Duskfire Glacier times are changing, so I must too
8 Posts
Ooc — Rou
Joining 

The chilled winds blew across the land, the terra cold and not as quaint. Roulette's cheeks were nipped once or twice in a minute. Being native to a cold region assisted some, so the weather wasn't too much out of his favor. Nonetheless, it wasn't the pleasant weather for travel. The foreign canine had decided, even against some better judgement, that traveling to the Snowforest Taiga was in his best interest. It was a timely journey, but one he hoped that would be worth his while. 

He was no stranger to being a loner and at times it was beneficial. However, times were changing and that meant he must too. Packs were never much of an interest to Rou. After being abandoned by his parents, he grew accustomed to fending for himself. Surviving had its challenges, but he was never one to turn away from them. Either he would find a way to remove said challenge, or he would find a way around. But now, he was faced with a new challenge that he wasn't sure to how to resolve. As the seasons changed, the herds had grazed closer to pack territory where the lands were rich with vegetation. Smaller game appeared here and there, but they too ventured nearer to the borders he wasn't able to cross. Sure, he enjoyed a good fight here and there, but that didn't quite mean he would intentionally go searching for one. Crossing over pack borders in search of a decent meal wasn't a chance he was about to take. From a once bulky and muscular mass, Roulette had shrunk, thinning substantially. The long, boiling hot days were hard to endure; the nights were difficult to stay in slumber with his belly rumbling all the while. He was running out of options and time.

From where he had previously retained a somewhat permanent residence, the scent of packs weren't too far, but a good trek. One in particular[/size][size=small], located somewhere near Permafrost Hollows, seemed to be the closest. If he was to survive through the remains of the summer and see himself to the next season, he would have to do something he never before imagined himself doing. Join a pack.

The thought was a bitter taste in his mouth, given he hasn't had much experience with pack environments, but it couldn't be all that bad. Right? Only one way to find out.

Halting at the fresh borderline of whatever pack he'd happened upon, Roulette sunk over his haunches. He could cross over and approach them on his own terms, but such an action would undoubtedly cause a ruckus and possibly even bloodshed. Instead, he lifted his chin and sent a deep howl to echo across the taiga, hoping his presence would be heard. Here he would wait to be approached and questioned. If all went well, Rou may as well have himself a secured future.

@Lane
stars cannot shine without darkness
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
OOC: Tags for reference or for inclusion.

Time had passed by so quickly. Almost too quickly. Her trio of children were now fully weaned and able to be left alone for short periods of time. This allowed Tzila more freedom. Enough so that she could step away and re-take her place by Wintersbane's side. With it came a plethora of responsibilities, but none of which she wasn't already used to. What would take adapting to was being on call for her children at the same time. She always had one of her two ears turned in their direction. Her thoughts never left them for long.

A lone call from an outsider came from the borders. As a seasoned guardian used to keeping a tight watch on her patrols, she turned to respond promptly. Duskfire's guest was fortunate in that she was close. Trailing at her heels, keen to learn, observe or maybe even investigate, was her first born, @Arius. As the large, dark figure came into view, she turned a firm eye back to her son. A cue as to not get too close. But then again, no wolf in their right mind would dare step in between a mother and child. Especially one as formidable as the Shadow Queen. Approaching with a high tail and a slight raise of her chin, but without being overbearing, she addressed him evenly. "This is Duskfire Glacier. I am Tzila. I lead alongside Wintersbane. How may I help you?"
48 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Adventuring with mother was not a rare feat, but being alone with her did not happen often. Arius usually had to contend with a littermate or one of the many other children born to his father, oftentimes sharing the sleeping space with the rest of them.

Today was magnificent for its differences; he tawdled after his mother's shape with a youthful tenacity, even when he did not always know where his feet were in relation to the rest of himself. When Tzila stopped, Arius bumbled in to her hocks and took a moment to stand again, wobbly but unbroken.

She commanded something of a stranger up ahead, most of which meant nothing to Arius, but he tried to make his voice big too; he wanted to be like his mother, and bellowed a mix of baby-speak that followed the tempo of her words, though it was only gibberish. When he finished he felt quite proud of himself, and plopped backwards against her foot.

arius is a very unreliable narrator. he twists events / things said to him to fit his own narrative. it is, in no shape or form personal, and not a reflection of me OOCly.
8 Posts
Ooc — Rou
The time seemed to pass slowly. Very unfortunate for Rou. There wasn't much of him that was impatient, but in a case like this, he was eager for results. Would his attempts be successful, or would he be denied? Only time would tell and much of that time left him bored. Hence this, he rose and began to pace subconsciously. An active wolf often on his paws, it was hard to sit still for so long. Had no wolf heard his call? Surely they did. Someone had to of and even if they didn't hear him, at least perhaps they'd caught his scent.

The time he spent pacing got him lost in a swirl of random thoughts, drowning his senses. Roulette didn't hear the pair approaching. As the voice rang through his audit, his attention quickly returned to reality. The female caught his eye first, before his gaze shifted downwards to the youth that clung to her hind limb. Mother and son, undoubtedly. Now back to the mother. She stood tall, pressing her both her authority and manner of confidence. There wasn't much to mistake her claim to either. Upon her words of leading alongside another of who's name was unfamiliar to him, her identity was clear.

Noting the cue the she-wolf, claiming the name of Tzila, gave to her young, Rou chuffed lightly, taking a decently sized step back. If this venture was to be successful, he would need to take every precaution to ensure his intentions weren't mistaken. Above all mistakes, coming off as threatening to a pack leader's offspring would lie near towards the top of the list. Once he'd put a safe distance between the trio, the brute lowered his tail, making sure it was lower than her own and dipped his chin. Both were meant as a sign of respect and a sign to show that he meant no harm to her or her accompaniment.

''Greetings to you, Tzila. I am called Roulette, or Rou, for short. I don't wish to press at your precious time, so I will get right to the point. I have traveled quite far to your territory and have done so with no intention of ill intention upon you or your pack. It is my hope that you and your mate would consider accepting my request to join your pack-- Duskfire Glacier, as you called it. Times have changed and my reputation of successfully fending for myself has nearly shrunk itself to be as thin as the air we breathe. Lack of supplements and sleep has limited my appearance close to mere fur and bone, so it would seem I am quite useless as of now. But, after a time of healing, I could be of some use to you.''
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
She took every measure to divide her time equally between her three cubs. Having them, and even Lane's in the mix all at once was thrilling but also overwhelming. Being so close with the younger mother, Tzila had been more than happy to look after Wayfarer and Veteran while Lane was away. Today was entirely different. A different kind of bonding experience between mother and son. Arius was getting his first look at how the adults conducted themselves with strangers at the borders.

Noting how Roulette stepped back to place some distance between him and her boy, paired with the lowering of his tail, eased her somewhat. Yet her guarded motherly instinct remained firmly intact, promising him nothing. Not until she could get a better read of him, at least. Overlooking him, she credited his impressive size, though he did look a little too trim. Appreciative of his straight to the point approach, she nodded. "Pleased to meet you, Roulette." She dipped her head down to graze her muzzle over an erect ear tip of Arius. "Arius, my first born son."

Wintersbane was much more experienced in handling cases like these at the borders. Whether or not he had heard the call and chose to make an appearance to pass judgement, was up to him. He was a busy man. Nothing about Tzila gave away that this was her first time in such a role. She had been in enough packs and had plenty of guarding experience to know how to handle visitors of all kinds. Listening patiently to his explanation, with one or two flicks of her tail, she considered him. "If it is healing aid you seek, then you are in luck. Our pack has two fine medics. Duskfire Glacier is a tightly knit pack. It is for those seeking a new, fresh start. But first, tell me, where do your skills lie? What can you offer us?" Another gentle nudge for Arius. "What about you, my dear one? Anything you want to add for him, hmm?" She teased meaningfully in a soft hum of a voice.
48 Posts
Ooc — torvi
The wolf before them was dark like mother, but insofar as Arius could tell, he did not know them. She prattled off some introductions and when his own name sounded to his ears, he recognized it and made sure to emphasize, Awees! (— and don't you forget it!) His little voice did not hold the powerful timbre of Tzila or the cool depths of Wintersbane, being more irregular in pitch due to his youth.

After his little outburst Arius looked up at mother, brushing the top of his snout and the cold end of his nose against the highest piece of her he could reach, exposing his throat in the process. A big grin had wormed its way across his face when she nudged at the crown of his head, and he sat up properly when she nudged him again. Mother was asking him questions but at this point Arius did not understand. His mouth hinged open and there came an outpouring of nonsensical babble directed up to where she loomed over him, rather than the stranger.

arius is a very unreliable narrator. he twists events / things said to him to fit his own narrative. it is, in no shape or form personal, and not a reflection of me OOCly.
8 Posts
Ooc — Rou
Despite his efforts of a fair first impression, he knew quite well that the she-wolf may not take to him as fondly, given the presence of the pup. Mothers often acted beyond proportion of their usual manner when it came to their offspring. However, this mother seemed to have a sense of self control and considered what he had to say. For now, she was somewhat at ease, continuing to speak with him. That was a good start.

''Quite young, but a promising mannerism about him. He aspires to be like his mother and father, it seems,'' Roulette mused, noting the pup's mirrored confidence of the she-wolf. It brought back few memories of his own past as a youthful creature. Unfortunately for him, he hadn't had such caring and dutiful guidance as this one seemed to. Then again, he only assumed so based upon appearance and a first-time interaction.

Returning his attention to the she-wolf, he thought over her inquiries. When he decided to travel here, he knew what his intentions were, however he hadn't fully prepared himself for what answers he would give if and when they were asked. Not wanting to seem too clueless, Rou cleared his throat and rose his chin a bit higher. ''I suppose you could say I am one seeking out a new start, yes. As to what I can offer? Through most of my adolescence I was trained strictly in the arts of combat and defense. Since after the time I was left to fend for myself, I continued to practice and retain more knowledge of the profession. Obviously now I am not much of a fighter, but like I had said, I could be more of use once I am back to my old self physically. I don't know much on how a pack functions and how it is regulated, but I do know that the safety of a pack is high priority. I can offer security and perhaps even lend some advice that could benefit towards the future of the pack. True, I may not look like much at the moment, but I'm smarter than some give me credit for.''

It seemed almost a daft thing; being so honest when it came to his current weakness in health. Though, his looks gave most of it away almost immediately. Regardless of whether she could see it or not, he would show himself off as prideful or stronger than he could prove with his first impression. He was an honest wolf and he wanted to make sure they knew that always. The first meeting is the time when a reputation is first placed over your head. Rou knew that all too well and would heed the advice. Now was the time to show her who he was and make sure it wasn't questioned in the slightest bit.
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
OOC: Sorry for the wait.

Inwardly she beamed at her son's bold proclamation of his identity. It was good that he was by her side here this day. The youth of the pack were just at the right age where they could absorb border calls like these. One could never learn too early, as far as she was concerned.

The outsider, Roulette's calm but observant air around Arius earned him points. He didn't seem tense or averse to the typical antics of a child. Time would tell of his true nature, should she accept him. "He very well may. It will be interesting to watch." 

Back to business. His tale of how he was raised in the art of self defense and combat struck a chord of familiarity with her. And even more so, his lifestyle choice of looking after himself, on his own. Something Tzila knew intimately. It had been like second nature to her, although she was now happily integrated with her pack. She hummed, flitting her silver eyes over him with patient consideration. "You sound like an ideal fit, so long as you are willing to contribute and learn. If you find that satisfactory, then consider yourself accepted."
8 Posts
Ooc — Rou
' ' It is always a curious time to see how a young mind grows and functions once it's matured. Some become intelligent; powerful in strength and mind... while others take a turn for the worse. ' '

The comment wasn't much an implication of doubt, but a statement that could be proven factual. He was only stating what he knew to be true. Time could change any creature, no matter how they are brought up as an infant.

Chuffing lowly; quietly, Roulette shifted his gaze from the child to the woman. ' ' I will contribute what I have to offer and I will learn what it is you have to teach. ' ' Disdain laced the last word. Being taught by another was something of his past, but in order to secure his future, he'll have to endure it once again. Hopefully, this time, his teachers will be different from what he's used to. By the looks of this woman, his hope stands tall.
48 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Whatever his mother was doing here with the man, Arius did not have any inkling towards the purpose and soon lost interest in his role between them. Tzila seemed to be proud of him; this gave him a warm feeling that erupted in the wag of his tail, but soon the stranger was talking and Arius had forgotten himself again. He began to nose around in the dirt and when he found a particularly strong-smelling patch of grass, grabbed for it, then bowled over on his shoulder and began to wriggle around with his belly up, scratching a sudden itch. The man and his mother weren't outright forgotten (it was hard to forget a set of adults when you're so small yourself) - but Arius was much more attuned to his own needs in the moment.

469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
OOC: Last post.

Satisfied, she strode forward, to breeze past him lightly. Just enough so the traces of her scent, of Duskfire, could transfer from her fur to his. Marking him as one of their own, that she personally had accepted. The others would know that while he was a stranger, he had been welcomed.

"Come then. I can show you the lay of the land, but I won't object if you prefer going off on your own." She spared him a thoughtful glance, ever mindful of Arius nearby, just being a happy pup. "You are bound to run into Wintersbane sooner or later. He's easily recognizable. A large man, thick dark and silvery gray fur. Blue eyes." She went on. "Rye is one of our caregivers, as is Lane. Both with typical timber, agouti markings." She informed, feeling it helpful he had a description of some of the more prominent members of the pack. Happy with how the events transpired, she led him further into her glacier home.
8 Posts
Ooc — Rou
As the woman trailed past, his nose twitched. Growing used to the scent of a pack would take time. Soon enough, he would smell exactly like her. Like a pack wolf.

Following steadily after the she-wolf as she began to move, his heavy paws clambering upon the terrace. His ears twitched every so often, perking high as she had begun to speak. ' ' I could never call this home unless I knew the lands. What better way to learn than from you?' ' Roulette admitted, agreeing to follow as he continued with her.

Each description Tzila gave, he noted them well. Known for being a quick learner and remembering others based upon appearances, it wouldn't be too hard for him to regard each of the pack as he met them. ' ' I will keep note of these descriptions well . . . Thank you. ' '