Stone Circle If I could save time in a bottle
116 Posts
Ooc — Jess
It was surprising, but flattering that Arlette seemed actually interested in knowing more about her. She felt most comfortable being hardly noticed and barely known and wasn't used to having questions directed at her that were actually about her. It was a novel concept, to be recognized as an individual- and even moreso when she became an individual who actually interested someone else. Amongst the women, there had been comraderie in her pack, but she'd meant little to nothing in the grand scheme of things. "I...I'm not sure," She confessed sheepishly. "It was the name of an elder who had passed before my birth...We often recycled names," She said. It had been a means of implying accountability- that she should live a life that might pay tribute to one who had come before her, and that she would be dishonouring the dead should she misbehave. But she didn't feel that she needed to articulate that to Arlette, as she thought it might prompt more questions about her former pack's traditions. 

She was pleased, though, when she realized she was teaching something new and valuable to Arlette. There was something akin to a beam of sunlight that seemed to emanate from her, and Oryx perceived immediately that she was likely speaking to one of the most genuine wolves she might ever meet. There was nothing pretended about her demeanour, nothing false or put-on for show in a bid to gain Oryx's favour. The others she had met had been very kind to her- but had given her space, and had not asked too much of her. They'd spoken warmly to her, and had offered her solace- but Arlette was the first to make Oryx feel like she might actually mean something; a novel concept for the fairly sheltered individual. 

"Of course," Oryx said, with a dip of her head. She blushed- she wasn't used to others deferring to her, or going to her for advice. She was not a master medic by any means- she had a fairly limited knowledge of plants, and would have had to learn for years yet in order to be the top medic in her former pack. Fortunately, she was able to answer a bit of Arlette's additional questions. 

"The others...Have sap in the stem, that will burn the skin and blister when exposed to daylight. If it gets in your eyes...It can cause blindness." She said. "I would consider them very harmful...We might find some around here," She said, casting her gaze across the plains. "I could show them to you...For comparison," She offered. While she respected the fact that Arlette too was training to be a medic, she had to be responsible for what she told her. It was all well and good to use herbs for medicine- but there were dangers that came with each, and at the end of the day, if she did not properly educate her packmate, she would be the one responsible for any injuries that might happen.

And as such, she frowned slightly when Arlette expressed what she believed might be an interest in potentially taking valerian herself. Not because she worried Arlette might abuse the medicine, but because she did not believe it was in her best interest to take something when Oryx did not know what it might do to her children. "I am not sure what effects it might have on unborn children." She said, and heaved a sigh. "Most medicines are discovered by...Trial and error, and those lessons are passed down through generations but...I did not finish my training, so I do not know the answer- and would not want to make you or your children a test subject." She said. "So...I would simply advise against it." She said. Better safe than sorry. "But in the case of elderly- I have known those who have taken it, and they did not seem to suffer adverse effects; aside from what I believe might have become a dependency; though...The elderly tend to suffer from chronic pain...And for end-of-life care...I do not see harm in keeping them comfortable." She admitted. She took Arlette's eagerness in stride, and felt truly at ease in the company of another for perhaps the first time since joining the pack.
Messages In This Thread
If I could save time in a bottle - by Oryx - June 07, 2020, 10:28 PM
RE: If I could save time in a bottle - by Arlette - June 10, 2020, 05:04 AM
RE: If I could save time in a bottle - by Oryx - June 14, 2020, 02:54 PM
RE: If I could save time in a bottle - by Arlette - June 17, 2020, 05:00 AM
RE: If I could save time in a bottle - by Oryx - June 17, 2020, 02:49 PM
RE: If I could save time in a bottle - by Arlette - June 25, 2020, 02:55 PM
RE: If I could save time in a bottle - by Oryx - July 03, 2020, 09:52 PM
RE: If I could save time in a bottle - by Arlette - July 05, 2020, 05:55 AM
RE: If I could save time in a bottle - by Oryx - July 21, 2020, 07:59 PM
RE: If I could save time in a bottle - by Arlette - July 24, 2020, 06:53 AM
RE: If I could save time in a bottle - by Oryx - August 05, 2020, 11:06 AM