Greatwater Lake the hot gates
the iron captain
53 Posts
Ooc — Ash
For @Atlas.

Their party, which had begun as a small expedition of three, had quickly grown to include Akantha, Leukothea, Atlas, and possibly a young girl from a local pack. Greyjoy wasn't surprised about the child; the Mother's pull was strong, especially to female youth. He only hoped that her parents would not become angry with them for their daughter's choice ad create strife for the small group. While Greyjoy was large and battle-tested, they had yet to settle themselves properly, and to deal with conflict before finding the Sea would be a test indeed.

The lake by which their group camped was beautiful, large and sweeping, nestled beneath a mountain in the distance. Greyjoy preferred the chaos of the waves, the violent crash of water against sand or rock, but any water was welcome after their journey. Psamathe was certain they were near their destination, so Greyjoy believed their stay near this lake was short-lived. Aktaiê had given him the morning off to explore, so he was scouting around the lake, about a quarter of the way around from where they were staying. Perhaps if they stayed another day or two, they could gather together and capture enough fish for a feast. He was certain that with Aktaiê in charge, their lives would never be better.
47 Posts
Ooc —
The lake was more familiar to him than the sea, as blasphemous or strange as that may sound, but this was out of his control. Atlas roamed a short distance from the women, keen to keep the Adept Akantha within running distance at all times should his presence be needed, and found solace upon the foreign bank. It reminded him of the green-cast water of his birth home; not the sea that the women so fondly worshiped, but an inlet that was further inland. Memories of such a place were limited, but Atlas found himself staring contentedly in to the depths - and then he caught the trembling reflection of a familiar wolf. Atlas' head lifted slightly, his eyes straying from their distant stare at the water, and he caught sight of Greyjoy not far off.

The consort chuffed a greeting, mindful always of those nearby. "Greyjoy," the boy called out upon his approach and stepped closer, but did not embrace the longtime friend. "It is good to see you again. Your travels were easy, I hope?" It was simple enough for the consort to care for Akantha, and he assumed it would be just as easy to guard and protect those in Greyjoy's charge; perhaps easier due to his station, he mused silently. Oh, the life of a Hoplite was doubtlessly grander than the life he was already living.
the iron captain
53 Posts
Ooc — Ash
It did not take long for another to join him, though in reality Greyjoy had been the one to join Atlas, as the other wolf had been sitting there for a while. The hoplite gave a low bark of greeting, closing the gap between them. Greyjoy and Atlas were of similar age, but it was Greyjoy's native blood and seriousness that set him apart from most of the other consorts, not his age. "Atlas, good to see you," he greeted him, nudging the male's shoulder with his nose, before seating himself nearby.

"Our travels have gone well, so far. I am eager to reach the coast soon." It was the first time he had spoken his anxieties aloud, though he was certain Aktaiê knew of the pressures he faced away from the Drowned One. "Aktaiê and Psamathe are certain we are close, so I am hopeful." The consort would understand how Greyjoy felt, being far from their salt and sand, though he recalled Atlas had lived near a lake in his youth. "Were your travels with Akantha unworried?"
47 Posts
Ooc —
The consort accepted the brief physicality with little more than a small smile, and focused instead on the words that his friend spoke. There was a spark of feeling in his skin as Greyjoy pressed against him, even for that brief moment, and Atlas was surprised; no doubt due to the lack of contact caused by traveling with the adept. It was good to hear of their trials going well, and that was what the boy focused upon.

Aktaiê and Psamathe are certain we are close, so I am hopeful. Greyjoy mentioned in the serious tone of his, betraying his apprehension freely in the company of the other man. Atlas knew of the beliefs that other consorts held: of the Drowned God, at least in the barest of manners. He had always pined after the Mother Moon, and the attention of the women, even if it was frowned upon. Both of the spawn-born had secrets that they kept from their masters.

Were your travels with Akantha unworried? Greyjoy queried, and Atlas stopped thinking so much.

Hm. Yes, it was... Quiet, as always. He commented dryly, hiding the barb within his words well enough. He knew the ways of the Nereides were set and he did not question them - if anything, Atlas was thoroughly devoted - but he still wished for more... Something. How is the life of a Hoplite treating you? I'm sure you scare away all the threats with a simple stare, his tone was silly now, sarcastic and mirthful. From what he remembered of the boy in his spawn stage, Greyjoy had been more skilled with battle than the older Atlas.
the iron captain
53 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Greyjoy let out a soft chuckle at the consort's words, knowing only too well the silence that accompanied their job of protecting the Nereides. "Ours is a quiet life, it's true." At least now that Atlas and Akantha were here, everyone had more cause to speak to each other. Aktaiê spoke with him in private, though it was not an intimate occurrence; usually, she wanted to make sure he knew what he was doing, and to get updates on how Greyjoy would train new hoplites once they reached their destination.

When Atlas spoke of his supposed ability to scare threats away with his stare, Greyjoy really laughed merrily. "Yes, my stare is really the reason behind my status," he joked, giving Atlas a side-long glance, as if he wanted to scare him away, too. He shook his head with a smile, "There really have been no threats, thank the Sea and the Consort. The biggest obstacle has been fatigue and hunger."
47 Posts
Ooc —
A quiet life indeed, but he wouldn't complain too much. The fact that the Nereides had seen him fit enough for service was a blessing, as so many spawn were too weak or too tainted for such activity. They had venerated his life simply by letting him live as a babe, and for that Atlas was eternally grateful; but he still chortled a tiny, chuff of laughter upon hearing Greyjoy's comment. Quiet was quite an understatement.

As the other male leveled a glance his way, Atlas sucked in a breath and visibly winced, as if the look had indeed stung. It was in jest of course, playing along as he often did with other consorts. If the women were too stagnant to fool around, he may as well enjoy the company of other men! Wait. That thought didn't form correctly - his ears fell back for a moment as he considered the oddness of his own mind, but it was quickly forgotten. There really have been no threats, thank the Sea and the Consort. The biggest obstacle has been fatigue and hunger.

Yes well, they've got to have their seafood diet or else, right? His musings forgotten, Atlas' face crinkled in to a scowl and then, almost as swiftly, morphed back in to the charming grin. The boy slumped his butt on to the ground, his limbs growing stiff from standing for so long. I look forward to the day when travel ends though. To bask in the company of the sea again, ah! That was the life. Even though that too was a fantasy - there would be little time for basking.
the iron captain
53 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Greyjoy was glad that his childhood companion had been the one to accompany Akantha on this journey, for Atlas brought light and laughter into his otherwise serious life. The darker wolf pretended to be hurt by Greyjoy's glance, and the hoplite laughed again. It was good to let off steam in this way; the women were usually too wrapped up in their own heads to make light of any situation, and they would never deign to look upon any of his jokes lightly.

"Or else," he agreed with a nod. Greyjoy missed the sea's abundant food, though rabbit and squirrels had made due on their journey. It was not the tastiest of meals, but it brought sustenance into their bellies and allowed their bodies to replenish what they lost in order to continue on toward the sea. Even picky Aktaiê had to agree with that logic. "I look forward to that as well, my brother," he spoke softly, turning his eyes toward the north, where Psamathe said they would find their home. "I know we must wait, but my heart longs for the surf again."
47 Posts
Ooc —
We could end with your post if you wanna end at 10.

Of course, the boy gave a small nod as a means to acquiesce Greyjoy's faith; to confirm it, although it hardly needed confirming. Every man knew of the Drowned God, and many knew of Greyjoy's faith, at least if they grew up at the same time as him. Atlas was not so convinced of the holiness of the male deity, but he had outgrown his need to test the other wolf as he once did in childhood. Mother Moon would always be holy to him, even if she was reserved by the women. Alas, his comment led to silence and the silence became a little strained; he twisted an ear, as if to feign catching a summon upon the wind.

Ah, I had best get back to work... They are not going to feed themselves. Atlas commented, and then took to his paws, but did not outright leave his companion. I wish you well.
the iron captain
53 Posts
Ooc — Ash
The board says my post is only #9! One more from you with him leaving? It can be short. :)

Greyjoy knew that Atlas was different from other consorts, though he did not know the depth to which his otherness went. It did not bother him, however, what aspect of the deity he chose to worship, because in reality Greyjoy believed that the Moon, Sea, and Drowned God were intertwined in such a way as to be one, though surely not equal. Sometimes he thought of it this way: the Moon was the mighty brain, the Sea the heart, and the Drowned God the strong body. All aspects of the same, though different in their own respect.

"I am glad you came with Adept Akantha," Greyjoy smiled at Atlas, standing to give his kin a gentle nudge on the shoulder. "Please do not hesitate to find me if you have any questions or wish to simply talk. I'm afraid I've grown quite rusty with my conversation skills, but I will get better now you are here." Greyjoy was glad that Atlas had come. Now he would not be so lonely.
47 Posts
Ooc —
Derp, my bad. Exit Atlas! More threads in the future pls yes.

Their brief meeting had invigorated Atlas as much as it had the other; he was more exuberant in his company, glad to have someone of equal standing (or thereabouts) with which to confide his thoughts. But work always came first. The sisters needed things, and while they were each quite capable of hunting for themselves or what-have-you, it was a duty entrusted to him - to them. To serve these women meant that the men were on the right path, that the sins of their ancestors would one day be cleansed - and maybe one day, the Nereides would no longer need the consorts who served them and instead place them in equal standing with their own holy selves.

But these were vague thoughts, distant thoughts. Greyjoy approached him and nudged his shoulder, which Atlas returned happily, if a bit roughly. The boy nodded one last farewell as he launched in to a commanding stride, leaving behind the Hoplite to his thoughts and the sea.