Redhawk Caldera Like whales beneath me diving down
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
When Peregrine finished his patrol and began to climb up the caldera, he caught wind of @Amon and veered to track the recently-returned Eta. Because of everything happening with the plateau and its members lately, he hadn't had a chance to sit down with the man and question him about his absence. Peregrine didn't feel like browbeating him about it; he was more curious than anything. Surely there was a good story there.

He reached the caldera's lip and carefully picked his way down the frosty decline. "Amon?" he called, certain that his subordinate was somewhere nearby.
<span style="font-family:times; font-size: 8px; color: #222; letter-spacing:1px;"><i>Lumen soli mutuum das</i></span><br><br><b>Deceased.</b>
78 Posts
Ooc — Java
It was difficult for the burly man to climb up and down the mountain, and that was the reason he avoided the heart of the caldera. He chose to dwell in the forest where he had initially been discovered, usually. Today though, he braved the pain in his joints and the danger of the ridge; he was all set for a break when a voice carried upon the wind - a void spouting his own name.

Alerted, Amon took a deep breath and got to his paws; he did not know what to expect as he turned to face the sound, and wanted to be ready for potential confrontation - maybe Donatus had returned, or something else had befallen one of the wolves. When he caught sight of the dark boy's silhouette, Amon's thoughts eased somewhat and he lurched in to motion towards him.

Peregrine, the beast rumbled the name, and pleasantly nodded his head. I suppose you are lookin' for me? Well, no surprise there. Amon had sworn an allegiance and then vanished for a few days - the Alpha probably had some doubts about him now.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
The older male came to him, looking humble but unafraid. Peregrine favored him with a brief wag of his tail to show that he didn't intend to berate him. He then sat, motioning for Amon to do the same.

"We have some catching up to do. You were gone," he said almost conversationally. "Where did you go?"

Some wolves, like Finley, were Outriders who would leave for days at a time—but always with notice. Amon had disappeared without a word. The swarthy Alpha was glad he had returned but he wanted, needed, to understand the terms of his subordinate's departure.
<span style="font-family:times; font-size: 8px; color: #222; letter-spacing:1px;"><i>Lumen soli mutuum das</i></span><br><br><b>Deceased.</b>
78 Posts
Ooc — Java
At the invitation to sit, Amon was hesitant. He waited for the leader to take his own spot before settling himself down. Then, with prompting from the boy, he readied his thoughts for the tale. Or rather, the truth - he wasn't going to lie to Peregrine exactly, but perhaps omit some of the details that weren't necessary.

I was exploring the forest when I encountered my brother, Donatus. That was all he wanted to say, but more detail would likely be requested of him, so Amon went ahead without the need for prompting. The scratchy tone of his old voice sank between them. He comes from the pack I once lived with, and... While he came upon me by happenstance, I knew he would not leave without some, ah, insistence. That explained the cuts and bruises littering the old man's body.

But there was a lot of empty space within that explanation. He had explained an encounter, not a reason for abandoning the pack - although Amon did not see his actions as abandonment at all. I know how Donatus thinks, as we were raised together to follow the same creed. I know his orders. By finding me among the caldera, that would put your wolves at risk.. So I led him away to the best of my ability, to keep the caldera safe.

As his words faded, he looked to Peregrine for further instruction; no doubt there would be more questions.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
By the time Amon finished, Peregrine's hackles were prickling at the threat he hadn't even realized was there until now. Amon said he'd lured his brother away from the caldera but what was to stop him from coming back to the area and tracking him down here at home?

"I appreciate the efforts you made to divert this Donatus. But how successful do you think you were? What if he returns? What do you think him capable of? I need to know everything you know, Amon, to protect this pack. It's my family. That includes you."
78 Posts
Ooc — Java
Amon let out a small sigh as he was pressed for more information; it made sense to be asking these questions, but the old beast did not want to dredge through all of his secrets - even if it was to keep this new home of his safe. But he couldn't refuse his leader's request.

I believe I was successful. Ol' Donnie and I go way back, so I know his skills and weaknesses. Not to mention he's as old as dirt, Maybe that little comment wasn't appropriate, but Amon was feeling a bit of a pinch, disliking the seriousness of the conversation (although it was an understandable seriousness). As far as he knows, I'm alone. If he does come back- And there was certainty in Amon's mind that he would, -he will probably have another member of the Guard with him, but no more than two. It's.. Standard practice. A proper scouting party.

Amon's brow creased with concern, and an apologetic expression slipped across his rugged face. If anyone comes to harass you - us - they'll be after me, first and foremost. And I ain't afraid of a few deluded kids, or Donnie. He's probably riddled with senility by now anyhow. It was a little bit painful to think of his brother as the butt-monkey of the militia, but at the same time Amon had steeled his heart against the thoughts of his kin; they were bound by blood, but that didn't make them family any longer.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Amon's weary sigh caused Peregrine's eyes to flicker. Was the old timer just tired from his misadventure? Or was he sick of being questioned? In any case, the Alpha decided he would stop pressing him and let the subject drop after a few last words.

"We patrol pretty religiously, so there's no way to 'up' the patrols, so to speak, though I'll ask that our wardens, official and unofficial, remain extra vigilant. Can you give me Donatus's description to pass along to the other members? I hope he doesn't come back, though if he does, it sounds like we stand a good chance of beating his ass if it comes down to it," the Alpha male said unapologetically.

"You seem tired. Would you like me to let you go so you can rest? I can get you some food too if you like," Peregrine offered.
78 Posts
Ooc — Java
@Peregrine -- Editing because I forgot to have him describe Donnie.

The man nodded, but his mind wandered from the conversation. Yes, he was tired, but more-so tired of his brother's antics than the conversation. It seemed that Amon could not out run the fool no matter how much he tried; the Guard was a strong faction of the government back home, but it would not last if it spread its pithy influence out here in to the wilds. What point could there be in doing that, anyhow?

Another sigh blustered from him, but Amon caught himself and formed the breath in to words instead. A little tired, yes. Mostly frustrated though. I left the Guard and yet, the Guard doesn't want to leave me in peace. Perhaps the only way to attain peace was in death - such a vow was a part of the initiation in to their ranks after all. If he held true to it, then the caldera would be safe. Alas, he did not wish to think so darkly about his future. If they do try anything, mebbe we could herd that cougar at them - two birds, one stone, what have you.

A slight smirk, and the joke fell flat. Donnie is big, like me. Ain't got the hunch, though. We're pretty similar in build and color, but his eyes are lighter than mine, so that should help split us apart. And he has some pretty gnarly scars. A few fresh ones too, thanks to Amon's little encounter with him.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
"We're here to back you up if he comes back to bother you," Peregrine reassured Amon. He smirked at the old man's quip about the cougar, then nodded when he gave a description of Donatus. The Alpha would commit it to memory, then spread the word among the caldera's residents. They could collectively keep an eye out for him.

"Why don't you make yourself comfortable? I'll be right back," the Gamekeeper said, then turned and loped off to one of the nearer stockpiles. There were several rabbit carcasses. He selected the choicest one, plucked it from the cache and carried it back to where Amon waited.

"Here you go. I'd like to hear more about this Guard. But it can wait 'til later if you'd rather just eat and rest."
78 Posts
Ooc — Java
It was odd to have someone doting upon him. Or maybe doting was the wrong word; it brings to mind imagery of lovesick children passing gifts between one another. Peregrine and Amon had no such relationship. What was odd to the older man was... Not having to work for something. To have the leader of a pack happily share his stores. It was a lifestyle that Amon had left behind when he had matured enough to enter the Guard, and was almost foreign to him. So when Peregrine slipped off to fetch a morsel for the old git, Amon was suitably impressed - and somewhat guilt-stricken - when the meal was offered up to himself.

"Hnm, rest would be appreciated. I'm sure you're quite the busy bee, being the Alpha and all." Amon responded with a smirk, although there was a distinct lack of mirth in his voice. He felt out of place, suddenly. But was it really Peregrine's behavior that caused this, or the mention of the Guard? Maybe a little of both. "I've spent my days wandering an' trying ta forget about them. They ain't a nice sort of folk to be around." As soon as he said this, Amon's ears gave a little wiggle of indecision, as if admitting this would cast himself in a negative light - didn't want that.

"Gimmie a few hours? I'll find you or.. You'll find me, and we can talk s'more."
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Think I'm gonna fade this'un. I'd love another thread sometime! :)

"No, no, being Alpha means I make all the subordinates do the work for me," Peregrine quipped in reply. While that wasn't true at all, Peregrine would never be too busy to spend some quality time with a pack mate like Amon. His subordinates were priority numero uno; everything else came second.

Sensing that Amon didn't want to dredge up these memories now or even later, Peregrine gave the old timer's shoulder a nudge. "Hey, man, we don't have to get into it. No need to dwell on the past. We'll focus on the future. Hopefully your Donatus won't be any part of it." His eyes glowed shrewdly as he spoke. If Amon's brother showed up anyway, he would be dealt with swiftly.

"Take it easy. I'm sure we'll run into each other soon enough," were the leader's words of parting. He waved his tail at Amon, then strode off, leaving his pack mate to eat in peace and rest his weary bones.