Big Salmon Lake Dashing Thru' the Snow
I AM WEASEL, HEAR ME ROAR
61 Posts
Ooc — Bryndel
So I do usually have the policy, and have previously played it, that wolves can understand weaseltalk pretty readily. (I had it in Nynka's looking-for-threads post at one point but should probably put this down someplace more-obvious in fact, eep—thank you for the reminder!)
I honestly don't think it's that terribly fair or fun for most Wild Fauna players otherwise, with every single thread then automatically consisting of an awkward game of charades and/or having to start with a bunch of canine utter shock that "OMG this critter actually talks!!1one!." It fills up threadlogs and board with too much of the same old rehashed and frankly somewhat boring writing, and forces people into too much of a corner. We let our wolves talk straight to one another for convenience, and there isn't any good reason not to follow that same courtesy when it comes to fellow carnivorous mammals at the very least, IMO! *shrugs*  ;)  ...I can though see where hunting and eating things that talk gets weird/possibly uncomfortable fast, and think it makes more sense (and have seen more people playing as if) when birds and other more-distantly related creatures are less-intuitively understood, or at least have much stronger of an "accent" if they're not mute altogether.

TL;DR: There's no good reason not to let wolves and Wild Fauna understand each other, especially carnivorous ones, in my obviously-rather-biased opinion, and plenty of reason to let them. ...Though this all reminds me of my temptation to play a "dumb" wolf...lol.  >.>
Meantime, if you'd prefer to go back and edit or otherwise change stuff up in this thread somehow, let me know!  :)  I'll roll with it either way. (Though not understanding Nynka just gives her that much more of an excuse to be insulting and obnoxious ICly...sheesh.  @.@;;  lol.)

It took the winter-wooly canine a bit to get her "suggestions" through its thick skull; no real surprise there. Only irritation. Nynka did not have a very high estimate of most wolves' brainpower, and this certainly wasn't the first canid to exasperate her with its thick-skulledness. (Some in a much more literal sense than others...but that was another story.) The lithe little weasel ground her pointy little teeth, and was on the verge of hopping about and full-on shouting at the idiot wolf instead in the hopes this would somehow magically make her wishes clearer and more-quickly obeyed. But although slow, the canine did at last seem inclined to comply... just not, um, terribly competently, as it turned out.

Nynka watched, torn between laughter and disgust, as the wolf looked confusedly about and then threw himself overconfidently up into the air, only to misaim and come down in an unceremonious FLUMPH that left him buried from the ruff down. What an idiot. Her aggravation from a moment ago had mostly evaporated, however; there was something strangely almost endearing about the comical doofus of a wolf having so ineptly half-buried himself in one fell swoop right in front of her. Nynka smirked, but unusually enough refrained from further taunting of the creature right at the moment. One of the best things about this wolfy predicament, in fact, as she intuitively grasped, was that her lightfooted body could run right across the top of the crusty snowdrift's top to confront the inept creature face-to-face. Which she promptly did. Nynka shoved her tiny face at the wolf's skull close enough that their whiskers practically mingled, but for once her grinning mask lacked significant malice, and bore more the character of two friends having a good joke together.

Whoops? she said, teeth gleaming brighter than the snow as she enormously enjoyed the novelty of being able to look at one of the big dumb canines on their level, for a change, instead of having to cramp her neck looking far too far up. Need a little help there? And without waiting for an answer, she scurried to one side and set her busy little paws to digging. Bright arcs of scattering snowflakes glittered near-blindingly in the sun as her claws flashed rapidly and tossed them heedlessly all helter-skelter airborne.
Messages In This Thread
Dashing Thru' the Snow - by Nynka - December 14, 2018, 03:38 AM
RE: Dashing Thru' the Snow - by Dashiell - December 14, 2018, 08:12 AM
RE: Dashing Thru' the Snow - by Nynka - December 27, 2018, 04:55 PM
RE: Dashing Thru' the Snow - by Dashiell - December 31, 2018, 12:36 PM
RE: Dashing Thru' the Snow - by Nynka - January 10, 2019, 12:11 AM
RE: Dashing Thru' the Snow - by Dashiell - January 26, 2019, 11:06 AM
RE: Dashing Thru' the Snow - by Nynka - February 04, 2019, 01:31 PM
RE: Dashing Thru' the Snow - by Dashiell - April 05, 2019, 12:09 PM
RE: Dashing Thru' the Snow - by Nynka - April 10, 2019, 12:17 AM