Stone Circle I hope you dance
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Read Only 
With things seemingly settling down at Easthollow, Steady took the opportunity to seek out Adeline. His daughter hadn't been sleeping in a den, he knew, and didn't seem to socialize very much with the rest of the pack. He feared that when she left the den, she might have felt he pushed her out of the family, too. She seemed happy enough when she visited the den sight, but there was still something "off" and Steady wanted to address it. He tracked her to the river, finding her lying in the snowless spot on the bank. Adeline, he greeted her, bumping his nose against her neck as he laid down beside her. Whatcha doin? he asked, not really allowing the opportunity for her to say she wanted her space. He felt she had enough of it lately.

Adeline didn't mind the company, for sure, though it was rare she sought it out these days. When Steady appeared, her tail wagged, and she gave him a smile. Hey, Dad. Just hanging out. What's up? she asked, wondering if he had a purpose in mind for this visit. She hadn't realized anyone had noticed her gradual absence. Since leaving her Dad's den, Adeline hadn't felt quite the same. 

Steady was glad he was greeted positively. Just wondering what's up. I haven't seen you around much lately, he admitted. You know you're welcome in the den whenever, he pointed out, in case it needed being said. He worried about her sleeping all alone when winter was in full blast. She looked healthy enough, but even healthy wolves could, and did, freeze to death in weather like this. 

Adeline could tell when her Dad was on a mission, and it was now. He pointed out that she hadn't been around much, and the young wolf shrugged, trying to find the words. She wasn't one to simply brush off the big things, and she was beginning to realize this was a big thing. I guess... she began, then stopped. You know I love you, right? she said, looking to him. When he nodded, she continued. But I just feel like... I need to go find myself. Out there. It was a hard thing to admit to the only wolf who had been there her entire life. She knew Steady had sacrificed so much for her, and now she was saying she wanted to leave. 

Steady hadn't expected the words, but nor was he extremely surprised by them. He frowned, not feigning ignorance of what she was saying. He was only a few months older than she when he left his home pack. Though, he had a destination in mind when he left: Silvertip Mountain. Where would you go? he asked. Did she know? He would never keep her here against her will, but it would give him some comfort if she had a plan. 

She shrugged. I'm not sure. I've never really been out of the territory, so I don't know exactly where I want to go, she admitted. She felt like she sounded like a child that just wanted to wander around aimlessly just to say she left the family pack. But, it wasn't that. She felt lost inside, and she knew she needed to go find herself. Where, exactly, she would find herself, she didn't know. 

His fear had come true: She had no idea where she wanted to go. Well, I don't think it's a good idea to just go without some sort of destination in mind, he said. He thought a few moments, before continuing. What about going to Wisconsin, to my home pack? They'd welcome you, just tell them who you are. It's a trek, and I'm sure there'd be some adventures on the way, and... Well, I would have the comfort of mind of knowing about where you are. It was a little selfish of him, to ask her to choose a place. But, if he was going to be okay with her going off on her own, he felt he had a right to be a little selfish.

She thought he would fight her, ask her to stay, tell her she's just being a kid. But, he didn't. He suggested a place, instead, and she perked her ears, looking thoughtful. I suppose I could head that way, she conceded. Who knew what she would find on the way, and what sort of life might be waiting for her there. She was suddenly nervous about going, but not nearly enough to back out. In fact, I want to leave soon. 

Now, that was a surprise. Winter has just started, and it's only going to get worse, he pointed out. As rough as this winter would be for a pack, it'd be even more rough if Adeline was out on her own. I think you should at least wait until spring. Surely, she would see the logic in that?

But, Adeline's heart was already gone. It had left weeks ago, and now it was her body that needed to catch up. I know, she said. But, I don't want to wait that long. I need to go, she said softly. She reached her nose out to bury it in the thick fur of his neck. I'll come back, Dad. I promise. She knew he would worry about her, whether it was winter or not. But, Adeline was not one to break her promises. She would return. Standing, she gave him a kiss upon his check. I'll leave at the next calm weather. Tell Nikai and Keoni I'll miss them? But, I'll miss you most of all. She hoped the two youngest members of Easthollow would keep Steady's attention enough that he didn't worry too much about her. She turned to walk off. In a couple days, she would leave with the sunrise, a departing howl her only farewell. For she would not say goodbye.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~
Feel free to tag Steady if needed. Unless otherwise asked, all threads are AW.