Mudminnow River east hastings
63 Posts
Ooc — Laur
All Welcome 
Slowly, he moved along the frosted edge of the river, nose to the ground, eyes feverishly searching the bubbling waters. Flashes of silver indicated fish still lived within the stream, but they moved by so fast by the time Ruvik spotted one it had flit away just as quickly. Yet he persisted, certain that if he waited long enough, his efforts would not be in vain. Patience, @Augustus had told him, was a virtue.

So he waited it out, his pacing becoming increasingly erratic as more and more fish slipped from his sight, until a large, slow moving shadow beneath the other slivers of light caught his attention. He paused, ears falling forward as he watched it intensely, waiting for the best moment to strike. Patience was always rewarded.
Ruvik is a limited consent character, which means you don't need my consent to inflict damage (anything goes — except outright killing him)!
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Kiwi hadn't roamed from the mountain as widely so recently, but this week she'd decided to go on another roam.  The search for recruits was not going well, but the itch was dying out of her paws.  Yami's return had made it abate; the rush had been to impress her, but her friend showed no signs of disappointment.  So why hurry?  Their claim was not strong but they were; they could bide their time.

That didn't mean she wasn't on the lookout.  So when she spotted the wolf by the river, walking erratically, she honed in to watch with interest.  Her eyes narrowed, and after a few moments, she couldn't contain it.  What was he trying to accomplish?

It won't work if you are moving, she said, not even bothering to introduce herself.  She stepped out into clear view, looking at him, and then at the river.  You have to stay still.  Her voice was impatient, as though she couldn't believe he didn't know, and she was explaining the obvious to a small child.  They can see the shadows and it chases them off.
Kiwi will internalize lies and twist things to her benefit until this becomes her reality.  Her thoughts are not my own <3
63 Posts
Ooc — Laur
"It won't work if you are moving."

The voice came out of nowhere, and Ruvik's attention immediately leapt from the river to behind him, whipping his head around so fast he nearly sprained it. There stood a woman with a dark coat and a critical gaze, speaking with the authority of someone three times her size. Her suggestion of needing to stay still may as well have fallen on deaf ears as Ruvik backed away from the bank, his tail curling between his legs.

It took a few seconds to register, but it finally dawned on him that, despite her harsh tone, it seemed she was actually giving him advice. After staring at her blankly for several moments, he looked to the river again thoughtfully. They could see the shadows. "P-patience," he uttered, looking back to her as if seeking approval.
Ruvik is a limited consent character, which means you don't need my consent to inflict damage (anything goes — except outright killing him)!
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Kiwi snorted out a quick, nasty little laugh at Ruvik's response to her.  He was quite the warrior, wasn't he?  Fierce hunter, to allow himself to be startled by a wolf who was not even trying to be subtle.  It allowed her to laud herself even more, if possible; she latched onto that weakness, took it, and it gave her even more ground to stand on over him.

That doubled as he responded.  Stuttering, hesitant.  Patience, yes.  What's wrong with you?  She asked, baldly, outright.  She knew this would elicit one of two responses... more hesitation or anger.  Either was interesting to her.
Kiwi will internalize lies and twist things to her benefit until this becomes her reality.  Her thoughts are not my own <3
63 Posts
Ooc — Laur
She commanded respect in a different way to Augustus. Where the man was warm and gentle, almost fatherly in the way he led (at least to Ruvik who had fallen well under the cult leader's spell), the woman before him struck fear into his heart. So very different, yet he would submit to her all the same.

His hind lowered to the ground, Ruvik glanced once at her stern features before turning to the river again, licking his lips nervously. "Au-Augustus taught Ruvik p-patience," he said, as if that explained his answer any. "You...fish?" he added after, looking back to her.
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He submitted and she felt that familiar satisfaction soothe.  He knew his place... this was good.  It was a mix of approval and pity, of course, but it allowed her to relax some.

Obviously he did not teach you well, she cut back haughtily.  But she stepped forwards, towards him and the stream.  Of course I do.  But I want to see you try it again.  She'd had an idea, a way to play with this wolf.  So she circled around, to the side on the stream, and remained there.  As she did, she watched, waiting to see if he would demonstrate.
63 Posts
Ooc — Laur
Her sharp retort caused a flicker of panic to spark within his chest, as if her very words would summon the cult leader and the fearsome cougar, and they would tear into them both for daring to disrespect his teachings. However, this did not happen, and instead the woman strode forwards, urging him to try again, before moving to the opposing banks.

Ruvik stared back blankly back at her for a moment, before he looked to the stream. Well, he couldn't just deny her, what if she really was trying to help? The boy swallowed the lump in his throat, before he nervously skittered to the edge of the river once more. "O-okay," he breathed, looking into the waters. There were flashes of silver, still, flitting past and catching the light here and there, each and every one catching his attention, calling out.

Ruvik's eyes bounced back and forth, entranced for a minute, before he clumsily flung out a paw to swipe at no fish in particular, having cracked under the pressure of his company's harsh gaze.
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Useless.  She watched as he timidly agreed and took up his position, but did absolutely nothing that she'd said.  Instead this attempt looked worse than any she'd ever seen.  Well, there went that idea.

This was boring.  A wicked thought crossed her mind, and without really going over it, she lunged for the poor boy.  As she did so, she issued a sharp, growling roar.  

Seeing him fall into the river would be pretty funny.  She doubted he'd fight... nothing she'd seen so far gave any sign of a backbone.