Sunbeam Lair And miles to go before I sleep
Though she be but little, she is fierce.
44 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
Joining 
It had been seven long days since she had left her northern home. Seven days since she had seen her parents' bloodied bodies on the ground, two of many casualties in her pack's civil war. She had gone doggedly on, through spring snowfalls and sunny days, her pace slowing as she grew more tired and more hungry.

As Qamar had entered the place they called the Teekon Wilds, she wondered if she had made a huge mistake. This land was barren, ravaged by some plague of insects. She saw live locusts occasionally buzzing on the ground; she did not hesitate to chow down on the dead ones. They tasted nothing like the tang of fresh-killed moose, and were little comfort to her aching stomach, but they were better than nothing.

Trotting wearily through the taiga, she had seen up ahead a great mountain range lit in gold by the rising and setting sun, dominating the landscape below. Something deep within told her to go there, for the mountains seemed her destiny. On she went, eating locusts and small mammals, her lean frame spent from the journey. She encountered other wolves along the way, but paid them no mind, her determination to reach the crags outweighing everything else.

After meandering through the mountain foothills, she came across a cavern that smelled strongly of wolves. It seemed warm and spacious, and Qamar longed to go in and lay her head down to sleep, but she kept courteous, staying outside and waiting to encounter one who lived here.

"Is anyone around?" Qamar asked, her tired voice coming off weak and tinny. She hated the sound of it. "Is there a pack here?"
A dragon will never bow down
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
The swarms had come and gone, leaving behind the destruction of Teekon in their wake. The plant life had been reduced to nothing but broken twigs and barren branches, nothing that produced any waves of life detectable. Within crevices and smashed beneath rocks were the herbs she and her tribe had worked so hard to collect, but many of them had also fallen victim to the tiny chompers of the insects. Those that hadn't had been dried out and properly stored away, any locusts caught nearing their private space squashed or eaten. In some cases, the lingering pests still managed to reach the herbal caches and gnaw at the remains, but few seem interested in eating that which had already died—those picky, inconsiderate assholes. Nevertheless, the chieftess was not deterred, believing still that she and her followers would survive the hell that they'd been cast into. Their loyalty to one another would, surely, heighten their chances, for none would be assumed to have started hoarding meals for themselves.

It was along one of the small streams that she'd found herself wandering, eyeing the slow current and catching glimpses of the fish within it. She'd considered trying her luck at catching one, but was unfamiliar with the task. On the bank the girl had stationed herself, gazing down into the rippling water, until something drew to it her attention. It was but a whisper by the time it'd reached her, the caverns walls having reduced the echo to nearly nothing. Yet, still she'd managed to catch it, and towards the entrance of her home she'd gone. Her pace was even and not at all rushed, for she viewed no harm in testing the patience of visitors every now and again. Even when she'd spotted an unfamiliar being in the distance, her footfalls were not quickened, but upon the female did her silver eyes linger. Never did she look away, even after having grown close enough to speak. The only change following her arrival was that she'd started to observe the other, gazing upon her body and scanning it in silent consideration. After all, while she enjoyed the feeling that came with helping others, the present was not the time for her take in and nurse back to health someone that had been injured.

When the dragoness had decided then to speak, she'd looked to meet the woman’s gaze, offering a slight smile in greeting. "To some, perhaps, though here we are known as a tribe," the girl stated, answering one question verbally, while the other had since been responded to with her arrival there. "What might be your reasoning for seeking an audience with us?" The first thought could not always be the assumed truth, and so each time she asked, and each time she let their visitors disclose the cause behind their presence.
You're a mirror with two faces
Two sides, simple as that
Thread titles are from Hyuna’s “How’s This”
44 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
"Tribe." The word was unusual, foreign on her tongue, but Qamar quite liked the sound of it.

Qamar took in the appearance of this newcomer. She was ethereally beautiful, with fur black as the velvet night sky with eyes like silver stars. Even though the female was only slighter bigger than she, the stranger carried an air of authority that made Qamar feel almost ineffectual in her presence. Nevertheless, she bowed her head in greeting to the black wolf and opened her mouth to speak again.

"I come from the far north. My parents were alpha wolves of a large pack there. They were killed by my uncle in a coup. I have no one."

No one. The phrase rang hollow in the still air, giving her the usual pang of her current reality. She had no one. . .but that could change.

"I wish to join your. . .tribe. I have experience in tracking and hunting. I could be of use to you." Qamar watched the ebony-furred female closely, trying to gauge her reaction. "That is, if you'll have me, of course."
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
For many, she'd come to realize, the concept of tribes over packs was something entirely new. While both served the same purpose, more or less, Asterr would always feel as if tribes produced more familial bonds than a pack ever could—granted, never before had she served under the leader of a pack, but her views were ones that were unlikely to change either way. Expanding upon a family, building from one individual and watching the entire lot evolve with time, was something she was used to, and disinterested in abandoning. More often than not, she could understand strangers' lack of knowledge regarding the system she was so accustomed to, and so would often feel it to be her responsibility to teach them of it. Though words regarding such matters would surely come later, given, of course, that the outsider turned out to be a right fit for a life within the lair.

Directly into things the conversation had moved, a synopsis of her past being shared. It was shocking, to say the least, that one family member could bring an end to the life of another. It was due to stories of such events taking place that she felt most fortunate for having been born into a tribe, for never would someone from a tribe betray their family in such a heinous way. Those who conspired to do so had, in the past, been banished, their presence never to be welcomed back. Even in death, they were not to be granted access into the dragon's kingdom, for dishonoured were they in life, and forgotten were they in death. "You have my sincerest condolences," the yearling voiced, gentle with her speech. "To lose one's parents is an awful thing, but to lose them at the teeth of another family member is... something I cannot fathom." It wasn't right, and never would she understand what might have driven the female's uncle to commit a crime so vile. Perhaps the lust for power had driven him, but even still, she could imagine naught a single soul turning on and harming—let alone killing—someone of the same blood.

From the brief tale of her past, she'd gone on then to share with the chieftess her potential use. Prior to the land having been stripped clean, she would have requested a demonstration of the other's skills. With the land so bare and much of the prey having become scarce, however, she'd decided against it. They could not afford to let what few resources remained be driven out of their burrows indefinitely, or hunted to the point in which they were unlikely to return at all. Moderation was necessary, and asking the skills be shown would unbalance the newly established scales. Thus, rather than doing as she previously would have, Asterr asked, "How might you be with fishing?" Fish would, without a doubt, have to make up a great deal of their diets in the weeks to come, and so having those around with the ability to capture the slippery creatures would prove to be quite useful. "May I also learn your name? My own is Asterr Draconid," she'd added shortly after, rightfully curious. Names held power behind them, and so without one being given she felt as if she would be offered no true look into the life of the stranger.
44 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
Qamar felt abashed as the black wolf asked her for her name. "Always introduce yourself before others have to ask," her mother had always said. "It's just good manners."

"My name is Qamar," she answered, lowering her head and tail in respect to Asterr Draconid. "Just Qamar. And my thanks for your condolences. It means a great deal to hear kind words in these trying times."

After introducing herself, her mind went to the other question Asterr had asked her. "I am adequate at fishing, yes," Qamar said, hoping her voice sounded more confident than she felt. "We lived near a great river in the north. Father taught me how to be patient in hunting those water creatures."

Qamar had crossed many rivers and streams in the Teekon Wilds, and they all teemed with life, compared to the barren wastelands of the dry land, ravaged by the plague. Despite her skill with the fish, she hadn't been able to catch one here, her senses dulled by fatigue. Maybe, after a good sleep, Qamar could give it another shot.

She hoped this Asterr Draconid liked what she saw in Qamar. The black wolf seemed kind enough, but Qamar seemed to be hedging her bets on whether or not she would be admitted into this tribe.

"What is your tribe called? And how many of you are here?"
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Qamar. An interesting name, truly. It sounded quite pleasant, being another name she'd never heard before. Teekon was certainly full of such names, though she was slowly growing accustomed to names previously unheard of. Though, rather than repeating it back to her, the chieftess simply nodded. The name would be left to tumble around within her mind throughout the rest of their conversation, repeating slowly so that she might lower her chances of butchering it later on. It was neither the first nor last time she would have to take such precautions, for names were one thing she felt to demand the most attention when one spoke them. There was power to each given name, a history that had been with the individual since their birth, possibly even long before. She would not dishonour that.

The response to her query was one she'd been unable to predict, for looking a being over could not reveal their history with the creatures of the water. Yet, when the answer was revealed, she felt relieved, as it was that answer she'd been secretly desiring. Of course, even if the answer had been different, she would have continued with the interview anyways. "I am glad to hear that," she'd stated. "The ability to fish will be necessary until our plants return." As if that hadn't been obvious enough already. Rabbits, birds, rodents, and other small game still lingered, but the herds had gone, and without them they'd have a difficult time. Even for someone with a stature as small as the dragoness', larger game was still necessary, and so she was reluctant to begin imagining how those like Noctura and Jolon might fare. Perhaps, though, they would not suffer as much as predicted if they used what sources they did have. "Have you any interest in teaching others the art of catching fish?" If not, they would manage either way, but having everyone be given an equal chance felt far more appropriate.

There came then the moment in which the young leader was meant to begin answering questions. She did not mind them too much, though the latter was deserving of a vague answer for the time being. "Ryūjin." It was a land of dragons, of magic and loyalties as strong as any family—perhaps even stronger. "We are moderate in size, but our strength is limitless." While she was not the type to boast, she felt her words to be true. Much had happened, but never did they falter. They remained united, allowing for nothing to destroy them. It was their loyalty to one another that prompted such a strong sense of survival, for no one wished to leave the others behind. Those that remained from the very start of things were there to stay, she was sure of it.
44 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
"I'll do anything you need of me." She toed the fine line between helpfulness and desperation, keeping her eyes fixed on Asterr's thin black face. "I can teach fishing lessons."

Moderate in size but limitless strength, eh? Sounded like a good deal to Qamar. Ryūjin. The name was as foreign to her as the lands she had entered, but it rang sweet bells in her mind, as if she were meant to stumble upon this tribe.

"I have no more questions for you, Asterr Draconid, except this last one," Qamar said softly, bowing her head. "Can I be of use to you and your tribe?"

The question hung precariously in the still air, and Qamar held her breath, waiting for the other wolf's response.
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
The offer of doing anything necessary was a curious one. Perhaps any other would have tested the words, but Asterr accepted them for what they were. She cared not for how desperate one might sound, for she could understand the allure of a tribe. She could understand why others spoke the way they did, as well as why they'd offer many things in order to secure for themselves a home. Together, they were stronger, and the lonesome lifestyle satisfied few. Everyone needed someone, and she wondered if the lair might provide those someones for the outsider. Certainly was she on a good roll, earning the yearlings favour upon her agreement to teaching fishing lessons being given, but that was not the deciding factor. Never could it be, not for the Draconid, as her home's values demanded far more than skills alone.

From Qamar's end there came but one, final question: would she be of any use? Truthfully, yes, but those words were not spoken. "My answer to that depends upon your answer to my final inquiry," the chieftess returned. "Can you give to us your loyalty? Both to the tribe as a whole and myself as an individual, will you offer us your full devotion?" Those that'd come before her had each been asked the same thing. Everyone, no matter who they were, had been requested to pledge their allegiance to the tribe. Those that were able to offer so much of themselves had been welcomed and tested over time, while those incapable had been sent away. Such was the way of the dragon, even during the trying times they'd recently been met with.
44 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
She took in Asterr's query with interest. Her father had asked many a lone wolf a similar question, telling her later that he could weed out the liars by the look in their eyes when they swore the oath. A pity that he hadn't been able to do so for his own brother.

"I value loyalty above anything else," said Qamar. "I pledge to you, and to the tribe, my devotion.

"This is my home now. These mountains are where my soul resides. And, with your blessing, Ryūjin will become my new family. I will serve you all with everything I have."

A certain warmth, a glow of happiness, spread through her as she said the words. This could be my new home, she thought, lifting her eyes briefly skyward to the crags above before returning her gaze to Asterr.
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Welcome to the land of the dragons~! I added you to the ranks, and look forward to having future threads with you. ^^ You can go ahead and archive after your next post < 3

The length of one's oath had yet to correspond with how likely they were to remain within the tribe, but as she heard the woman's claim, she believed that the other would linger with them, still, far into the future. For those that valued loyalty, it was difficult to break away from any cause that had earned their devotion; such was the way in which Asterr felt, as well as how she believed Qamar to feel. The world had not been kind to her in the past, but everything since her parents' deaths had lead to her being there before the chieftess in that very moment, awaiting for any sign of confirmation. Everything in the world, however horrid it might have been, lead to something more. Within one's life, each event was linked in some way, like a growing web made of unbreakable fibers. For the present, and the future, the yearling wished to offer to the other female a joyous section for her story.

"I do hope that you will honour your word, for I may offer a second chance if you ever betray it, but never a third," she'd stated. "On this day, you have impressed me with your skills and values alike, and so I welcome you, Qamar, into Ryūjin. May this lair serve as your home, and its inhabitants as your family." Forward the girl then walked, drawing nearer to the newest member's shoulder and then touching her muzzle to it. The connection was gentle and brief, lasting naught more than a second or two, before she'd pulled away. "These are troubling times, as I am sure you are aware, but I am certain that you will fit in well here." With a smile, she'd turned away, motioning for the other to follow her as she'd returned to the protection of the cavern. A new chapter had been added to each of their lives, a new thread meant to be interlocked with the entirety of their webs.
44 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
Yay! Thanks <3 This will be fun.

A rush of gratitude washed over her at Asterr's words, and her mouth stretched in a rare smile as the leader touched her muzzle to Qamar's shoulder.

"Thank you, Asterr," she said sincerely, closing her eyes. It was the first real contact with any wolf since she had left her old home. "I'm very happy to be a part of your tribe."

She followed the black female into the cavern, eyes fixed on her retreat--after all, Qamar really didn't know where she was placing her paws in here. As she descended into darkness, she began to plot out the next couple of days.

I need to explore more of this land, and try my hand at fishing in these waters. Her eyelids drooped slightly as she stifled a yawn. But first, sleep. A lovely sleep in a warm place. Sleep. Sleep. . .

Qamar tripped over herself as she began to drift away with her thoughts, and she bemusedly shook her head at her clumsiness. Her eyes took in the cavern, and ahead, she smelled other wolves.

Home. She was home.