Two Rivers Isle the midnight organ fight
587 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Ranger
All Welcome 
Bat was pretty bored of winter already. Sure, snow was fun, at first. The novelty had worn off by now. She was tired of feeling so cold all the time. She yearned for the days of summer. She imagined she would practically live in the lake. Maybe she would eventually turn into a fish, like her namesake. The thought made her chuckle, a burst of water vapor streaming from her muzzle and reminding her of summer's distance.

"Let's blow this Popsicle stand," she said to @Tegan, not actually paying attention to whether he'd heard or was following as she slipped and slid down from the plateau, striking northwestward. She quickly hit the shore of the nearer of the twin rivers. It was frozen and covered in a powdering of snow, with slick patches of exposed ice here and there. Bat hesitated. The river was a lot narrower and likely shallower than a lake. Maybe she could try some of the tactics she'd learned from Tzila to test the solidness of the water's glaze.
hey, motherfucker!
770 Posts
Ooc —
Ambassador
Ranger
"boom," said tegan in respond to that, who took off with his partner in crime, tail a-wagging. 

he too noticed, when they got to the rivers, the patches of ice that coated it. tegan was not as mindful of it as bat, but her caution made him question himself before he just dove right over it. his nose twitched. "you think it's safe to cross?" he asked her curiously, ears flicking. 

woo that's a dumbass short post
587 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Ranger
If she was surprised by Tegan's voice behind her, reading her mind, Bat didn't show it. "Dunno," she replied with a roll of her shoulder. "We could test it out. I met this wolf who was doing it the other day." She'd probably mentioned it to him in passing, though she couldn't remember off the top of her head. "She started by putting one paw, then another, and sort of testing her weight. If nothing happens, I think it's safe to cross."

She had been looking down at the nearest patch of slick while she spoke but her silver eyes lifted to Tegan's face. "You're heavier than me so I should test it first. If it can't hold me, it definitely won't hold you." Bat didn't want for him to express an opinion on this plan. She took a step forward, her right forepaw dangling in the air for a moment before she gingerly lowered it and, very gradually, put weight on it.
hey, motherfucker!
770 Posts
Ooc —
Ambassador
Ranger
tegan merely nodded, trusting bat enough on whatever method she heard to let her do her thang. "swag," muttered tegan thoughtfully, watching her as she began to do... the method, idk. but it wasn't until she actually made it a step out that tegan realized she was totally doing it backwards! 

"wait wait wait, pup, i should be testing it," he said, ears pressing forwards, "cause if it holds you it might not hold me -- but if it holds me it'll definitely hold you." he said, moving to use his nose and muzzle to scoop her back towards him. "besides you're my apprentice, i should be making sure you're safe or whatever..." he added, hoping she'd step back, "c'mon lemme do it instead, i don't want you hurt." 

"or wet, that sucks too."
587 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Ranger
Tegan flipped her logic back on her, then tried to coax her back onto the bank. "Fuck off," she said lightly, tossing an elbow in his direction to punctuate her words. "You're gonna make me slip, shitbreath." She had been testing out lots of colorful nicknames on him ever since her talk with Finley, though none felt quite right yet, this one included. She shot him a sideways smile, appreciative of his words, then proceeded to set her second forefoot on the ice.

Nothing happened. No cracks appeared underfoot. No ominous noises issued from the frozen water. Still, only half Bat's weight rested on it, if that. She realized she was bearing backward, her haunches slightly coiled to keep her center of gravity toward her posterior. Gradually, she shifted forward, two paws now planted firmly. She did not slip and still the ice didn't issue a single complaint.

Feeling confident and maybe even a bit daring, Bat eyeballed the distance to the bank. She gently bit down on her tongue as she deliberated. Still ignoring any protests Tegan made behind her, she bounded suddenly forward across the ice, hitting a skid just shy of halfway across.
hey, motherfucker!
770 Posts
Ooc —
Ambassador
Ranger
"fine fuck face, i'm not warming you up though," tegan retorted, all in good fun, and then sat back on his haunches as she did all her lil test thingies. whatever, he wasn't gonna stop her, she could do whatever she wanted. 

and then -- the fuck -- off she went! tegan immediately stood upright, muscles tensed as she fuckin bolted across the ice, skidding. tegan wasn't a fuckin pussy! that's for sure! and if she was skating around then god damn it he wasn't gonna sit back like a loser. 

tegan took off after her, absolutely not bothering to test the ice because... she'd already done it? duh? he went at a slightly different angle though, and skid across the ice a short distance away from her. tegan wasn't really a big dude but, a quiet crick, crick, crick sounded under his fluffy ass as he slid across the water. dumbass just gave her a bright smirk. "oops," he said in a mutter, "better be careful, i guess." good warning, tegan.
587 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Ranger
Her heart skipped several beats as she went careening. All four legs wobbled and she did her best to stay upright. But she took after her mother; grace wasn't her forte. Her left hind leg buckled and sent her into a tailspin. A loud whoop of laughter escaped her, unbidden. What a thrill!

Bat's momentum slowed quickly after one, two, two-and-a-half revolutions. She found herself about five feet from the opposite shore. She could easily leap that distance, if only she could get her footing. Still laughing, Bat tried to climb onto all fours, though it was a treacherously slippery endeavor. She fell a few times, her laughter growing harder at the ridiculousness of being trapped by her own clumsiness just feet from safety and stability.

Suddenly, Tegan was there beside her, skidding to a stop a few feet away and even closer to the shore. Bat grinned in welcome, though the soft snapping beneath him made it flicker. The laughter died in her throat. It felt like her heart stopped in her chest as her eyes met Tegan's. What began as a gentle grating noise suddenly sounded like teeth ripping through fur.

She didn't think as she lunged at him, attempting to shove Tegan toward the snowy bank even as the ice suddenly gave way beneath them with an even louder sound, like a bone being snapped in half. Bat immediately plunged into the icy water below the broken ice with a heart-wrenching cry of, "Tegan!"
hey, motherfucker!
770 Posts
Ooc —
Ambassador
Ranger
even though she looked at him with some whackass expression, tegan was glad for it. bat was young and stupid and impressionable and tegan had managed to imprint all of his dumbass ways onto her. she was like a mini tegan, but better, in that she probably had actual ambition -- tegan wouldn't admit that though. all in all, he was just glad he had a friend he could be dumb as fuck with. 

she started towards him, but a loud rumble made them both loose their face. horror drooped across tegan's as the rumble fell between them, and before he could even yell at bat, she was throwing herself into him, sending him skidding against the ice towards the bank. he heard his name, screamed out along with the sound of rushing water and cracking ice. he looked, frantically, but saw nothing. "BAT!" he screamed, scrambling to his feet to look at the hole, eyes wide and wild, panting in nervous breakdown. he searched and searched and searched and saw nothing. maybe she'd gone further downstream. the water was fast, after all. 

but even as tegan searched down the bank he saw nothing.

heard nothing.

smelled nothing.

bat was gone. 
dead

and it was his fault.
587 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Ranger
In that split second (more like nanosecond) before the frigid water closed over her head, as the scream ripped raggedly from her throat, Bat saw that Tegan was safe on the bank. Her eyes then blurred as she plunged downward, a second cry of her best friend's name bursting from her in a series of bubbles that joined the churn on the surface.

She was a good swimmer, a natural with plenty of practice to boot. But when Bat kicked upward, she bumped into a wall of solid ice. She began to kick more in her panic, scrabbling along beneath the opaque, impenetrable barrier. Bat sensed light and assumed it was the hole where she'd broken through. She thrust her legs and arrived there only to discover it must be an area of the ice where there was no snow obscuring it; pale sunlight broke through but the ice was just as impenetrable.

Although the ice was thick—she tried to bang against it, all the while screaming mutely—the current beneath it was still wild as ever. Without even being aware of it, Bat was swept downstream quickly. By the time the last breath left her lungs in a final burst of bubbles, she was half a mile beyond Tegan's reach. But she saw him, all the same, as darkness took over her vision: Tegan's face, panic-stricken, but safe.