Sleeping Dragon i've been a clean living girl I promise you
i am dragon fire
26 Posts
Ooc — Raccoondog
All Welcome 
a caregiver thread! Anyone who wants to help Chessur find some herbs, or just meet the new girl, feel free to join :D

Chessur had finished her tour with Tanja, the male from her old home had definitely helped ease some of her worries. Until her brother arrived, she considered Tanja to be her closest ally, even though this was the first time in a while she'd seen him. He'd been kind to her in Trigeda, and so far he was kind to her here as well. Thuringwethil hadn't seemed as excited to see Suri as Suri had hoped, but she knew that the older woman was the Heda. Plus from what Tanja had said, there had been recent attacks in the pack. One attack on a child by one of their own. All the more reason to her that the shouldn't let outsiders in. Outsiders only brought death.

And so with these recent events, Chessur decided to put her Gona duties on hold. It had surprised her quite a bit that they had no Fisas at all. They had a healer, but apparently she was a Skayona and not focused mainly on caregiving. Here in Drageda, they could have two specializations, so Chessur decided she'd major in caregiving for now, her work as a Gona would be secondary. She would have to go on a stock run soon, and since the territory itself didn't seem to have everything she needed, she would have to leave the territory. Which, according to Tanja, would also mean she would have to make a friend who could accompany her. She hated the idea of befriending one of these outsiders, whose trust was yet to be won. She hoped that she'd stumble across Gavriel or Rebekka soon, or maybe her brother would arrive. 

Until she left for her quick supply run, she looked for whatever she could find in the more vegetated areas of the territory. It was a much different home than the forested Trigeda, and she'd have some trouble adjusting, but she could do it. She stopped by a large tree where she found some Ragwort, perfect for aching joints. She bent down, fluffy tail flagged up behind her rump as she nipped at the plant with her teeth.
Did someone say plants?
526 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
Portia's love of plants drove her to specialize in botany, but she knew more about caregiving than anyone in the pack combined-- and she was good at it too. A seasoned healer was just what Drageda needed, and although more than one might've been useful sometimes, Portia felt she had taken full control of it-- and had it completely under control.  Had she known, the thought of another one might've been a bit frustrating, especially since the Skayona felt she had done such a great job thus far. Oh well.

She came across the woman from the borders, her tail wagging a bit and her head tilting to the side with interest. She was studying a plant, and she watched as the woman carefully nipped it between her teeth. Portia waited for her to finish before she spoke, green eyes shining. "Ragwort," she said happily, still watching the other, "I've got a whole pile in my cache back home, if you need any extra." The offer was genuine, but she grew wary as she felt a sense of replacement wash over her. Most wolves don't just gather herbs-- this one must be an actual healer as well.
green text signifies trigedasleng.
i am dragon fire
26 Posts
Ooc — Raccoondog
Chessur turned her head slowly to face the stranger, a black and white female, smaller than Suri by a little bit but older. The young woman had always been taught  respect for those older than her, but she didn't feel the rules applied to those who she didn't trust. She turned and stood to her full height, but tucked her tail slightly just to show a little submission. She knew Heda trusted these people, and Heda would probably be angry if she didn't give the newcomers a chance. Still she could find a way to show her frustration and not get in trouble if she really tried.

I do not need any of your ragwort thank you. Do yu speak ai sleng? She asked out of curiosity, staring at the other woman for a moment before returning to collecting her herbs.
Did someone say plants?
526 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
The other declined, but Portia was less than offended. She cared little for respect, and while Wifi or Dio may have been offended by her tall stance, Portia merely ignored it. She shook her head. "I am learning... Ai laik Portia, Skayona kom Drageda-- shopta?"

She smiled, remembering the conversation she'd had with Freyja, remembering that those had been the correct words. "And your name?" She added, this time expectant of a response. 
i am dragon fire
26 Posts
Ooc — Raccoondog
The fact that this Portia woman could speak Trigedasleng was rather impressive to Suri. It would help her get used to the idea of outsiders if they were at least trying to assimilate to her culture. She nodded, for her speaking was exceptional. Ai laik ait. Ai laik spichen enti, sef en's mous Wintam Dina. Na yu kom op? She asked, wondering if the non Trigeda wolves would know about their traditions. Wintam Dina was a fun one, the whole pack coming together to hunt and enjoy themselves. She'd only done it once, and was excited to do it again.

My name is Chessur. Once Gona of Trigeda, now I am only Kru of Drageda. I am also a healer, so seeing as there's so little healers here, I would like to make that my main duty here in Drageda. You also heal then, Skayona? She asked, slowly allowing her posture to become more relaxed and friendly. Portia hadn't shown any signs of hostility, as Chessur had expected an outsider would. But she still didn't approve much of her, and though her posture was friendly, she offered no smile.
Did someone say plants?
526 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
Portia hesitated, rolling the phrase around in her head for a few moments before giving a weak smile. "I only caught half of that..." she admitted sheepishly, her tail waving slowly. "Wintam Dina... that is the feast, right?" she asked, her gaze steady as she still searched her brain for the other words. In an effort to attempt to work out a proper answer, she added on. "I don't remember if Heda gave it a name-- though I'm sure it has one... I participated in a ceremony not too long ago. It consisted of a purposeful scarring on her shoulder, it was a marvelous ritual, I was truly honored to be a part of it," she explained, smiling to the stranger.

"I am well seasoned in both," Portia nodded, smiling, "When I joined there were two Fisa's in Drageda-- and Thuringwethil asked me to focus on my botany. They've since left, so I've worked hard to do both-- though it's hardly a chore, I really do love it." The woman's posture relaxed, and Portia felt relieved to see it. Her tail wagged a bit, ears pricking forward. "Most wolves here are Gonas-- but I've found an apprentice in one of Gyda and Gavriel's children, his name is Hvitserk," she added, hoping Chessur would find it impressive.
i am dragon fire
26 Posts
Ooc — Raccoondog
Sorry that this post is kind of rambley and also that Suri is kind of a jerk face :)

Chessur's lip quirked up at the next sentence, that Portia had only caught half of what she'd said. She'd figured as much, but the look on the older woman's face was still priceless. She wasn't truly one of them, not in Suri's mind. But at least she was trying, which counted for something. Yes, feast. The whole pack comes together to catch big game before winter. She explained, though didn't go into further detail. She remembered her first Wintam Dina. She wasn't even a year old yet and she'd been able to help take down a mighty elk. She had always been prideful, but it had really started there.

Portia spoke of the marking ritual, which Suri had only gone through once. She'd killed one before. Guarding the borders of Trigeda. He was a man, fully grown, but foolish and childish. He'd walked right up o their borders and mocked her, so Chessur ripped out his throat. She felt no remorse, and never would. It is a common ritual. Most Gonas go through it. Every kill is marked with a scar. She turned hereft shoulder to show her claw mark of a scar. Her first and only kill. Another one of her most prideful moments.

Chessur nodded as Portia spoke, about why she was a Skayona and such. She didn't care much, but it did help her analyze her new pack mate some. Portia seemed friendly, and liked to share. Suri could sense that her change in posture had eased the other, Portia's tail began to wag. Suri let her own mahogany tipped tail sway for a moment then return to drape calmly off her rump. She was more of the serious sort than the kind and inviting sort. Portia then spoke of something that Suri found very interesting. Not that Portia had an apprentice, but that Gavriel had a mate! It seemed all the wolves from her home were finding mates here, perhaps Suri would as well. But she pushed that idea away, for it wasn't how a warrior thought. Families came second, the clan came first.

Is this Hvitserk Gavriel's only child? She asked, just out of curiosity. Perhaps she could find an apprentice in one of his pups as well.
Did someone say plants?
526 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
"Yes," Portia agreed, glancing to her shoulder briefly. The Skayona was quite clearly anything but a gona-- even with her lack of kill-marks, she was clean from any scars at all, and her fur was well groomed. When Chessur showed her own, Portia studied it curiously, her tail tapping the earth once or twice. "Os job," she said, tossing in the phrase Freyja had, curiosity riddled in her voice, though she kept her questions to herself.

Only a few wolves among the ranks had found mates, as far as Portia could see it was less than many. Most of the packs she had been a part of had multiple pairs among them-- Drageda was no different. Sometimes she pondered if she and Dio were mates, and if she'd ever even want that, but usually she tried to force the thoughts down.

The freckled botanist nodded. "Three others. Thyri, Eske, and Freyja-- who is among the Dragedakru ranks as our Feisripa," she explained, wondering why this took her attention.

no worries <3
i am dragon fire
26 Posts
Ooc — Raccoondog
Chessur flicked her ear at Portia's comment. Awesome job. Yes her accomplishments were awesome, and she did find it slightly amusing that Portia would use such a slang word. But more than amusing, she found it a bit insulting. A mark was not only to show power, and to tally a warrior's battles, but also to honor those lost. Chessur did not think taking lives to be 'awesome', but more of a necessary cruelty to protect her pack. She held much pride in her first kill, but also respect for any life lost. Portia should learn this as well.

However she was still trying her best not to start problems, so she let her inner feelings of the matter go with that one flick of her ear. Portia answered her question and Suri nodded. She would very much like to meet the pups. They were children born into Drageda, so in her eyes they were no outsiders. And they were fresh blood she was yet to meet. I will have to meet these children. For now I will start my own herb stock. I am sure ragwort is not our only resource? She asked, flicking her tail towards the pile of plant below the tree.
Did someone say plants?
526 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
Portia didn't mean any offense by it-- Thuringwethil always seemed sort of proud of hers, though maybe she just didn't know... there was a ceremony for it, after all. Chessur dropped the topic, going straight onto the children.

"They're all wonderful," she said with a wave of her tail. Hvitserk was maybe her favorite for his interest in medicine and plants, but Freyja was just so spunky and sweet. "We are limited-- I do a lot of outside travel for mine, but the wooded area is the best place to find them," she explained with a shrug, smiling a bit.
i am dragon fire
26 Posts
Ooc — Raccoondog
Chessur nodded as Portia spoke, it was just as she'd assumed. She would have to leave the territory some if she were to find some of the herbs she needed. Perhaps sharing a cache wouldn't be such a bad idea, however she still held too much pride to give in that way. Portia was a good wolf, and Suri had nothing against her personally. But the rusted woman was stubborn to her ways. Her thoughts would remain the same. Outsiders were not to be trusted. Thank you. You had been informative. She spoke, her own way of complimenting.

Leidon. She said with a dip of her head before turning to go into the woods. It was an abrupt goodbye, but she felt she had nothing else to say. She flicked her tail one last time to Portia before disappearing into the brush.

That was a fun thread! I'd love another sometime :)
Did someone say plants?
526 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
The woman treated her like a spy-- like she'd just given secretive information and then would disappear into the brush-- which is exactly what she did. Portia gave her a smile and a nod, squinting at her as she walked away. "Bye, hun," she said, tail flicking once. She couldn't tell what she thought of that wolf-- but still worried Thuringwethil was replacing her. She couldn't think of a moment where she'd lost her trust, but maybe she'd forgotten to do something. Shoving the thoughts to the side, she turned and left, deciding she wanted to find Dio and console with him. 

yes!! portia will win her over <3