Ghost
he came and stole the wild
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Private 
ヽ(;▽;)ノ @Cypress

The winter had been long, but, finally, it seemed as though the world was melting around the eldest Frostfur as the earth made way for Spring. In turn, it also felt as though Rannoch was emerging from a frozen state as well. Having spent the last four months in solitude, Rannoch had spent a lot of time with himself. There had been good days for him; there had been okay days, but, mostly, the youth had found himself enveloped within a series considerably bad days. These days, which had been mostly within the first month of his solo expedition, as he wallowed in his self-pity. Feeling utterly alone in the world, he holed himself up in an abounded den that overlooked the sea and contemplated his very existence. It was within these spurts of thoughts where Rannoch Tiberous Frostfur began to heal. 

His healing was slow in the beginning as he quarreled with his inner-most demons. But, in time, such thoughts began to lift. Little by little he began chipping away at all that brought him down. He began with Blackrock Depths and allowing himself to get captured; the down spiral in which he was convinced that killed his parents. It was when this self-apology came that he started to venture from his sea-side home to track the nomad herds that settled in the territory around him. He became intrigued by the deer, drawn to their numbers by both hunger and curiosity. Though he was not skilled enough or bore no experience, Rannoch attempted to keep tabs on the herds. This helped a remarkable amount in his healing and lead to the next topic that needed forgiving: Lucy

The blue-eyed pup had fallen for the girl quickly and risked everything he loved dearly just to be with her. He pushed away Cypress, a whole other spectrum of his suffering, his parents, his pack-- he felt as such could not be forgiven. But in time, forgiving himself began easier, and he was starting to feel like his old self-- not the shell of himself that he had been for so long. 

When everything in regards to the blue-eyed girl had been forgiven and suppressed, Rannoch knew he had one last, and perhaps the hardest, hurdle to overcome: Cypress. The thought of his brother followed him like a dark shadow, stalking his every move and despite his newfound happiness he still found sadness at the thought of his raven-pelted sibling. Eventually, as days slipped by, Rannoch came to the conclusion that he would only forgive himself about what happened with Cypress if he sought out his brother and did it in person. 

So, with that, as the ice began to melt, Rannoch headed southward towards the forest he once called home. 

Being back in the Teekons was jarring to the seven-month old, yet, he pressed on. In an effort to avoid the Leviathan's reign, he tracked inland and wandered to the best of his ability to track down his former home. After was seemed like ages of clueless wandering, the mighty evergreens of the forest stood on the horizon and he paused at a considerable distance. This would be the first time that Rannoch saw the forest without his parents reign. This would be the first time that he would have to truly face their deaths in seeing the aftermath of all that had happened. 

He felt a sobering pain grip at his heart as he watched on for quite some time, attempting to assure himself that he could approach the forest. He wrangled his inner fear in an attempt to come over it triumphly, and yet, he couldn't bring himself to do it. Instead, as he sat alongside a hot spring, he lifted his call to the sky, beckoning for his brother. There was sadness in his voice, yet, somehow there was still a brim of hope hidden within.
a crime so old as the sky and bone
he came untied, solid as a stone
all is almost lost and it starts to show
288 Posts
Ooc — KJ
That was a beautiful post, Chan. ♥
I’m rushing this one before work, so I apologize for the cruddy quality!

In his own way, Cypress too had begun to heal.

The tattered raven’s transformation was not as profound as his littermate’s; he was still very much a specter, given to skulking around the outskirts of the forest he no longer felt welcome in. Much of his time was spent in the Eastmire, where Ondine had bested him despite his best efforts, but he had begun to emerge from his self-imposed isolation and socialize with his cousins — unenthusiastically at first, but now with a distant sense of pleasure and comfort. He wasn’t in the habit of visiting the field where his parents had been found several hours after their last moments, but that’s where he went today.

The expression on Cypress’ face was grim as he traipsed the all-too-familiar territory; it upset him that he couldn’t remember where they’d lain. His broad paws felt rooted to the spot, but when a low, sonorous cry struck the air in tones that could not be real, they snapped into motion. His body worked independently of his mind as he moved toward the call, for all the cogs and wheels in his brain had ground to a jarring halt at Rannoch’s voice. Dumbfounded, he broke through the bracken to regard the wolf he’d never thought he’d see again, turquoise eyes and all. Tall, sharp ears set high and close together pushed forward upon Cypress’ skull as he marked the differences between them the way he’d always done: his shoulders and hips, though not jutting quite so prominently from beneath his wild, unkempt pelage, were still a stark contrast to Rannoch’s thick, corded musculature; Rannoch was broader, but they were of similar height now.

“Noch? Noch, I’m sorry — please don’t leave me this time — I do love you, Noch, I do — ”

His tongue felt thick and wooden in his scarred mouth as he regarded the wolf he had so much to say to, and he found that none of those words were enough. “Noch,” he said in a quiet baritenor several shades deeper and darker than his childhood trill, a weird sense of calm overriding the wild tumult and endless ache that drummed within his breast. “You came back.” Beneath the almost robotic way he spoke the words, a stirring of hope churned; it warmed each syllable from within, melting away the metallic sheen, and although his tail did not wag and his lips did not curve into a smile, something about the cracked and rusted gargoyle seemed to soften.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch was straddled between the moment that would connect his present mindset to his previous relationship. He had come to this place in his timeline with confidence, going as far to even venture through the lands that harbored such awful memories for him. But, now that the moment was here, Rannoch was scared. He feared for Cypress and for what his raven-haired sibling would say, feared for rejection in light of their previously exchanged words. Despite this, Rannoch Tiberous Frostfur stood tall with his eyes towards the horizon, waiting for the very being that he had traveled so far for. 

An inkblot surfaced suddenly, catching Rannoch's attention almost instantly. Feeling a majority of his innards dropping all at once, the child did his best to focus on the task at hand: apologizing. He felt a lump form in his throat as his darker sibling grew nearer and it was in his obvious observation that he realized just how much time they had spent apart. Cypress looked older, even from afar. His body had grown in ways that even rivaled Rannoch's height and such realization of the time passed would occur when Rannoch heard his sibling speak. 

As the lantern-eyed boy stood before him, Rannoch felt a rush of emotions overcome him. He felt his knees began to quiver in the wake of such feelings and Rannoch did his best to ignore it. Instead, he focused on his sibling and studied his face intensely, as if attempting to make up lost time and catching all that had he had missed. His ears fell in light of a sudden wave of self-consciousness, yet, he did not let this deter him. 

"Yes," he began, his eyes falling momentarily to his pale paws. He paused, a frown lining his dark lips as he returned his eyes to his brother. "To apologize." Despite what he felt, his voice remained strong. "Cy, I'm sorry for what I said. It wasn't fair." Though the brothers had been unkind to eachother that day when Rannoch had brashly decided to leave. But, despite this, he could not fault Cypress for how he felt.
288 Posts
Ooc — KJ
For a prolonged moment, Cypress was silent, digesting the changes in his brother and — more poignantly — the changes in himself. He wasn’t angry anymore. The gnawing guilt remained and would likely always be part of him, but he didn’t harbor any resentment toward his brother or jealousy regarding the turquoise-eyed male’s former affinity with their erstwhile companion. Licking his lips, he endured his brother’s gaze with a mixture of compassion and regret. “Wasn’t nothin’, Noch,” he absolved his littermate quietly, a tinge of their mother’s accent softening the hard consonants. “I don’t think anything back then was fair.” Back then. A sudden grin, rare and ephemeral, played about the rightmost corner of Cypress mouth and was gone. “I do love you,” he said frankly. “That was the one thing — I wish I’d yelled it or chased you down to tell you. I was so worried — ” His voice broke in an embarrassing way.

“I was worried because I was just thinking…I couldn’t remember the last thing I said to mama or paw, and I didn’t want the last thing we said to be something bad.” Regaining his composure, “I learned that cowards come in all shapes and sizes,” he admitted ruefully. “Maybe some of them run away,” his eyes flicked without malice toward his brother, “but others…they just stay in one place because they’re too afraid to move.” Cypress swallowed hard as his sulphureous eyes met Rannoch’s for the first time in months; with quiet strength he maintained his lantern yellow stare, for an entirely different reason than he had with Ondine. “I missed you every day,” he intoned, his breath uneven and a little shaky. “Maybe you can’t trust that, but it’s the truth. You’re my brother, Noch.”
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Over time Rannoch's emotions towards Cypress had grown, forming a protective wall around his heart to save him from this moment. In his solitude, his imagination had run rampant as he thought of the possible scenarios for this very moment. But, it seemed, as if those thoughts had been for nothing. Feeling the buildup of the previous months crumble in his chest, the eldest of the duo listened to what his shadow-pelted brother replied to the apology. His features softened, and a sudden wave of emotion overcame him, consuming him momentarily as Cypress. Somehow, Rannoch surface from this, tuning into the conversation again as promptly as he had gone out of it. 

His tail swayed, and hs eyes softened considerably as Cypress' words rejuvenated the damaged depths of his heart, giving his a breath of life that he had not felt in quite some time. Without another word, Rannoch rushed forwards and pulled his neck onto of his sibling's nape, whining softly while pulling his sibling into a wolfish hug. Breathing deeply into the comforts of his brother's pelt, Rannoch smiled. 

"I love you so much, Cy," he replied breathily, his reply riding on the wind of a satisfied exhale.
288 Posts
Ooc — KJ
When Rannoch rushed him, engulfing him in a wolfish hug that tore the breath from his lungs, Cypress squeezed shut his eyes and clung with renewed fierceness to his littermate. Alya’s warmth and Rian’s companionship had caused some of the weight upon the raven’s bruised and bloodied wings to melt away, and Rannoch’s scent in his nose and fur in his mouth and palpable, corporeal weight across his shoulders threw the rest of it aside. For the first time in a long time, Cypress felt light. “I love you, too,” he replied shakily. “I never stopped.” Swallowing hard, he drew several deep, cleansing breaths spiced with his brother’s scent and let them out on low, huffing sighs as he snuffled through the dark slate at Rannoch’s neck and shoulders. “Hey,” he murmured without altering his position, “where’d you go, anyway?”

Something dawned on Cypress. “There’s a lot you missed,” he said without rancor, “but I want to hear about the things you saw and did before I get into it.” First and foremost was the idea Rian had planted in Cypress’ psyche a few short weeks ago — the plan to go off on their own and see more of the world. “Following our hearts and finding where we really belong,” had been the O’Malley boy’s passionate declaration, and now that Rannoch was home at last and Ondine was firmly at Neverwinter’s helm, Cypress couldn’t see any reason to put it off. Kjalarr, he felt, would understand that Torgeir needed more than his parents’ sepulcher. He would be sorry to leave the berserker, but he knew now that he had to. It wasn’t necessarily what he wanted — he still didn’t quite know what he wanted — but it was what he needed.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Though the delivery of the return of affection was shaky, Rannoch did not take this to heart. Instead, he happily listened, all too absorbed in the sheer happiness that this moment. It had been far too long since the ocean-eyed youth had felt this way he embraced it openly, allowing it to overcome him until Cypress spoke again. Her felt a twinge in his heart at the mention of things changing, but he did not voice his concern on the matter. Instead, his mind stayed far away from the evergreens, and towards the lonely shore that Rannoch had called home temporarily. Keeping himself positioned on top of his sibling; he silently recalled his time away from the Teekons. 

"Honestly, I'm not sure," he replied thoughtfully after a pause, a gentle smile gracing his lips. "I was never really that far away, but, I was far enough away that the scents from here were no longer in the air." A pause followed as recalled the overbearing smell of brine that he had grown all too accustomed to. "But, I was alone in a cave near the ocean-- it was the first thing I found and I just kinda.... stayed," He trailed, losing his train of thought as fears of his forested home rose, knowing that this was the topic that followed his answer. He was not ready to hear about all that had changed, and he felt the drumming of his heart intensify as he tightened his embrace of his brother, suddenly feeling a new thought overcome him. In light of his sudden panic, his tail tucked, and his ears flattened as he closed his eyes, and it was as his fear overcame him that he knew he had to let Cypress know that he would not return to Neverwinter Forest. 

"I-I need to tell you something," he began suddenly in an attempt to derail the conversation of how their forest had changed, the lack of confidence in his tone apparent as his demeanour followed suit. "I know you won't like this, but, I just can't go back to Neverwinter," the words struggled in his throat like a horse pill, and despite the lump, he continued. "But, Cy, I need you-- I can't ever lose you again." A whine accompanied these words, stressing his vocal cords in his panic. Would they be able to make this work? Especially when Cypress had been so adamant about staying the last time they had seen each other.
288 Posts
Ooc — KJ
Paging @Rian. Posting order: Rannoch - Rian - Cypress?

Cypress forbore from commenting on Rannoch’s brief telling of his time away; he felt a little silly that he hadn’t just went out searching for his younger brother, but none of that seemed to matter now. His conversation with Rian, blubbering and all, had been at once cathartic and galvanizing, and he was eager to discuss the prospect of leaving Neverwinter Forest with the O’Malley boy. Rannoch’s reluctance to return to the evergreens gave Cypress the segue he needed, and he butted encouragingly at his littermate’s shoulder with the bridge of his muzzle. “You won’t lose me,” he reassured the boy in his quiet baritenor.

After a beat, “I can’t go back to Neverwinter, either,” the raven confessed. “When mama and paw — afterward, I mean, Kjalarr and Aunt Kaskara decided to lead the forest together. I don’t think you met him, but Kjalarr was paw’s adopted son from a long time ago. He used to live on the coast, too.” Warming to his tale, “Eventually Aunt Kaskara stepped down and left the pack completely in Kjalarr’s control, but I felt like that was still okay because he at least knew paw.” A trace of bitterness laced his low timbre, roughening its edges with the undercurrent of a growl. “Noch, I’m sorry, but Allure, she…she disappeared, too. Nobody knows what happened. Nobody can find her. After that, Kjalarr stepped down — I don’t really know why. Maybe he went looking for her.”

He drew a deep breath, but his lips quivered at the corners and twitched into a snarl, the leftmost corner still quirked down in a permanent frown. “When Kjalarr stepped down, his mate stepped up. She never even met our parents. I just — I couldn’t stand the thought of someone else, an outsider, being in mama’s place. Ondine tried to stare me down, but she looked away first — and I wouldn’t submit to her. She tried to make me, so I tried to challenge her, but — well, I lost.”

Cypress blew out a breath that had gone all shaky with adrenaline, drawing his tongue across his jowls. “Awhile before that all happened, I started talking to our cousins again — mostly Rian. He told me we should leave together, and at first I didn’t think I wanted to, but now…if you want to go, Noch, I’m ready now. You, Rian, and I can all go together.” Rannoch’s return solidified Cypress’ decision to leave the sepulcher behind, and for the first time in a very long while he allowed himself to be excited about it. A new fire kindled in his lantern yellow eyes. “I don’t know if Rian talked to his siblings about it yet or if they wanted to go, but,” he threw back his head and called to their cousin in a long, sonorous howl, “guess we’ll find out.”
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Sounds great to me! @Rian is next!

Emotions toyed with Rannoch's heartstrings, causing his panic to feel all the more overwhelming in the short instance that it took Cypress to reply. What seemed like an eternity passed before he felt a nudge on his shoulder and his worries were answered. His plush ears perked atop of his crown at Cypress' remark and he quickly felt relieved. But, despite this, there were still many unanswered questions lingering between them, and Rannoch remained silent as his brother filled him in on what had been happening in Neverwinter Forest since he had left the valley. 

It was an odd tale, to say the least, one that caused his brows to fluctuate in height more times than he could have ever anticipated. The news of Allure cast a frown upon his dark lips, and he closed his eyes for a moment as he allowed his sadness to overtake him suddenly. Despite his sorrow, he did not speak on it, and instead, he listened to the events that followed their sister's departure. With every new leader, it seemed as though their beloved evergreen kingdom was separating the pack from the finding alphas and Rannoch did not like the fact that already, in a matter of months, that their parents were so far removed from the hierarchy. Concern riddled upon his features the further into the recollection of Neverwinter's news. 

Just as there seemed to be no room for a happy ending in his brother's story, news of their cousins came about. He brightened at this, recalling their intertwined history fondly. Cypress' momentum was addicting, and Rannoch felt himself feeding off his brother's energy. In their time apart, and even with different experiences, it seemed as though the brother's had aligned in their desires. Somewhat blind sighted by it all, Rannoch looked to Cypress as he called for their cousin, yet, all he could muster was an exhilarated, "... Really?!" 
the oath
207 Posts
Ooc — Siro
ARRIVES

Coincidentally, Rian was nearby investigating the southern edge of Moonsong Glacier for any signs a residential herd when the familiar voice of Cypress rose above the trees. He stopped dead in his tracks, lifted his head, and cupped his ears to the sound. What he heard was a summons, but his anxiety spiked from the sudden request regardless of how welcome the company of the raven boy was. His eyes narrowed as he scanned his surroundings, and ascertained that the call came from outside of the Forest. There were many assumptions he wanted to make about the situation he might be walking into, but he manged to somehow refrain from allowing them to consume him as he clambered down off the trail and headed off in a sprint towards the fields.

It didn't take him long to find them and what he saw nearly caused him to trip up. Rannoch stood beside Cypress, as hale as the day he vanished, looking quite gobsmacked at something that occured before he arrived. He splayed his ears (despite his budding hormonal desire to dominate the younger males) and timidly stepped into the outer fringes of their conversation. Something about the air was heavy, and he felt it keenly in the racing cadence of his heart. Dumbly, he wanted to blurt Rannoch's name to disrupt the unease growing in his chest, but he knew that's not why he was called here. 

Rian spared a final glance towards Rannoch until he settled his eyes on his swarthy cousin, "What's going on?" He asked smoothly while trying to mask the tremble in his voice.
As ruthless as it all may seem the wild cares not for the weaker beings.
288 Posts
Ooc — KJ
Being vague about things because I don’t actually know what’s going to happen in the Cyndine thread. I’ll edit my posts accordingly when I find out, but Rannoch probably would have said, “REALLY!?” either way, so I’m not too fussed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Also going off the fact that Rian knows about Cypress’ feelings toward Ondine because of this thread but doesn’t know what actually happened yet. ALL MY THREADS ARE OUT OF ORDER. [flings confetti]

Also, this post is ridiculously short and clunky. I am sorry ♥

Buoyed by Rannoch’s serendipitous return, Cypress approached Rian with a spring in his step to mouth affectionately and respectfully at the underside of the older male’s muzzle. “Rannoch came back,” he said, proudly and unnecessarily, turning his head toward the turquoise-eyed wayfarer with something of a flourish. “He’s gonna come with us.” It didn’t occur to him that it might have been more tactful to ask Rian instead of stating it so baldly. Cypress simply assumed that like his other three cousins, Rannoch had an automatic “in”. Instinctively keeping his narrow skull at a level below both Rian’s and Rannoch’s, the eidolon fell silent. It was their turn to get reacquainted; he could tell Rian the story of his embarrassing defeat later. The implicit submission he felt toward his younger littermate and older cousin wasn’t something Cypress actively decided on — he was arriving late to the dominance party the same way he’d arrived late to the physical growth party, but this time he didn’t actually feel like he was missing anything.

More than anything else, he felt calm — and that was a relief in and of itself.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rian was but an earthy smudge on the horizon when Rannoch caught sight of him. As his cousin advanced, Rannoch slowly was revealed more about his swarthy cousin, seeing just how much he had grown since they had last seen each other. It was apparent to Rannoch that much had changed. Rian was a dark smudge across the bleak scenery, sliding ever closer to where the brother's stood. Rannoch, on the other hand, watched on silently in place as he waited for Rian's arrival.

A smile caressed his dark lips out of courtesy of the situation, his tail swaying loftily above his hindquarters as he looked upon Rian. There was something within him that stirred as he observed his relative's positioning, noting Rian's hovering just above the ground. The shifting of Rannoch's body was out of instinct, yet, Rannoch didn't actively notice the changes that his body made. Looking between his brother and cousin, he remained silent as he waited to see what Rian had to say in response to Cypress' words.
the oath
207 Posts
Ooc — Siro
As the topic became known to Rian he felt an unbidden surge of joy that was immediately tainted by an uncontrolled anxiety spike. Leave, now?! He sucked in a trembling breath and his gaze flitted towards Rannoch. A part of him knew it would take something just short of a miracle to get Cypress to commit to the ideas he'd introduced during their last conversation, but he hadn't expected his grayscale cousin to return, especially when it was most convenient for all of them. Rian's gaze lingered on him as he tried to sort through his jumbled thoughts and draw upon some sort of solution, but all he could come up with was that he felt vaguely insulted.

It took him a moment longer to realize Rannoch had (intentionally or not) taken up a dominant stance, and that didn't settle well with Rian. There was no point in squabbling over it now, but he would remember that later. He pursed his lips and straightened his neck a bit before returning his attention to Cypress. The prolongued moment had gone on long enough—too many months had come and gone with no progress. Rian O'Malley was many things, but he was not a coward.

"Yeah," he confirmed softly as his ears quickly switched back, then up again. "if that's still alright."
288 Posts
Ooc — KJ
Cypress was an intelligent young wolf, but he didn’t understand the sudden spike of tension in the air. He felt, somehow, that he had caused it — but whether that inkling was owed to a guilty conscience or the honest truth was unbeknownst to him. “What’s — ” going on? Tall ears flicked forward, flattened, and flicked forward again. Of the three, Cypress alone held himself in a neutral, even submissive posture: his tail waved slowly in a slight downward cant from his hips and his long muzzle was held low as he glanced from his brother to his cousin with an oblique stare. His characteristic pose, that of a mantling raven, with his head slung low from the high crest of his shoulders, was taut with a whisper of unease but not particularly stiff. “Rian,” he said, focusing in on his cousin, “it’s gonna be like you said, right? We belong with you; with whoever else comes with us.” He desperately wanted to belong — and Rian was the first wolf aside from Alya who had made him feel like he could.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
His actions, still not realised to the argent-coated prince, had caused an instant reaction. Rannoch noticed this, somewhat confused by his cousin's actions. There was something about the movement that rubbed the burly boy the wrong way, something that caused his tail to give an irritable flick while standing loftily above his haunches. Despite how he felt he did not want to cause a fuss, especially when they had just reunited. 

"It'll be great," Rannoch promised his brother quietly, not quite believing all that had transpired in such a little amount of time. It was as though he has picked the perfect time to come back and despite the hardships, they all had faced it seemed as though their very different paths had all lead them to the shared goal of setting off together. He smiled, turning to Rian. "It's good to see you, Rain," he offered carefully, realising that he hadn't taken the time to voice this.
the oath
207 Posts
Ooc — Siro
Already Rian felt as if there was the potential for disagreement between himself and Rannoch, though he still couldn't tell if the argent boy was doing it willingly or if instinct bade him to demand such respect. He'd become quite comfortable with his lofty position among Ondine's Neverwinter and, though he didn't agree with everything that had happened, he wasn't about to give up his status so easily. However, Cypress seemed to catch on rather quickly that there was something slightly amiss and it caused Rian to immediately relent, for now. His tail felt to hang casually between his legs and he glanced towards his raven-cloaked cousin with a quick smile as if to say nothing, really.

Rannoch remarked on something that Rian, too, felt deep in his bones. He exhaled and shook his head with that same soft smile echoing across his lips, "You too, Rannoch." He replied, lending another glance towards Cypress and nodding. "Feels good, this. Bit sudden but..." He bit the inside of his cheek. "I should tell my family, at least."
288 Posts
Ooc — KJ
Both Rian and Rannoch seemed keen to gloss over whatever weird static had intercepted the trio’s frequency, and Cypress shared wholeheartedly in that sentiment. “All right,” he said, relaxing, butting the bridge of his muzzle against the chiseled angle of Rian’s lower jaw and leaning close to his gunmetal brother to preen affectionately at a cowlick of argent fur. “D’you want me to come with you, Rian?” he asked solicitously when the subject of “family” came up. Cypress hadn’t mentioned anything to his cousins and couldn’t remember the last time he’d spoken with his aunt, but if it would make things easier on the jade-eyed O’Malley he would push past his comfort zone to offer succor. He realized now that he would have to let go of the Eastmire — let go of everything he knew. “I, uh,” he said, beetling his brow. “I think I’m — ” He worked through the feeling with a typically analytical eye. He wasn’t happy — wasn’t excited —

— what was he?

Stern lips cracked into a lopsided grin that felt like a thickness in his throat, felt like a lump dissolving into tears, felt like laughter and fast running and Alya tucked against him in a winter storm. “Ready,” he decided on. “Guess I’m ready to leave, as long as leavin’ means with you.” His lantern yellow eyes took in Rian and Rannoch in a calm, steady sweep, that uncharacteristically content smile still oddly present.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Despite how quickly this had come across the trio, Rannoch felt as though there was something right about it. When Rian echoed his sentiments, the silver-saddled youth waved his tail, feeling good that the estranged cousins had established some common ground. With the confirmation of their expedition, there came conflict to the earth-furred O'Malley. Looking to his relative with understanding, while leaning into his brother's sweet showcase of affection,  Rannoch nodded as if to acknowledge that he understood. The circumstances were quite different to the former princes of Neverwinter, but, regardless, Rannoch could have pictured him doing the same thing if his parents were alive. 

Cypress was quick to offer company to Rian's task, and Rannoch smiled and sat. "If you guys do that, I'll stick around here," he said, allowing his gaze to flee to the treeline and for a moment he felt sad, knowing that he couldn't bring himself to go with them. "When you guys get back, we'll get going," he elaborated, pulling his eyes to his relatives as he attempted to muster a smile.
the oath
207 Posts
Ooc — Siro
The jilted tone of Cypress' question begged the question: did he want to see his O'Malley cousins off for his own closure, or was it simply an offer made out of support? He didn't want to exclude his raven-cloaked cousin from any farewells, but he also felt as if this was a conversation that would not come without a few painful goodbyes. Rian felt as if his head was full to burst with the potential possibilities, and the aftermath, that could occur in the next few hours—he wasn't really sure he wanted to commit Cypress to anything that could cause him further harm.

But Rannoch cut in, and waved away the sudden fear that gripped him. The earthy boy stole a look towards Cypress, then Rannoch, then to the woods where the meadow of his birth lie somewhere beyond the trees. "I, yeah, if you... if you want, but I don't think this is gonna be an easy conversation." He said softly and swung his muzzle around to bump Cypress' own with a tightness cast across his features. He wasn't going to push him away; Cypress always meant well, and maybe that was part of the problem. He didn't want to tarnish him any further than his shitty life already had, and he tried, desperately, to pass that thought through the intensity of his gaze.

When finally he drew away, he faced the woods and inhaled: "Better or worse, I'll see you guys in a bit." He said, before setting off in the direction of his family's thicket.
288 Posts
Ooc — KJ
Last from me!

Rian intimated that the upcoming conversation might not be “easy” — and Cypress had to fight a jaded urge to bark a bitter laugh. “Nothing is,” bespoke the shift of his lean, angular shoulders, and the gesture might have seemed flippant if it wasn’t for the half-smile that tugged at the right side of his mouth that added, “but we’ll get through it.” Turning to look at his brother, biting his lip, Cypress delayed a moment before catching up with their cousin. “Promise you’ll be here when we get back?” he asked in a low, unsure voice. He’d only just found Rannoch again. Losing him a third time wasn’t an option.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
When the plan had been set, Rannoch bobbed his head in agreement, not vocalizing but rather showcasing that the idea sounded good to him. His attention shifted as Cypress held up the process, voicing his concerns, and Rannoch's ears lowered for a moment in a feat of self-consciousness. Though he knew that his brother was only concerned about not losing him and the metal-furred man could not blame him for his worrying. It had already happened two times too many, but fate was cruel in her intentions and could easily send him away again. But, he'd fight that to the best of his ability. 

"I promise," He said, his ears rising as he pushed forth a smile in an attempt to soothe his dark sibling's fears. This seemed to satisfy Cypress, as he turned towards the looming forest to follow Rian's lead. Rannoch watched them as they went, settling in for the long haul as he took a seat where he was. Despite the discomfort that he felt in being so close to his childhood home, he stood tall; a silent vigilant amongst the grasses of the field. He would linger in the general vicinity until the trio was reunited and, from there, they would begin their journey of a lifetime.