Herbalists' Cache i never meant to be a savior
2 Posts
Ooc — toby
Time seemed slow as Wren stared at Kukulkan, feeling as if she were staring at a ghost. God, he had changed so much, hadn't he? Did he still like playing pranks? Did he still like to marvel at little birds and lizards? Was his laugh still the same? He had changed, but how much? What remained of the boy she had spent her golden youth with, laughing and causing chaos like any good children with the world at their paws should? She turned her questions to herself and knew, with definite certainty, that the girl that he had known was close to completely gone. She didn't know where that girl was.

If anything, one thing remained the same: he was still quite a bit taller than her.

When he made to move closer to her, Wren's pale eyes widened fearfully. The pale wolf flinched away, backing up just slightly. Before he could react, though, the girl muttered, "I-I'm sorry..." Apologizing was like second nature to her, one always hovering at the back of her throat after every action she took. Old friends or not, she couldn't help instinct. Not when those who were supposed to be one of her most trusted had been the ones to cause her greatest torment. She tried to ease the tension in her failing muscles, tried to keep the fear in her eyes at bay despite how guilty she did feel. She didn't want him to worry any more than it seemed her already did, as much as he tried to hide it.

Eventually, she succeeded, if only slightly. She didn't look as terrified as she had originally, though her tail was still curled between her legs. She watched him with careful eyes, because every detail mattered. She had learned the importance of body language very quickly, capable of watching for every tick and twitch and trying to figure out what it meant for her. She wasn't sure she'd be able to survive this long if not for her attentiveness. Wren was still wary when Kukulkan got even closer, but at least she didn't flinch this time. Part of her still seemed to falter, though, as he came closer.

It felt odd hearing her name again. It had felt like a secret she kept close to her heart, sparing it to none but those who already knew it. She could remember the last time she had heard it spoken, coldly and harshly. Her sentencing--her banishment. But now it was spoken softly, pleadingly. There were mentions of safety from him, promises that he'd take her away from here and tuck her away some place where the things that lurked in this strange new world could not reach her. She kind of liked that idea.

Her thoughts were broken as he nosed at her stiff form, eyes going wide again as she fought against herself. Her limbs trembled, failing her, wanting to run but knowing she shouldn't. Her throat felt tight, her breaths soft and almost wheezing. There came a point where she couldn't take it, shifting away from the contact and stepping away. She didn't look at him as she spoke, her voice small and wavering, "Please don't." She couldn't stand the contact right now, even from someone she had once trusted. ( Did she still trust him? ) "I-I'll be fine. It's fine," she replied, her voice a bit firmer but lacking much confidence. "It's fine, r-really," she reassured him, though something in her voice made it seem like it wasn't just for him but maybe her as well.
Messages In This Thread
i never meant to be a savior - by Kukulkan - February 02, 2020, 11:24 PM
RE: i never meant to be a savior - by Wren Wolf - February 03, 2020, 12:32 AM
RE: i never meant to be a savior - by Wren Wolf - February 18, 2020, 02:10 PM
RE: i never meant to be a savior - by Kukulkan - February 18, 2020, 02:48 AM