once again, for perhaps the thousandth time in her short life, Asterr was to become the disciple. She did not mind that, especially when reminded that it would be Noctura teaching her. Each evening, when the stars came out to play, she would be with him. For each constellation that the night's sky housed, they would be at one another's side, gazing up at the images living above them and silently living the stories that came with each and every star. The thought alone was almost seductive, luring the yearling in quicker than anything before it ever had. To spend so many nights with the man that often claimed her thoughts was something she would never get over.

Like chimes that'd been kissed by the summer's first breeze, she'd tittered, charmed by his statement. "I do not believe that you ever will," she'd returned, assuring him that their time spent together would not be short-lived. "The stars will never run out of stories to share." For each night they'd do their dance across the Stygian sky, keeping the moon company as their tales were spun anew with each descent into darkness.
belonging to the night
175 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Astronomer
Yes please, fine to fade! I'll start us a new one~ ^__^

Her words provoked a blink from the male that seemed almost sleepy, for his reaction to her was so docile and peaceful. Sweet girl, he wanted to call her (and it was on the tip of his tongue), but such endearment would perhaps sound disrespectful no matter his intentions, and even then it was inappropriate. Noctura's warm feelings for her were such that he could melt where he stood, but he remained in place, tall and physically stoic, though he smiled and knew her words to be true.
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Words were no longer needed in that moment, as they could understand one another even in the night's silence. His expression brought to her a warm feeling, one that seemed to intertwine itself with her heart. In that moment, she was ever so glad, not only for the agreement they'd made but for the very fact that they stood in one another's company. The cause behind her feelings was unknown to her, still, but with each second they found themselves in, she could feel it growing. It was not fought against, but embraced, both by her and the dragon within. The serenity they could find in one another was approved by the ethereal creatures, which was all she'd ever needed to be sure that they were a wondrous pair.

For the rest of the night, she'd remained there with him, gazing up at the stars and relaxing in the comfortable silence they'd made for themselves. In the morning, she'd part from his side in order to attend to her duties, but until then she would not leave him for even a moment. In him, she'd found a lively soul, and with him, she'd discovered her heart.