gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
All Welcome 
I'm hoping for a nerd or two! :)

She was back again, seated just inside the Hyperion tree. She tipped her smudged snout into the air, smelling traces of wolves threaded into the scent of damp wood. Pondering whether to attempt tracking them, Wildfire abruptly arched to nip at an itch behind her left shoulder blade, lips peeling back from her teeth to pinch the skin until the sensation disappeared. She straightened and lifted to her feet, padding back out into the forest, eyes sweeping the towering trees.

The Bandrona followed the odor of wolves toward the coastline. It wasn't much different from the cliffs back home, though there was less rugged rockery and more smooth sand here. Her little red toes sank into it as Wildfire breathed in the bracing, salty air and scoped the stretch of beach with her chestnut eyes.
Fëafelmë
321 Posts
Ooc — Tweety Bird
Still open to fellow nerds! :D

Kalika was away from the islands and back on the coast, watching the patterns of the waves in the still of the night. A deep breath brought to her the scents of salt and another femme, though she initially wrote it off as another new recruit to their ranks. Another whiff, and it became clear that this wolfess was of a different pack; one she'd indirectly come across before. Curiousity took over and she couldn't help but to seek out the woman, wondering what her business was along the coast. Once the other was in sight, she barked out a kind greeting and drew a smile across her maw. Hello, Kalika called and settled a few yards away with her tail wagging excitedly behind her.
fury, oh fury don't you misguide me
228 Posts
Ooc — Siro
*invades* Set after this 

Akantha limped down the winding path that led from the cliffs to the beach, mindful of her feet and her waning energy reserves. Blood still caked the fur on her neck and scruff into grimy, disgusting clumps, but the worst of the bleeding had finally ceased. That didn't stop the pain, both physical and mental, from plaguing her as she made the journey back to the relative safety of the coast. Akantha winced as she slid down from the slight incline into the soft sand, her neck stinging from the puncture wounds. She was reminded of the risk she took in challenging him so far from home, but thanked Her for the strength to return to it.

The Siren Matriarch inhaled a staggering breath and, with it, the smell of wolf. She froze and her hackles rose to attention while her limbs shook. She was in no way ready to meet with strangers. They were too unpredictable and, as she learned, just as capable of violence as the Sirens themselves. Her dozen or so wounds were testiment enough to that. But the Amazon would not be cowed by the scent of wolves upon the shore that faced her islands. If she was to rule, it would be without question, not whenever her body willed it. She was their face, like it or not.

She spotted the waves of red fur belonging to the scent a few minutes later—a lone figure standing upon the beach with her gaze cast out over the expanse. To her surprise, and pleasure, Kalika appeared and, in her usual jovial self, greeted the she-wolf in a friendly fashion. Akantha lifted her head proudly, though a fresh wave of pain bloomed from the untreated wounds, and summoned a soft chuff of greeting for the pair. It was a warm sound, but her hazel eyes were sharp with suspicion as they drifted from Kalika to Wildfire. . She said nothing until she drew to a stop a comfortable distance from the duo.
Blood is running deep
Some things never sleep

Teal dialogue is Greek. Uncolored dialogue is common/english.
Check out NEREIDESpedia for more information.  
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
The sun was starting to sink low into the sky, gilding the crests of the waves that lapped at the beach. She would have to depart imminently to make it back to Drageda before proper dark. Yet Wildfire made no move to leave. She lingered, breathing in the salty, wintry air, becoming almost hypnotized by her surroundings.

Then a noise made her start and she whipped around to face an unfamiliar she-wolf with gray fur and navy eyes. The bark had sounded harsh in the silence, yet the woman's demeanor was quite friendly. She settled on the sand perhaps two meters away, tail sweeping side to side, and Wildfire regarded her warily for a beat before returning the friendly gestures.

"Hello," she said even as another, darker shape appeared in the background. The second stranger's burly figure reminded the Bandrona of her own mate. Her tongue darted out to run across her lower lip, ears flicking as she analyzed the woof and deduced it as friendly.

There was still a slight tension in Wildfire's slender body and she did not take a seat. She was small and alone, not to mention pregnant, and here were two perfect strangers who appeared at first glance to be in alignment with one another. That wasn't to say they were against her, of course, but the Bandrona remained vigilant even as she maintained a diplomat's composure.

"I'm Wildfire. I live in a pack further north along the coast. Are you two from around here...?" she queried.
Fëafelmë
321 Posts
Ooc — Tweety Bird
Kalika whined softly as Akantha approached, as if to show her appreciation for the Monarch's kind ways. Surely she would be impressed by Kalika's efforts in aiding the pack's numbers and reputation; one could only imagine the benefits this encounter might reap for the young lass! She looked to her Sister for approval, then gave Wildfire a vague answer in regards to their domain. I'm Kalika. We live near here, yes. She adjusted herself a bit, creating a more open space now that she had another's presence to make her feel protected.
228 Posts
Ooc — Siro
Akantha winced as another flare of searing pain raced up through the muscle in her neck, twinging something behind her ear. But she maintained composure—the stranger didn't present an immediate danger to either of them, and her question was innocent enough. Kalika was naturally vague with the answer and Akantha hummed a note of agreement. "We dispersed from our birthpack a few moons ago." she revealed with a flick of her ear, and motioned to the woods behind her with a sweep of her muzzle. "The woods there have sheltered us for a time, but we are still in search of a more permanent home." 

There was a time to be protective and a time to be diplomatic. This, she imagined, was the time to be a peacemaker. Or as close to it as she could manage. Akantha spared a look at Kalika, but made no move to hide it. The scent Wildfire bore was different than that of the boy, and of the loners she'd encountered so far, and was as much confirmation as any that she did, in fact, belong to a pack. Akantha smiled, "I'm Akantha, Matriarch of our small band." Her tone was warm, but her heart fluttered with anxiety and worry.
Blood is running deep
Some things never sleep

gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Before either one could make a reply, the wind shifted slightly and brought to Wildfire's nose the scent of dried blood. Her head jerked minutely in the darker wolf's direction, as the scent seemed to come from her. The Bandrona's brow knitted wonderingly, though her attention drifted back to the slightly closer of the two as she responded affirmatively. Her response was vague, though her possibly injured cohort filled in some of the blanks and Wildfire's chestnut eyes fixed on her face without making direct eye contact.

"It's nice to meet you both," Wildfire said genuinely, storing their names in a filing cabinet in the back of her mind. She couldn't help an inordinate wave of concern for the burly woman, simply because she reminded Wildfire of her own mate. She knew it wasn't her place to query about her well-being, however, so she swallowed that question and asked instead, "Do you think you'll settle somewhere nearby?" They were close enough to Drageda that Thuringwethil would certainly want to know about it, though the Bandrona couldn't say how the commander would feel about the exact distance. She would find out when she reported back.

In the meantime, it was her job to maintain diplomacy with neighbors, established or not. Although she didn't know whether the Heda was liable to make an alliance with these women, it definitely couldn't hurt to behave cordially and gather information. In exchange, she could tell them a bit about Drageda and its base on the seaside cliffs. Wildfire wondered whether they might find the proximity too close and seek a territory further down the coastline.
Fëafelmë
321 Posts
Ooc — Tweety Bird
It's nice to meet you, too, Kalika said with a slight smile on her maw. She wouldn't be the one to answer the second question, as that was more of an answer for the Matriarch. She scanned the firey femme, watching her as she looked over Akantha. It wasn't often that Kalika made an immediate bond with another woman, and Wildfire seemed of little exception. That being said, there was something about her which made for a strange attraction. Intimidated and unnerved, her tail whipped and curled around her as if to hide her willowy frame and humiliated expression.
228 Posts
Ooc — Siro
Wildfire's attention strayed from Kalika and fixated on Akantha. With the wind at her back, it was no small wonder why—she did not wither beneath the inquisitive gaze of the smaller she-wolf, but remained firmly in place despite the crippling pain in her neck and shoulders. With any luck this conversation would end before her energy lapsed, and her will-power stagnated, but she also did not want to cut it too short. The black-tailed woman knew something and if Akantha got what she wanted out of this, she would have to offer her own knowledge in return. 

The sudden, subtle shift of Kalika's demenor did not go unnoticed, but Akantha did not spare her a glance to preserve her Sister's privacy. Instead she addressed Wildfire directly, pleased that the woman knew how to hold a conversation with equals without insult. Akantha, similarly, mirrored the action and kept her eyes trained near Wildfire's wet nose. "The Islands to the northwest. We like our space, and we are most comfortable near the seas. We prefer to survive off the bounty she brings." She inhaled and tilted her head a bit to the left, leaving no room for Wildfire to interject until she finished, "Will our presence there cause unrest within your coastal pack?"

Normally Akantha would be less forward about such things, but her neck hurt and she needed to soak in the healing waters of the surf to sooth the fire burning in her torn flesh.
Blood is running deep
Some things never sleep

gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
When the words left Akantha's mouth, Wildfire's brows lifted and she glanced in that direction. She hadn't anticipated that, though the notion of living on an island intrigued her. The location begged the question, "How will you get back and forth from the mainland?" She then paused, lips pursed, then shook her head lightly. "I don't think so, though I'd be happy to consult with my commander about it. Perhaps we could arrange a meeting. I'm my pack's lead ambassador," she added in an explanatory voice, lips twitching.

"We have several soldiers in the ranks of Drageda," Wildfire continued a few beats later, "but we don't seek war. I'm sure Heda would be open to discussing an alliance or at least some sort of agreement about boundaries." The Bandrona squinted, hoping that hadn't just come off as passive/aggressive but almost certain, with each passing second, that it had somehow. She fretted a little, though she maintained a poker face and waited for Akantha's (and Kalika's) reaction before gauging what to say next.
Fëafelmë
321 Posts
Ooc — Tweety Bird
A slight furrow grew on Kalika's brow as she listened to the two leaders speak, though it faded almost as quickly as it had appeared. Rather, it was replaced with another of her famously warm smiles as she prepared to reply. Conflict is in the least of everyone's interest, I believe. It is important that we become acquaintanced. She gave a slight tilt of her head, almost like a bow, then turned back to her Matriarch to ensure that she had not overstepped any boundaries by speaking in the manner which she had.
228 Posts
Ooc — Siro
"There are ways." she alluded. There was no hiding the sandbar when the tide was low enough, but Akantha was not yet confident that Wildfire could be trusted. She wanted to believe that the russet she-wolf was speaking the truth—that she really was an Ambassador, and she did intend to set up a meeting between the two. Words, well, words were easy things to come by. Honesty, however, was harder fought between strangers and without proof she was caught uncomfortably between two possibilities.

But ah, there it was. The implication was put to words and a frown broke across her lips. A few choice words rattled in her mind, but she bit her tongue and continued to stare down her snout at Wildfire, now through slightly narrowed eyes. Kalika cut in then, saving Akantha from giving into her temper and saying something that could very well dash any hopes of an agreement between the two. One ear twisted towards the pale cloud of a she-wolf. Her chest swelled with pride at the diplomatic exchange, and she relaxed again.

Akantha closed her eyes, sucked in a ragged breath, and exhaled heavily. When she opened them again they found Kalika first where they lingered a moment, thoughtful, until she finally shifted her attention back to Wildfire. "Kalika is right." she confirmed, "We are not warmongers, but we will defend ourselves if threatened. I expect the same of any wolf—any pack." She admitted with a stiff wave of her tail. Her body language was still reserved, but far less severe. "My only intention is to keep my family safe. If your Commander wishes to discuss the terms of our settlement nearby, then I am willing to oblige." 

The Matriarch continued after a second, "But I would like to impress upon you, again, that we have no interest in your hunting grounds, nor your lands. Our only desire is to be close to the Sea." She did not go into detail, nor did she reveal the nature of their need. It simply was, and that was all Wildfire needed to know for now.
Blood is running deep
Some things never sleep

gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Kalika didn't seem bothered by Wildfire's poor phrasing, at least judging by her broad grin and upbeat words. Akantha, on the other hand, seemed to have picked up on the accidental implication. Wildfire gave herself an inward kick. She hated it when her stupid, fumbling mouth interfered with her duties. It didn't happen often, thank goodness, but she was more prone to putting her foot in her mouth than she would like, that was for sure.

"Yes, of course," Wildfire was quick to say after the matriarch had finished speaking. "I realized how that sounded only after I said it. I apologize," she added with a sheepish wave of her tail. "In any case, I'll head back now and let her know you'd like to touch base." She didn't mention it but she also wanted to duck out before she made any other faux pas.

"It was nice meeting you Akantha, Kalika. We'll be in touch," were the Bandrona's carefully chosen parting words. She dipped her smudged snout to each she-wolf in turn, then spun on a lithe heel and began heading back toward Drageda. The instant she reached the territory, she would seek out the commander and describe this conversation in excruciating detail—yes, including her own verbal misstep.
Fëafelmë
321 Posts
Ooc — Tweety Bird
Ditto, Kalika called to Wildfire as she began to leave. Then, turning to Akantha, she gave a long sigh of relief. How did I do? she asked. If she were to become an ambassador, she would need to improve her skills greatly, and her own senses told her that the encounter she'd just had was absolute shit. Still, Kalika was hopeful that Akantha would be honest and tell her both her lows and her highs.

After proposing the question, Kalika turned to leave ad began a slow trot down to the sandbar where she could cross back to the island.
228 Posts
Ooc — Siro
"Likewise." Akantha said, lacking the energy to comment further on Wildfire's faux pas, but feeling no ire towards the russet Ambassador for it. The apology was enough to smooth her feathers, so to speak, and she watches as the Drageda female turns heel and heads away from the Nereides pair with ears cupped and frame held high. It is only when Wildfire is far enough away that Akantha relaxes, releasing herself from restraint, and hisses out a whine of pain. 

Kalika's question keeps her mind focused, but she hurts. "Well enough." she rumbles as she walks gingerly beside the she-wolf, taking each step in a measured fashion, mindful to not jostle her muscles too much. "You were composed when she mentioned her warriors, offered up a solid response, and reminded me of our precarious position." Akantha explained, doing her best to keep focused on the conversation and not the fire racing across her skin. "I would have liked you to speak more," she inhaled sharply, grimacing, air hissing through her clenched teeth. "but for your first diplomatic encounter I feel you did well." 

"I need to rest in the surf for a time and speak to the Mother." 
She admitted when they crossed the sandbar back onto the isles. The tide was rapidly coming up, washing away their tracks, and any indication that the bridge existed at all. She nodded firmly, dismissing Kalika, and turning towards the direction of the cove where she often slept without another word.
Blood is running deep
Some things never sleep