Emberwood Not The Plan
Sister
Though she be old, she is fearless.
185 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
@Warbone : Assuming this takes place right after Novas thread with Luke and Spring, but ill have to be vague with it since it hasnt been resolved.

Nova Rose was still numb and processing what had happened at the borders of Phoenix Maplewood, processing it silently in her own mind. Her ginger and cream fur was still ruffled and dirty, and she couldn't help but limp. Her creaky frame, though strong, was no longer used to such a beating, and Nova knew she'd be feeling the brutalization for days to come. Coming upon a stream, the aging she wolf plopped down: no need to be gentle now that she was already hurting. Blood stained her pelt as well as dirt, and she began to lick it clean whilst losing herself in her mind. Her face, chest, and neck was tattered and matted with blood and grime, obviously wounds not hours old. Her ghostly eyes closed, letting the rhythm of her tongue strokes carry her away and leaving herself totally vulnerable as she tried to clean her wounds.
What was she to do now? The Phoenix Maplewood was no longer an option, Nova had made sure of that. But Luke's initial rejection of her stung deep, and made the old female realize it really was time for her to settle down. She would never rid herself of the magic wanderlust that seemed to constantly fuel her paws, but it was too much for her anymore. Soon she would be too old to defend herself, too old to take care of herself alone. She wanted to be able to give to her pack effort and work before becoming an old elder, only useful for her wisdom and experience, perhaps her naturally humorous nature would help her to form close bonds before that time came. 
That, or she died in the next year or two. Maybe three if she got lucky, thanks to her good health and activity. Dying wasn't something Nova looked forward to, in fact it was one of the very, very few things she feared. Not death itself so much, but what came after, though she was afraid of a painful death. She was afraid of not existing, of not having another chance. She wanted someone with her when she went, at the very least. And as of now, not a soul in the world that mattered to her would know if she were to drop dead in the next moment. The fact uneased Nova, and she began to think of her adopted daughter again. Was she really just going to leave Grace again, unknowing of where she would settle?
what's done is never done
385 Posts
Ooc —
Warbone moved in a slow ease, hunting for nothing and merely returning to the area he had already marked to roost for the night. The scent of blood distracted him, and the predator was riled, seeking the scent instinctively with a conditioned hound. A creek sang ahead, drawing his ears flickering atop his head as he tried to separate the water's babble from any other sound nearby— but he could hear nothing until suddenly his eyes had become more useful than his ears, and he stopped relying on them. A wolf lay ahead, ginger-furred and pepper-faced, cleaning wounds recently received.

Knowing how dangerous an injured wolf can be, Warbone approached slowly, making a low noise in his throat to catch her attention. His face is interested but otherwise unreadable.
if sins were etched into the surface of bones,
i’d need another skeleton to record all my wrongs
Sister
185 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Warbones low little noise was enough to rouse the female. Her eyes snapped open, instantly locking onto his with a ghostly blue gaze. It was wary, but a wise and friendly demeanor was obvious Though she stayed laying down, she tried to make herself seem stronger than she was, but the aging female could only do so much. It didn't help that her chest, neck, and face was well marked and still kinda bloody despite her cleaning. Her face, of course, she would need to wash in the stream, and was still as bloody as before. Nova didn't doubt that is was her injuries that brought him here, and the threat of yet another younger male was enough to make her worry of death. She wasn't sure, though, whether to be aggressive or friendly. She could be on this wolfs territory for all she knew, though didn't remember any borders. 
            "I'm not on your land, am I? I'll leave if need be."
385 Posts
Ooc —
"No," he responded softly, coming to a sit a few feet away from the female, wishing to further display his unwillingness to worsen her condition— that was, unless she wanted him to put her out of her misery. But though the female (who he could tell had been very striking in her prime) looked beaten, she certainly did not seem prepared to die or beyond help; it was the type of thing that drew out the paternal alpha in him, and without meaning to, he thought about Octavia and knew he would extend the same help here that he had offered previously to the last injured female he had come across. And the one before that— the red little minx whose name he had never received.

He looked over her faded gilded fur, noticing that a lot of her face had not been tended to, if only because her tongue could not touch the areas that needed it. "Your face needs tending. Would you like my assistance, queen?" he said, using the term he had been taught to refer to she-wolves her age, who were only good for child-bearing and story-telling as far as he was concerned, but were to be respected regardless.
Sister
185 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Nova, after her encounter just a little bit ago, was reasonably wary. This male HAD said this wasnt his land, perhaps that was the difference.... None the less, she kept her eyes on him even if they were friendlier. She, too, looked over the wolf across from her. He was built strong, with a mostly reddish tan pelt. Black and silver tinted here and there, and a pair of olive eyes looked over her own ginger, cream, and black furs. He spoke to her, and her pleasure was obvious in the perking of her ears towards him. Queen? Hm. She knew different packs, different cultures, referred to ranks differently. She could not tell if he was referring to her age or just because she was a female, but regardless the respect was clear and that was what mattered. THIS was the type of hello she'd wanted on the borders of Phoenix, only because she knew a wolf her age was no REAL threat to any of the young, toughened pack wolves. She truely had not meant to be disrespectful, though somehow it had been found. She smiled softly, most if not all of her worry gone. Why would he bother offering to clean her wounds just to hurt her? Nonsense. In turn, she dipped her head and showed him the respect he gave. Nova was the type of wolf who gave what she got: anger to anger, love to love. It was the way the world SHOULD be, she thought.
     "If you don't mind, that would be lovely Mr...."
She trailed off and tipped her head, awaiting a name she hoped to get. If given, she too would share her own name, such was the way of Nova.
385 Posts
Ooc —
"Warbone," he answered, obeying her given invitation and rising so that he might lay at her side. Her age gave him little cause for worry, and her injuries took away whatever apprehension there was left. He could end her, he thought, as easily as he could end an aged doe, but she was kin to him— as all wolves were— and his newfound desire to prove himself useful and worthy of being followed, drew him to do this act of kindness without reserve. Settling beside her shoulder, he craned his muzzle, extending a gentle, rasping tongue over the tender flesh that had been rent open by an enemy. Her (mostly) dried blood tasted hard an unpleasant, but he worked to the clean the wounds, and soothe the stinging he knew plagued her.

"How did this become of you?" Warbone asked conversationally, only pausing in his attention to her wounds to ask this before continuing.
Sister
185 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Nova let out an audible sigh of relief at his gentle cleaning, finally relieved of the burning itch shed been unable to touch without causing herself more harm. 
       "Nova Rose." 
She purred out her name, tail wagging behind her and ghostly eyes fluttering lazily now that her wounds didn't burn. She thought about his question and how to put words to what happened. 
               "I tried to join the pack my daughter is in now, and some brute thought I was being disrespectful. Hurt Grace, did thus to me, went against another pack mate above him in rank.... The alpha broke it up and sent me away without even asking if I was of use."
Her tone rose an octive or two, enunciating her distress with the topic.
385 Posts
Ooc —
His tongue continued to work over her words, but his ears twisted attentively as she spoke. Her story was unfortunate, but he could not form a valid opinion of it having not witnessed the occasion himself. His judgement was reserved for the wolves that attacked her, though he could tell from her tone that she was extremely upset by the whole thing. He thought it might mainly have something to do with the inability to join her daughter— but why wasn't the girl here with her mother? He knew nothing of their relationship, or what Nova Rose had done to be disrespectful and subsequently attacked, but whatever had transpired was enough to land the old wolf on her own. Without pack, and without kin.

Warbone was silent for a time, as was his disposition, but then finally he said: "since you believe you deserve to be asked, what use are you?"
Sister
185 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Nova took a moment to settle herself, breathing deep and focusing on his soothing strokes. His question surprised her though, why did he want to know? Perhaps he was an ambassador, searching for wolves for his pack? Close enough of a guess, though she didn't know it. However, his curiosity fueled her slight vanity, and she provided him with an answer since he was politely interested.... Plus, you know, he was cleaning wounds she would have had a very, very hard time doing on her own. His presence also would provide her protection, would a predator or other wolf come across her. Even if he had no intentions of protecting her or fighting for her, the sight of a fully grown young male wolf would cause most things to pause. Two fights in a row would certainly mean her demise, so she definitely appreciated him just BEING here.
                  "I dabble in healing, but it's not something I would make a life of. Im more of a counselor, and a storyteller. My life has solely been travel, and I like to believe I have some pretty good stories to tell."
She looked at him, blue eyes shining, and smiled. It was her turn to be curious now, and her tail wagged behind her. He'd seemed pretty neutral so far, but he'd offered her help and was at least slightly interested in her. Perhaps talking a little bit would open him up further?
                                "What about you? What do you do with your life?"
385 Posts
Ooc —
He felt, rather than saw, her perk up slightly beneath his at the pose of his question. Warbone realized then that she was a vain creature, a trait either retained from her beautiful youth or earned when she had reached a certain age, bestowing upon herself an expectation for respect. This may have contributed to her attack, he thought, but it was of little consequence to him. He thought she deserved indifference, if not respect because of her age. She was hardly a threat, regardless of if her tongue was polite or not. He didn't know much about her, but she seemed pleasant enough, even littered in injury.

Nova Rose's skills were typical of her gender and age. He couldn't very well have expected her to be some great hunter or warrior at this time, but she was certainly to be valued for her knowledge. She had seen many years and who knew how many miles had gone beneath her paws or how many things those very blue eyes had seen. He paused from tending to her wounds as she asked about himself, and his swiped his reddened tongue over his chops. Warbone had little qualm with answering questions asked of him "I spent half my life traveling, living a selfish and volatile life. But I seek to settle this year— start a pack, a family, perhaps," he mused, telling her the heart of his dream which he had not previously discussed before. "It is a mere delusion of mine for now. I will bring it to fruition as the opportunities to do so continue to present themselves to me."
Sister
185 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Nova shook out her head and neck fur, fluffing out her pelt from its recent soaking in both blood and saliva. It clumped a little bit, MUCH to her annoyance, and she resolved to take a dip in the river after the day was said and done. Right now, however, Warbone's words captivated her. She stood and stretched, wincing as she felt her wounds stretch and wetten. No matter, it would be that way till they healed. 
            "I'm not sure if it's all travelers, but I think each one who spends time alone and seeing the world becomes a little into themselves. So you became a bit selfish, I can't even TRY to say I'm not vain. We deserve happiness, even if some call it selfish. I don't know the levels of yours, but you are helping me now. That is not selfish, cleaning the wounds of an older wolf like me." 
The words of his settling made her stop and think. She had just been thinking of joining a pack, but she worried many packs would question her usefulness. Did this male? She gave him a curious, sideways glance through her ghostly eyes, and the next velveteen words that came from her muzzle were likely obvious. 
                    "Would YOU have use of an elderly female as myself? "
Luke and Saena's rejection burned her heart, and not just because of her vanity. It hurt her to think she wasn't of use, that nobody would WANT her. It was the main reason she had for never joining a pack, even if her wanderlust hadn't called to her all her life. She couldnt stop her flow of emotions, her silky voice wavering in uncertainty.
                                                 "Or are my skillsets not of value to a pack? I've been in and out of a few, but not since I really became older. I can defend myself, I can hunt. But I'm not battle fit and my hunting skills are average.... Would any alpha ever accept a wolf who only knows how to talk and tell stories?"
385 Posts
Ooc —
She said he was not selfish, and he would not correct her at that time, but she was mistaken. He did have his soft spots, but the elderly was not one of them. While he respected them, had he met her like this in the winter, or prior to his newfound desire for control of others, he would have ignored her. But as things were, she was of immense use to him, and the wolf, who openly claimed his invariable selfishness, does not disappoint now even if she does not see it that way. His tail lifted slightly, swaying back and forth in a slow wag as she questioned him— the wolves that had scarred her body had also scarred her mind, and he saw there a sliver of doubt in the honest she-wolf. Warbone pushed himself up into a sit.

"You have seen years beyond my own, and I find value in that. I cannot foresee your helpfulness, but I will find out," he said, tilting his head at her pensively. "I welcome other minds, when I have taken the time to think— your advice could prove priceless one day. And if I grow to trust you, and if it were something you might pursue, I would have you care for the children. Teach them manners and such while the more able-bodied keep us all fed and protected." 

Old wolves had their uses too. Even if it was just a babysitter.
Sister
185 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Nova's ghost eyes focused on him, relishing in every word. He found USE in her, even the small jobs. However, it was nothing she didn't love. She enjoyed caring for pups, especially telling them stories and watching their imaginations run wild. She didnt even realize her tail had started wagging behind her at the thought, nor the small and honest smile on her lips. Her fears had been calmed by this stranger, and she appreciated it even if he claimed to be selfish. She was sure he was, but she'd already accepted her own flaws. She, too, could be selfish and WAS incredibly vain. She, however, was the kind of wolf to always stop and see if someone were to need help. If she'd have stumbled in on her own predicament, she'd have done much the same as Warbone: offering to clean the wounds, offer whatever sort of help she could give, be it food, healing, or something else. It was just how she was. Not that there weren't bad times, far from. She'd come to find Grace after having to deal with some old threat, though it was likely that adventure wouldnt ever be spoken of. 
                  "Thank you, Warbone. Your words mean a lot, as have your actions today towards me. Would you ever need my help, I would be honored to do what I can. Have you found any places that might suit your heart, to settle your future pack?"
She had no doubts in her mind that he would one day have a thriving pack of his own, and little thoughts were pushing into her head, subconsciously pushing her to join the young male.
385 Posts
Ooc —
"I do have a place," he purled, his head automatically turning in the direction that he intended to invite her in, and then slowly he looked back towards her. "And you can help me, by following me to this place and obeying me," he stated bluntly, an amused glint in his starless eyes. "In return, I will put my life on the line for yours, as long as we both live." She needed only to concede, and he would take her to the hush of the willows— a possession now of the titan; and he would devour whatever sought to take from him what was his.
Sister
185 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Nova considered his words heavily for a moment, but she had little choice. She hoped he was as good of a soul leading the pack as he was now, inviting her to his ranks. 
        "I ask only for respect I deserve when it is due and I, Nova Rose, WILL pledge myself to you and the pack in any way you see fit."
Its not as if she could leave, should Warbones pack not suit her needs. But so far she liked this male, and nodded. Her ghostly eyes peered in the direction in which he'd mentioned, wondering what sort of a future awaited her there. But then another thought joined her  newfound excitement for the next adventure. Grace.
                "My daughter. She is a hunter, and will be learning of healing. Should she decide to follow me, would you be willing to give her a shot?"
385 Posts
Ooc —
You can archive here or post once more if you'd like :) Thanks for the thread!

"Respect is always given where it is due, in my presence," he rumbled, beginning a slow trot in the direction of Hushed Willows. Along the way he would explain the importance of the required secrecy of their pack's inner workings, and the communal den he had discovered that was to house all of his wolves. But she posed her own information and question first, and he padded on without missing a beat. Another body would certainly be helpful. "You may bring her, if she likes, but she is to be asked first, and should she refuse the offer then she is never to see the inside of the Keep." He didn't need to ask if she understood that his word was now Law, so he left it at that, expecting her obedience. He didn't know how Nova Rose would go about communicating with her daughter after she had so recently been sent violently away, but he would leave it up to her to bring up or execute that plan on her own.

By nightfall, he was introducing her to the Willows he had marked his own.
Sister
185 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Accepting his answer as a good one, she loped off after him in a pace that kept her wounds from being hurt but also placed her two or three feet from his flank. He spoke of Grace next, and again she accepted his words.
        "I understand, ALPHA."
She called him by the title she would have to get used to, intrigued by the word itself. She'd never before BOWED to another wolf, despite having joined a few packs in her time. None had showed her the respect she so desired, nor flamed her vanity, both of which Warbone had done today. It was worth a shot and if it didn't work out, well, the road was always accepting. As for Grace, well, that was already handled. She was not sure when or if her adopted daughter would be leaving the maple wood, but she intended on staying close. Shed scented her in the emberwood, faint and stale, but there. That meant she could leave the borders, and they already had a meeting planned.