Heron Lake Plateau that was before they took away my hair net.
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
Private 

Liffey felt her heart thrumming with anticipation as they approached the Redhawks border. She was unaware that her parents were no longer residing there, though the lack of their scent at the borders did give her a hint. Her mind, of course, went to the worst place possible immediately. She consoled herself that they would've sent someone to let her know if anything bad had happened to them, though, so she was likely getting ahead of herself. Still, she felt anxiety tying her stomach into knots as she tilted her head back and called for them to attend her and her mate.

The Frostfur turned to tuck herself against @Rannoch's shoulder as they waited, looking off in the distance where she knew Eljay and his family were going about their daily lives. She had no idea the tragedy that had just befallen them the day previous, so she simply felt excited to see them next. Well, excited somewhere in between the worry that her parents had died. One thing at a time, though.
if I knew where I was going, I'd lose my way.
~•~
Ghost
he came and stole the wild
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch and Liffey were blissfully ignorant of all the hardships that the Redhawks and Firebirds had undergone recently. They lingered at the borders, pressed against each other as they waited. Rannoch sensed Liffey's anxiety and strived to silence her concern.

"It'll be a good time," he assured her gently; Rannoch always enjoyed the time they spent with his in-laws. He then began to comb the top of her head with his tongue, knowing how much it tended to soothe her.
a crime so old as the sky and bone
he came untied, solid as a stone
all is almost lost and it starts to show
612 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
It was hard to be anything but grim right about now -- life was a rollercoaster but this was a new sort of low, probably because it had been a thing he certainly couldn't have fixed or prevented. For once he couldn't blame himself, but he could worry for Raven. This was supposed to be the perfect spring and things had again spiraled away to realms not so nice. And some just seemed so unnecessary...

Whatever. It was probably a good thing that Quixote's usual countenance was kind of gloomy to start because his drawn and perhaps a bit world-weary expression might not be as obvious as he went to intercept the ones who called.  There was a lot on his mind, and every time he looked at Raven now he was reminded just how bad the timing of it all was. Of how little time there really was to find solutions before life made them on its own.  They had a lot of questions to work through and pile that on top of ordinary duties plus him fussing over her and the upcoming pups...

Assumedly they'd met Qui in passing in a "yo, LMK if you need anything, bye" kind of way at the very least, so it was with a little confusion that he recognised the pair who waited for them. Weren't the wolves they were here to see kinda all next door now? Well aside from Tegan that is.  No kids in tow this time either.  Hm.  What brings you two here today? Bit of a trip still, isn't it?  He didn't pull off the whole social butterfly routine well at all, but he tried because there was no point dragging everyone else on down with them.  The fact that Finley and Elwood were over at Firebirds was way old news so he was assuming they knew that too.
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Not real sure about the timeline here. Stevie’s post is dated the 24th, but Chan mentioned them arriving the 26th. Wildfire died on the 25th and that makes a big difference in Raven’s outlook. -think emoji- I’m going to go with this being on the 26th. If it doesn’t work for you guys, let me know and I’ll edit! :)

Raven’s world had faded to one of monochrome since her sister’s passing, a grey pallor falling over all that had been vibrant and alive only a mere twenty-four hours ago. She walked with numbness, seeing and feeling little in the cold nuclear winter of her grief. She couldn’t even find the tears she knew she needed to cry, so profoundly shattering was the loss of the sister she’d loved so dearly.

Her last littermate.

Nightjar’s death had been difficult, but she and he had never shared the bond that existed between the sisters. It felt like a part of her own soul had been extinguished, and not for the first time, she realized how aptly Wildfire had been named. Just as the fire had gone out in Sun Mote Copse, so it had in her heart as well.

She wandered near the borderlands of her home now — it felt even less like home now that her sister no longer lived next door — absently looking for her mate. She stumbled upon his scent and in her distraction, nearly wandered right past it without ever noticing it. Catching it at the last second, however, she had corrected course and followed it to where she now stood, looking at two ghosts from her distant past.

Normally, the sight of old friends at her doorstep would have filled the alpha female with fits of joy. Given the past day’s events, though, the best she could do was greet them with a weak smile, her dead eyes brightening somewhat as she drew up alongside her mate. She was sure they were here to see Elwood and Finley, which meant they would be traveling on to the Copse, but Raven didn’t have enough leftover sadness to spare for that fact. Everyone seemed to want to live anywhere but here, and there might have been a time when that would have bothered her. Now, she didn’t care. Let them all go, she thought listlessly, her thoughts turning with bitterness toward Phox and Towhee. If it ended up just being Quixote, the kids, and her alone, fine. It didn’t matter anymore. Nothing did.

Her mate had already asked the important question so Raven let him take the lead, remaining silent for the moment.
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
Liffey’s anxiety grew a touch when it was Quixote who appeared before them and not Elwood. She knew from their last visit that her mother had difficulties getting around, but they had both otherwise been healthy and while. She didn’t know the Redhawks’ alpha very well, but had always liked him, which is why she felt a touch of guilt over her disappointment that it was he who had come to them first.

”It is, but always a worthwhile one,” Liffey answered with a smile, ”We came to visit my parents. Are they here—“ Her question trailed off as Raven appeared. One look at the medic made Liffey’s heart plummet to her stomach. She looked at her friend, fear gripping her throat as she asked, ”Raven.. are you alright? Is everyone okay?”
~•~
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Upon Quioxte's arrival, Rannoch deferred to Liffey's lead. Although he wasn't surprised that the Redhawk's Alpha was the one to greet them, he couldn't help but wonder why they hadn't heard from Elwood or Finley. Soon after Quioxte's arrival, Raven arrived looking downright miserable. 

Rannoch's ears slicked back as he looked at her, and he echoed Liffey's sentiments directly, "Raven...?" and then looked to Quioxte, wondering if he had anything to say.
612 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Huh? What was -- oh. Quietly, Ray. He took a half step towards her, nuzzling her cheek but waffling on what to do next -- whether she wanted space or comfort or closeness or to pretend everything was fine... Let's be real, he'd ditch this border meeting in a heartbeat if she wanted him to right now. Seeing her like this was the thing that had a higher chance of breaking him. It just made him yet again feel so useless. Oh how he wished he could do more. But he was here and ready to do whatever she needed, and that's all he could think to offer.

It wasn't like she needed to be out here -- he had it handled as best he could. Sure, nothing was ideal right now, but eh. Qui wasn't going to shoo her away or anything -- if she was here then maybe she wanted to be here just a little. He gave Raven a moment to see if she wanted to answer but when she didn't he continued, as tactfully as he could be, Sorry, understatement of the year would be it's been a bad week so far. Wildfire passed away yesterday. He wasn't sure if they'd ever been close so he refrained from continuing on about her parents' location just in case. No point if it wasn't gonna be heard the first time.
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
She’d never had a very good poker face, and her inability to hide her grief was immediately noticed by Rannoch and Liffey both. She started to muster up the will to tell them the sad news, but thankfully, Quixote stepped in and spoke for her. She glanced at him gratefully. The words were still so acidic and bitter on her tongue she could hardly bear to bring herself to say them. Wildfire is dead.

”If you’re looking for your parents,” she said, a weak, thready note in her voice, ”They’re in Wildfire’s pack a few miles east of here.” She figured that was what the duo were here seeking anyway, and she didn’t have the heart to sit here and waste time. It wasn’t that she was not happy to see them — for she was — but might as well get to the real reason why they were here. If they were seeking someone else, she figured it best to send them in the right direction.
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
Her mate also noticed the somber aura around Raven and gently urged an answer from the pair. Liffey looked instinctively at Quixote, recognizing that whatever had happened, Raven didn't appear to be up to saying the words herself. Her heart and her mind scrambled to prepare her for the worst as Quixote responded, but they failed woefully to do so. She had expected the news to be about her parents, that they had been the ones lost. To hear that it was Wildfire was a complete, heartbreaking shock.

Liffey's eyes widened with disbelief at the news as tears sprang to them. She looked at Raven as though searching for confirmation, but her cousin's face had already given it. Wildfire, dead. Liffey had looked up to her fabled cousin long before ever getting to meet the girl because of the tales Fin had always told her and her siblings. When she had finally met her, it had been like meeting a celebrity. She had been so kind, so gracious. And now.

She shook her head gently, brushing away the news about her parents. They were the reason she had come, but they were hardly the priority now. "Oh, Raven," she murmured, hesitating against reaching for her out of uncertainty, "I'm so sorry. I can't believe it... What about Eljay? And.. They had kids, didn't they? How..."

She had to close her mouth as the full level of this tragedy closed in on her. She remembered talking to Eljay about Wildfire, coaching him on how to admit his feelings for her. How was it possible that her brother had only been given a few, short months of happiness before it was stolen from him?
~•~
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Quixote spoke, bearing the bad news of Wildefire's untimely passing, and grief overcame Rannoch immediately, stifling his voice for some time. 

He had not been provoked by death in some time, and he had almost forgotten the anguish that came with it. When the shock finally subsided, around the time Liffey began to fumble through her thoughts, Rannoch was reminded that he was not as isolated as he had felt. Rannoch was surrounded by those who needed his support, and he sobered emotionally at the realization. 

Rannoch would grieve later, on his own, once he had done what he needed to support them. 

"Guys, I'm so sorry for your loss," he replied quietly. "We're here for you both—whatever you all need, we can help with," he pressed against his wife then, silently communicating his support for her as well.
612 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Yeah, great thing to tell people, huh?  Screw this week.  They're over at Firebirds too.  And uh.  Yeah...  His ears flicked back a moment.  Qui wasn't exactly the best at words.  What was he expected to say?  He was bad at emotions and words, so it wasn't so great when you combined the two together.  He didn't want to speak for them, and he didn't have the vocabulary to do so to start with so opted for the obvious answer, It's hard for everyone.

He didn't know what to do for any of them.  He didn't know what either pack needed or what to do for the individuals.  Time was probably part of it, but if there was something else, he didn't know.  He hoped with a few more days trying to process this, things would become a little bit more clear, but right now it was still a hazy disaster and was pretty sure that everyone was still kind of numb about it.  He looked to Raven, partially to see if she had anything to add, partially because she was of course the one he worried the most about.
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Short because mobile posting sucks, ugh

Quixote answered again for her, and she was grateful. Later, her heart would break for the plight of Eljay and their children, now motherless. But right now, she didn't care enough about anything aside from Wildfire to comment on them. She did go as far as to say, "They're fine," although they certainly were not at that particular moment. But maybe they would be, who knew. Not sure what else to add, she remained silent, though she did spare a thankful smile to Rannoch for his words of support.
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
Quixote confirmed what Liffey had known already--that Eljay and his kids were at Firebirds, now suffering the pain of Wildfire's loss with the rest. No explanation was given as to what had happened to Wildfire, but Liffey was too consumed now to ask the question. And from the look on Raven's face, she wouldn't have wanted to provide the answer anyway. She fell silent then, not knowing what to say and too preoccupied to find any words to offer anyway. Her thoughts were with Eljay now. Much as she loved Raven and looked at her like the older sister she'd never had, she was torn between being there for her or leaving straightaway to go be there for her brother.

In the end, she merely glanced at Rannoch, then stared down at her paws, quietly fighting her tears.
~•~
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
The conversation fizzled to a standstill, and Rannoch was unsure of what to say next. As an uncomfortable silence settled between the group, Rannoch gnawed on his lower lip as his gaze bounced between the others. 

"Well," he ventured eventually, clearing his throat. "We're here to stay—if that's okay with you all." Thankfully, the proposition was not declined. Rannoch and Liffey were welcomed, and he bowed appreciatively. "Thank you," he replied, speaking for both of them. Rannoch and Liffey were then lead towards the pleateau's heartlands. Once they had been shown where they could stay, they excused themselves for some time alone as they had much to digest.