Silver Creek Empty Pawed
Sometimes you just have to throw on a crown and show them who they're dealing with.
227 Posts
Ooc —
Amber had, after the meeting about Laurel and Indra, been secluding herself from everyone. Her pack members had lashed out at her for speaking an opinion, acted like she didn't care as much as them.... Well, maybe she shouldn't. Bitterness overcame her, and there was a time in which she howled to her sister @Spring letting her know that she'd be back, but that she was leaving to look around the Hinterlands. Heston had crossed her mind, too, and she felt guilty leaving him behind without even greeting his entrance to the Creek, but reasoned with herself in saying that she would return eventually to fulfil his other wishes. Anyways, it's not like they even were something.... Right?
Bitterness ruled the shadowy fae's life for the next month: how dare they treat her like she didn't know the weight of her words? Something deep inside her kind of wished that Casmir and Laika went all the way out there for nothing, didn't find the girls. As she'd said, perhaps they were right here in the hinterlands? It was worth a shot to look, and perhaps it was just because it gave her a reason to be gone, but Amber did spend most of her month away looking around for any signs of the girls. Unfortunately, nothing, but she still hoped that the search party came up with nothing out of spite- of course all the while praying that the little girls were okay- and as the moon reached the end of a cycle, Amber had to go back. As upset as she was, there was no point in giving up her place in a pack ruled by her sister with a chance at love and happiness just because someone said something she didn't like. The black-pelted woman would have to get over it. Even so, when she reached the borders, she crossed them without worry, sighing ever so slightly and right away howling for and searching out the one that could give her comfort: @Heston. Spring was always around too, but the last time the Ciel sisters tried talking was embedded in her mind: Spring hadn't wanted to talk about anything in depth, despite Amber's sureness that something had been the matter. Even without that, the brown woman hadn't defended her sister, either, and that hurt just as much as Casmir and Rowan lashing out at her.
[Image: Z077D80.jpg]
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
The howl that reached his ears confused him for a moment. He listened to the tones on the wind, wondering how they were so familiar and yet not. After only a second, however, he recognized Amber's voice. He was surprised and wasted no time in heading towards the sound. He'd not seen or smelled Amber since they'd parted ways before he joined. He'd thought to seek her out once within the pack, but with her scent scarce he had been forced to give up. 

He wondered where she'd gone, why she had left. Had she been assigned a mission by Spring he didn't know of? He knew nothing of the meeting where the others had protested to Amber's answers. He arrived with a pleased but confused expression on his face, tail waving. "Amber!" He greet, trotting up to her. "Where have you been? I looked for you when I was accepted but...your scent wasn't fresh anywhere." He couldn't smell any injury or sickness on her, thankfully.

He tilt his head at her as he wait for her answer, a lopsided smile playing across his face. There was concern in his eyes, though, and while he'd missed the jesting they'd done he couldn't simply shake away the confusion and concern just yet.
Sometimes you just have to throw on a crown and show them who they're dealing with.
227 Posts
Ooc —
Heston came to her swiftly, and approached in confusion at first. She could understand, seeing as hed been a member for a while and she hadn't yet to see him. The pale man seemed happy, though, and wasn't shy on asking where she'd been. The shadowy fae padded forward, meeting him with a butt of her head against his shoulder playfully. Already, she felt better. 
                        "Sorry, Heston, I left for a little while. Felt a little underappreciated, I guess, so I decided to go and look for the girls outside of the borders."
Her tone was a little downcast, but she seemed happy enough now-even if it was only because she had company for the first time in a month.
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
She approached him swiftly and butt her head against him. He chuckled, snapping playfully at her, tail waving. He shrugged his shoulders, shaking his head a little. "You don't owe me an apology Amber. I just...didn't understand what had happened. It was just confusing meeting someone you think is  a packmate, only to not be able to find them once you're in." He tilt his head at her underappreciated comment, wondering what exactly had happened.

"I take it you didn't find them?" He said, his voice sad. Did she know Casmir and Laika had gone off to retrieve them? "So are you back now, officially?" He asked, raising a brow at her. "Has the underappreciated feeling been resolved?" He wouldn't pry openly into ehr business, he wouldn't directly ask her why she'd felt unvalued. "At least I'm here now," He grinned, winking playfully and exaggeratedly at her. "You can appreciate me all you like, now. And without having to follow me outside the borders."
227 Posts
Ooc —
Amber swiped her tail out of the way just in time, bouncing a foot or so away before sliding closer again, beside him this time, and nipping gently at his ear. She was thrilled to hear he wasn't upset with her, just had been confused.
             "Good: I was afraid you were cross with me. I still owe you wishes, so I had to come back."
She stressed the 'had' and rolled her eyes as if she meant she really had to, but the grin painted on her ebony face clearly told the world she was joking. 

His question, though, sobered her giddiness. Her face fell into a mask of writhing emotion: sadness, guilt, anger. No, no she hadn't found them. Her thick frame pulled away in the slightest, sagging as if a great weight was lowered on her saddle.
                                "N-No. I assume Casmir hasn't found them either, then. Are they back?"
His other questions didn't bother her nearly as much, even bringing a shy smile to her face. These ones showed he cared, was worried for her. All she could offer was a shrug and a few mumbled words, unsure what to say about how she felt or even if she wanted to talk about it.
                                                           "I'm back, yes, but you're the first person I've seen-literally JUST came back over the borders. Not sure where I stand, though."

She was glad for the change of subject then, perking up and sending another nip to his neck at his wink and prancing away a few feet. Spinning around in a play bow, growling playfully, she giggled.
                                                                                       "I'll be glad to appreciate you, as long as you can appreciate me too."
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
He smirked and chuckled as she spoke of wishes. "Yes, you still do owe me quite a few wishes, don't you?" He still had no plans as to what he would ask for, but it was good that Amber remembered them. He watched her face fall and his own eyes dropped to the ground. "I hope they have." He replied softly, raising his gaze again. "They haven't returned yet, that I know of. Casmir was ready to make heads roll, though. I'd bet my tail on them bringing them home." And he would have too, he had faith in Casmir and in the fierce protective love he'd seen the male display.

She shrugged away his questions as to her feelings and he nodded, understand that as a polite way for her to tell him to not ask. His brows raised in surprise as he was told that he was the first one she'd seen since coming home. He couldn't stop the next question from falling from his lips. "Will Spring be cross with you?"

She nipped his neck affectionately and he poked her again with his muzzle in a friendly manner. His smile played across his face. She bow before him, playful and giggling and his tail waved. He stepped forward to go after her, to initiate the play more, yet Spring flashed through his mind again. And behind her face, he recalled Saena's. "Before we get too caught up...we should call for Spring. She might be worried about you, or did she know you were leaving? She's been a little depressed lately, for good reason." The girls were such a blow to her he knew, and it likely mirrored her loss for her own children that he'd only recently learned of.

"And...Saena came back." He said, his voice clearly puzzled, looking at Amber as if she'd have answers. Now he was just catching her up. Did she know Saena? "Were you here before Saena left? I ran into her on accident recently, she surprised me."
227 Posts
Ooc —
He still didn't seem to have any wishes, but that was okay for now. All the fae wanted to do was relax, forget the worries she'd been brewing on the past month-but Heston's words darkened her eyes, and her smile faultered again. Sure, she understood, but it didn't call for the way she'd been lashed at. Her words came out a little sharper than she intended, but tears filled her eyes. 
            "Yeah, I was one of them. All I said was that they might not be there, and that we couldn't possibly send the entire pack to fight a war across the Teekons. Casmir snapped at me-though was the only one to apologize- and Rowan did too. My own sister growled at me, didn't even say a damn word, and the meeting went on like I wasn't even there."
She was bitter, it was obvious, but she was more hurt than anything. Sure, she knew that nobody really had meant to do it, that they were all just worried about the girls, but that didn't ease her own isolation. 

The silvery male began to follow her play, but then he asked if Spring would be cross-that they should call her. That she'd been.... depressed. Pulling out of her bow and letting her ears fall, tears still shining in her eyes, the ebony woman shook her head. So there had been something wrong with Spring that day. 
                                    "Glad she talked to someone about her problems, but refused to let her sister know."
These words were icy cold, but mumbled under her breath-not that Heston wouldn't hear anyway. Saena's return surprised her, but all she offered was a shrug of her shoulders and a shake of her head-Amber hadn't been here that long, and had only heard the stories of the white alpha that founded the Creek- she knew nothing.
                                                                 "I'll talk to Spring later-I really just want to stop stressing out for a little while, Heston."
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
He listened to her speak, her words full of the bitterness of hurt feelings. His own ears flicked back and he watched her with concern. "I'm sorry, Amber." He wanted to try to soothe the situation, to say he was sure that Rowan hadn't meant it, nor had Spring. But he couldn't because he didn't know Rowan well enough. And Spring...he would never assume to speak for his alpha, for Spring. If she'd growled she'd probably meant it, but only because her heart was hurt. "Everyone will be estatic that you're back though. Emotions were running high that day, I'm sure, people just snap sometimes." He hoped he was helping.

Just as quickly as she had fallen into her bow she rose from it, tears gleaming in her eyes. He hated it when other's cried. He was a man who worked in laughter, sadness and tears were not his strong suit. He could comfort someone, sure, but typically with humor. He felt a flash of embarrassment as Amber lashed out at him and Spring, as if Amber could see the moment the pair had shared. He dropped his eyes from hers in the face of her bitter sadness, thinking about the conversation he and Spring had shared. They had shared much of their pains that day, and he recalled the feeling he'd had that day when he realize Spring had opened to him and not her sister. (To be fair, Amber hadn't been here to open up to, but all the same...he felt special.)

Amber stood before him, clearly wounded. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to stress you. I only...I just know if you were my sister I'd have been worried about you, especially with the girls and everything." Her shrug told him that she had not known Saena, so it placed that news on the back burner. He had very strong misgivings about playing around before Spring knew that her sister was back. He'd wondered about Amber himself, confused and worried about where she'd gone and he had met her just the once before this. Spring would likely be in a fit.

He sighed, moving over to Amber and nudging her in a gentle and friendly way. His tail waved before him softly. "What if I go with you to meet your sister? The trip can't be very stressful if you've got me to stare at the whole time, right?" He nudged her again playfully, his voice was kind but serious. "I'm sorry to push at you. I just...there's been a lot of sadness over these lands, with what happened. Spring might be worried to death that Reek hurt you, or who knows what. I'll gladly play a game of tag with you, or swim, or whatever. But let's go to your sister first, okay?"

He couldn't help thinking that Spring would be deeply hurt to know Amber had gone for someone other than her. He didn't want to see that hurt in her face, not after everything that had happened. Not after what he knew now. He didn't want to be involved in a falling out between sisters. It was all out of caring, for both Amber and Spring that he did this.
227 Posts
Ooc —
Heston apologized, tried telling her that everyone would be happy she was pack. This, Amber didn't answer, but only turned her face from him to let the tears soak into her fur. Emotions were high, the girls were gone, it didn't matter-nothing in Ambers ocean eyes could possibly justify the lashing out on a packmate. 
The white man looked quite awkward, if there was any word for him right now-clearly he wasn't so good with those previously mentioned high emotions.... Or at least the sadness. He apologized again, this time for stressing her, claiming that if he was Spring, he'd be worried. At this, Amber was not happy: wasn't he listening? Spring had growled at her, lashed out for giving an honest opinion-she didn't want to talk to her own older sister, even when she'd pushed and prodded for Spring to open up before she'd gone. Why would the alpha care so much if she'd been gone-one she'd more or less announced-for a few weeks?
                          "Worried as she was, she never once looked for me-and I was in the Hinterlands. Nobody came to look for me, or even to help out. Why should I believe that everyone was so upset over my leaving? They knew I'd be back."
He came closer, nudging her playfully but pushing again for her to call for Spring. While his touch was welcomed-she leaned into him like a bug drawn to light-his bribe was not. Ears pinning, Amber rumbled deep in her chest, and the result was one firm word: 
                                                                     "No."
Her eyes turned up to him, almost pleading to stop pushing, to just let her decide on her own when to find her sister. For a brief moment, there was a flicker of wonder in Ambers heart-did he fancy Spring? Was Amber wrong in her flirting with him?- that broke it almost in the same moment. Why else would he care for her opinion so much? Sure, she was alpha-but he wasn't pushing her to go because she would get into trouble, no, he was worried of Springs emotions. Closing her eyes and choking briefly on a sob, Amber trembled, but didn't hesitate with her words. The ebony woman prayed he stayed-that he was interested in her- and kept her company.
                                                                                       "Look, I can handle going to her myself-and I will, once I'm comfortable. But that isn't now.... Are you going to hang out with me, or not?"
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
He reasoned that Amber had a point. If Spring had worried, why hadn't she looked for her sister? Heston knew she had much on her plate, being alpha, and with the girl's missing and Saena returning...well, maybe she hadn't been able to. Yet Amber was right. He realized too he was pushing himself into the situation and assuming the relationship between the two females. Maybe Spring knew Amber would be back, and hadn't truly worried.

As he nudged at her she rumbled, denying his request firmly. Her rumble sent him stepping backwards, widening the space between the again. His ears flattened too, and he tilted his head at her. She stared up at him, pleading with him and yet firm all at once.  He wasn't trying to hurt her feelings either, by pushing. He was trying to think of both of them. At least, he thought he was. Amber was making it clear that going to Spring now would be favoring her sister's feelings. He still didn't approve, still felt in his heart that she should seek out Spring first, but he relented. 

"Well," He shrugged his shoulders, fixing her with a sad but honest look. "I didn't know you'd be back. I can only assume that if I missed you, and we've only met the once, the others would too." A soft sigh escaped him. "I'm sorry Amber. You go to Spring when you feel ready. It's not my business to tell you how to live." He realized he missed his family too, his siblings. Had he always cared so deeply for them, or had it only come about after the incident with the other pack? He didn't think he'd ever realized what he had when he was with them, it was too easy to take for granted. Perhaps he was just projecting. "I think I'm just...forcing my own thoughts on you. I'm sorry, yes, we can hang out."

He smiled softly at her, and waved his tail a few gentle sways through the air, his white flag. Still he hung back though, unsure of approaching after the rumbled response and the obvious tension.
227 Posts
Ooc —
Much to her relief, Heston backed off-both literally and in his pushing. So maybe the sudden lack of attention was not what she wanted-his words quelled her tears and gave her the moment needed to collect her emotions. 

When she turned her ocean gaze back at him to see him rather upset looking, well, guilt settled on her shoulders. Had she been too quick to snap at him? 
No. Bad as she felt for it, the woman knew it was her decision. What sense was there going to Spring all worked up and angry? 

Standing and stepping forward to again close their distance, Amber moves to press herself into his chest as he finishes talking, her own ears falling down with a sigh. 

"I'm sorry, Heston. I-I didn't mean to be so...."

Trailing off, the obsidian femme didn't know what word to put to her raging emotions right now. She didn't think of the fact that it'd been six months since her last heat, that she was being hormonal-she could only put the blame on who'd last upset her. Unfortunatley, that was her sister and a few other packmates. Hestons offer to finally hang out prompted the more-than-flirty nip to his shoulder, his smile sealing the badness of their conversation over, and bounded a few steps away.
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
They did not stand separated by anger for long. She moved forward before he had finished his sentence, pressing herself into his chest. He lowered his neck over the back of hers, a warm lupine hug. He nodded against her fur, his voice soft as he replied. "Forgiven. You're forgiven." You do not need to apologize. He thought. And then, quick as a flash she shoved the hurt and the badness, the near argument to the wind. She nipped at his shoulder in a flirty way and he rumbled deep, the sound likely vibrating her where she sat against his fur, before she leapt away. 

He was done trying to push her, so instead he would play. He would comfort her as she asked. She was a beautiful woman, and earning her laughter would please him. He lashed his tail and slapped his paws against the ground, bowing low at her. He stay there only a moment before using his hind legs to launch himself at her, still rumbling playfully. He snapped in her general direction, careful to never touch her (if she even let him get that close). 

Would they play chase again, he wondered? He thought idly that if all there interactions dealt with her running from him, he might have to reconsider her supposed fondness for him. He'd tell her as much, too, jokingly of course.
227 Posts
Ooc —
Her words had only just trailed off when he was forgiving her in a soft tone - and lord did she wish she could spend forever pressed into his chest - and her heart soared. His rumble vibrated the two of them, but then she was bounding off and waiting for him to follow. 

This time, however, she did not run. They bowed at each other for mere moments before he sprung- and unlike last time, Amber only lept to the side to avoid a clash. In seconds, she'd turned to meet him with playfully snapping fangs and prodding paws. The ebony fae was not blind to his carefulness of her, his attention to where his jaws went- and the Ciel returned that gentleness with gusto. She pushed forward with a giggle, forcing him to either fight back or get shoved by the bulky woman - and it was accompanied with curious, almost yearnful words as she remembered their last meeting. The feelings rising in her for the man were undeniable, but the sting of the fact she might not be the one kept her from speaking her direct thoughts.

"Are you ever gonna ask me for those other wishes, Heston?"
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
He need not voice his comment aloud though, for she returned his bow but only leapt to the side. She did not flee before him, for him to give chase. She turned to face him and they snapped and lashed gently at each other, both careful not to touch but enjoying the game all the same. She pushed into him suddenly and he mimed as if the hit had been huge. 

His breath expelled from him in a gasp and he fell backwards onto his rump. He crossed his eyes in an attempt to appear dazed and wobbled his head on his neck. He stopped after only a second, smirking at her. He was about to make a comment of her man-handling him, but she spoke first. Her voice was full of longing, curious but almost fearful somehow. He didn't understand, and his brows furrowed.

"Of course." He said simply, staring at her as if waiting for her to continue. But soon his own voice spilled the space. "I don't want to waste them on silly things. If I only have two I want to make them count." He spoke with the air of confusion across his words, he didn't understand why she was asking or what she truly meant. What did she expect him to wish for? It was, perhaps, a little dense of him. "You just want me to get them over with so they're not hanging over you're head. Well, that's not happening. I'll keep them as long as I wish. Until I'm on my death bed if I please." He sniffed haughtily and lifted his nose skyward, casting her a glance from the corner of his eye as the smirk threatened to spread.
227 Posts
Ooc —
Every place he touched her lit aflame, and excitement coursed through the Ciel. At his exaggeration, she belted out a laugh, thumping a paw against his shoulder - but it was then the mood seemed to drop. Her eyes practically begged him to say something, anything that was playing through her mind, and she reached out with the beginnings of a smile- but he didn't, and her heart dropped like she'd swallowed a stone. Face falling into a mask of quiet numbness, Amber had to take a deep breath before she was able to squeak out an overly lax response. 

"Silly things... Right. You shouldn't waste your wishes." 

Amber heard the confusion in his voice, saw the question in his eyes - but the fae just couldn't bring herself to explain. Her heart ached for the words to be said, to ask him what he really thought of her - but his ignorance was like a smack to the face, especially when she couldn't pull her eyes from his. Maybe he really was involved with Spring - maybe he was playing dumb. At his playful accusation, Amber winced as if he'd really been cross - but it was only her own lack of courage in the moment that hurt. Her words were kind, but rushed, forced - like she really was in trouble with him and had to make up some quick excuse.

"I-I was just curious. You can keep them forever and ever - use them in another life, if you want."
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
He was being rather obtuse, truth be told. Perhaps if his mind weren't so interested in Spring he would have thought what exactly he could use the wishes for. More kisses? Cuddles? A date? The possibilities could be endless. Yet, his mind was firmly in friend mode and even more firmly in gentleman mode. A gentleman does not bribe a kiss from a woman, ever. Had he been flat out asked he wouldn't understand why he'd not thought of those things. His attraction to Spring wasn't something he was entirely aware of yet. It simply was.

He eyed her for a moment, unsure of this sudden mood change. "Can I wish for more wishes?" He asked after a moment of quiet confusion, waggling his brows at her and trying to earn a smile. At least if he had many wishes he could waste a few, and maybe that would make her less sad.

He missed the wince with his nose turned playfully skyward, but he slowly lowered his head when his joking action didn't earn the reaction he expected. Her answer came out quickly, forced almost. "You're really still hurt over the whole lashing out thing, aren't you?" He said, suddenly realizing. "I was supposed to be making you feel better, I guess I'm doing a bad job of it, hm?" He sighed and rose to his feet, heading towards her again. "Can I wish for you to be happy again? Or is that cheating?" He said softly, offering her another grin. "I won't save these for the next life. I'm sure you'll be slow there too. I'm not that patient." He smirked at her, but his eyes were still soft and kind. To that effect he also didn't know if he believed there would be a next life.
227 Posts
Ooc —
Amber could tell he noticed the change in the air, but didn't seem to notice why - and she never did offer an explination. Instead, at his question, she forced a sad smile. Maybe if he had more wishes, he would use one - but there was little hope for this. 

"You can wish for all the wishes you want."

Heston made an attempt at guessing what was wrong, and Amber shook her head. She didn't really care about lashing, having pushed it away in favor of her thoughts of the man before her. On one thing, he was right: he wasn't very good at cheering her up right now. Not that she'd let him see, of course. She attempted a joke, but it, too, was strained and dull.

"No, I'm just tired - been traveling a lot, remember?"

Wishing for her to be happy again - that one broke her shell of sadness and morphed her face into one of surprise. Maybe it was cheating - but the only way he could do that was read her mind. Maybe plant a kiss on her cheek... But those things weren't going to happen, and Amber wasn't making it easy on herself - just a few words, and that would end this painful game. She wasn't patient much, either - waiting until the next live was something she wasn't sure she could handle. She could barely handle the fact he wasn't using one every time they met!

"I don't think it works like that - Plus, you said you didn't want to waste your wishes, and I'm fine."
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
He chuckled at little at her response, but couldn't understand the sadness behind her smile even still. "Don't tempt me, Amber Ciel. You'll regret saying that if I hold you to it." He grinned a crooked grin, hoping that perhaps his joking would cheer her. He accepted her reasoning for what it was, not yet completely aware of her enough to sense the half-truth in her voice. Perhaps if they were closer he would have heard, perhaps if he'd had more time with her he would have understood completely. Then, perhaps if he had this wouldn't be happening at all.

"You have been traveling a lot lately. I'm glad your paws brought you back home, though. Do you need to rest, you think? I can walk you to your den. I'm even willing to go snag something to eat for you, just because I'm such a gentleman. You say the word, and I will." Issues with women were not so easily solved, he knew this, and yet he wanted to believe her happiness could come with rest and full belly.

She seemed surprised at his wish for her to be happy, though she quickly denied him the wish. He frowned sternly at her, lifting his brow. "They're your wishes to grant, so I won't argue...but, I'll say this. You happiness wouldn't be a waste, Amber. I enjoy your smile and your laughter, especially when I can cause the laughter by being my normally clever self." He winked, smirking playfully. "I was serious about the escort, and the food too." He stated again, unwilling to let her forget.
227 Posts
Ooc —
Amber allowed a brief giggle pass through her lips - it was short lived and weak, the tiny smile lingering only until she was done talking. 

"I wouldn't lie to you - You can have all the wishes in the freaking world."

As soon as she said she was tired, Heston was quick to offer her help - god, why couldn't they be closer? Why hadn't he shown up a few weeks eariler? Another small, appreciative smile spread across her ebony maw, but she found herself nodding before even thinking about it. With Amber, an offer of food was usually something that would make her better, if only for a while.

"I think I'll take you up on that offer."

Before she could tell him she was ready to go, he gave her a stern look, frowning and speaking very seriously at first. It turned joking soon enough, and she was glad to know he wasn't really mad at her, but the words stuck. 

"Thank you, Heston. For everything. C'mon, lets go find food."

Her voice was quiet, and she reached out to rub her muzzle against his cheek briefly before standing, turning, and walking a few tentative paces. She slopped, glancing over her shoulder to see if he would follow. 

Wanna fade with your post?
239 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Away
Her smile did not last long, and he knew this for what it was. A faked smile. Yet, he had latched on to the idea of food and rest, and he was eager for a simple fix. He was a bear when he was hungry and tired, it made sense for Amber to be sad. He smiled at words, the smirk hanging at it's typical crooked flag. 

"Well then, I'll take more. I won't be greedy, not terribly so. Five wishes. I'll take five." He watched her for a moment. "Too late to take it back, it's done. Sealed." He poked her gently with his nose, attempting to make her smile. "So when did you get wishes? Wanting me to hunt for you, hmm, madam?" He was teasing of course.

"Food it is for the lovely lady. To return the brightness to her eyes and the smile to her face." He turned to look at her once more as she rubbed her face against his cheek. He traced his nose against her own cheekbone but pulled away before the touch lingered too long. Now was time to find her food, and he need not upset her more by touching her when she didn't wish to be. Of course, this was one of the many few times that Heston was wrong, and it was most likely he'd read her sadness wrong entirely.