Nocturne Summit Can't deny my love
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
All Welcome 
Tomorrow she would be an adult. There was much Wildfire still needed to figure out for herself—her trades were only the beginning—but she didn't worry about it. She was anxious and excited to receive her first real rank and rise to the occasion. But she was already doing her best and she was under no impression that anything would change dramatically overnight.

Wildfire felt sad too. She wanted to celebrate with her family, namely her brother and sister. Yet she was not ready for that yet. With that said, the young she-wolf could not resist the urge to traipse south, then tuck herself somewhere in the foothills of the comfy and cozy Nocturne Summit. She chose a spot where she could see the caldera and sent silent well wishes to her siblings from afar.

She hadn't intended to howl a message but suddenly she found herself tossing her smudged snout into the air and calling, "Happy adultery, @Nightjar and @Raven!" (She was unaware of her misnomer.) Wildfire was pretty sure they would hear from here. But she did not necessarily expect a response, nor did she hope they would come here. She just wanted them to know she was thinking of them on the eve of this important milestone.

I tagged for reference but this is open to anyone! :)
20 Posts
Ooc — Lucy
PM me if you want me to delete it :/
 Corvasa was flying through a new place, it seemed good for a home. She felt the wind, as she cut through it, gliding. She flapped again and she sped forwards. She gave a happy sigh. 
 Suddenly, a loud howl disorientated her and she fell. Corvasa was a very fragile bird and she didn't react well to loud noises. 
 She swooped before the ground touched her and turned in the direction of the noise. She was ready to tell the creature off for being so loud. 
 When she had reached, she felt confused. There was a fox, not a wolf. She squinted, her purple eyes sparkling. A wolf, not a fox, she decided.
She got closer, within hearing distance. She frowned, wondering why the wolf was howling. "Hello there. Why are you howling?"  The wolf was probably looking for someone, she thought.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
She felt a mild pang when she was met with radio silence. Wildfire slowly slid to the cold ground with a quiet sigh, trying not to take it personally. She focused on the excitement of her pending rank. Where would Charon and Ame place her? Would they simply bump her into the lowest adult rank or place her somewhere in the middle of her new peers? She hope they started her off somewhat low, so she could adjust to the new relevance of the hierarchy before possibly jockeying up further. Wildfire was not ambitious and thought she would probably be content somewhere in the middle tier.

A small voice distracted her from her thoughts. The she-wolf blinked back into focus, eyes panning around her surroundings in an effort to pinpoint the source. Her amber gaze eventually clapped upon a large crow or raven with glittering indigo eyes. Never in her life could Wildfire recall conversing with a bird of any kind. She thought she'd understood the words, though they were muffled a bit by the squawking and clacking of the raven's beak. It was as if the avian spoke with a thick, exotic accent.

"Uh," the sylphlike wolf said, sitting slightly more upright, positioned like a sphinx with her weight on her elbows. "Hello. I was just sending a message to my brother and sister," she explained, feeling a little awkward and unsure, in case she'd misunderstood the bird's words.
20 Posts
Ooc — Lucy
Sorry its short
Corvasa slowly lowered herself. She started smoothing out her feathers while the wolf talked.
"I was just sending a message to my sister and brother" Corvasa nodded, this was reasonable. The situation got awkward very fast. "Well.. Why are you in need of your siblings", she said, finishing up with her feathers. Corvasa hated awkward silences, so she kept the conversation going.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Her ears flicked forward when the bird spoke again, her speech still difficult for the wolf to understand. Fortunately, she only said a few words, which Wildfire quickly deciphered. Her head cocked as she pondered how to answer that. Did birds not enjoy close relationships with their siblings? For a Naturalist, her knowledge of other animals' social structures was sorely lacking.

"Um, well, we reach adulthood tomorrow. They're in a different pack—my birth pack—and I just wanted to let them know I was thinking of them," Wildfire said, speaking slowly and clearly in case the language barrier went both ways. "Do you have any brothers or sisters?" It felt unnatural to attempt to make conversation with a raven, yet her curiosity was genuine.
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Couldn't resist tossing a reply in here.  This'll probably be the only one from me.  :)

Her coming-of-age seemed to be a big deal in the pack and to her parents.  Raven supposed she should be excited, but she wasn't a very ambitious kid and had no big aspirations of gaining rank and proving herself over the other wolves in the pack.  She was content to be the quiet one in the background, although if she was honest with herself, she did think it'd be cool to not be considered a kid anymore.

Still...the idea that she was about to be an adult was just so weird.  It didn't seem like it fit her quite right.  She had always been just a pup -- how was she supposed to act now that she was a grown-up?  How do you even adult??

She was wandering near the boundaries of their packlands, in search of more plants she could stash in her collection.  She'd taken over Wifi's old hang-out spot at the badger den; she'd moved some of her sister's old clutter aside to make room for her dried herbs and plants so she could experiment with them and keep them saved for times of need.  She needed to beef up her supply though, and despite the fact that pickings were getting kind of slim this time of year, she was nevertheless hard at work.  When a familiar voice drifted across the crisp air, at first Raven didn't think anything of it -- she'd become so accustomed to hearing her sister's howl over the course of her young life.  

But then it dawned on her -- it was Wifi.  Suddenly, her heart leaped up into her throat and she stopped dead in her tracks, rooted on the spot.  Without even realizing it, her head turned toward the direction from which the howl had come and she felt an overwhelming urge to run as fast as she could toward Nocturne Summit.  But she was hesitant to leave the packlands on her own just yet.  Quivering slightly, she whined and gazed longingly toward the summer, almost imagining she could see a shimmering red jewel on its drab, earthy side.  She remained that way for several long minutes before she succumbed to the howl clawing its way from her chest and into her throat.  Her voice was sharp, dark, and somber, like the bird for which she was named, and the message it contained was simple but honest:

I miss you.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Gonna wrap this up!

Before the bird could possibly regale Wildfire with her life story, a faraway howl rose into the air. She jerked, ears pricking, as her sister's voice sang across the distance. Her heart swelled and throbbed at the simple, somber message: "I miss you." For several moments, she couldn't bring herself to move or speak. She glanced absently at the raven, musing very briefly about the irony (what with her sister's name) and then gazed off in the general direction of the caldera again.

"Miss you too," she called back. Between her old injuries and the emotions clogging her throat, she was afraid her voice wouldn't carry this time. However, the wind seemed to be blustering in her favor, hopefully sweeping the notes across the broad expanses and letting her know that the sentiment was definitely mutual.

Silence fell and Wildfire could feel the chasm like a physical ache. Forgetting to even acknowledge the raven, she turned and decided to seek out Floki. Today was definitely a bittersweet day but surely he would cheer her up and get her back into a celebratory mood for her special day.