Blacktail Deer Plateau and i won't say it again
101 Posts
Ooc — tweety bird
Private 

Whistling under her breath, Forrest made her way toward the rendezvous. She had just returned from the hot springs and wanted to prepare for an evening of cache maintenance. It brought a hefty chuckle from her throat to think that she'd joined Morningside as a midwife and seemed to work more as a teacher, though she figured duty would call when ready. 

After checking in with Sorrel to see how she had been faring, Forrest made a beeline for the shrub that hid her herbal collection underground and away from the harsh conditions outside.
"Life is a winking light in the darkness."
Hayao Miyazaki
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Lungs sucked. Joints sucked. Noses sucked. Pretty much everything sucked when he was sick, and right then, Grayday was sicker than he'd been in years. At least it wasn't the same sort of pain that had laid him low when he'd been bitten by the snake. He could still function well enough - it was just that functioning sucked.

To raise his flagging spirits, the male had taken a half-frozen rabbit from the cache and chewed it to a pulp. The meat was all gluped down as it thawed, but the bones, fur, and innards were left in a neat pile when he was done. The work made him cough rather pitifully, and as a gift to his poor, sick self, Grayday sniffed at the pile for a moment before flopping over and beginning to roll around in it, irritable whines punctuating each swivel of his body.

When he stood, he felt no better, and smelled markedly worse. The male gave another hacking cough and a sad wheeze before lying atop the fruits of his labor, ears drooping and tail still. He did not look up when he sensed a packmate near, too weary to even check the identity of his company.

"I'm dying," he huffed to the unidentified wolf.
[Image: CYEyvJP.png?4]
What's Mine is Ours
101 Posts
Ooc — tweety bird
The gray brute hadn't even come into Forrest's view before his hoarse voice reached her ears. She smiled and giggled, abandoning her tiny cache to see what all of the fuss was about. From what she could see, there were no clear injuries and the fact that he had enough energy to speak meant that he probably wouldn't be dying anytime soon.

Don't be so dramatic, she scolded in a matronly tone, accompanied with another innocent chuckle, You've probably just got a head cold, silly. She sighed and sat back on her haunches while she looked him over. Now, why don't you tell me what's wrong so we can fix the problem, hm? He was an older male, probably around Forrest's age. With that realization, she did become a bit more focused; older wolves didn't have the same resilience as youngsters.
Hayao Miyazaki
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday's ears flickered at the unfamiliar voice. She smelled like Morningside, so he didn't worry too much, but his feverish mind couldn't recall the name (names?) of the most recent joiner(s?). Part of him wanted to ask who she was, but it didn't seem worth the energy. She was pack. That was enough.

"'s only a cough," he confirmed. He knew he was being dramatic. It didn't bother him to be scolded for it. He'd made a token effort at looking for the proper herbs for this sort of thing, but eventually, the call of rest and cold rabbit had won out. He'd live either way, and it would be better to save the herbs for the kids. "I'm just moping. Nothing wrong with a good mope sometimes."

And better to do it on his own rather than in front of the kids.
What's Mine is Ours
101 Posts
Ooc — tweety bird
Hm. Only a cough, yeah? I know how to fix that. Forrest wondered if there might be any beehives around with enough raw honey inside to help soothe the brute's throat; bees had been known for their haste with cleaning out hives in the winter. Sometimes, she wondered how creatures so tiny could consume so much and over such a short period of time.

No, moping about it unacceptable! Suppose one of the children came meandering by? What would they think of seeing one of their protectors so sad and miserable? Besides, getting up and moving around a bit will help you get over this little cold. Forrest stood back up onto her own fours with a loud pop of her spine and a groan, then motioned for him to follow suit. You can help me find something.
Hayao Miyazaki
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
The sternness of the woman's voice was finally enough to rouse the drousing beast - but not because he was intent on obeying her. Rather, Grayday did not appreciate the tone being taken with him. Pulling himself to his paws, he shot a hard look in the wolf's general direction, unable to pinpoint her exact whereabouts due to his lack of vision.

"I don't appreciate being told how to live my life or how to raise my children," he said firmly but politely. Especially, he did not like his father's beliefs being challenged. "Why don't we start by introducing ourselves and go from there," he went on, reminding the woman that she didn't know him from eden. "I'm Grayday Corten. Husband of Catori, and father of Sunny, Dawn, Easy, Dauntless, and Lavender." There were other relations, but he'd mentioned the ones that mattered most. "Who are you?"

His head was clearing somewhat with his temper, but he still couldn't get a good read on the shewolf's scent. Another cruel fact of headcolds - the reduced his nose to a dribbling spout rather than the invaluable tool it really was.
What's Mine is Ours
101 Posts
Ooc — tweety bird
Having never been one to give in to anyone else's anger (especially when it wasn't warranted), Forrest simply sat back down and sighed. I didn't mean to insult you, she apologized calmly, I had no idea that they were your kids. I was simply trying to lighten the mood with a bit of lighthearted humor. There was a pause, then, I've only met two of them, Lavender and Dauntless, but I think you've done a wonderful job of raising them.

My name is Forrest Evergreen. I came into Morningside to work as the resident midwife for the breeding season. She noticed the poor condition of his eyes and thought to make a comment before figuring it wasn't the smartest move. Besides, he was probably aware of the injury, she was sure. I really do think that a bit of locomotion would help to clear those passages, though.
Hayao Miyazaki
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday's nose twitched as if trying to detect signs of subterfuge, but it was useless in his current state. Giving it up for a bad job, he shook the snow and gristle from his thick pelt and shifted to a more neutral stance. "Pleasure to meet you, Forrest," he said with a tiny dip of his head, deciding (once again) that he had little choice but to take his pack members at face value. He brushed over her attempts at backpedaling, not sure enough about her to decide whether or not more discussion on the subject was warrented, and moved right on to her suggestion of movement. "I won't argue with you, there. It couldn't hurt to get my blood flowing. I'm afraid I won't be much help finding herbs, but I'd be glad to accompany you," said the male, his voice rough and croaky.

He did not really want to be around the woman - she reminded him of Khoe, which was never a good thing - but she was pack, and that meant he had to at least make a token effort at making her feel comfortable. He wouldn't stand for being challenged, but that did not mean he had to challenge her at every turn either.

Grayday gestured for her to lead the way. He'd have to rely on the sound of her own steps in order to keep from running into trees - part of the reason why he'd been lying in bunny guts rather than moving around. "How are you finding the plateau?" he asked politely, partially because manners dictated that he ask, but mostly because she was his to look after, the same as the rest of the pack.
What's Mine is Ours
101 Posts
Ooc — tweety bird
Forrest smiled and nodded her head, turning and walking a few steps ahead of him with her eyes trained on the branches up above. Herbs won't do much for something like a cough..., her voice trailed as she caught sight of something that ended up being nothing more than a decayed tree limb, ...no, we're looking for a hive. That is, if there are any around here. Forrest sighed and continued walking, her tail wagging steadily behind.

I love it, she announced, turning back to face him for a moment, Everyone has been so kind and welcoming. I met your Catori a few days ago, I believe. She was truly a charming woman. And Dauntless, my goodness, what a smart boy! He has this natural curiosity, it will do him good in life. Her voice was beginning to trail off as she sniffed at the length of a tree. 

Forrest was lucky to have found a low hanging limb with a decaying, yet still oozing hive hanging from its center. She stood up on her hindlegs and pawed at the cone until it tumbled to the ground and shattered.
Hayao Miyazaki
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday lumbered carefully after the strange shewolf, still not quite sure what to think of her. His opinion was further lowered when she didn't seem to know of the common remedies - the male assumed that all children learned them from their mothers. "Yew bark and yarrow," he said after a slight pause. "My mother used to give it to us to chew when we had wet lungs. The yew to help keep the coughing down, and the yarrow to strengthen the lungs." He hoped that Forrest would keep this in mind, if she intended to be a wetnurse.

He'd not heard of using bees to cure coughs, and more than that, he wasn't sure they'd find any bees around this time of year. He was willing, however, to bear with the woman. He felt as though he'd been fairly critical of her already, and like maybe he owed her a bit of faith before he wrote her off entirely.

He said nothing on Cat - there was nothing more to say, really. She was amazing, and that was a given. On Dauntless, however, gave a wag of his tail. "He's a good boy. They're all good," he agreed. The five of them did him proud - although, he hoped they would all grow up to be a little more like Dawn.

There was a loud splat, and a familiar scent reached Grayday's nose, clogged as it was. Realization washed over him with equal parts relief. "Oh, god. I thought you wanted the bees," he said with a little laugh. "But you're after the honey, right?"
What's Mine is Ours
101 Posts
Ooc — tweety bird
Forrest nodded her head. It'd be hard finding any good quality yarrow in a winter like this. It slipped my mind that there might be a nice supply of yew around, though... The thought trailed off as she wondered just how much of this territory she still had to explore. There might have been an entire grove of remedies just waiting to be harvested that she hadn't found yet. 

She nosed around between honeycombs to see if she could detect the quality of the honey. She'd never known it to freeze, but the thick consistency it developed in the cold might have made it harder to digest. Hm. It's a bit less malleable than I had hoped, but it should melt once you've got it in your mouth. Forrest tore a nice sized section off from the side and nudged it toward Grayday. Try sucking to honey from it. You can chew it up and it too if you'd like.
Hayao Miyazaki
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday wasn't sure how much of the honey there was, but he knew it would be better to ration it than to go for the quick fix right away. He understood Forrest's urge to 'make it better', as he possessed a very strong instinct for that as well, but there were bound to be more serious cases than his own.

"We should save it," he said to the older woman. "We're a large pack, and I don't have it as bad as Sorrel does. I probably got the kids sick as well, and Cat - we might need it later on." Especially if Cat whelped this year. He hoped she'd avoided the sickness, but they slept awfully close together and were fond of sharing bodily fluids, so he was planning for the worst, there. Lavender, too, would be at risk with her thin pelt. He'd have to keep a careful watch over his more vulnerable girl.

"I don't have anything to carry it in. We probably shouldn't put it in a pelt," he said with a little sigh. "Maybe if we keep it in the snow, it'll keep the dirt off?" He wasn't above a bit (or a lot) of dirt in his food, but he felt that medicines ought to be kept clean.
What's Mine is Ours
101 Posts
Ooc — tweety bird
For a moment, Forrest had the urge to protest against Grayday, though she eventually gave in with a nod of her head. He was right; this simple cold could easily turn into a winter epidemic. If that ended up being the case, they would need a lot more honey than this. I have a little cache that I've been working on, not far from here, either. Matter of fact, it's where I was when you got my attention.

We could break this into pieces and hide it in the snow, under the bush I've been working at. It'll keep the honey cold enough to where it isn't oozing everywhere, but clean enough to where it looks edible by the time it's needed again. Forrest gave a smile and a quick beat of her tail before sighing and starting to break the hive up into pieces. 

She looked over at him for a moment and apologized again, this time with more sincerity than before. I...I really didn't mean to insult you before. Perhaps I was too forward. I do apologize, Grayday.
Hayao Miyazaki
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Being unable to see, Grayday missed Forrest's friendly gestures and measuring looks entirely. He'd been nodding along to her explanation of what she'd do with the honey until it was needed again, and during the lull in conversation, had been drifting in and out of thoughts of Cat - he wondered if she would know whether any of the trees around here were yew. Forrest was about the yarrow - they'd have to wait until spring for that.

"What?" he asked, a bit startled by her sudden apology. He remembered that he'd spoken a bit sharply to her when they'd started their little expedition. She'd apologized for it then as well, but he'd not acknowledged it. Now, he was more certain it wouldn't be a lingering problem. Whether he deserved it or not, Grayday expected a certain amount of deference from his packmates. Forrest seemed to see that, now. "Don't worry about it," he absolved with a rueful shake of his head. It was not Forrest's fault that he would not be ruled, and he knew that she had meant well enough either way. "Let's get this to your cache, then." He nosed through the snow until he found a large shard of the hive. Grayday picked up his prize and turned toward Forrest, ready for her to lead the way once more.
What's Mine is Ours
101 Posts
Ooc — tweety bird
Forrest stood still for a moment, not really wanting to move while she processed Grayday's response; she wanted to make sure that the air was cleared before any further growth in the original problem had the chance to occur. After finding herself convinced that the acceptance was genuine, however, Forrest smiled and gave a hearty chuckle, I appreciate the help! They were around the same age, it seemed, so she assumed that Grayday could relate to the aches and pains of old age. 

She grabbed her most mouthful, a couple large chunks, and led the way back to her cache with a nod of her head. Once she'd gotten a chance to drop them down and begin digging at the snow covering the rest of her collection, she thought to make a new conversation, You know, I once worked for a woman even older than I am now. She didn't really communicate too well, in this language at least, but I remember the one thing that she told me that stuck with me for quite a while afterward. I think it went something like, 'A child...hm, a child is the birth of a dream.'

She had been trying for so long to bring someone new into the world and goodness, I felt honored to be the one to be there when she did it. Forrest looked at Grayday and smiled, shaking her head in silence. I feel the same way being here, you know. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that you'll be welcoming a few new faces into the world later in the year. I can't imagine the trust that you would have to have to let me be a part of that process.

That was the truth; Forrest truly couldn't imagine because she'd never had to do it. She had been alone for each of her births, never really wanting anyone else in that space with her. But for the women who did want someone at their side, oh, she jumped at the chance to do that for them.
Hayao Miyazaki
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday laid his load beside Forrest's and sank down into the snow. The short jaunt had left his head spinning and his limbs feeling strangely light. The fever was probably to blame for that - he knew at once that he ought to have rested a bit longer.

He half-listened to the woman's meandering tale, struggling to keep up enough to identify the meaning of the story, and what he was supposed to take away from it. She liked children, it seemed. Not something that Grayday found comforting, to say the least. He was reminded of Khoe's strange, possessive behavior toward their children, and toward Sunny and Dawn as well. Forrest hadn't shown the same sort of behaviors yet, but Grayday was still wary.

"It's more up to Cat than it me," he said wearily, laying his head down on his paws. The snow was too cold against his belly, but he was too tired to curl up. He didn't say that there was no trust between he and Forrest just yet. Time and action would tell if she was truly trustworthy.
What's Mine is Ours
101 Posts
Ooc — tweety bird
I guess that's fair, Forrest replied, now slouching down beside the bush, but they're gonna be yours, too. She had always put the mother first in situations like these, but Grayday had just as much of a right to be an active part of the process as Catori. Now, how're you feeling? she asked, remembering the original reason for any of this in the first place.
Hayao Miyazaki
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday responded with a noncommittal grunt. He was too tired to think of responses anymore, and would probably have already been asleep if it had not been for the vaguely threatening presence of an unknown wolf nearby. He struggled to keep up with what Forrest was saying, his task made a bit easier by short, simple questions.

"'m alright," he said gruffly, taking his head off his paws so that the urge to sleep would not be so tempting. After a moment's hesitation, he pulled himself back to his paws, not liking the feeling of seeming small and weak in front of the other wolf.
What's Mine is Ours
101 Posts
Ooc — tweety bird
Forrest's nose twitched as she watched Grayday struggle for his conciousness. She appreciated his rising, but thought that if he really needed to rest that he ought to do it. Alright, well, I guess I'll be going off now. If anything changes, I can help. She wanted to tell him that he could trust her, but her actions would speak for themselves, given enough time to do so.
Hayao Miyazaki