Jade Fern Grove Hey punk, I don't need a weapon to kill you
244 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
All Welcome 
He wandered to the forest again. His jaunts had been a little less frequent now that his mom had given birth to his younger siblings. Kaertok probably still weirded him out, so though he didn't leave the territory much, he kept away when that guy was there. He'd still bring food, just might delay it a little.

Still. He needed to learn a few things, and neither of them were going to be that great for teaching them, so after a couple of hushed whispers to himself hoping for some sort of luck, he'd voyaged on back to the forest. Daytime this time. Maybe he could find some new recruit. Another healer, or just someone cool that maybe mom or Kaertok would approve of. Something simple like that. He trotted along, ears rotating at every song, bird or no, and nose twitching for an unfamiliar scent.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
It had been strange to not see Aphrodite for a while. He had largely been her shadow for the last couple of weeks, at her frequent request. He'd been around for her every desire and whim, and they had developed a very trusting and honest relationship. Though there were moments he could tell she might be interested in...well, more, he didn't know what to do with that information. Taikon was not in a place that he believed he was even capable of giving more of himself to another person.
Beyond that, there was something else that was bothering him about her, but he couldn't place it.
With the morning free from her and Juniper occupied by some grand healing lesson, he was sure, Taikon was able to leave early in the day and venture outside of the Stream to wherever he so pleased. What he was meant to do with this time to himself, he wasn't sure, but nonetheless he went to the grove to find some peace.
The white wolf wasn't there for long at all before a familiar smell came to him. At first, he had trouble placing it as he followed behind, but when the young man came into view, there was no mistaking him. Spook, he greeted. It was a lot less awkward; they weren't standing in the middle of a dark forest at an ungodly hour, and he wasn't busy with a meal. How's it going? Taikon asked, his tail waving in a shallow movement as a friendly gesture.
relatively thin from illness (Apr 13, 2020)
244 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Sorry for the delay!

For Taikon maybe it was less awkward, but for Spook it was still kind of, well, questionable. A familiar voice, a familiar figure, but at the same time terrifying. But it was easy for things to be terrifying to Spook -- he was just of this nervous disposition that he had yet to grow out of. Would he? Maybe. Maybe not. He was still young. Time would tell.

There was that flash as Spook recognized him, the attentive prick forward of his ears, momentary tension that only increased because yeah, he did kind of freak the yearling out,  remember? Apparently Taikon was still around, obviously. Was that a good thing, bad thing? Not sure yet. But he hadn't been alone recently? Hm. That confused him a little. Um. Hi again, yeah. You're um. Still around here then? He was sort of wondering if the guy was gonna suddenly go off again about packs being bad or something? Or just that generally kinda creepy way he'd done before, but this time about something else?
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Spook was, well, spooked. Taikon's lips flicked in a brief show of empathy for the young wolf. He didn't seem exactly pleased that the white wolf was indeed still about and active. He couldn't be blamed, of course. The talkative lone wolf had not presented much in the way of warmth or even safety for the black and white boy. Taikon nodded, blinking a few times, trying to figure out how to explain.
Yeah I.. Well I guess you could say I was 'converted', he said. Actually, uh, have you seen a woman with a copper face and blue eyes, just out of curiosity? Taikon wanted to explain what had happened further, not that it was that interesting of a story, but finding Aphrodite was much more important. An image of her popped into his head, and he looked at the boy pleadingly, hoping he had indeed seen the converter in question.
244 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Converted? He was a little confused but it was said more of an aside, blinking once or twice and squinting. Then about was when he noticed the guy smelled like he wasn't totally alone. He didn't really know anyone from Whitebark. The pack scent to him was more this weird abstract -- it was just some group of people, it didn't mean anything to him beyond that. In a weird way, it made him trust the guy less. He'd seemed so weirdly set on his opinions so how did that change?

But he didn't get to question it more than that, Umm. I don't think so? Nobody comes to mind. I've run into a lot of guys. So that kind of narrowed things a lot. Is it someone dangerous? Of course Spook's first thought would be danger. Or um. What? Then again, with who he was talking to here, he wasn't sure if they agreed on the definition of danger anyway.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Taikon realized as the black and white boy spoke that leaving out details had not been the best idea. The assumption was that the person he searched for was a threat, and that was as far from the truth as possible. He was, however, quite worried that she had come across some overzealous member of the Saints who had decided to hurt her. The very thought made his lip tremble. No, no, he clarified, Her name is Aphrodite; she went missing a couple days ago and I'm starting to get worried.
Unlike Taikon, it was unlike the healer to run off on her own for days at a time. She didn't have the same love for travel and discovery. Her movements were strictly related to the business of medicine and caring for others. She brought me to live with her at Whitebark Stream; I... well there are a lot of shady characters about, he said, brow furrowing in concern. Taikon owed the healer a lot, he felt, and wanted to make sure she was okay. It hadn't been long, so he was probably just over-worrying.
244 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Not a bad person. His ears twitched in some further confusion. So then someone important? Normal? Something. Oh. Well. Um. I don't think I've seen her. But I've been home a lot too. Hopefully she hasn't gone far then. A couple of days wouldn't be too much distance, was it? Spook couldn't really offer too much more than that.

He seemed fairly certain in his assumption, Ursus? That's what he assumed at least. They were the troublemakers as far as Spook was concerned. If there were others, they hadn't darkened Legion's doors. That was a good thing, wasn't it? He assumed so. But then again he was also one who would probably prefer to live in ignorance.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Hopefully, Taikon nodded, looking beyond Spook and wondering where she might be. She hadn't been gone very long, but it was still quite unlike her to be alone for lengthy periods. She was very much an "other" oriented person. Still, he wasn't terribly worried yet; it was just odd.
Well, sure, but I've also heard that that cur Donovan is gathering a band of rogues, he growled. The prince wasn't sure what would come of that, but the thought of that wretch holding any amount of power over others was not something he liked the idea of. But, well surely it will be fine, he followed. He wasn't sure if Spook was familiar with Donovan and any of that nonsense, but didn't want to further scare him. So what's new with you? Care to take a walk? He knew that the two-toned young male was still quite wary. It was clear now that this was just how he functioned, so Taikon didn't take it personally.
244 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
He wasn't sure there was more he could say about Aphrodite. Things would probably sound really lame. So in a way it was good that conversation moved on. Then again, what was said next was a whole different distraction. Um, Donovan?? Yeah that wasn't a name that Spook had heard of at all, but oh yeah did he say it in a wary way. What was he talking about? Considering Spook was out wandering around more than most of his family it would kind of be important (to him at least) to know if something was going on, you know! And Taikon was just gonna gloss over it? But..! 

He tried to go with the change of conversation, mixed bag there, Um. I guess? Where would they be walking? Why? What about that Donovan guy? I've just been doing stuff for my mom and things like that. He didn't live a very exciting existence. And now just looking for people again I guess. He didn't move to take a step or anything though, Spook was a follower.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
The boy stumbled over giving his own little report on things in his world. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to him. He wondered briefly what sort of things Spook meant he was helping his mother with. He also didn't know what the boy meant by "looking for people," but supposed that perhaps he meant recruits for the pack or maybe even missing persons. The young male spoke in questions, unsure of just about everything he said. Taikon started walking as he listened to these words.
People? Anyone in particular? Taikon failed to catch the fact that Spook was as yet unaware of Donovan or the potential threat that he posed. He glanced to see if the boy would follow, hoping that after some time, he might even learn how to relax.
244 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Really? He was just letting it drop? Oh dear. Was it something he was just supposed to know? Like an expectation of some major thing? But if he dwelled on it too long he wasn't going to be able to focus on the rest of the conversation. And who could he ask for more information? He wasn't sure. He didn't like the giant gap it left as well. It was like punching a hole in a castle wall and now he knew it was there.

But Taikon had moved forward. Spook's ears rotated around, swiveling indecisively. But he did follow, light steps, like a much smaller wolf than the tall young man he was. Careful, cautious as always. Um. I dunno. Just people. People that might be good with the pack and stuff. But there's a lot out there. And uh, people are all different. Or should he be saying he was looking for people in particular? He still wasn't sure what to think of Taikon -- seemed to hate packs but then joined a pack, reacted weird.. The whole thing. And Spook was just plain not good at explaining himself, so that probably didn't help.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Spook seemed to confirm Taikon's assumption that he was on the hunt for new recruits. He wondered if perhaps the boy's pack wasn't particularly strong in numbers. That, or maybe his mother just needed him to be doing something that wasn't farting around his home territory all day every day. It was anyone's guess, but no matter. That's true, everyone has different sets of skills. I would imagine those who know how to fight would be the most valuable right now, since Ursus exists and...
Taikon cut himself off, stepping slowly to match with the boy's pace. He thought for a moment, and continued. I am rather worried that this Donovan creature will become more of a threat. He hurt a friend a while ago and I can't imagine these rogues he's gathering want a peaceful coexistence, he explained, the fur along his nape rising angrily.
He looked at the two-toned boy, frowning. He hoped that it would be possible for both their packs to recruit those who would be able to defend their borders, and, if need be, go after the problem itself. Taikon hadn't even sparred in a long time. Though he was once considered a fair warrior among the Farukans, he did not think this was something that stuck with you after years of neglecting practice.
244 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Should he be trying even harder to find mercenary sorts? The way Taikon was talking, it sounded that way. Yikes. Spook wouldn't know what would really make a good fighter. Hopefully if he did find one, he could point them at Arbiter quick or there would be something more obvious. I know my mom would like more fighters in general. She likes that. Those were the people she seemed to always be able to understand. And was probably why Spook didn't exactly get treated like a little prince or anything. He had to prove himself, always.

Well that was obviously no good news. It wasn't much to go on though -- mysterious bad guy. Um. I don't think we've ever met a Donovan. But it sounded like somewhere out there was another monster. With limited information, he had to wonder if they were somehow associated with Ursus. Ursus-like, at least. But maybe they were somehow far enough away in the Bypass that they weren't in danger? Uhh. It didn't make too much sense because Whitebark was right next door, as far as Spook knew.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
As the boy mentioned that indeed his mother would prefer more fighters, Taikon continued to think about his lack of physical ability. Perhaps sparring more often with those of Whitebark would be beneficial. If not to prepare them for potential attacks, it would always be good to keep him and others in the best physical condition. Surely he would improve quickly given his past training in matters of fighting. By no means had he ever felt gifted in any way, but it was mostly a matter of technique and practice.
Spook mentioned that his pack had never heard of Donovan, and at this Taikon nodded rather solemnly. Hopefully it stays that way, he said, dipping his head. He didn't know what the future held. He had hoped that with Aphrodite he could find some form of peace from his ever-tormenting memories. She was gifted as both a healer of wounds and trauma. He.. wanted to be rid of his misery.
Where are you and your family located anyway? I don't remember if you said, he said as he realized this. He didn't really remember much of the night that they had met other than it starting awkward and ending oddly.
244 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
If Spook was his mother he probably would have smacked the guy and ripped the information out of him. But this was Spook, so instead he was mentally still falling about but afraid to ask why. Afraid to demand. He should know. But Taikon's initial behavior had been enough to make him wary to not push his limits. What if it was another hidden button that'd cause some particularly violent response? Well. That wasn't Spook's jam.

He almost said something, even opened his mouth a little, then changed his mind. Probably good, because the next question was much easier for him to answer without feeling like he was walking through a forest of beartraps. Right nearby. Um. The bypass, it's like the two mountains with the lake in the middle. Noctisardor Bypass. That was the best description he had at least. It wasn't a singular feature, but it was definitely distinct.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
From the exterior, Taikon had grown rather obsessed with Donovan despite having never met him. He didn't even know what the brute looked like. Something about having a common enemy had hyper-focused the white prince onto this one rogue that he knew very little about. He almost didn't have anything else to talk about.
Spook described his homelands, and Taikon looked toward the bypass, somehow not realizing that the pack boundaries were remarkably close to Whitebark Stream. He had never bothered to investigate the rock formation — one of its faces bordered their pack, but apparently there was a nice little area nestled beyond. I never would have guessed such a place was in there. I thought it was just one mountain with two peaks. He felt stupid after saying it.
244 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
He was still trying to figure out whether he should ask more about Donovan. But at least he'd be able to pass the name along to his mother -- hopefully they wouldn't have to worry about it. But it was forging all sorts of monsters in the back of his mind. It certainly wasn't giving any confidence to his steps.

Still, silence was more awkward than anything, so he babbled to keep things going, unsure if he'd said what he was about to say before or not, That's where we've been since.. Um. Winter. It's nice. Out of the way. We were in a forest right next to Easthollow before but moved because of the famine. It felt like ages ago now. That had been just last year though. Time flew, apparently. And he wasn't in a place to argue about going back either. This was home now, because his mother said so.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Famine? The question was honest. Taikon hadn't experienced a famine. It must have happened in the area long before he had found his way to the area. Taikon wondered if the boy had still been small when that had happened or if they the famine had happened during the winter he'd mentioned.
Did anyone figure out why it happened? The white wolf asked partially for selfish reasons. He wanted to know if such a thing could ever possibly happen again. The Farukans had long preached that it was overharvesting alone that caused such foot shortages, but Taikon guessed that sometimes these these just happened. As much as his family had liked to assume there was a logical explanation for everything, sometimes there just..wasn't.
244 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Oh, now for once Spook had the upper hand? Maybe. But he still wasn't sure what to do about that tidbit about Donovan. The famine was history, so why bother? Or at least it didn't seem so dire now. Maybe it still was -- as some sort of threat for the future. 

He was young, so it wasn't like he was going to have all the answers... And that was about the time things started to go south in his life -- when his father and brother had disappeared. Sure, he might have answers about what happened to them now, but he didn't like said answers at all. Still, Spook was more certain about what he was saying in this aspect than certain things before, The earth shook and that kept going for a while. Most of the prey ran off to I dunno where. One of the mountains north of here was smoking. It still does sometimes I think, but only a little. A pause before he continued, Why that happened, I don't know. But stuff is at least normal now. Normalish? Spook had grown up in plenty odd times. This was supposed to be normal, right? Hopefully.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Taikon tried to imagine what it might feel like to have the earth shake. He thought it might be like when a wolf tackled you hard to the ground and moved your scruff back and forth, but this didn't seem like it would be accurate. The prince had never experienced such an event before.
However, he had seen one smoking mountain before. They were extremely dangerous when they became this way. The dry season in particular could be bad for such things. Lots of mountains could smoke at once, and that often spelled disaster for the animals that lived there. Taikon had assumed that it was wildfires that Spook meant.
That sounds frightening, he said, making a face like someone had clamped something onto his face and it hurt. Things are normal except the people around us I suppose. He smiled glumly at the boy, knowing well the younger male wouldn't be impressed. A breathy laugh escaped him and he continued walking, knowing Spook probably wouldn't find the humour in any of it.
244 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Disjointed posts go!

If he'd known Taikon was thinking of wildfires, Spook would have corrected him. However, not being able to read minds, he couldn't. I dunno. It seems weird now. I didn't know any better really. I guess. And it feels like forever ago now. Like half his life. Or something. A home ago. A missing dad ago.

The world was strange and it was cruel. There wasn't anything a single wolf out there The people out there, was his quiet correction. His family was fine. Fine-ish. He still didn't really like Kaertok but there wasn't anything Warlock could do about it. He was higher ranked and his mom needed the guy. Apparently. Has it been mentioned he wasn't a fan? But he was ok with his actual family. And friends like Pheiros.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Disjointed no more!
It was clear that a lot had happened since the famine that Spook was talking about. Taikon felt a bit bad about dredging up old memories. The prince knew firsthand that thinking about how things used to be could be a very painful experience. Spook seemed to be no worse for wear, though.
Yes, exactly, he answered to the revision. The people out there were what most worried him. He wasn't sure what to expect. I should go. If you see Aphrodite, please let us know, he said. She hadn't been missing for very long, so Taikon was confident she had just gone gallivanting somewhere. Still, it was unusual for her to do this without telling anyone, and there were untrustworthy sorts about.
With that, he gave a brief nod and moved off toward Whitebark. Once again, it was difficult to figure out what the boy thought of him.
244 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
He still didn't really know what had gone on. Just this mention of Donovan and someone was missing and... Yeah. That was about it. Spook was too awkward to really ask for more details, though he really should have. Maybe he'd have a chance to do so at some later date, but that wasn't today.

And apparently Taikon was done with his search out here at least. Spook should probably head home soon too, honestly. He could mention this all to his mom at least. Maybe she'd have a better idea. Honestly, he was far more likely to get chewed out by her for not asking more questions. The information had definitely leaned in Taikon's favor. Still, the youth nodded, Okay. I will. He kept going his own way.