Boartusk Heights Atarashī
37 Posts
Ooc — Teo
All Welcome 
It was midday and Haru was already exhausted.

The lean figure followed a path along the mountain, careful not to allow it to lead him too high. He knew he wouldn’t like the journey down and that it was unlikely he’d find anything up there worth his time. As he had climbed to that point, Haru had wondered why he bothered venturing that far at all.

The thief’s riverstone gaze scanned the horizon with a sigh through his nose. He’d hunt if he could motivate himself. The thought of chasing prey along the wild range of unfamiliar territory was unappealing, even though his stomach lurched with hunger.

Haru decided to press on, instead.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Speedy hadn't been back long. She was eaten up with guilt over leaving her daughter with Rivenwood for so long, but she had been in a difficult position—one she would explain to Malila. She wished more than anything for her daughter to forgive her, but she would understand if she couldn't. She had every right to be angry with Speedy. 

So the empath's heart and mind were heavy as she made her way across the mountain. She had not intended to enter the wilds here, and now it would take her even longer to find Malila. 

The fresh scent of another caught her attention. There was once a time when she would have happily greeted the stranger but life and experience had made her weary and a bit reluctant to trust anyone she didn't know. Still, she continued on, but she was cautious and watchful.
37 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Bless your heart for grabbing this. <3

It wasn’t the shift in the wind that allowed him to notice her, but the light scattering of stones underfoot. Haru turned his attention toward the figure of a sunlit gold wolf who prowled along the mountain.

The thief gazed at her for a short while. His dark eyes followed each step of her paws until she had drifted out of his line of sight and behind tall stones. Sawamura wasn’t certain he wanted to chance another meeting with a stranger. The last had not gone well. Hunger still gnawed at his stomach, and it rumbled to remind him that he couldn’t trek forever. He would have to stop to eat at some point.

The slim coyote trotted in the direction of the gold wolf. His narrow gaze searched the rocks for where she might appear. Knowing that he would not want to track or follow her, Haru drew his muzzle up and yipped out a greeting. The man’s black-tipped ears stood tall and scanned the stones for signs of the wolf.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
<3

His scent lingered even as she continued to make her way across stone and dirt. She couldn't shake the feeling that she was being watched, and she wondered if her feeling was right, and her watcher was the bearer of the scent still in her nose. 

She was on high alert, so the yip made her jump, and she spun around to see first the black tips of ears—they stood out most against the greys and browns of the mountain. She moved back a little in the direction from where she had come. And when the cliff lowered, she saw the coyote. He was about her size, which furthered her assumption that he was coyote.

Still watchful, she dipped her head in greeting. For now, she couldn't feel anything nefarious from him. Hello, she finally said. I'm only passing through, the healer added. I mean no harm. She hoped only to travel without any conflict.
37 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The figure had stopped and Haru drew closer to where she stood, finding that her size was not quite so large as he had believed it to be. Her features were slim and golden. She was a smaller wolf, but she appeared to be healthy and friendly. At least, her first words to him were that she meant no harm and was only passing through. The thief wondered if she believed he owned the place.

Oh yeah, yeah, no problem. I don’t mean no harm, either, Haru said to her with a lazy smile and a heavy-lidded stare. He nodded his head a few times, making it known that he was a relatively easy-going guy, and she didn’t have much of a reason to be wary.

I was only hungry, see, just lookin for a bite to eat. Ya from around here?

Sawamura’s riverstone gaze searched her figure. She looked as though she’d traveled for a short while and he could only wonder if she was a newcomer, same as he was. Better yet, if this lady knew anyone who had a place in the area, the thief was certain he’d be willing to follow her there.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
His body language seemed mostly relaxed as he offered her a smile and stated he was passing through as well. His reason was different than hers. She wondered if it was more difficult for lone coyotes to hunt than lone wolves. Maybe it just depended on the coyote as is it did for her own kind. 

His question had a complicated answer. I used to live here, she told him. Now I'm back to find someone. They should be with a pack on the otherside of the mountains east of here. So not anywhere close to here. 

But, she felt for the stranger. The healer could tell he was in need of a good meal even if he hadn't just told her. My name is Speedy, she said after a moment. You're welcome to travel with me; I can help you hunt. Maybe she was being too trusting, but she had never been able to resist helping someone if she was able to.
37 Posts
Ooc — Teo
So, she’d been a resident of the area once upon a time. Haru liked the sound of that. He could at least rely on her to know her way around the worst bits of it. He wondered if she would have any luck locating the person she was looking for. The thief had never been a very good finder, so to speak. He was more prone to taking advantage of the pleasant happenstance. Serendipity was the rogue’s friend.

Speedy, that’s a fun one, huh? Yer pretty fast then?

Sawamura laughed a little. His lazy grin stretched some.

I’m Haru. I’d be real pleased to go along with ya for a bit, yes I would.

The coyote bobbed his head pleasantly, grateful for the company. He wondered if she would be able to get them something nice to eat, something big. The thief figured he’d buy his time and see how things played out. She appeared nice enough.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
The comment on her name was one heard many times before now. Speedy mustered a smile, though it wasn't filled with the brightness it once was. Too much had happened. Too many mistakes were made. Because of this, she hardly ever had the energy to be as friendly as she once was. The urge to help others was still there; it was a part of who she was, and so she was not surprised. 

It's nice to meet you, Haru, she offered. I was trying to find a way down from the mountains, into the valley below, she explained. We can find you something to eat on the way. I'm sure there will be something.
37 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Speedy explained that she was working to make her way to the valley below the mountain range. To Haru, it sounded like a great deal of trekking and exerting. He figured that he’d strapped himself in for the ride by agreeing prematurely, so there was no real use in trying to sneak away. Besides, if he found a place to nap and she stumbled on him again…

Sounds real good, Haru said with a crooked smile.

You got family or something in the valley?

It was small talk, but it kept the silence filled and would give him a good idea if it was wise to continue leeching off Speedy. She was pleasant to him, but what if she sought out members of a different sort? Was it not a conman’s job to lure their prey unexpectedly? Truth be told, the mention of food was motivation enough.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Haru asked if she had family. Yes—well I did before I left. I had a daughter in a pack on the other side of those mountains. She pointed her nose to the distant peaks they could just see in the distance. I don't know if she is still there, but I have to check. Her tone was filled with the soul-deep sadness that weighed down on her every second of every day. She was never very good at hiding her feelings; her sadness was so heavy and so common that she no longer even tried. 

What about you? she asked, mustering up a half-hearted smile. Maybe he had a happier past than she did.
37 Posts
Ooc — Teo
A daughter? Shoo- you don’t look like yer old enough to have a kid, miss.

Speedy sure had a spry step for having popped out a whole child. Haru had seen the tired work of mothers. He did not envy it. It seemed that she was intent on seeking her daughter out. The thief wondered if his mom would have been the type to do something like that, if she’d been alive long enough.

I’m new to these parts. Dunno much about anything out here, he answered her question with a shrug. Who knows though. Might find something worth staying for. A half smile pulled at the left side of his face.