Morningside Cuesta fireborn
i am flame and ash and life
9 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
It had taken a great amount of time and precision for Eshne to get down from the rocky slopes of the Cuesta. She hadn't expected the sudden drop and had several times nearly slipped but she could see in the distance the water of the little creek ahead. She shook her coat out, mottled body coated by blacks, browns, reds - the hues of her rich heritage all spread across her tiny body. The midday sun warmed her and even though she could see her breathe on the air it wasn't a concern to her. She was at peace, the physical work keeping her warm and keeping her spirits elevated. 

She wasn't sure what had brought her into the lands but she was not deterred. It was time for a change and she had taken her life in her own paws and set out for a new future. She'd carve it her own, not be bound by the ideals and the dreams of her deary pack. This was her time - and no one could tell her otherwise. 
Like a moth to a flame
6 Posts
Ooc — Autie
It was still fall, barely. The nearby trees flanking the small creek a ways off were stubbornly trying to cling to the last of their leaves, but the weather was starting to get more bitter, the winds whispering quietly of the winter to come. He'd been by the riverside for a respite before heading back on his travels, as he didn't prefer to stay in any pack territory for too long. On his merry way he'd spotted a figure making it's way down the steep cliffside. As his paws took him closer, he saw it was another wolf - great, probably a pack member come to make sure he wasn't any trouble, warn him to get the hell outta dodge before the rest come for him.

He sniffed the air but it told him a different story than his eyes did - she was female, and there were no others nearby. Strange. Why was she braving those cliffs anyway, did she have a death wish? She certainly seemed capable enough, like she was on a mission. Life on his own had taught him when it was better to just leave well enough alone in some cases, and being betrayed had taught him that "friends" weren't always what they seemed. If she WAS part of whatever pack claimed this land, he'd be better off slinking away as if he'd never been there.  Hoping she hadn't seen him, he decided to do just that...
9 Posts
Ooc —
Of course, as things often went, life did not adhere to the male's wishes. As she had been scanning the area she spotted the dark wolf as he seemed to contemplate his options. Without hesitation she approached him, her steps sure and quick despite how little her legs where. "Wait!" It was equal parts question and command, Eshne's golden eyes peering at him as she got closer. He towered over her, massive frame enough that she had to look up at him. "Do you know this area?" She asked, tongue flicking across her lips as she continued to look at him. 

She wasn't afraid, not of his size, not of the rogue element of him being unknown. She was stubborn, prideful, it didn't matter at all. Behind her the white tip of her tail was visible as it lashed behind her. Hopefully he wasn't so scared of a tiny girl that he'd avoid her, but, there was always that chance she supposed. 
Like a moth to a flame
6 Posts
Ooc — Autie
He stopped in his tracks as a "Wait!" reached his ears, eyes widening at first, and then half lidding themselves as he let out a resigned sigh. So much for avoiding detection. He turned to her and raised an eyebrow. He had to admit, she was a plucky little thing. She didn't even know his name and was already asking for directions. But her question was at least enough to tell him she wasn't part of the pack that claimed this area. 

He considered rebuffing her as she trotted up to him, out of breath from her descent, but felt she'd at least earned more than that just for her fearlessness. "Afraid you're asking the wrong wolf, Firefly. I'm just passing through." He said with a smirk and a shrug.
9 Posts
Ooc —
Firefly. Eshne gave him a flat look, for a moment frozen until she couldn't help herself. The corner of her lips twitched down on one side, an eyebrow lifting as she stared at him. "Pity, I was hoping you'd be useful." She hummed out, a little purr to her voice as she spoke. She took a couple steps back and let her gaze shift from the dark coated male towards the area around them. "There's not too much from the rise there - I was thinking of getting around the creek, maybe finding a spot to leap across, then seeing what's out west." She explained. 

Even if the stranger couldn't give her any clues about the area it was nice to talk to someone after the weeks of solitude. She'd sustained herself from small catches, using her speed and her wits to help keep herself afloat. She wasn't going to tie herself to the male but even if it was just for a moment she was pleased to be around the coal colored male, she'd been alone for far too long. 
Like a moth to a flame
6 Posts
Ooc — Autie
As he'd expected, he got the best look ever, and started outright laughing at her first response. "Useless as they come, darlin'." He grinned, noticing she was still following him despite planning out her next steps in whatever pilgrimage she was on. "From what I've seen, 'leaping' is out of the question, but if you're dead set on keeping those pretty little paws dry, about 4 miles behind us a tree has fallen across the river." He knew it'd mean she'd have to backtrack and lose time, but there were plenty of shallow spots she could probably walk across no worse for wear. He was mainly curious to see what she'd do. He didn't care one lick about getting completely soaked, if he wanted to cross the river, he'd swim, or wade, or get his feet wet...whatever means to an end. But if she did decide to turn around, it also meant getting her off his tail.

In truth, he really was rather useless to her, he had no clue what was out west. Northwest? Sure, he'd roamed all about those areas, could perhaps even call them "home", but had travelled southeast since, taking in the valleys and the rivers that were such a stark contrast to the mountains he knew so well.
9 Posts
Ooc —
She shook her head, pink tongue dragging briefly across the pale fur of her muzzle. "You shouldn't make conclusions so quickly." Eshne wasn't afraid of getting her feet wet, although she'd prefer somewhere that was more shallow so her entire body didn't end up drenched. She hated being cold. She'd come from warm, dry places and although her pack had thought she embodied some hotheaded daemon it wasn't true. She felt cold just like everyone else. 

Since he'd admitted that he wasn't useful to her she pressed on, overcoming his pace and heading towards the water to cross it. It left him a decent view of her coat, and with it, the shape of her curves. "Maybe next time we run into one another you might find a way to make yourself useful." She called out, smirking as she went on with her plan. 
Like a moth to a flame
6 Posts
Ooc — Autie
A wicked grin escaped his muzzle as she'd pressed forward into the mire, apparently adamant to prove him wrong about keeping her paws dry. Instead of retorting that she shouldn't make conclusions either, there were some deep hidden holes in that mud, ones the larger fish often liked to make themselves comfortable in, he kept it to himself and let her go. She'd figure it out sooner or later, and he couldn't say he didn't enjoy the view.

"Useless as I may be, I could sure find some uses for you, Phoenix." He smirked, keeping along the banks as the sun set her red coat on fire. As it were, they were actually headed in the same direction. He and his brother had made a home out of Shadow Mountain, but as Logan sometimes got wanderlust, he'd decided to explore some of the places he hadn't quite seen yet. Never a bad idea to get a lay of the land, or to get word from the winds on what types of packs lived nearby.
9 Posts
Ooc —
Eshne had been happy to press on and keep moving but his voice cut across her. She shot a warning glance back at him, undeterred by his larger frame. "You couldn't handle me on your best day, hotshot." Eshne said before she continued on along the river edge until she found a spot she could safely navigate across. He'd never know it, but, he wasn't entirely off the mark. She was proving herself in a sense, as her people feared the open waters irrationally and yet she pushed on ahead. The water wouldn't hurt her, she wouldn't get swept away. Sure. She wasn't the strongest swimmer but she'd learn fastest under pressure. The water itself only came up to her elbows, not enough to make her steps unsteady and as she emerged on the other side and began to meticulously groom her coat of all the water she just looked back at him, half expectation and half exasperated. 
Like a moth to a flame
6 Posts
Ooc — Autie
He lived to start fires and get under others' skin. The warning glance she gave him proved he'd done it, and a smug grin sat comfortably on his lips as if it was a familiar expression of his. "Don't make me take you up on that challenge, Halfpint." He quipped back with a sensual rumble to his throat, a glint in his eyes. She would never know it, but he was all talk. He actually very much respected the ladies, but the most important one he'd had in his life had damaged him so badly, it may be irreparable. His brother had helped with that, but that utmost betrayal still stung, would probably always sting, and it left a truly ugly scar upon his soul.

She'd made it safely to the other side, his banter really just a cover so he could make sure she got there before heading on his way. She was reckless and headstrong, he liked that, and if anything HAD happened to her, he would have dashed right in to save her....he was a stupid softy for all his snark. "Congrats, Ember! You've proven me wrong." He bowed in acknowledgement though the whole response had just a slight edge of mockery, still treating her like a dainty princess.