Policy Update - Reclaiming adopted characters
December 12, 2018, 10:48 AM
Rosalyn
Rusalka
Gamma
The CM team has decided, as a whole, to update the policy behind reclaiming character accounts.  

Once a character is adopted out, pup or otherwise, the account cannot be reset unless the adopted account is the one making the request.

Non-consentual account reclaims have been a major source of ooc discontent in the past and we no longer feel comfortable taking accounts that were given to players.  From now on, it should be known that once you choose to allow another player to adopt a character, that character is theirs, no strings attached.  The only way it can be later reclaimed is if the player chooses (or agrees) to return it.

This should in no way lead to any harassing over account returns, and any sign of that will be dealt with under our courtesy guidelines.

As always, if you have any questions, feel free to discuss below or reach out to us!
December 12, 2018, 03:35 PM
Malice
Approved Members

What if the player completely disappears from Wolf? Honestly don't like this change at all and I think it'll just cause further distress about adopting characters out to anyone, especially people that are already anxious about it (like me).
December 12, 2018, 05:14 PM
Zombie

Unfortunately, that is a risk -- as is the risk that a player will fall inactive, choose to retire their character, or move forward with IC plans that inspire them. We understand the ownership the creators of characters feel towards them, whether for adoptables or puppies, and we also understand that the players of these characters also feel the same ownership in a lot of cases.

This has been a major source of OOC upset multiple times in the past and requires a lot of mediation that the CM team cannot provide. It has always been a rule that no one can decide a character's fate except their player, but this has often been overlooked when it comes to adoptables and puppies -- which honestly is unfair to those players.

We expect that players will be choosier when finding players for their adoptables and/or puppies with this change, and we consider that a good thing.
December 12, 2018, 05:57 PM
Ephraim
Approved Members

Is this specifically for adoptable characters and pups from this date forward or does this also apply to characters that were adopted prior to this? Regarding pups in particular, many parent players had specific criteria attached to adopting their pups last season along the lines of stating that the account was reclaimable if it went inactive with fewer than X posts or when the pup was less than Y months old. While I don't agree with such criteria myself, I'm not sure it's fair for a brand new policy that came without warning to override the conditions that players set on their pups from last year, considering the adoptees agreed to the conditions set by applying for and adopting the pup, and would prefer to see it apply only to adoptable characters from today onward if possible just for the sake of fairness.
December 12, 2018, 06:16 PM
Zombie

This was announced prior to the upcoming puppy season for that reason, but yes - this will apply to previous adoptions for the sake of simplicity. There is no way for the CMs to track previous agreements, and this has a big source of OOC friction and why we are often asked to mediate these situations (which puts us in a tough spot when there's not a clear policy like this one, as we don't mediate).

WOLF is a community intended for mature players that are willing to collaborate and communicate with each other. There's really nothing preventing parents from continuing to create agreements or conditions for their puppies; it's just that if players are not honoring those agreements, not communicating with each other, and generally not being courteous to each other, this is the policy the CMs will be defaulting to.
December 15, 2018, 10:34 AM
Bobby
Approved Members

I can't say that I agree with this policy change. It's easy enough for both the person adopting out and the person adopting characters to take a screenshot of the agreement and save it. That right there should be proof enough of what was agreed upon. 

I understand that IC things can happen, and things don't always go as planned. I also understand that the CM's don't want to be the middle person in all this. But, if there's proof of the agreement, I don't see a problem with resetting the account and giving it back to the person who adopted it out. 

Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if you have people just make new accounts under different names to replace the character that they didn't get back.
December 16, 2018, 06:07 AM
Nunataq
Lone Wolves

Quote:We expect that players will be choosier when finding players for their adoptables and/or puppies with this change, and we consider that a good thing.

Frankly speaking, I like this rule better than the previous you need X amount of posts to claim the adopted character as yours. Some of the toons I have made or adopted were meant to be short-term or their plot ran out before reaching that number of posts, but at the same time it did not mean I would not want to return with them some time later.

While I understand concerns with this rule change, I also think that this could encourage people to communicate with each other more. I had a situation, where the initial player of Wraen left the game very early and I was unable to get in touch with her through the forums. However, I knew that she was a WWS oldie and some other players could get in touch with her via other means and ask her, if she minded me reclaiming Wraen. I got a positive answer. It would not have felt right to me any other way, because Wraen - even with a little amount of posts - was that player's creative property.

And after all - the game is like a living being that evolves constantly, let's see, how this rule works and whether there are problems concerning it. If there are, rule can be adjusted or changed.
December 17, 2018, 05:09 PM
Grezig
Rusalka
Lambda
Being blunt cos this is the easiest way to get an answer. If my character has pups and I adopt them out, am I allowed to straight up say: "If you're flakey and drop characters a lot or have a lot of stuff going on OOC, please do not apply for these puppies"?
December 17, 2018, 05:33 PM
Seabreeze
Elysium
PPC
(December 17, 2018, 05:09 PM)Grezig Wrote: Being blunt cos this is the easiest way to get an answer. If my character has pups and I adopt them out, am I allowed to straight up say: "If you're flakey and drop characters a lot or have a lot of stuff going on OOC, please do not apply for these puppies"?

INB4 not a mod but I'd say that you're definitely allowed to list preferences for your pup players to follow like what you listed above, but it's essentially your job as a parent player to sort through the apps and if you end up with a "dud" you just can't reclaim it.

[Image: 70c0c50922211f79c19a9fbb2dbe797a.png]

December 17, 2018, 07:32 PM
Indra
Easthollow
Newcomer
(December 17, 2018, 05:09 PM)Grezig Wrote: Being blunt cos this is the easiest way to get an answer. If my character has pups and I adopt them out, am I allowed to straight up say: "If you're flakey and drop characters a lot or have a lot of stuff going on OOC, please do not apply for these puppies"?
Athena has the right idea!

You can set up whatever limitations, stipulations, and/or guidelines you’d like to screen/choose prospective puppy players.  This is also not something you need to disclose - each parent has the right to set up their own vetting process for puppies. :)

The only difference is that CMs will no longer enforce these guidelines for you, and the only way the account can be reclaimed is if the puppy account is the one that requests it.

We are hoping this change will help keep communication-lines open and encourage players to talk to one another as humans, one on one, and work together to achieve their end goal of seeing a puppy played and active. Like Me said (brilliantly put, by the way) the game is ever evolving and changing based on the needs of its player base, and this particular adaptation was installed with past conflicts in mind, in the hopes to eliminate future ones.

Hope that clears things up! <3

now the wren has gone to roost and the sky is turning gold,
and like the sky, my soul is also turning.