Stavanger Bay show some backbone
749 Posts
Ooc — Kris
@Levi set outside the pack borders :)

As Luke strolled across the sands he would pause as he came to a glob of seaweed and with a blue-padded paw turned it over. By doing this he had netted himself several other delicacies that could not be found inland - a few crabs and the occasional eel-like fish that had found itself marooned at low tide. Even the seaweed itself was not bad, but it was so salty he dare not eat more than a bite less he find himself very thirsty without a drink nearby. But the real prize he found was a whale vertebra that had washed ashore. It's edges were worn rounded and it had been dried and bleached from exposure. It was no antler, but Luke was delighted by the find.

The white wolf carried the bone with him, determined to keep it with him for an indefinite amount of time. The cool sea breeze whisked the scent of a pack's borders to him, and he stopped and gazed at the bay ahead. He was coming to realize there were many packs in this park, and he had barely scratched the surface when it came to exploring its entirety. Luke did not go any further, not wishing to cause a stir among the residents, and though he appreciated the ocean and its delicacies, he had no interest in living at its feet.
even if we survive
82 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Levi liked to spend time on the beach, but these days he remained pretty close to the bay's borders. After that encounter with the strange wolf further down the beach speaking to him in tongues, Levi didn't want to worry about being kidnapped or abducted or anything of that nature. He'd prefer to stay right here and healthy, thank you very much.

But that didn't mean he didn't stray slightly from the bay, though always within sight of its invisible border. Today he was scrounging through the seaweed, picking up shells and conchs and sun-bleached crabs to add to his collection. The wind gusted from the north, bringing with it the scent of another, at which Levi turned his head toward the stranger in the distance. He was carrying something white and interesting within his jaws. Levi barked, taking a few steps closer to the other, his eyes trained on the whale vertebra dangling from the other's mouth. "Where'd you get that?!" he shouted, somewhere between curiosity and a demand.
crash down like an avalanche
749 Posts
Ooc — Kris
Luke was about to pivot and head back down along the shore before taking a turn inland, when a young pup approached with a bark and a demanding question about his latest find. Luke's silver gaze cast around, noting that the pup was a lone but not far from home, as his nose registered that the pup's scent belonged to the bayside pack. He smiled around his bone before placing it securely at his feet. The blue-nosed wolf was not possessive of his things like some, unless he was starving and had found some meat that meant life or death, but he was not willing to part with his bone immediately and so kept it close.

"I found it on the beach," he said. Living so close to the shore the pup probably had seen all manner of things wash up on the beach, and if Luke had not been such a stickler for living close to fresh water he might be very attracted by life on the shore just for the chance to find these random prizes. But he wondered if the young male had seen this particular bone. "Have you seen one before?"
even if we survive
82 Posts
Ooc — Ash
The stranger dropped the bone at his feet, not protecting it per say, but keeping it close. Levi wondered at that, at his ability to trust, and took one step forward. "I've never seen one so big," he observed quietly. "Usually I see seal bones. Or the bones of my mother's kill. Nothing that big, though." This was probably the most he had spoken to a stranger since that encounter with that strange-tongued female.

Levi was a half-grown wolf, his legs long and lanky, his ears still too big for his head. He was nearly six months old, perhaps a bit older now, and he carried himself with the lanky grace of a teenager. His eyes, though, were bright and curious, revealing his quick-witted mind. Almost as an afterthought, he said, "I'm Levi."
749 Posts
Ooc — Kris
He did not stir as the pup took a step forward, and only gazed warmly at him. "I think this belongs to a whale," Luke said, his gaze dropping from the young boy to the vertebra at his feet. He had only seen whales a couple times and once seen a carcass of one washed ashore, which had attracted all manner of scavengers both feathered and furred. He did not know but what other creature would have a spinal bone so large as this one? Certainly no seal or anything he had seen.

"Nice to meet you, Levi," he smiled. "I'm Luke." With his paw he shoved the bone forward a bit. "You can have a closer look," he invited, settling to his haunches. The white wolf was fond of pups and could not deny their curiosity.
even if we survive
82 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Levi smiled at Luke and gave him a nod, showing he heard and understood his introduction. He then thought about the word whale and what it meant. As he inspected the bone closer, as Luke suggested he do, he remembered the big creatures he had seen jumping out of the water in the distance. His mother had explained those were whales, though he never met one. Perhaps he never would.

"Where did you find it?" he asked softly, turning over the bone with a paw to sniff at its undersides. He studied it carefully, cataloging every nook and cranny into his mind. It looked kind of like a seal's bone, but not quite. Bigger, definitely. "Luke, where do you live?" he asked, taking a step back from the bone and sitting in the sand. Levi's head was cocked to one side, his bright teal gaze trained on Luke.
749 Posts
Ooc — Kris
In the pup's initial excitement, he must have forgotten he had already asked where Luke had found the bone earlier. But the blue-nosed wolf smiled warmly down at him as he inspected the vertebra, and was happy to repeat his answer. "Just down the beach," he replied. "It must have washed ashore by itself, I did not see any others." If the white wolf had made a more thorough search he may have been able to find more, but he had found this one in passing.

Luke's paw reached for the bone when the pup stepped back, pulling it close enough that his toes could comfortably feel around its curves while he answered Levi's next question. "Just around here and there," he chuckled. "I'm just a lone wolf for now, you see." He paused briefly, his eyes glancing to the bay and then back to his little companion. "I take it you live just over there?" he asked.
even if we survive
82 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Levi didn't remember what he said in his excitement, but was glad that Luke didn't point it out. He was still very much a puppy, despite his size and age and his impending rise into the adult ranks. He studied Luke with careful eyes, wondering. Always wondering. But when Luke announced that he simply lived "here and there," he was shocked. He could never imagine living as a lone wolf!

"What do you do for friends?" he asked, somewhat insensitively. He wasn't trying to be rude; he was simply curious. "Yeah, I live here. Its called Stavanger Bay. Its awesome." He grinned, wondering if Luke wanted a tour. "I could show ya around, if you thought you might want to stay...Ya know, as part of the pack."
749 Posts
Ooc — Kris
"What do you do for friends?" Luke smiled at the question, though it caused his heart to roll with longing. "I make friends wherever I go," he said, but while this was true it was also true that most of these friends were more like acquaintances, and he often never saw them again. It was exciting to meet new folks, but it was lonesome to not have established relationships to build on. This was the biggest reason he could not wait for the pack to form.

"I'm flattered," he grinned at the boy's offer of a tour. "But I have a friend who will be starting her own pack, and I am to join her." His tail waved. It was fortunate that he did not have to turn the pup down by explaining he was more of a freshwater wolf who could not live by the sea. Young minds could be hurt easily. "Even though the bay does look pretty awesome." He winked.
even if we survive
82 Posts
Ooc — Ash
"Like me?" asked, somewhat childishly. Levi knew that not every wolf or creature that he came across would become his friend - boy, did he know that - but he was a hopelessly optimistic lad. Luke went on to explain that he was joining a pack with a friend. Levi smiled, though he felt a bit sad about it.

"Where's it gonna be?" he asked gently, toying with the sand beneath his paws, trying to hide the hurt that he felt. It wasn't as if Luke had tried to hurt him, but he had gotten his hopes up, and they had been dashed all the same. "Maybe I can come visit you when I'm bigger." Levi was in an endless puppy stage, and though he was bright and intelligent, that didn't mean he had a lick of common sense, at least where strangers were concerned.
749 Posts
Ooc — Kris
"Just like you!" Luke beamed, momentarily dropping into a play bow before he resumed a seated position. They had just met of course, but as far as Luke was concerned they were indeed friends.

"I don't know yet," Luke explained. "My friend said she'd like to settle in a forest with a river running through it, but she hasn't picked the exact spot." He paused, smiling at Levi. He sensed by the aimless motions of the pup's paws that Levi was a bit bummed that he would not be joining the bay. He intended to fix that, to give the young wolf something more positive to think about. "It won't be too far," he went on to say, "You could definitely come see me when you're older. Here," Luke shoved the backbone toward the boy. "Why don't you keep this until we meet again? I don't want to lose it while I'm wandering around." He grinned, tail wagging. As much as he loved finding the bone, the blue-nosed wolf had a very soft spot for pups, and it was true that he had no den to stash the vertebra in. He could cache it, but this seemed a far better option.
even if we survive
82 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Levi smiled, not only at Luke's exclamation, but also at his suggestion. He could come visit! Levi wasn't one for leaving the bay very often, but he could make an exception for Luke! They were friends, after all, right? Levi nodded his head, practically beaming at the thought. "That will be fun! You gotta let me know where your home is, when you find out."

Then Luke offered something even brighter, and Levi was so excited. He'd let Levi keep the backbone? Levi smiled brighter, stepping closer and tugging the bone toward his paws. "Are you sure? I don't wanna take it if you're not sure..." He nodded, though, and replied. "I'll keep it extra safe."
749 Posts
Ooc — Kris
last post for me! :)

He nodded to reaffirm his offer. "Yes, you keep it." Levi promised to keep it extra safe, and he grinned. He stepped toward the boy, nudging the side of his head affectionately. "I know you will. Take care now!" He bid the pup farewell, dipping his head and he made his leave. A content smile was spread across his face, and not an ounce of regret did he feel relinquishing his newly found treasure to the care of the bay wolf.