Blackwater Islands still clutching at moons and echoes and emptiness and shadow
fury, oh fury don't you misguide me
228 Posts
Ooc — Siro
Private 

Akantha waited by the shore until the sun fell from the sky, and failed to draw the Moon from her slumber. A vivid smattering of stars blanketed the sky in an incredible display—brilliant in the absence of her shining eye. The Matriarch rose and felt the sea surge into the void she left, greedily reclaiming what little land when and where She could. Though the water was cold against her skin, she felt a keen sense of purpose growing from the rising tide, and promptly set off to find her ward.

As she cut through the Thistlewood towards the Southern Shore, she did not stop to greet Galateia as she normally would though her heart pulled towards the she-wolf's usual haunt with a distinct, but unusual, sensation of longing. Any other time, Akantha might have stopped to investigate the feeling, but she was far too driven to complete the task set out for her by the Mothers that she chose to forget it entirely for now.

It didn't take her long at all to reach the area where Kalika's scent weighed heavy in the air. With a commanding bark, the Matriarch issued a summons to the Initiate.
Blood is running deep
Some things never sleep

Teal dialogue is Greek. Uncolored dialogue is common/english.
Check out NEREIDESpedia for more information.  
Fëafelmë
321 Posts
Ooc — Tweety Bird
The call of her Matriarch went almost unnoticed through the thick air of quiet contemplation. It had become a priority in Kalika's mind to speak more often with the Mothers, especially after Akantha's offers of promotion. As soon as the bark was picked up however, the blanched femme stood and immediately approached the Matriarch's side. Although she had an idea of what the next few crucial moments would entail, Kalika did not want to get ahead of herself and so stood silently, awaiting Akantha's next command.
228 Posts
Ooc — Siro
Have some inspiration that helped me write this post, haha. Here, and here!

Kalika arrived promptly, as expected. Akantha swallowed her anxiety and stepped forward to press a soft kiss to her young ward's forehead. Not a single word passed from her lips, but the love she felt slithered through the cracks to reflect boldly in her hazel eyes until she turned and bade the young woman to follow with a slow sweep of her arched tail. Together they walked with the Matriarch a step ahead as she led them to the place where Akantha sat only an hour before. Now the sky was an inky pitch, and the stars above obscured by the occasional cloud that drifted lazily by on an ebbing breeze. Before them lay an impressive display—a ring of alternating scallop-shaped and oyster shells surrounded a beautiful, but very small, collection of wave-tumbled quartz of colors ranging from smokey gray to pastel pink. It was a serene, simple, sight, but utterly fitting for the task at hand.

Akantha swung her great head around to regard her young companion with a soft smile, "Your task today is renewal." The Matriarch revealed, "The closed eye of the Mother Moon gives us a chance to begin again. To absolve ourselves of negativity, and find the strength to move forward." Her tone was clear, commanding and, yet, somehow comforting. It was a voice Akantha had practiced in private, but never used until now, and it filled her with the strangest, overwhelming sense of confidence—as if the Mothers themselves were lifting her up, and speaking through her; with her.

She continued, "I ask that you stand before this site and perform a cleansing for yourself, so that the Mothers may bear witness to your dedication." And, with that, she fell silent and curled her hindquarters beneath her so that she sat comfortably upon the sands. The only sound that filled the air was their rythmic breathing, and the gentle rush of the waves against the shore.
Blood is running deep
Some things never sleep

Fëafelmë
321 Posts
Ooc — Tweety Bird
Two delicate steps landed the young sylph in the middle of the rosey patch, her tail gracing over the shells. Although her heart initially raced with both anxiety and excitement, Akantha's reassuring words and explanation of the task at hand helped to calm Kalika. She gave one last look over her shoulder in a search for the Matriarch's eyes, then turned back in the direction of the Sea with her held tilted up to the Moon. Kalika sucked in one deep breath before beginning her prayer, hoping that the prayer would not fall on deaf ears.

I am bold and strong. I am confident. I am the Mothers' daughter
I am Her Fury and Her patience. I am Her, as They are me
I follow my heart's desires fearlessly but I am grateful for the lessons I have learned
I embrace the new beginning, and the unfolding path ahead
I am reborn with this New Moon​.

She didn't want to speak immediately to Akantha, nor did she wish to allow her eyes to trail from the Moon's gaze. So she stood watching, waiting for something to happen.
228 Posts
Ooc — Siro
Every fiber of her being surged with a sudden ache of anxiety as Kalika took her place among the circle and, with a final look back, lifted her head to the sky and began to speak. Please, she breathed to herself; to the Mothers; to whomever would guide her young pupil in the following moments. She felt the shift of the twin deities in her mind as they leaned, too, listening intently to the desires that came from deep within. The Matriarch focused on her own breathing—in and out, in and out. The presence of the Sea and the Moon was almost overwhelming, and she felt her own soul disconnect and stars erupt in her mind as the Goddesses poured themselves into her. 

Distantly Akantha was aware that Kalika decided to use her own prayer—she hadn't changed a word of it, and she felt something resembling pride at the fact. It did not take long for the Adept-hopeful to finish, but as soon as her voice faded in the air, it was replaced by sudden crash of a rogue wave against the shore. The Moon chuckled, the Sea smiled, and Akantha exhaled the breath she'd unwittingly held. Bring us to her, someone said. Akantha blinked away the spots of black threatening the edges of her vision and approached Kalika. then circled around her. Slowly, bid by the Sea and Moon, she reached over and pressed a kiss to the soft spot on her cheek—as a mother would her dearest daughter. 

The action was not lost on Akantha, but she was entirely in the throes now. The Mothers directed her to the water. The Matriarch stooped and wet her muzzle before returning to Kalika. She swiped the water across Kalika's forehead before drawing away, and smiling. She spoke then with the Voice, but only Akantha's familiar tones could be heard, "The Mothers have judged you and found you worthy," she said softly, "so it is with their Blessing that I bestow upon you the title of Adept. May the Moon guide you, and the Sea keep you."
Blood is running deep
Some things never sleep

Fëafelmë
321 Posts
Ooc — Tweety Bird
There were no words to describe the joy and pride that Kalika felt, but even beyond that, the unworthiness. It awed her that beings so great could see her as more than what she had been only moments ago. But with the confirmation of her place with Akantha's words and the Sea's agreeance, Kalika knew that it was somehow true. 

May the Moon guide you, and the Sea keep you. To you as well. Everything in Kalika's life was changing so quickly — not only was she the first of their band to reach a Respected rank, but she had also become a mother, which was something worthy of much more gratitude in her eyes. Because of her mother's choices, Calypso would know only fortune for the time she remained with the Nereids.
228 Posts
Ooc — Siro
With one great exhale, the twin dieties receeded, and Akantha was left feeling empty. Their presence was filling, and expanded her to a point that she did not feel whole without it. It was a queer sensation. There was no time to ruminate over it, because Kalika's sapphire gaze caught her own and she returned the smile—this time it was one entirely of Akantha's own make. There was little distance left between them now. Kalika still stood upon the ritual site she crafted, but a powerful urge struck her suddenly and she reached out to embrace the woman. "I am proud of you, my dear." She said softly and loosing her tongue to lap gently at the wispy fur of her Sister's shoulder.
Blood is running deep
Some things never sleep

Fëafelmë
321 Posts
Ooc — Tweety Bird
A low whimper nearly escaped Kalika as Akantha shared her pride. It had been years coming for something of the sort to happen to the young Adept; she couldn't remember a time in which anyone had ever praised her for the things that she did, so to hear the woman she respected the most tell her that someone had finally noticed was almost overwhelming. Thank you, she croaked as she nestled into Akantha's touch.
228 Posts
Ooc — Siro
The rare show of emotion from Kalika caught Akantha a bit off guard, but it only spurred her to embrace her tighter. They stood like this for a moment, as the waves crested and crashed into the shore, and the wind rustled the nettles of the firs. Akantha sighed as she released the Adept, and nosed her cheek as she pulled away. By all rights, she considered Kalika her own child—she would never admit it, but she truly loved the young woman, despite the differences in their virtues. 

With a flick of her ear, she looked down the beach, then back to her friend. "I'm starving," she remarked suddenly, "care to join me?"
Blood is running deep
Some things never sleep