Neverwinter Forest fairydust
101 Posts
Ooc — suledin
I understand why you did it; I can't say I was like you as a child — I was never so adventurous — but I knew what it was to have desires. Mine was to help others, Her gaze turns to Nuala, speech halting for a moment to let it sink in. I wanted to be a medic — someone who heals ills and wounds with herbs. I had a mentor, but I was not allowed to aid my friends and family alone when I saw them hurt or sick. It seemed unfair, to have to wait for an adult when I knew perfectly well that I could do the job myself — so that is exactly what I did. She resists the urge to smile as she calls the memory to mind, knowing the outcome could have been far worse than it was — but it was a harmless mistake in the end, something she might laugh about with friends. For Nuala, however, it is meant as a lesson.
My friend complained of a stomach ache — a simple thing with a simple cure, a certain type of berry found in abundance near where we lived. I found the remedy and gave them to her with confidence, knowing I could cure her — but the berries had the opposite effect. My friend threw up all day and all night, and we were both so terribly full of guilt that we didn't seek an adult until the next morning. She seemed deathly ill by then, and I was distraught. Truly, she'd thought her friend might die; in truth, the dehydration had simply made her look corpselike to Aibreann's childish mind. My mentor spent the day treating her, and took me aside later. He explained to me that my friend had simply eaten a meal slightly too old, that he'd intended to let the symptoms run their course. My interference had caused her decline; the berries had slowed her body's process of expelling the toxins, and had made her far more sick than she might have been originally. I might have known this, had my mentor been there to guide me — and now, after time gaining experience and learning, I do know such things. I have the freedom I craved — but first I had to work for it, to learn how to achieve it from those who had already done the work. The world is full of things much more dangerous than berries, and I will not have my children roaming it with no knowledge of how to fend for themselves. I will teach you, if that is what you want; I can show you how to find your way home, how to find food, how to avoid those who might do harm to you — and your father can as well, or Simmik, a loyal friend of ours. If you would learn how to defend yourself, I can find you a teacher. But please, do not try to do these things alone; you have much to learn, and many teachers who would like nothing more than to see you achieve that freedom.
Messages In This Thread
fairydust - by Aibreann - October 20, 2020, 03:56 PM
RE: fairydust - by Nuala - October 20, 2020, 04:36 PM
RE: fairydust - by Aibreann - October 20, 2020, 05:16 PM
RE: fairydust - by Nuala - October 20, 2020, 06:06 PM
RE: fairydust - by Aibreann - October 20, 2020, 07:01 PM
RE: fairydust - by Nuala - October 20, 2020, 09:06 PM
RE: fairydust - by Aibreann - October 29, 2020, 01:51 AM