Horizon Ridge Patience you must have, my young padawan
I hear the drums echoing tonight
238 Posts
Ooc — Koffey
training thread with @Illidan

The moon had only just dissolved beneath the waves when Embry began his trek, a tawny blot on the horizon set ablaze by the awakening sun. He wanted to get aqcuainted with the terrain before he attempted to teach another in its ways. The previous day, the man had debated whether to meet at the ridge or the bluff. One could teach corners finely, though he figured for their initial meeting they would do best in a less consequential area.

Oceanic orbs sweeped the shrapnel of aged stone with a glimmer of complacency. On the journey, he had been doubtful of his selected spot. He figured, now, that such feelings were only natural. Wind whistled through the shards of broken scree and gemstone, buffeting the large creature that now surveyed its blemished treasury. 

Beyond the strategy of sheer locale alone, Embry found that he was rather anxious to see the hooded boy again. He felt that there was much he could unearth, though it eluded him the depth. And he also believed that he had developed some sort of an esteem for the former foe.

The ursine of a wolf drew his head back and emit a sharp, throaty timbre. The sudden vibration cut smoothly into the morning stillness. Embry's brow furrowed as the note ebbed, and he set his gaze readily upon the gaping world ahead. He could only hope his first apprentice would match the fortune he foresaw.
ϟ
​I stopped an old man along the way,
hoping to find some long forgotten words or ancient melodies.
He turned to me as if to say,
"Hurry boy, it's waiting there for you".
the gunslinger
558 Posts
Ooc — Bo
thank you for whipping this up <3

the young man had healed well enough that when he had heard the summons that was carried on the seaside wind, he did not move casually to meet it… he raced.

illidan had not necessarily lacked an adult male in his growth phase. he had not forgotten the face of his father, and kavik had done well to step into a similar role after kierkegaard had passed. in spite of this, he had been reluctant to allow himself to grow close to another man. he had not been lenient in forming bonds with anyone, if he was being honest. the ghost knew what loss had done to him. illidan wasn’t prepared to endure such things again. there was a chance that he would never allow himself to grow close to another living thing.

the dark-hooded young warrior hurried for the thought that he was going to grow into the type of man that his father would have been pleased with. he was bettering himself in the ways of a fighter. time would teach him more than anything else could. embry would show him how to excel in all the ways that had wanted to.

on the ridge, illidan caught sight of the sandy male. he slowed his pace considerably to regain a good portion of his energy. when he had gotten close enough, he released a bark to show that he was nearing where embry was.
238 Posts
Ooc — Koffey
of course :D I couldn't wait

First the familiar bark and Embry snapped into reality. His steady gaze traced the horizon with what unrestrained eagerness he permit to capture his features. The suspense was painful for the wolf of the sea, who himself had only ever felt such emotion for gatherings.

He shifted in an uncharacteristically antsy way, fidgeting like the boy he used to be — the boy with family that judged, watched, and chided. Throughout his mind there paraded a silent prayer; a prayer that he might have learned from his youth. A prayer that he make out of this enigmatic boy the wolf he was destined never to be.

And when he spotted that hooded warrior, he visibly grew in height and demeanor. There had been a palpable change in the darkling: he seemed leaner and, perhaps only because the lack of injuries, sleeker, as well. Embry stood immediately and dipped his head in greeting, not dropping his gaze albeit retaining the beam of pride beneath. He hoped he had developed somewhat himself. Training along the shore had been, although primarily a device to quell his eager nerves, somewhat beneficial to his muscular tone. 

He padded forward as though to touch shoulders and he naturally played the part well. However, when he neared his companion he made a very subtle shift in his pawsteps that aligned his hips for the lurking movement. Within seconds, he had tackled the newcomer. And not only did he intend to stun the stripling, but he had also planned for the trajectory to lead them directly toward a nearby tide pool.
ϟ
the gunslinger
558 Posts
Ooc — Bo
the sand dweller moved to meet illidan halfway. it was not until they had drawn closer to each other that the young ghost realized just how quickly embry was approaching. as though it would aid him in the meeting, the young man quickened his pace to match the other brute’s. the length of his limbs allowed for him to trek across the earth with ease. even the jagged scar that had formed over the wound on his shoulder did not deter him from showing how much he had healed.

when the two forms collided, the dark-hooded ghost released a soft breath and gave way to the weight of embry’s force. he tumbled through the sand until they landed in a tidepool. the young beta did not shy away from the water that he was plunged into. instead, he embraced the touch of the salty pool. it softened the blow from the sandy warrior and provided some moderate cushion for the savage ghost.

wriggling his frame out from under the weight of the man who was set to mentor him, illidan freed himself of the grip and crawled free from the tidepool. once he had placed some space between himself and the other male, he shook his cloak free of the droplets that clung to him. the thickness of his fur swallowed the water and created a heavy drape over him. the fur along his neck and shoulders stood messily – like jagged quills.

“you don’t waste time,” he remarked with a ghostly smile.
238 Posts
Ooc — Koffey
Embry relished the moment. It gave him ample opportunity to accustom himself to the youth's full strength and leverage. He noticed a significant difference in reaction time and, perhaps, maturity of the boy. And he wasn't even fazed by the aquatic element!

Yes, Embry could tell that he would have difficulty retaining dominance now, if ever he had managed it assertively before. As soon as the two were free of their entanglement, the tawny brute blinked through watery lashes at the man facing him. His grin widened at the words.

"Bah, but time is meant to be wasted," he riposted affably. "I only like wasting it on the right things."

Embry lifted a paw and watched the droplets split from hazel strands. "Do you ever waste time?" And he laughed then. "You certainly have on telling me your name." 
ϟ
the gunslinger
558 Posts
Ooc — Bo
illidan smiled at the riposte in spite of not believing it. he didn't think that time could be wasted. how could any of them afford such a luxury? the young man had only ever seen how easily time could be swept away, and it had cast a peculiar sort of fear within him. he had no means of gaining more, but he also was not certain that he was doing anything truly productive with the surplus that he already had. surely, there was something that would more greatly benefit him. the more he thought over this, the more it had frustrated him. so, he cast it aside to focus on the company he'd found.

it was almost sudden how embry reminded him that he'd never offered his own name. the dark-hooded young man furrowed his brow and canted his head ever so slightly to the left when he had been reminded of his own folly. a thoughtful crease had made a home on the dark line of his lips before he shook his skull and breathed outward. “i'm illidan... could have sworn that i'd shared that, but we were a little occupied last time we met,” he offered with a small shrug of his lean shoulders.
238 Posts
Ooc — Koffey
Embry watched the boy. He watched the subtle imprints of thought upon his youthful features; gleaned what he could beneath his shielded exterior. He could only wonder what this boy truly thought of the entire situation, what with them being from different packs in general.

Such concerns never appeared on his amenable form however; a constancy he was hoping to maintain. The last thing Embry wanted was for the stripling to gather any doubt about his mentoring aptitude. 

"Indeed, it was not the best time for exchanging personals," he chuckled affably, though his mind was boiling over the word: Iliidan. In a that peculiar manner the world has, the hooded warrior morphed to match the name with uncanny speed.

Embry stood and shook his coat abruptly, sucking in a sharp breath as he regained a sense for the reality at present. "Now the only thing that has changed is that we will be beating up someone with a name, eh?" And he chuckled at that.

His tone, however, soon sobered. "What, do you think, is the distinction between a wolf and a warrior, Illidan?" 
ϟ
the gunslinger
558 Posts
Ooc — Bo
no, the last time they had met each other, it had been with sharp fangs and savage words. it was somewhat shocking that the two had left the run-in without some lingering animosity toward the other. illidan had felt the blow to his pride but had found a means to overcome such things by turning his adversary into a mentor. he thought it to be a rather clever thing to do. he wasn’t altogether certain what embry thought of him after their scuffle… but at least the sandy wolf had agreed to help him learn more. really, that was all that the young man needed. it wasn’t wise to wander the coast picking fights with whomever he crossed paths.

the other made a comment about how they would now be able to fight each other having shared their names. it was the only difference in their mindset for battle. he then posed a question that struck the youthful ghost in an odd sort of way. what was the distinction between a wolf and a warrior…? the dark-hooded boy’s brow furrowed tightly over his sharp yellow gaze. he thought about the query for a long moment before casting a sharp look toward embry’s sea-colored eyes.

“motivation?” illidan inquired, admittedly at a loss for what the answer could have been. see, he thought that all sorts of creatures were capable of becoming warriors. he thought only that their passion would drive them toward it and the intent they had to use it with. he knew very little outside of their kind, though. the wolves were all that he had been able to experience. the question was difficult; he did not know the answer, but he didn’t feel as though it would be appropriate not to respond.
238 Posts
Ooc — Koffey
There had been no wrong answer to the question Embry had proposed, and he knew this very well. But he also understood that how a wolf responded was telling of their mindset — something you could not easily capture by mere sight alone. He watched the boy with a light exterior, though with one that held a weighted countenance. 

Those yellow eyes pierced him. Immediately, he imagined the two as glowing lanterns even within the brightness of day. There was something feline and stark about them. 

Motivation. Embry found that he was relieved at this response. Indeed, there was a myriad of replies that might have indicated darker intentions. The last thing Embry wanted to do was plant a weed.

"Trust yourself. Stop doubting," He lifted his chin, sea-green gaze even and luminous. "Say it like you mean it." He paused to let the words sink it, then added, "When you're fighting, it is the same way. Everything you do, do it with purpose." 
ϟ
the gunslinger
558 Posts
Ooc — Bo
there was a quick response from the man who was set to teach him. embry spoke of confidence in himself when he spoke and when he fought. the related the two as though they were the same. for a moment, the young man believed every word of it. he reprimanded himself for having sounded so unsure of himself. he knew better than the be meek underneath the gaze of others. he was better than that. the longer that he found himself thinking about the lesson, the less he agreed with what embry had said to him. this had started to show in the crease of his brow and the worried frown that had formed on his dark lips.

“but fighting and speaking… they’re so different,” the ghost remarked in a graveled tone. his sharp yellow gaze shot upward to latch onto the sea coloration of his mentor’s. illidan knew that he did not posses the same power in his words as he did in his frame. he could never expect that his speaking skills would grow to be as powerful as his body. that seemed a foolish thing to think of himself.

he breathed outward and took a step forward, drawing his crown upward so that he could meet embry’s line of sight better. “i could never hope to be as clever with my words as i am in battle. speaking is… it’s not my strength,” he expanded, still frowning. little did he know that his father had lacked the same skills, and the old man had made a good life for himself even with those limitations. whether he realized it or not, he was very similar to the ashen hound.
238 Posts
Ooc — Koffey
Embry was a little surprised, at first. But he understood that ideas were often conflicting, and there were many facets to even the simplest of concepts. If anything, the fact that the boy would even muster the courage to voice these thoughts was relevant enough. Embry found that he would much rather his pupil let such feelings be known than to cradle them beneath and watch them fester.

"You can always make it your strength," his tone had softened, though it retained a sober note. "But it is good to recognize your weaknesses... Still, I wouldn't dissolve my case. There will be moments when you are fighting that you won't be given time for careful consideration. That is when I want you to remember this. You must feel that, in the end, it is your mentality that will get you through any situation."

Embry straightened, drawing a quick pocket of the morning air as he shifted. "Illidan," strong words escaped his maw. "Forget what I have said if it hinders you, but take fruit from what branches I offer. I don't intend to make this sentimental — talking is for a peaceful world."

He dipped his nose towards the nearby ridge. A bleak wind had settled upon the sparse terrain. "Now, stand at the crest of the hill over there. No matter what I do, you will retain your balance atop it, understood?" 
ϟ
the gunslinger
558 Posts
Ooc — Bo
well, if his mental state had anything to do with his capability, he felt like he might have been in some big trouble. illidan was aware that his thought processes were not the most positive. he knew that he had a very morose way of viewing the world. as embry talked about the benefits of having the capability to take pride in mental strength, illidan felt his stomach sink. as with most things, the young man acted and reacted based on the instinct that he felt in the churning of his gut.

more than anything, the ghost did not want to disappoint his mentor. he did not want to seem as though he was set in his ways – a trait his father had quite easily possessed – but that he was willing and ready to adapt under the pressure of something new. in spite of his wants, illidan was not certain of himself when it came to speaking. perhaps, in time, he would learn how to overcome such things. either that, or the young man would find a way to make his lack of words a strength in itself.

instructions were given, and the dark-hooded beast turned his head to the slope with a curious expression. his brows furrowed in thought at the task that had been presented to him. “alright,” he agreed, sure that he could manage the instruction without too much issue. prowling toward the hill, illidan climbed it and stood proudly at the top. his hawkish gaze roamed the sandy shore and rested on embry, waiting.
238 Posts
Ooc — Koffey
Embry watched the young man make his way to the crest of the ridge. Internally, his mind ravaged the past interaction; the influx of new information that further defined the budding warrior before him. He resolved that, at least, he was an obediant creature. That was all the catalyst he would need for growth.

When the masked youth was settled, Embry only stood there for a moment. "Straighten yourself," he furrowed his brow against the wind; watched that hawkish gaze for any sign of uncertainty or doubt. "Look straight ahead. Don't look at me; you don't need to see me to sense where I am." 

Embry began in a circular path towards his student, moving so that he was just in Illidan's peripherals. When he neared, however, he veered out of sight. "Now, tell me where I am in relation to you." And he made his way to the boy's right hip, where he silently stood from a few paces away.
ϟ
the gunslinger
558 Posts
Ooc — Bo
he stiffened his limbs and drew his head upward just slightly at the command to straighten himself. he did not want to reveal the weaker parts of his body by appearing as though he was confident and sturdy; illidan preferred to appear as though he couldn’t possibly do much harm, and then prove that point wrong. he did listen when he was told to look straight on. the simmering yellow of his sights was latched on the distant sea and he listened to the waves as they beat against the shoreline. he wondered if they were just as loud in the sound, or if that noise was heightened by the task he’d been given.

when embry approached, illidan still faced forward and did not flinch from his post. when the other male disappeared from his sight, his ear instinctively swiveled to follow the direction that his mentor had gone. he was asked to provide details as to where the other had ended up. the young ghost furrowed his brow slightly and frowned. how specific did he want? “you’re on the right… to the back of me,” he said evenly, though he was not entirely sure that he wasn’t wrong. it was only what his ear had told him.
238 Posts
Ooc — Koffey
Embry nodded. "Good enough."

His gaze followed the boy's to the sea. The waves crashed in frothing strips along the coastline, pulling at the man's heartstrings. He yearned to be amongst them even now, though his duty to the hooded youth beside him overshadowed such longings. 

Embry made as if to adjust himself once more adjacent to Illidan in some vital direction, but this time he stopped short. The abrupt manner in which he did this was intentionally slower than he would have done in any realistic scenario, but he wanted the boy to catch on so he was careful to begin at a fair pace. He stood a bit to the young man's left and swiped at his hind leg; all but hissed, "Stand your ground. Anticipate it." 

He hoped that the boy would begin to hear his cues and sharpen to them. Cues were everything in the theater of war, after all.
ϟ
the gunslinger
558 Posts
Ooc — Bo
the wild young man understood very little about the ‘theater of war.’ he had seen and endured real war, but he had not dirtied himself as much as others had. really, having walked away with only the gash to his shoulder was a lot less than what eurycrates had gotten from the drageda wolves. at least illidan wasn’t slurping on chum for the rest of his afterlife, as he was sure their former packmate was doing precisely that. to the young man, all that had mattered about their scuffle with the drageda horde had been that he had walked away with all of his limbs and with only the gash to his lean frame.

when embry moved away again, finding a new place for himself, illidan did what he could to listen and understand where his mentor had gone. his eyes darted once to the right, but swiftly returned to the rolling waves that seemed to stretch out for an eternity. instruction was given, and the young ghost braced himself for whatever would breach his safety zone. his limbs were taught, and his body was firm in its place as he prepared himself.

the swipe at his hind leg struck firmly and caused illidan to waver where he stood. he growled quietly in response to the pervasive feeling of almost losing his footing and sinking into the earth at his paws. instead, he only wavered slightly and gritted his teeth to see if another strike would befall him.