Blackfoot Forest so many walls up
<font style="font:10px Georgia;"><em>avatar by cj</em></font>
615 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
OOC: This became long and strange SORRY I promise it'll otherwise be a normal thread. >_> My imagination got carried away.

IC: The forest seemed, in all ways, to be the picture of tranquility: the birds were quieter here, the wind's breath seemed to die at the edges, and the outside world seemed soundproofed away. It was an idyllic paradise for prey animals, who might wander through the trees with relative ease; the sun filtered through and reached the floor here, leaving it bursting with foliage quite unlike the choked undergrowth in Neverwinter Forest. Jinx had spent a lovely afternoon wandering through the territory in search of moss or any herbs she could add to her stores, fully intending to bring them home and use them for good. She was settling into Neverwinter nicely, and was beginning to think that maybe life wasn't solely about leading a pack. When sundown came faster than she expected, Jinx had chosen to spend the night in the forest before returning the next day to her new home.

That was where she discovered the origin of the forest's name, at least in part, and when her plans quite abruptly changed.

The forest at night was very much unlike its diurnal self; the canopy that so beautifully filtered in sunlight during the day seemed to close overhead, blocking out any moonlight that might've hoped to get through. It was eerily quiet, at least for a little while; it didn't take long for the screaming of the foxes to begin, and when it did, Jinx felt deep within her the stirrings of her spirituality returning. Within the hour, the pale-furred girl had risen from the hollow she had made in the forest's bed and was walking amongst the trees, her fur rising with every unearthly cry.

It was in the very heart of the forest that she found Him, knowing He would come: the bear was hulking, its breathing heavy and laboured, but that was to be expected. There were no altars here to Sos, and it was not yet the Crow Moon, so His mortal influence was weakened. Nevertheless, as the Dark Father turned on her and His crimson gaze flashed dangerously, she stopped short and fear clenched her heart; there was never any encounter with Sos that did not bring prayers for mercy leaping to her lips and did not give her the dread of death descending on her.

You fear me, He noted, and the rumbled of laughter that roared from Him sent earthquake spasms through her own chest. The Bear's dark amusement ended quickly, and suddenly He had rounded on her fully, the fury burning in His gaze as He came within inches of her, jaws parted and hot breath heaving in anger. You have given up on Me, wench, He noted, and although Jinx didn't want to believe it, Sos knew her innermost feelings; knew everyone's innermost feelings. With a feeling like a punch to the gut, her God bowled her over and left her struggling on the forest floor with His great paw pushed heavily down on her chest.

How dare you, He roared into her face, and she clenched her eyes closed against the spittle that flew. A weak cough was her only response. You have failed me, Kesuk, He said, with disappointment and rage. You were meant to be more intelligent than this. Waiting for your destiny to fall in your lap? Ignorant, selfish child. His paw lifted and Jinx's mouth parted in a great gasp as she sought life-giving air; so busy was she refilling her lungs that she could scarcely appreciate His mercy, even as he turned to lumber away. You know what you must do. Do not disappoint me again, inept whelp, lest I find someone competent to serve me.

When she awoke in the same place she had finally blacked out, she could still see the burning crimson in her mind, and her chest still felt the pressure of His touch; yet she had a new resolve. Rather than gathering up her finds and making for Neverwinter immediately, Jinx dragged herself back to the hollow she had made the evening before and widened it into a cache, into which she placed her findings: a few dried herbs, a fistful of berries carried in a nest of leaves, and a couple broken mushrooms. As she covered them up, newfound purpose and determination burned fervently in her breast; Sos had spoken at last, in this haunted forest where the Living realm touched the Spirit realm, and she finally knew what her destiny was.
Messages In This Thread
so many walls up - by Jinx - September 09, 2013, 10:24 PM
RE: so many walls up - by Leto - September 21, 2013, 09:08 PM
RE: so many walls up - by Jinx - September 24, 2013, 07:40 PM
RE: so many walls up - by Leto - September 24, 2013, 09:43 PM
RE: so many walls up - by Jinx - October 04, 2013, 06:19 PM
RE: so many walls up - by Leto - November 17, 2013, 02:17 PM