Otter Creek Bennu
Akashingo
NPC
74 Posts
Ooc — Teo
All Welcome 
The deer scent had carried him across the stretch of ground surrounding the mesa, east toward the mountain range that jutted imposingly from north to south. The hunter had tracked the deer prints and had tasted the faintest scent of their small herd. He had hoped that he would stumble in on their sleeping quarters and that he might surprise any that sought to bed down.

At the creek, Bayek stepped into the water until it sloshed to his forearms. He bent and drank until he thought his belly might burst. The tightness held him there for a few minutes before he waded out of the creek and shook his coat. The Mazoi could hear birds chirping in the trees overhead.

The scent of deer could not be found. Bayek huffed, disappointed.
83 Posts
Ooc —
down the mountainside to the fresh water. if any had asked, it was an extended patrol. a scouting trip. tierra had mentioned something about playing hookie once, and while that was not exactly what she was doing, perhaps it fit.

but here was a man.

not of mereo, not of any place she knew directly. sloshing in the cold water like a swimmer. emerging with the build of a worker. perhaps she gazed too long upon him to pick apart these things. either way —

heading into the bit-too-cold-to-swim season, aren't we?
Akashingo
NPC
74 Posts
Ooc — Teo
A woman’s voice called out to him, teasing in her tones. The man wondered if she had been lured to the edge of the water by the scent of deer, too. Amethyst eyes were trained on the terrain in the distance. It would be easy for the deer to cross the flat terrain. In the trees, there were more places to ambush the herd and snare a weaker or slower target.

It is much too cold for many things, I think, Bayek answered her.

Siwa had been a place of warmth and sands and sunlight. Even winters did not bring snow. They only shifted the dry air to a sharp, frigidness. Frost would collect on the foliage. The Mazoi man would have traded their terrain for that familiarity.

Did you smell the deer?
83 Posts
Ooc —
now what did that mean, riddler?

only she had little time to figure out with the way deer were mentioned. mmm, can't say so. a soft shrug of narrow shoulders. but i'm more of a fisher anyway.

and she was meant to be a soldier too, but that mattered less the further from mereo she was, she figured.

you hungry?
Akashingo
NPC
74 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The man frowned, curious. She had not scented the deer. Bayek wondered if he had mistaken the smell for fantasy – hunting far from the land of his birth would offer new prey. He had seen the deer traveling in herds but had no way to bring them down on his own. It wet his mouth to think of how much meat they carried on their bodies.

The woman asked if he was hungry, boasting that she was a fisher. Amethyst eyes studied her expression. She was earnest in her words, from what he could tell. Bayek wondered what she might like in exchange for her skills.

I am. Are you offering to fish? What might you ask in exchange?

Bayek lifted his head, tail wavering faintly.
83 Posts
Ooc —
uhhh. shit.

she had not expected an actual exchange to happen between them. she had figured maybe she could...woo him a little and return home to tell tierra the tale. mainly because that was what her life had become. going out to do shit and telling tierra about it — if the girl hadn't tagged along.

well, what's being offered? i could ask for anything i wanted i guess, but i don't feel like putting you on the spot too much.
Akashingo
NPC
74 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The Medjay faltered, only for a moment.

Bayek did not know what he could offer this woman that she could not manage on her own. She likely had better experience hunting the unfamiliar terrain than he did. Siwa could not compare to the diversity of the Teekon Wilds. It was a beautiful place, but it would take some time before the earthy wolf had grown comfortable with its unpredictability.

I am afraid there is not much to offer. I could tell you of Amun, or perhaps Bastet. Bayek thought that the goddess of protection and good health would make for good knowledge. He knew little about faith in the new lands. Pharaoh Ramesses was pious enough to keep the Medjay humbled and dutiful to him.

Knowledge for a meal does not seem like a fair trade but it is still valuable.

Would she agree?
83 Posts
Ooc —
information wasn't a bad trade by any mean. especially if it meant she could bring back something useful to mereo, to the officers.

do those names happen to be important figures? a hit of her brow as she began to softly prowl the creek's bay. a sign that she was prepared to do the work on her end of this trade.
Akashingo
NPC
74 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Ah, there was interest. Bayek smiled and moved to follow a small distance from the woman. She had set her sights on the hunt, but her question still left him buzzing. The names had not even sparked familiarity in her – they were entirely unknown. The Medjay had always hoped to meet others, wolves like this one. Good fortune smiled on him.

They are gods.

As the man found a good pace with the huntress, he cast his gaze on her.

Bastet is the goddess of protection, pleasure, and a bringer of good health. She took the form of a cat.

Bayek could not help but smile.