Tuktu Weir I’m No Hero
35 Posts
Ooc — Flyleaf
Away
All Welcome 
Dakota trotted through this forest. The forest, that he’s heard, has the king of all elk or deer or whatever it was. He doesn’t quite believe it after all but he still help his eye out for said beast. When he meets a clearing and his eyes traverse along the beauty of this lake it makes him stare for a few extra minutes. 

The moderately thick layer of snow covering the ground around the lake where the forests trees allow it to fall. The lake is partly frozen over. The only parts unfrozen look like damage from the native beaver that’ve made the lake their home, their dam. 

The snow collects on his coat evenly as he settles in, watching the nature before him. The ice has to be moderately thick on the lake he thinks, but still doesn’t bother to try crossing. He’s been a sled dog long enough to know how to deal with frozen over bodies of water. Then something peculiar catches his eye out on the lake, possibly about eight meters out; an animal of some sorts. 

He goes closer, squinting honey colored eyes and notices it’s a doe. The female deer skids along the ice of the frozen lake on her belly, unable to stand due to her hooves. Sadly as she tries her hardest to stand and move she stays stagnant, unable to gain traction on the frozen surface. At this moment, Dakota sighs to himself. He has to do this. His pack like instincts are kicking in, where he thought his predator-prey instincts should be, but apparently fail to.

He makes his way to the edge of the bank. Pressing a paw onto the lakes surface as an experimental weight, he deems it safe enough to stand on. He bows his head and lies his chest to the ice and kicks off the bank with his hind legs, shooting his body a good few feet to the center of the lake across the ice. In a low crawl, he evens out his body weight and slides his stomach and chest along the ice, propelling himself with small scoots of his paws.

Eyes held with determination to save this doe he notices the deer looking at him with her impossibly wide eyes. She’s terrified of him, terrified of the lake. In fear, she tried her hardest to get up again and almost succeeds but tumbled down again and Dakota hears a crack in the ice that makes him go still.

“Don’t move!” He shouts stupidly out to the doe, assuming she could understand him. “I’m coming to save you. Not eat you, save you!” 

He continues on and he’s not sure if she understands but she seems to go stock still. He crawls along the ice and finally makes it to her, she side eyes him nervously and he reaches up to grab the base of her neck and her breathing picks up and she starts to try and scamper off again. Another crack in the ice.

“Stop moving or we’ll both die.” He tries but attempts to say smoothly to soothe her anxiety. He instead grabs her leg towards her hoof and she lets him. It’s more of a challenge to make it back than he expected. He’d lose traction and not go anywhere until he dug his claws into the ice.

Finally he makes it to the bank and he stands, letting go of the does leg he meets solid ground again, but she remains there staring up at him. He gazes down to her and hooks his chin on the back of her neck and pulls her the rest of the way and her knobby legs finally touch the snow. Dakota back up from her and she slowly catches her footing standing shakily she glances down back to him once last time. Their eyes meet and he gives her a fleeting smile and he almost can see her thanking him with those big doe eyes of hers.

She sprints off and Dakota watches her little fluffy white tail perk up as she jumps over bushes. The plume of his tailless butt hits the snow and he releases the breath he never knew he was holding. Well he’s done his good deed for the day.
Messages In This Thread
I’m No Hero - by Dakota Tikaani - January 17, 2020, 11:54 PM
RE: I’m No Hero - by Riley - January 18, 2020, 10:19 PM
RE: I’m No Hero - by Dakota Tikaani - January 20, 2020, 10:19 PM
RE: I’m No Hero - by Riley - January 21, 2020, 08:10 PM
RE: I’m No Hero - by Dakota Tikaani - January 21, 2020, 08:41 PM
RE: I’m No Hero - by Riley - January 25, 2020, 02:23 PM
RE: I’m No Hero - by Dakota Tikaani - January 25, 2020, 07:13 PM
RE: I’m No Hero - by Riley - January 26, 2020, 03:41 PM
RE: I’m No Hero - by Dakota Tikaani - February 04, 2020, 02:06 AM
RE: I’m No Hero - by Riley - February 09, 2020, 11:34 AM
RE: I’m No Hero - by Dakota Tikaani - February 09, 2020, 01:56 PM